• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

DS decision

What you really need is a Lite which is sleek, portable, and best of all it can still play GBA games.
I wouldn't call a system that turns off in my pocket every now and then particularly sleek. Also, how are any of the other DSs not portable? Even the XL fits in my pocket.

Phat? Too clunky and breaks easily. DSi/XL? Clunky and it gets rid of the GBA slot for a couple of crappy cameras and features that aen''t even good or needed. What you really need is a Lite which is sleek, portable, and best of all it can still play GBA games.

OBJECTION!

The Phat seems to me the most durable, but yeah it is clunky. (also can play GBA games and is cheaper than the Lite)

The DSi, wow that is not clunky at all. Maybe the XL is, but then I don't think Blaziking is in the XL's target audience. And tbh, I love the DSi's features. Sure they are pointless, but they aren't necessarily bad because of this. Oh, btw, among those features are a brighter screen, larger screen and better speakers, both of which IMO make the gaming experiance more enjoyable.

Also, how is the DS Lite anymore portable than the Phat or the DSi? I've carried around both a DS Lite and a DSi in my pocket before, and IMO, I'd say if any of the DSes are the most portable, it would be the DSi. It is slimmer and lighter than the Lite for one thing, meaning it slips in and out of your pocket better. Also, it's power button isn't on the side of the sytem, meaning you won't accidently turn your DS on/off when it is in your pocket. Another thing...the DSi is just as sleek as the DS Lite. The only possible way the Lite could look sleeker would be the shiny look it has, and I get fingerprints on mine all of the time.

Have you even picked up and played a DSi before?

tl;dr: People need to have proper experiance with both variations on a system before arguing in favor of either one.

OBJECTION!

The Phat seems to me the most durable, but yeah it is clunky. (also can play GBA games and is cheaper than the Lite)

The DSi, wow that is not clunky at all. Maybe the XL is, but then I don't think Blaziking is in the XL's target audience. And tbh, I love the DSi's features. Sure they are pointless, but they aren't necessarily bad because of this. Oh, btw, among those features are a brighter screen, larger screen and better speakers, both of which IMO make the gaming experiance more enjoyable.

Also, how is the DS Lite anymore portable than the Phat or the DSi? I've carried around both a DS Lite and a DSi in my pocket before, and IMO, I'd say if any of the DSes are the most portable, it would be the DSi. It is slimmer and lighter than the Lite for one thing, meaning it slips in and out of your pocket better. Also, it's power button isn't on the side of the sytem, meaning you won't accidently turn your DS on/off when it is in your pocket. Another thing...the DSi is just as sleek as the DS Lite. The only possible way the Lite could look sleeker would be the shiny look it has, and I get fingerprints on mine all of the time.

Have you even picked up and played a DSi before?

tl;dr: People need to have proper experiance with both variations on a system before arguing in favor of either one.

yes, I've played a DSi. And yes it is clunky,since it's so big and gwacky, making it not nearly at portable as the Lite which is smaller and thus better to carry around.

Erm, I'm pretty sure the DSi is a little smaller than the Lite, unless I'm horribly mistaken. Of course the XL is, ah, larger than the Lite, though.

yes, I've played a DSi. And yes it is clunky,since it's so big and gwacky, making it not nearly at portable as the Lite which is smaller and thus better to carry around.
I've had every iteration of the DS so far. And the DSi is smaller than the DS lite. Not by any noticeable amount, but it still is. I'm calling BS.

The DSi may be a little longer, but it is thinner. So I'm not seeing how it is "clunky" at all.

Seriously, can you give any other reason other than it's slightly longer than the DS Lite?

Don't buy the Dsi. No point whatsoever.

It depends. If you love playing handhelds and plan on eventually getting a 3Ds (unlike me), you should just wait it out and perhaps get a GBA/SP. If not, you could always buy DS/DS Lite for about 70, and still get the 3DS later.

Don't buy the Dsi. No point whatsoever.

It depends. If you love playing handhelds and plan on eventually getting a 3Ds (unlike me), you should just wait it out and perhaps get a GBA/SP. If not, you could always buy DS/DS Lite for about 70, and still get the 3DS later.

Except, you know, for the better screens and speakers. Really contributes to the gameplay experiance.

Anyways, I still think his best choice is to get a used Phat. It'll be the cheapest, unless you decide that you can wait till the 3DS to play DS games, then go ahead and get the SP.

Except, you know, for the better screens and speakers. Really contributes to the gameplay experiance.

But for some the bigger screen and better speakers don't do anything. And most people that would want a bigger screen and better speakers would most likely rather use a PSP, or are better suited for console gaming. The bigger screen and better speakers on the DSi do nothing for me; they just make me feel like I'm using a bastardized PSP :c

And most people that would want a bigger screen and better speakers would most likely rather use a PSP, or are better suited for console gaming.
How are these at all related? I own both a PSP and an XL, and I enjoy playing on the XL much more than the PSP.

I used an XL in a shop once. The screen is really very nice, and if my Lite broke and there was *no* way for me to get another, I'd get an XL.

Also guys the DSi and the Lite look almost the same?? The only differences are the GBA port and the camera feature, really.

Well first of all, that's complete bullshit. If - geegasp - slightly "better" screens for mediocre handheld graphics and slightly "better" speakers, which, in all honesty, are going to barely amplify crappy handheld game soundtracks are your thing, be my guest.

/rage

But that's not even the point. There's no reason for one, who wants to be able to play GBA games, to buy a two hundred dollar handheld to play DS games when one s planning to buy a 3DS in future months. The smartest thing to do is to get the cheapest DS on the market, which will most likely hold you off till the new handheld comes out. Or just keep your old one and get a SP.

Someone's obviously missed the part where I said go with the Phat/Lite. MULTIPLE TIMES.

I'm just not understanding why people hate on the DSi so much. YOU don't have to buy it, YOU don't have to worry about the lack of a GBA slot, and YOU probably aren't even in the target audience if you are so worried about having the ability to play GBA games.

I'm just defending the DSi against this crap it gets on the grounds of hey, you know, it really isn't what you guys described it as. You can dislike the DSi, but a lot of this hate seems really unfounded. :/

From all of this, I'm gauging the DS as the most fragile piece of Nintendo tech yet. Mind you, that's not saying much, Nintendo hardware is nigh upon indestructible.

I dunno, I'd say the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance are both a lot more easily breakable than the DS. I've kept all of my portable systems in my backpack for extended periods of time, and my GBC got broken that way... the screen got damaged somehow and is mostly full of black no matter what I do, and it doesn't seem to be able to read games anymore.

nqtxzs.jpg

My GBA is in a lot better condition (the battery cover broke off, but that's it), but after the GBC's screen broke I stopped leaving it in my backpack for very long at a time, so I'm not sure if it's really more durable than the GBC or not.

The DS has been through the backpack treatment for weeks at a time and has been dropped a couple of times (though never onto concrete or anything), and the only thing that's ever gone wrong with it is the L button... and that seems to have fixed itself over time.

Nothing beats the original Game Boy for indestructibleness, though... I still have mine and it works perfectly despite being 15 years old, having been dropped onto concrete several times (one of which broke off the plastic screen cover), and having been taken on a lot of camping trips where it was probably exposed to more moisture than something electronic should be. Heck, the battery cover hasn't even fallen off yet, and that seems to always be the first thing to go on GBCs and GBAs.

Last edited:
I've had a phat for a couple years now and it hasn't broken yet. The only things I don't like is that the headphone jack is in a strange spot that makes some headphones only fit enough for mono and the fact that new styluses don't fit in the stylus holder. I still haven't found a place that sells phat's stylus! But other than that, my DS works perfect. I haven't really used any of the other DS's so I don't really have an opinion on those.

The DS has been through the backpack treatment for weeks at a time and has been dropped a couple of times (though never onto concrete or anything), and the only thing that's ever gone wrong with it is the L button... and that seems to have fixed itself over time.
I have dropped mine onto concrete, from roughly 3 and a half feet up, and all that resulted was a scuff on the corner that hit the ground. I think the screens are less inclined to breakage due to the clamshell design, though, as the screens aren't exposed most of the time.

My GBA is in great shape, but I kept it relatively safe, as I have a pouch for it so I usually don't toss it into a backpack or something. In fact, I keep my handhelds in general safe. Treated my GBC the same way, tended to keep it in-sight, in my hands, or in a pouch (which had Pikachu on it).

Nothing beats the original Game Boy for indestructibleness, though... I still have mine and it works perfectly despite being 15 years old, having been dropped onto concrete several times (one of which broke off the plastic screen cover), and having been taken on a lot of camping trips where it was probably exposed to more moisture than something electronic should be. Heck, the battery cover hasn't even fallen off yet, and that seems to always be the first thing to go on GBCs and GBAs.

Anybody who has been to Nintendo World has witnessed the GB's indestructibility first-hand. Don't know if they still have it, but one exhibit they had was a Game Boy that was caught in an IED blast in Iraq. The buttons are melted and pretty much unpressable, but the thing still turns on.

Back
Top Bottom