• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

Oh, I like these. A lot more than Kratos's methods, for sure.

What about flinching? I looked around to see how refs generally made it work a while back, but every instance I could find just seemed to prevent the attack entirely, which the first post advises against.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also Zhorken, I think that's just people forgetting that Negrek changed the way flinching works here.

What about flinching? I looked around to see how refs generally made it work a while back, but every instance I could find just seemed to prevent the attack entirely, which the first post advises against.
Flinching I treat similarly to things like taunt, encore, and so on--it works really well at first, but loses effectiveness with repeated use. Usually flinches happen rarely enough (using one fake out shot, getting lucky and hitting a low flinch-chance attack) that they stop everything when they do appear.

Both confusion and attraction start at 50% chance of failure, with the chance of failure falling off by 5% per action that failure does not occur. They fade faster if the pokémon takes damage: an attack that deals 1-5% damage to the afflicted pokémon reduces the failure chance by 5%; 6-10% damage, 10%; >10%, 15%. It is therefore possible for attraction or confusion to go from severe (50%) to moderate (25%-35%) after a single action, if the afflicted gets blasted by a powerful attack right after getting confused. Ideally, these effects will last ~3-5 actions, with one or two failures occurring during that time, although there is the possibility that they will last a fair amount longer if the opponent plays conservatively.
Can confusion be worsened by say, attacks like Flash or Uproar? Like if a pokemon made bright lights appear or echoed noise around or something.

Am I doing something wrong?
Oh, not at all, I still like yours! I just like these more. I like that they each work as a single progression instead of having all the severities to keep straight.

I don't like the significant RNG presence in Negrek's sleep method, though, now that I think about it. Does it sound reasonable to just start sleep out at six actions and drop it by one action for each, say, 6% damage the Pokémon takes at once?

EDIT: I guess the others are pretty RNG-heavy too, but I mean their durations are predictable. But then again, sleep is completely predictable with regards to what is and isn't going to fail, so I guess it's fair; there'd be about as much of a need to mess around with conditionals. Hmm.

Yeah, never mind, I like the wake-up chance method.

Last edited:
Once a Pokemon uses Hidden Power in battle, is it aware of its typing for the rest of the battle? For example, could you order your Pokemon to do this:

"Alright Joe, start with Hidden Power. For the next two actions, if your Hidden Power turns out to be Dragon or Ice-type, use it again, and if it's another type, use Take Down."

If your pokemon is encored into, say, substitute or something else with a variable power (haha Mai you're so obvious when you're looking for loopholes), can you decrease the power of the attack or are you stuck on the level you were before?

You can't decrease the power of the attack, no, although since the substitute would just fail repeatedly, you shouldn't be charged the normal amount of energy for it, either.

I would say minimize reduces a pokémon to about 75% its present size each time. So the smallest you could get would be 18% the pokémon's original size.

Ah, another B/W change. In that case, let's call it 66% so you get a more reasonable limit of 28% your original size.

Back
Top Bottom