• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Rate my Tournament Team?

Stryke

The finchiest of widgets
Pronoun
he
So, I recently joined a mixed-tier tournament over on another Pokemon site, and I've come up with a team I think can get the job done effectively. However, I don't really have much faith in my ability to make good teams, since this is only my second tourney. So I want to know what you guys think: good team, or needs some improvements?

Mixed Tier Tournament
Each person gets 13 points to spend on Pokemon.
-OU and BL are 4 points.
-UU and BL2 are 3 points.
-RU and BL3 are 2 points.
-NU, BL4, and PU are 1 point.
-NFE and LC are .5 points.
All other standard rules will apply

No-Body Nose (Probopass) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magnet Rise
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Windows Vista (Porygon-Z) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Agility
- Psychic
- Recover

Undercooked Escargot (Gastrodon-East) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

UnbeLEIveable (Comfey) (F) @ Big Root
Ability: Triage
EVs: 208 SpA / 48 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Petal Blizzard

The Major Scales (Kommo-o) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Rash Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Sky Uppercut
- Flash Cannon
- Rest

What Sunk the Titanic (Avalugg) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

In the future, it would help if you included a little text describing what how you want this team to function (is it stall, is it more aggressive, etc.) and what the role of each team member is. It helps to get a sense of why you picked the pokémon you did, and how you think they ought to work together, to analyse whether I think they actually will work together that way or not.

The first thing that jumps out at me is this team is super weak to fighting! A full half of the pokémon on it are weak (or double-weak) to fighting, and comfey is the only one to resist it. Especially given how many powerful, popular fighting-types there are out there, that's not a great place to be. Another thing I'd watch out for is a lack of physical moves on the team--you have only sky uppercut, avalanche, and earthquake, and they're all on pokémon with virtually no attack investment. Kommo-o and avalugg have good attack, but not that good! If you run into a powerful special wall, you could have some serious trouble breaking through. So, if you look to replace one of your fighting-weak pokémon with something else, a good physical attacker would be one of the first places I'd start looking.

Overall, I'm not totally sure what you're going for with this team. There aren't any clear sweepers, and overall it looks more defensive than offensive, but it also doesn't look like you have very many ways to take advantage of a slower game (weather, entry hazards, etc.). What's your game plan with the team?

Another general comment: you probably want to ease up on the recovery moves, there. Porygon-Z is too frail to make good use of recover, and likewise avalugg dies if a special attacker even sneezes on it. Rest is very risky on Kommo-o; the lum berry helps, obviously, but it's not really EV'd to be a tank, and it has so many weaknesses that it doesn't make a great one despite its stats. Rest is really only good for very bulky pokémon, ideally ones that can abuse sleep talk so they're not sitting ducks for two turns.

In the future, it would help if you included a little text describing what how you want this team to function (is it stall, is it more aggressive, etc.) and what the role of each team member is. It helps to get a sense of why you picked the pokémon you did, and how you think they ought to work together, to analyse whether I think they actually will work together that way or not.
Team roles... Right... As embarrassing as it is for me to admit this now, I mainly focused on type coverage, STAB, and I put in utility moves as side notes, for the most part, so roles weren't really at the top of my checklist when making this... Of course, now, I'll look into it way more as I'm revising this team!

The first thing that jumps out at me is this team is super weak to fighting! A full half of the pokémon on it are weak (or double-weak) to fighting, and comfey is the only one to resist it. Especially given how many powerful, popular fighting-types there are out there, that's not a great place to be. Another thing I'd watch out for is a lack of physical moves on the team--you have only sky uppercut, avalanche, and earthquake, and they're all on pokémon with virtually no attack investment. Kommo-o and avalugg have good attack, but not that good! If you run into a powerful special wall, you could have some serious trouble breaking through. So, if you look to replace one of your fighting-weak pokémon with something else, a good physical attacker would be one of the first places I'd start looking.
Yikes... I didn't even realize my fighting weakness was that prominent! Glad you caught that! And yeah, I realized that I didn't have any physical attackers... Kommo-o was supposed to fill that role, but I didn't even realize that most of his good moves to have were special until I started putting them in... Yeah, I'll look into replacing one of the mons.

Overall, I'm not totally sure what you're going for with this team. There aren't any clear sweepers, and overall it looks more defensive than offensive, but it also doesn't look like you have very many ways to take advantage of a slower game (weather, entry hazards, etc.). What's your game plan with the team?
Pretty much type coverage, STAB, and staying alive as long as it takes to do both of those things. Of course, looking back, I could've (and probably should've) taken a different approach, but that strategy is my normal approach to pretty much all of the teams I make, and I guess I just was too accustomed to it.

Another general comment: you probably want to ease up on the recovery moves, there. Porygon-Z is too frail to make good use of recover, and likewise avalugg dies if a special attacker even sneezes on it. Rest is very risky on Kommo-o; the lum berry helps, obviously, but it's not really EV'd to be a tank, and it has so many weaknesses that it doesn't make a great one despite its stats. Rest is really only good for very bulky pokémon, ideally ones that can abuse sleep talk so they're not sitting ducks for two turns.
Huh... I didn't really know that, but now that I see it, I'll be sure to make some adjustments.

Thank you so much for the feedback; I was not aware of a lot of these things, so I'll be sure to update accordingly. Again, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom