• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading? II

I blazed through Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, Revolver by Marcus Sedgwick, No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, The Book of Evidence by John Banville and the first 200 pages of The Little Friend by Donna Tartt but it's taken me three and a half weeks to read the subsequent 150 pages, so I'm a bit annoyed about that.

recently read Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth, and although both almost literally drip cheese, the writing is surprisingly solid. The fact that it's told in first person present(and that I read it in hebrew) is a major turnoff, though.

Just picked up a copy of Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman; I'd highly recommend it, if you don't mind somewhat heavy cursing.

Also, Silver recommended me the Mistborn series, and I'm on the second book now (The Well of Ascension). I also highly recommend these to anyone who enjoys complex worldbuilding and fantasy.

Right now I'm reading The Last Dragonslayer trilogy (soon to have 4 entries), and I just got done re-reading the first book. All I can say is it is amazing. I especially love how magic and technology blend so well in the world that Jasper Fforde makes.

I just finished A Shard of Sun in the Summer King Chronicles by Jess E Owen. If you like fantasy animal stories, this series is a must! It's about gryphons and it is so much fun. And tension. And heartbreak. And awesome.

And because I'm sad that I'm all caught up in that series, I'm starting Birth of the Firebringer by Meredith Ann Pierce to fill the void.

The Name of the Wind and so far it is ridiculously awesome. the beginning is fun and I haven't quite gotten to the middle yet but I am expecting great things.

the fuck is a novel
I'm currently waiting for Stormlight Archive III, and for my library to pick up a copy of Shadows of Self. I'm rather behind on my reading game because i'm too busy with fucking manga, but i ought to get back into it soon. The last book i read was The Mime Order, which was just... my standards are rather high, and it was probably fairly good for teen literature, but i didn't enjoy it much.

Anyway, yes, here's to more Brandon Sanderson soon! And maybe Dragonsteel, finally!

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut at the moment. I hope to scratch off a few more before I go back to college, maybe The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro or A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James.

I just finished reading A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin, so I guess I should pick up A Storm of Swords next. Each of the ASoIaF books is taking me a few months to read because they are very long and I read at a snail's pace. They are very good books though.

Over winter break i read A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, now I'm currently reading the Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.

sorry to bump this thread but while I was gone from here, I really got into book-reading!

I'm in the middle of Marcel Proust's gigantic novel (?) Remembrance of Things Past. well, a more faithful translation of the title is In Search of Lost Time, which I actually like better, but the first one is the title of the English translation I'm reading, which is done by some guy called Moncrieff. I moved to a new house recently, and the former owner let us keep a lot of books, including this one. this first translation is apparently actually more wordy in style than the original French, and there are various liberties, like the title - but I still enjoy it a lot. there really are some truly beautiful parts.

it's basically a very, very long sort of recollection of the narrator's life. it's kind of hard to describe what the main conflict or action is; the book is really just him narrating, in very much detail and with tons of insight, what his life is. because of that, though, it's super super immersive... it's like I've lived several months in another person's life. I'm in the middle of the third section, out of seven.

does anyone else read early 20th-century books? I'm really into those.

Over winter break i read A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, now I'm currently reading the Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.

I really liked A Clockwork Orange! ...except for the last chapter, which I found really unconvincing and bumped the book down to a 4/5 for me. what did other people think?

I've just finished The Amber Spyglass, and thus the His Dark Materials trilogy. Northern Lights is the best by far; the other two books are just a bit rambly...

I'm rereading Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Cycle because I've had the last book for ages but haven't started reading it yet! And because it's been a while, I'm rereading them all for maximum effect. Gosh I love these books.

Been reading quite a bit over the past few months! A week or so ago I went through all of Dianna Wynne Jones' A Sudden Wild Magic in a day (I was in transit basically the whole day). Pretty typical Jones story, not one of her best, but not bad, either. I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be set in the same world as Deep Secret and its sequel (my guess is yes, but I'd have to actually go look at Deep Secret to be sure). That's the book I've been wanting to reread, but of course it's in another state and none of the libraries around here has a copy rargh rargh rargh. Also brought Terry Pratchett's Jingo for the trip back, since I was under the impression that I hadn't read it before, but upon starting it realized I actually had. Not one of my favorite Discworld novels; I'm not far into it, might not bother finishing it.

Meanwhile I've been reading The Shining at work. I started reading this one a long time ago, but stopped quite early on for some reason... this time I read it all the way through and enjoyed it quite a bit. Finished it Tuesday and then immediately went out to the library to grab a copy of Doctor Sleep, which is hardback rather than digital but I figured would be something good to take along for the plane, since I was going on vacation. I figured it would be fun to compare it with its predecessor, since The Shining was written way back near the start of King's career, while the sequel is much more recent. Turns out they're very different kinds of stories, though; not sure how comparable they'll really be. Thus far I prefer The Shining.

While looking for Doctor Sleep I also happened to come across A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin, which was the weirdest thing, because I've been trying to find that book for ages and I could swear the library didn't have it. It seems like everywhere I've been always has, like, book three/four in the Earthsea series but not the first one, which is why I've never actually read it even though I've been meaning to for years. So naturally I snapped that one up, too.

...and then I realized I didn't have any room for my luggage for books, much less a brick like Doctor Sleep, so I guess I won't be getting much reading done after all. Upon my return, books!

Been reading quite a bit over the past few months! A week or so ago I went through all of Dianna Wynne Jones' A Sudden Wild Magic in a day (I was in transit basically the whole day). Pretty typical Jones story, not one of her best, but not bad, either. I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be set in the same world as Deep Secret and its sequel (my guess is yes, but I'd have to actually go look at Deep Secret to be sure). That's the book I've been wanting to reread, but of course it's in another state and none of the libraries around here has a copy rargh rargh rargh. Also brought Terry Pratchett's Jingo for the trip back, since I was under the impression that I hadn't read it before, but upon starting it realized I actually had. Not one of my favorite Discworld novels; I'm not far into it, might not bother finishing it.

Meanwhile I've been reading The Shining at work. I started reading this one a long time ago, but stopped quite early on for some reason... this time I read it all the way through and enjoyed it quite a bit. Finished it Tuesday and then immediately went out to the library to grab a copy of Doctor Sleep, which is hardback rather than digital but I figured would be something good to take along for the plane, since I was going on vacation. I figured it would be fun to compare it with its predecessor, since The Shining was written way back near the start of King's career, while the sequel is much more recent. Turns out they're very different kinds of stories, though; not sure how comparable they'll really be. Thus far I prefer The Shining.

While looking for Doctor Sleep I also happened to come across A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin, which was the weirdest thing, because I've been trying to find that book for ages and I could swear the library didn't have it. It seems like everywhere I've been always has, like, book three/four in the Earthsea series but not the first one, which is why I've never actually read it even though I've been meaning to for years. So naturally I snapped that one up, too.

...and then I realized I didn't have any room for my luggage for books, much less a brick like Doctor Sleep, so I guess I won't be getting much reading done after all. Upon my return, books!

I've been reading Starlight Over Detrot: A Noir Tale for the past few days. Absolutely fantastic, the characters have great depth, the worldbuilding is really refined, especially in every chapter's epigraph, and the plot itself is riveting. It's also just shy of a million words right now, so it's gonna take about triple the amount of time to read as I've already put in.

Back
Top Bottom