• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I really like how this episode was set the same time as the last episode. I wonder if this episode had come out first, it would have been a good hook to watch the last one, since from what we see, it doesn't look like Spike had a good time, and I'd've been interested to find out how the CMC ended up there.

While what happened did make sense, she inspector did get an unbiased view of what the Crystal Empire was like, but with all the times she got knocked over and splashed I'd think that she'd still be pretty negative. I mean the unbiasedness is good in that she'd know what kind of experience the tourists who came to watch the games would have, but being knocked over and splashed all the isn't my idea of a good place to visit to see a sporting event.
Though I suppose maybe the crystal ponies were nice to her when she wasn't onscreen? Twilight did say hello to her quite cheerfully to maybe there's that!

I'm already eager for Saturday night (in my timezone). :D

By the way, I'm going to hedge my bets and say that Twilight's coronation scene will be up there with Twilight's release from Discord's effects in RoH Part 2 and the shooting star scene from Apple Family Reunion as the most emotional scene in MLP:FiM history - hell, I think it will actually surpass those.

So how about that season finale, guys?

I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Tied with Magic Duel as the episode of the season for me, and I got goosebumps during the coronation scene. I loved how the story came full circle like this. In a way, it's a shame there's gonna be a season 4 - this would've been the perfect way to send off the series.

The concept of the episode was pretty good. I guess it was Celestia's plan all along to make Twilight a princess. Also I guess they're called princesses instead of queens in-universe to avoid it being confused with a proper monarchy. Maybe Cadence isn't related to Celestia and Luna after all!
Even though it isn't really a monarchy it's still not clear how the devil it works. Do ponies need to be filled with friendship and love to become a princess? It would explain how Cadence is one, and if so it would probably the best system of government possible in their universe.

The episode itself though, I don't think it was that great. It felt a bit rushed and there was far too much singing. I preferred it when there was one grand scale song every few episodes rather than a few average sounding ones every one or two.
I did like how there were crystal ponies in the crowds in Canterlot.

And yeah, I agree this would have worked better as a series finale rather than a season finale.

Also if I were Twilight I'd've used the elements switching spell a few more time to see how they're swapped around, then use group theory to determine how many times I'd have to do it again before they get back to the starting point, if possible

Grabbing my post on this from another forum. ...Yes, I did write this even though it sounds like I just said I'm ripping it off. Derp.

Okay, let's see... Where to begin.

Well, first off. The plot for this episode was fine. Mane six (five since Twilight's didn't?) get their cutie marks mixed up due to an incomplete spell Twilight recited. It's just fine, except for the fact that not only is the plot in itself poorly executed, it seems like, but the story itself feels... rushed. It'll happen when you try to fit a finale into 22 minutes, though. Usually.

Secondly, it's essentially a musical. Hasbro fit a good 6 songs in there (not including the title sequence or credits), and consider this a feat for 22 minutes. I find this particularly annoying if anything. It didn't really make the episode worse, but it's just annoying to me that they try to pull a stunt like this, when none of the other finales/start of seasons did this. If they did, all of them were a good 44 minutes anyways, allowing them to be spread out more and make it less obnoxious. The songs themselves though? Just fine, no problem with them. They fit right in with the situations, they're just obnoxious with how close they are to each other, time-wise, and whenever someone starts talking to a main character, they basically break out into song.

Now for the biggie. Twilight becoming an alicorn. This is highly debatable by the fan base a whole. Me? I see it as grounds for an interesting story to unfold for Season 4. It's something new, and the only reasons people seem to not like this change is because of how little Twilight currently seems to fit the role of a princess, being a bookworm. There's also the fact that there was a lot of information left out about this (although it is confirmed that season 4 will basically answer most of the standing questions). Also, with what Twilight did to deserve becoming an alicorn this episode? Yes, all of her previous achievements add up and the main factor that made her ready is the fact that she created her own magic. Heck, switching cutie marks is probably something really large too (it gave Rarity the ability to make weather?). But in direct comparison to what she's done before, it just doesn't feel like it would be enough. This probably fits in with how the plot was poorly executed, as I said earlier.

Overall, the episode was fine. Go watch it if you feel like it. Just don't expect the same 'wow' from the previous season finales/start of seasons.

...so I guess I'm the only one who's thinking this is a strong contender for the show jumping the shark?

The whole point of the show is these are six friends and they all have different things to bring to the table and different quirks and abilities and personalities whose greatest accomplishments are achieved when they work together! You can't just take one of them and go, oh, actually she gets to be a special snowflake princess and she becomes an alicorn who can do anything and all her friends look at her in adoration because obviously they're not good enough at friendship to be princesses, because. The first half was amusing enough (though the songs felt kind of overcrowded), but the second half just felt like somebody's weird, awful Mary-Sue fanfiction and I spent it hoping desperately that she was going to wake up in her bed and go "Whoa, what a weird-ass dream." The whole Celestia being able to just make people into princesses and give them extra horns/wings is completely out of nowhere, too.

I mean, they could make a decent season four out of it by actually tackling what this development does to their friendship in an interesting way - there's nothing inherently wrong with Twilight being an alicorn princess - but as this episode stands I think it's hands-down the worst episode of the show by a huge margin. You don't take a show about friendship and working together and how everyone has their different strengths and weaknesses and randomly elevate one of the characters to be super special and awesome and better while the other characters flatly worship and adore them for it. If they'd wanted to introduce this in a way that didn't go the super sparkly speshul speshulness route, all they'd have had to do was have Celestia choose to make Twilight a princess and then make the episode be about how this affects her relationship with her friends - are they jealous? Does she feel bad for being made a princess when they're not? Do they feel like she's above them now and stop trying to hang out with her because they feel like she must have something better to do now that she's a princess? That would be an episode of this show. This just... isn't. I keep coming back to calling it a Mary-Sue fanfic because it's exactly like one.

Last edited:
I'm hoping season 4 will be set before that episode, I doubt that'd happen though.

They could take it in a direction where it turns out that Twilight is only capable of being an alicorn if she's still on good terms with the other five. It would be a callback to the first episodes where the last element of harmony didn't exist until Twilight realised the rest of them were her friends. Though the only thing that got close to that in that episode was Twilight basically just doing the "I couldn't have made it this far without you" speech. But they didn't even go as far as to do the Lord of the Rings thing where the royalty bows to the common folk at the end because they were the real heores all along.
But yeah, the show is about how all of them get things done together and giving one of them all that power does cheapen it significantly, even if my ideas of it depending on their friendship were the way it was. Though it's mostly the alicorn part there, not the princess part.

It wasn't handled entirely well in the episode itself, I'll still give season four a chance. For all we know, her being al alicorn doesn't make her any more powerful at all beyond the fact that she can fly, so maybe it won't weaken the whole "friendship is magic" thing.
As I said the concept was good, but only as a series finale instead of a season finale.

I am also curious as to how Rarity will act.

...so I guess I'm the only one who's thinking this is a strong contender for the show jumping the shark?

The whole point of the show is these are six friends and they all have different things to bring to the table and different quirks and abilities and personalities whose greatest accomplishments are achieved when they work together! You can't just take one of them and go, oh, actually she gets to be a special snowflake princess and she becomes an alicorn who can do anything and all her friends look at her in adoration because obviously they're not good enough at friendship to be princesses, because. The first half was amusing enough (though the songs felt kind of overcrowded), but the second half just felt like somebody's weird, awful Mary-Sue fanfiction and I spent it hoping desperately that she was going to wake up in her bed and go "Whoa, what a weird-ass dream." The whole Celestia being able to just make people into princesses and give them extra horns/wings is completely out of nowhere, too.

I mean, they could make a decent season four out of it by actually tackling what this development does to their friendship in an interesting way - there's nothing inherently wrong with Twilight being an alicorn princess - but as this episode stands I think it's hands-down the worst episode of the show by a huge margin. You don't take a show about friendship and working together and how everyone has their different strengths and weaknesses and randomly elevate one of the characters to be super special and awesome and better while the other characters flatly worship and adore them for it. If they'd wanted to introduce this in a way that didn't go the super sparkly speshul speshulness route, all they'd have had to do was have Celestia choose to make Twilight a princess and then make the episode be about how this affects her relationship with her friends - are they jealous? Does she feel bad for being made a princess when they're not? Do they feel like she's above them now and stop trying to hang out with her because they feel like she must have something better to do now that she's a princess? That would be an episode of this show. This just... isn't. I keep coming back to calling it a Mary-Sue fanfic because it's exactly like one.

Actually, according to this Twitter post by Megan McCarthy herself, there's still more to be revealed about all this. Perhaps what you brought up might be addressed in the sequel.

Entirely possible - like I said, it's not that
Twilight being an alicorn princess
is inherently terrible, and they could potentially do interesting things with that development in season four. But the episode as it stands is awful, and merely being well followed up on wouldn't actually make this episode better in retrospect unless it turns out what happened in it wasn't what we think happened at all.

Entirely possible - like I said, it's not that
Twilight being an alicorn princess
is inherently terrible, and they could potentially do interesting things with that development in season four. But the episode as it stands is awful, and merely being well followed up on wouldn't actually make this episode better in retrospect unless it turns out what happened in it wasn't what we think happened at all.

Well, I can understand where you're coming from. Personally, I really enjoyed the episode, so I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

I love this show a lot. You can tell just by looking at my username. My favorite Mane 6 pony is Applejack. The season 3 finale was very epic too.

Just one question: Why is the MLP discussion here and not in the Entertainment sub-forum?

Back
Top Bottom