• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Dota 2

Noctowl

Everyone call me elf monster.
Anyone play this?
Just started a week or so ago (got a key from my boyfriend's brother) so I am still a noob really. Though I do like playing as Tiny, Enchantress and sometimes Brewmaster. I really like the two headed dragon's design, and I am trying to learn how to play as him. Though my game lags ridiculously so I only play against bots.

Last edited:
I only started playing a few weeks ago, but it's basically an exact copy of the WC3 original so I'm pretty familiar with the game already. I still prefer League of Legends though; DotA is generally less forgiving and stable, and has a trickier metagame.

I'm a bit nervous against going against people for that reason, apparently people can be quite elitist on it. Though I could understand the irriation against that one person who dies before the game even starts (has happened when I played against bots with other people and my boyfriend...it was quite funny but we lost because of it).

My friend had a few extra copies, so he gave me one even though I had never really seen any footage game, only ever having heard of it from friends. I've never played any RTS games before, so I'm really curious to try it. It's Valve, it has to be good.

It is quite fun, though I do recommend playing against bots first, as apparently other people can be quite mean. Also, apparently playing as Meepo is not recommended. XD
My first character was Puck, because I love them, but I was shit.

I absolutely suck at Data 2, haha. I haven't played a game like it before though, to be fair. I'll keep trying, I suppose.

As a side note, I have a good 13 copies of the game in my Steam inventory if anyone wants one (any amount of them really). Send me a PM if you're interested?

I played some War3 DotA and sucked, and never found it to be too much fun. Played this with my friend on Monday and I really liked it (his tutoring helped :)) so I plan to play more when I get time this weekend.

Also, apparently playing as Meepo is not recommended. XD
To new players I also wouldn't recommend playing:

- Pudge (Meat Hook really is one of the most difficult to use spells in the game)
- Mirana (same goes for Sacred Arrow as for Meat Hook)
- Earthshaker (you can block off your teammates with Fissure, and it's very difficult to use Fissure to its full potential to both damage/stun AND block your opponents with it)
- Chen (very hard to micro, to his full potential anyway; though Meepo is even far more significantly difficult); other summoners like Warlock, Visage, Lycan, Enigma, etc. are less difficult to micro but they do need to be micro'd at least somewhat
- Invoker (learning his spells, quick spell combinations, different item builds and skill builds for him are difficult enough, but what's even more difficult is timing and placing most of his spells)
- Kunkka (Torrent and Ghostship timing and placement)
- Clockwerk (although Hookshot is significantly easier to use than Meat Hook and Sacred Arrow, it can still very often be missed, and Power Cogs may work against your allies by blocking them)

Windrunner Powershots and Shackles can be difficult to learn as well, although her base damage and attack animation are good for learning lasthitting with, she has a good escape mechanism and together with Force Staff is almost impossible to kill, and she's pretty flexible item buildswise after Force Staff, so I can recommend Windrunner as a solid and fun hero who can fulfill different roles on the team, for people who want to improve.

Tried playing as meepo against bots but the game kept kicking me out at level 2...hm, think the game might be trying to tell me something.

Bumping this.

So far, my best characters are Axe and Necrophos. (Though I'm not very good, but... yeah.)

Also, do any of you follow the professional DotA scene? I do, and I've been watching lots of elite-level matches recently.

Back
Top Bottom