• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions Butterfree's Pixel Art

Okay, more stuff.

Basically, I went on a spriting spree to make D/P-style back sprites and animation frames for the Leta family, who already had D/P-style front sprites. The animations tend to be a bit lazier than the real game animations, whose frames tend to be completely redrawn instead of just moving body parts, but meh.

letanew.png
letanew2.png
letabacknew.png
letabacknew2.png

I actually edited a couple of pixels in the front frame 1 sprite (in the tail and one paw), but that's not really something anybody who hasn't been staring at the old sprite for hours would ever notice. I despise the shading on the back sprites, but I despise the shading style of the D/P back sprites in general.

letalnew.png
letalnew2.png
letalbacknew.png
letalbacknew2.png

My favorite front frame 1 sprite becomes my favorite frame 2 and back sprites. Letal always seems to turn out better than the others for some reason. When I looked at these again I noticed that the highlighting on the head looks a little skewed, but I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet.

letaligonnew.png
letaligonnew2.png
letaligonbacknew.png
letaligonbacknew2.png

The front frame 1 sprite is actually new, or semi-new, because the original "official" front frame 1 sprite was in a different pose; I always kind of disliked that because it looked too small, and I had made an alternate pose that made it look big and imposing, but it always looked like it was about to fall over and I could never really be bothered to fix it. Now that I was going to waste my time "animating" it, I thought I might as well grab that sprite and fix it instead of animating the small one. I think it at least looks considerably better than the original version of that pose.

...what the hell, how did I miss those two white pixels that are supposed to be transparent near the second frame front sprite's leg? That needs to be fixed.

Then the back sprite is sort of meh-ish; it looks kind of silly when it's just the head compared to Letal showing part of the whole body, but that's what the D/P back sprites tend to do for bigger Pokémon. The animation is pure laziness, as it is ridiculously hard to get the 'horns' looking right in perspective and to make it actually move its head would require stumbling upon another angle where I can get it right and that looks natural as movement from the original pose, so I just went "What the hell, let's just make it blink and open its mouth or something." I really need to make it do something more interesting.

Oh, and I made this random scratch Gastly the other day. Others have pointed out that the right eye should be smaller and that the left fang (our right) might need to be a bit farther to the left.

scratchgastly.png

I've been pretty dead so not much in the way of useful comments but

letaligonnew2.png
That mouth looks really weird. Does it lack a lower jaw or something? I'd assume that the lower jaw should jut out some. o_O;;

letalnew2.png
Neck looks too long and if it's in that pose, it'd almost certainly extend its back legs a bit for balance. Tail'd probably move back a little, too, but I don't remember how you specified that the tail stiffened. Its center of gravity looks pretty off, though.

Letaligon back sprites both bother me; no real comments for why, however.

On Leta's back sprites, maybe make it a little darker under the head, to show the head is separate from the body, somewhat? *shrugs* Can't think of anything else...

The Gastly's expression is so cute! And so are the little red dots on its forehead. (Does the official sprite have these? I'm lazy.) Are you going to make backsprites and 2nd-frames for your other fakes?

Back
Top Bottom