• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ultraviolet's Marine Sprite Contest! [FINISHED]

Re: ultraviolet's Marine Sprite Contest! [FULL]

The second half of judgings are in! I'm sorry if I'm a bit harsh, but I try to give constructive criticism.

+: something positive that you did really well.
- : something you need to work on.
! : something I particularly liked or feel is important.

Entry #6: ChaosTres
WaterAbsol.png

Absol? Did you know this was my favourite pokemon? Trying to earn extra points, ehhh? xD

Quality: 4/5
I can't fault much with the quality, your shading is fine, but you've used strange colours that makes it hard to detect your shading. But then the Absol sprite has got really weird shading to begin with.

Design: 2/5
This is where you're faulted a bit here. The fins on the head look a bit out of place (it would have been more aesthetically pleasing to play with the scythe or something) on Absol's head, and the spot/gem thing that Absol has seems to blend in with the blue, because the set you've used for Absol's face, tail, scythe, etc isn't that dark and simply blends with the blue.
The webbed toes is a really neat idea and is something I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately, Absol has really big toes already so when you add webs it ends up looking really big and clumpy. I don't understand what's up with the tail.

Originality: 5/10
Webbed toes were a really good idea, but maybe not on Absol. The fins on the head seem to look a bit silly (they're awkwardly placed and seem to just.. be there, like if you'd give Absol a similar sort of fin on the tail or something, it would have worked) and the recolour sort of fell through. It's a shame that although it's a neat idea, you really can't represent that on an Absol. :/

Overall: 11/20.

+ You've got some good ideas. I think you should experiment with other sprites. Play with the random sprite generator. >:)
- Work on your colours and pay attention to 'dots' and outlines, because this is where your recolour failed mostly.
! Also, Absol ftw.

Entry #7: Mewtwo
watwignh0.png

Quality: 3/5
Okay, your shading and colours seem fine, but where you've spliced isn't joined up properly. You need to go over and scratch over parts to make it look much smoother. It's the small things that make it big. There are also green bits from where it was attached to Ralts... oops.

Design: 3/5
Okay, first of all: why does it have Ralt's horns? Are they ears? Hamburger Patties? They don't look all that watery.
I really like the shell, it's quite cute on Turtwig and it suits the sea-theme nicely. The recolour looks okay, apart from the yellow - it looks a little too bright. I can sorta see this being a water pokemon. Sort of.

Originality: 5/10
It's a blue Turtwig with Ralt's ears and a nice shell. The shell is really cute and it works really well as a water-type thing, but apart from that... it doesn't much look like a water pokemon. If you coloured it orange or red, it'd look like a fire pokemon. You also took a risk with Turtwig; it's a small pokemon and therefore you have to fit lots of detail in a small space, which can be hard. Not bad though.

Overall: 11/20.

+ The shell is really well-done, it suits the sprite and it's proportional.
- Work on them splicing skills, matey, you've got a long way to go!
! Please tell me the significance of Ralt's horns. It's eating me up inside.

Entry #8: Tropiking
picture.php

Quality: 3/5
Your shading is a bit off on the shell (you have highlights on the blue headpiece, but the highlight on the shell is in the opposite direction), but apart from that it seems okay. The recolour isn't too good though. The outline on the whole sprite is pretty much black, which is fine on a black pokemon, but not an aqua one. There's some parts where you've spliced and the outline is really chunky.
Go over your lines again and read Butterfree's section on 'dots'.

Design: 4.5/5
I actually like this design a lot. I like how you've kept the idea of horns on Houndoom, just different ones that look like a water pokemon. The shell is really something, I didn't expect that at all. Only things I can pick at are the whiskers - I think you could have left those out, it makes it really busy and they interfere with the left fin on Houndoom's face.

Originality: 7/10
Well, It's certainly something, and it looks a lot like a water pokemon. It also looks like an agressive pokemon, much like Gyrados. I think you could have omitted or changed the shackles and bones though, because they're supposed to give a hellish sort of appearance to Houndoom, but now he doesn't need it because he's a water-type.

Overall: 14/20.

+ I like the design very much, it looks a lot like a water pokemon.
- Read the section about 'dots' here.
! It's interesting how you took one type and made it the opposite type.

Entry #9: Ketsu
WaterDragonair.png

Quality: 4.5/5
The quality's fine, but Dragonair's horn disappears for some reason. The shading appears to be a-okay.

Design: 3/5
What are the square white things coming off Dragonair's head and body? Are they fins? They look really flat and almost robotic. I'm assuming they're meant to be fins, but they look square and awkward.
I'd hazard a guess at the tail and assume it's also a fin, but it looks very flat, almost like a paper fan. I recommend you look at other pokemon with fins (like Vaporeon, Finneon, Goldeen, etc) and try and copy it.
Apart from those things... it doesn't look at all like a water pokemon, apart from the fact that it's blue, but that's Dragonair's ordinary colour anyway. You haven't done enough with this to make me think it's a water pokemon.

Originality: 3/10
You've taken Dragonair and added some scratched fins to it. I'm sorry, but that's not very original. You didn't even change it's colour.

Overall: 7.5/20.

+ The shading's fine.
- Practise your scratching, and you needed to change much more than this. Don't worry, you'll get there. (:
! Practise makes perfect.

Last Entry: Xenon
WaterRapidash-1.png

Quality: 1.5/5
The colours are really bright and mismatched; the outline is still from the original Rapidash sprite and the scratched tail it wonky and doesn't have an outline.

Design: 2/5
I don't think that Rapidash was a good choice of sprite, and what you've changed doesn't make it look like a water pokemon. Look at other water pokemon and see what makes them water pokemon, whether it's fins, colours, etc.

Originality: 2/10
I guess it's original, but it's not a water pokemon. The colours overall suggest a poison-type pokemon more than anything.

Overall: 5.5/20.

+ I think you had a nice idea in there somewhere at some point.
- But you really need to brush up on your spriting skills, read Butterfree's guide and practise.
! Rapidash was a really bad choice of pokemon because there isn't a lot you can add to it unless you scratch.

Final Standings!
1st: PichuK 17/20
2nd: Zephyrous Castform 16.5/20
3rd Tropiking 14/20

Thankyou to all of our participants:
iLike2EatPiez 13/20
ChaosTres 11/20
Mewtwo 11/20
fluffy 9.5/20
Ketsu 7.5/20
roxxor 6/20
Xenon 5.5/20

You receive the Blue Splash award, for participation!
marineaward_part-1.gif

copy and paste this code into your signature!

HTML:
[URL="http://www.dragonflycave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164"][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/ultravioletj/marineaward_part-1.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Congratulations, PichuK, Zephyrous Castform and Tropiking! I will PM each of you when I engrave your awards.

Thankyou everybody for participating! If you have any inquiries, please feel free to send me a PM or post on this thread! (:

Last edited:
Well, that was an interesting and fun contest! I didn't reply sooner, but thanks for the critique. I'll keep it in mind! *goes to add participation award to sig*

I can't draw curves, and I suck at scratching. I knew I wasn't going to do well. I probably should have done a splice. Oh well~ Also, I made the horn and the orb go because I thought it would make it look more streamlined.

Last edited:
Ralts' horns were suppossed to be fins =(
And My parent's were about to kick me off the computer for the weekend,so I was in a hurry!

Ralts' horns were suppossed to be fins =(

ooOOHh! I get it now. They don't look all that much like fins though, mostly like... horns. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom