• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Some Optimization, Also Reputation

Butterfree

Still loves Joltik, though!
Staff member
Heartache staff
Pronoun
she/her
Since people have been complaining about the server busy message a lot recently, I went and changed a resource-intensive setting I'd missed before. Now forums are not automatically marked as read when you've read every thread in the forum until you've actually viewed the forum's thread listings. If this doesn't help much, I can also make it cookie-based, which would decrease the strain further, but I figured it would be nice to see if just this helps any.

EDIT: Also, the reputation system is now enabled. As suggested in the Forum Discussion thread campaigning for this, you can only give positive reputation, and everyone has the same reputation power, regardless of how much reputation they currently have. You can basically use this option to express that you like somebody's post and why without perhaps irrelevantly replying to the thread or writing them a PM/VM.

If you do not wish to publicly display your reputation level, there is an option to hide it in your User CP.

Last edited:
...Is there anything you can do to make it visible in Bachuru style? It's a broken image tag in this style.

You said that your points are public, but I can't find them on anyone. Where are they displayed?

How positively fabulous, darling! Now really, we must be doing something about those wings of yours... certainly not as wonderful as mine...

Also, the reputation system is now enabled. As suggested in the Forum Discussion thread campaigning for this, you can only give positive reputation, and everyone has the same reputation power, regardless of how much reputation they currently have. You can basically use this option to express that you like somebody's post and why without perhaps irrelevantly replying to the thread or writing them a PM/VM.

If you do not wish to publicly display your reputation level, there is an option to hide it in your User CP.
Music Dragon and 1 other person like this.

You said that your points are public, but I can't find them on anyone. Where are they displayed?
It's the little gray/green square in your postbit.

Why is everyone an unknown quantity?
Because that's the neutral message for when you don't have any rep or only have a very small number of points.

I'll try to fix Bachuru style.

MD is shown as neutral but supposedly he has an assload of rep

Bachuru style seems to have a lot of broken things. I used to use it, but Roar of Time is a bit better.

Aaand not just this but everything (or just about everything) that was broken in Bachuru style should be okay now. (We're also no longer leeching the images off Kratos's server.) Tell me if anything else is missing.

Aaand I get "Server Busy" for two hours while trying to respond to a thread involving a possible solution to the "Server Busy" thingy.

The neutral message is up to ten points, I think. As you get more rep, the hover-message becomes more fawning. (It's still visible if you have positive rep at all, since then the rep square becomes green instead of gray; the messages are just calibrated differently.)

Sorry, Butterfree, but truth be told, it seems as if the server's gotten worse.

I've had a forum blackout for almost two days (give and take a few minutes in between.)

eh, but it's been doing that anyway for a while now - i kinda doubt turning down a resource-intensive setting would have made it worse.

I'm kinda curious as to why we're getting long forum blackouts now when we have less active members now than what we had, say, a year ago.

Turning rep on definitely affects it somewhat in the wrong direction, but it shouldn't do so to any very significant degree. The more likely culprit is that the fact I lowered the load limit that would give the message a little - I'd been getting some actual 500 errors due to database server unavailability, which seemed to indicate that the forum was going a bit too far before coming up with the server busy message. Nonetheless, it only happened a couple of times and apparently this level is being pretty impossible, so.

I changed it back to what it was before and the thread read setting to the cookie-based one. Hopefully this is better.

EDIT: ALSO I ran a thing to optimize the post table.

Last edited:
oh wow i love whatever it is that makes the new posts thing only show new posts (as opposed to just unread stuff that's been there for ages).

Back
Top Bottom