• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB password scare and related bans

Zhorken

groove out!
Pronoun
they or she
EDIT 3/18: See this post for full details.

So, as opaltiger previously posted, res (1. Luftballon/sreservoir) and Mai stole people's passwords from the old Battle for Asber forums, as well as some other ASB-related forums res had, and used them to get into people's TCoDf accounts. The forum admins have also banned blazheirio889, allitersonance, and Crazy Linoone in connection with the same event — we're still investigating, but we're pretty confident that the current bans will stand, and we're moving forward based on that assumption. We'll provide more specific information later. One of res's sockpuppets, Noel, has been banned as well.

The admins have reset a few dozen people's passwords, mostly people who were part of the Battle for Asber event. They logged everyone out of the forums last night, too — changing your password apparently isn't enough to boot people out of your account if they're already logged in. I also reset all the same people's passwords on the ASBdb, as I already posted there; I PMed everyone temporary passwords, but if you didn't get one, or yours doesn't work, let me know. There was also one particular false alarm: the same IP showed up for res's account and several other people's accounts, but it turns out that IP belongs to some kind of Google compression server for mobile Chrome.

As for actual game-related followup: the banned members should immediately be considered DQ'd from any battles they were in. If they were reffing your battle, you can go ahead and ask for an emergency ref. We've cleared the "battles awaiting refs" list of any challenges involving them, but feel free to repost those challenges for someone else to take. I'll be taking care of ref quizzes for the time being, Metallica Fanboy will post regarding the tournament soon, and we'll contact people shortly about ref test battles. Negrek has also offered to help out with things for a while. If there's anything I haven't thought of, feel free to bring it up.

ASB will keep rolling just fine. I know some people are thinking "lol classic TCoD", so I'd like to be candid about the fact that, yeah, it's been six weeks and we've already had some pretty bewildering drama. But we're confident that this should be the end of it. Things have been going really well so far despite everything, and we're all dedicated and we've all put way too much work into this to let it fall apart now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, three IPs, all shared with res.

Also I've updated the first paragraph a little based on some new info from Negrek.

As for the pokemon belonging to the 6 banned accounts, will the pokemon be given to those interested or will they be given out by RNG Drawing or some other method (ex: a seperate tourney maybe ) ?

As for the pokemon belonging to the 6 banned accounts, will the pokemon be given to those interested or will they be given out by RNG Drawing or some other method (ex: a seperate tourney maybe ) ?
I don't think we want to get into that, and regardless, I don't think dumping four hundred free Pokémon on the league is a good idea, logistically speaking.

I KNOW RIGHT

I'm still sad that so many of the people on this forum were part of the "Asberluminati". These were people I trusted and looked up to, and to see them turn on other members of the forum is... Well, it's really quite awful :(

I really, really want to believe some of them were innocent, but I suppose we'll have to see what the admins' investigations find out.

I'm still sad that so many of the people on this forum were part of the "Asberluminati". These were people I trusted and looked up to, and to see them turn on other members of the forum is... Well, it's really quite awful :(

I really, really want to believe some of them were innocent, but I suppose we'll have to see what the admins' investigations find out.

This. So much.

I'm especially sad bluzzy and Linoone were in on this. :(

Yeah, same. :/ Things were going really well and this came out of nowhere. Like I said, though, at this point we're pretty sure about the whole thing, and nobody was banned just for being friends with res.

Can you really trust anyone?

Tommy-Wiseau.jpg

This is quite saddening, but what happens is what happens, I guess. I am somewhat curious about particularly what happened, more specifically "possible password theft", or, i dunno, stuff about how these investigations work and what's being investigated and etc, but that's mostly just because I'm curious how things work. If the admins feel it's necessary to do what they're doing, we need to trust them, however unfortunate it might be.

I still don't understand what these members could possibly stand to gain by accessing other accounts, so it all just seems so bizarre to me.

I love all of you on this forum so it really pains me to see something like this happen :(

I have the same feeling; even though I wasn't exactly close friends with any of the members that got banned, many of them were long-standing members of the forum and were in fact quite nice from the few conversations that I happened to have.

I really do hope that this whole thing will blow over somehow.

Can you really trust anyone?
Me, I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

I am somewhat curious about particularly what happened, more specifically "possible password theft", or, i dunno, stuff about how these investigations work and what's being investigated and etc, but that's mostly just because I'm curious how things work. If the admins feel it's necessary to do what they're doing, we need to trust them, however unfortunate it might be.
We're still working on it, and we'll provide more information once we're certain we've got things worked out. We just wanted to get some kind of announcement out now, since we knew people were nervous/confused about all the bannings.

Back
Top Bottom