• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Damage and Energy Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, that makes sense.

I do like that EXP are getting some use, too, and that it's going to take a fair bit of EXP to actually get to the maximum.

1. Determine the Attack's Base Power

This is quite simple. Get out your handy ASB Attack Guide and find the base power for the move. Take, for example, blast burn, which has a base power of 150. Convert this into a health percentage by dividing the base power by ten and rounding down to the nearest whole number. For blast burn, the base damage is 15%. For thunder fang, with a base power of 65%, the base power is 6%.

So is this saying that the damage done to the opponent with a type that does not affect anything, such as fighting or psychic, the damage done would be 20 damage?

I attempted to use the calculator. 15 EXP Base Power of 150 and stab is applied. Users offensive and defensive stats are 0 and type effectiveness is neutral. I come out with 20 damage and 8 energy.

?? what not much of what you said makes much sense.

ISSUE: thunder fang has a base power of 65, not 65%.

also, should, say, a BP 65 attack really cost more energy than a BP 60 attack?

I think the comment was asking if blast burn done by that charizard against a defensively-neutral opponent, without stat modifiers, would be 20% damage. Answer is yes (though energy-wise she adds 3% because it's stated to burn a lot of energy in the description).

never mind that no such charizard will ever exist because clearly it is more efficient to just take six exp off the top of that and rare candy them, because charizard learns neither night shade nor psywave?

I think the comment was asking if blast burn done by that charizard against a defensively-neutral opponent, without stat modifiers, would be 20% damage. Answer is yes (though energy-wise she adds 3% because it's stated to burn a lot of energy in the description).

Ah I see now. 15 divided by 4 is 3.75. Round down and you get 3. So it would use 3 energy for the attack? Is the calculator even fit to use? I came up with 20 damage from the calculator but by doing the math myself i come out with 18. Using blast burn on a nuetral defensive type.

Ah I see now. 15 divided by 4 is 3.75. Round down and you get 3. So it would use 3 energy for the attack? Is the calculator even fit to use? I came up with 20 damage from the calculator but by doing the math myself i come out with 18. Using blast burn on a nuetral defensive type.

Did you add in bonus 2% damage from Exp?

Base Power: 150 / 10 = 15%

STAB: 15 / 4 = 3.25 = 3%

Exp: 15 / 4 = 3.25 = 2%

Total: 15 + 3 + 2 = 20%

And I think Kusari meant add 3 to the normal amount of energy used ((150 + 20) / 20 = 8.5 = 9 = 9 -1 = 8). Which would make the total energy expended by a a 15 Exp Charizard using Blast Burn: 11%

I probably have no idea what I'm doing, so disregard me if I'm retarded.

Did you add in bonus 2% damage from Exp?

Base Power: 150 / 10 = 15%

STAB: 15 / 4 = 3.25 = 3%

Exp: 15 / 4 = 3.25 = 2%

Total: 15 + 3 + 2 = 20%

And I think Kusari meant add 3 to the normal amount of energy used ((150 + 20) / 20 = 8.5 = 9 = 9 -1 = 8). Which would make the total energy expended by a a 15 Exp Charizard using Blast Burn: 11%

I probably have no idea what I'm doing, so disregard me if I'm retarded.

Ok, I see how that works. Now with the energy it says,

3. Account for the Attack's Effects

If the attack has an added effect, such as a chance to inflict the target with a status condition or lower one of their stats, with a greater than 20% chance of occurring, then add one to the energy total. This affects attacks that always have a secondary effect, such as icy wind, and is taken into account before considering any abilities that alter effect chance, such as sheer force or serene grace.

Blast burn has no secondary effects, so its energy cost remains 10%. If this were instead a flamethrower, no energy would be added because flamethrower's chance to burn is only 10%. If, however, this were a thunder attack, with a 30% chance of causing paralysis, the energy cost would be increased by 1%.

It stats that Blast Burn has no secondary effects so the energy remains 10%? It was just 8% a moment ago, so how did it become 10% if there was no secondary effect?

5. Add Other Modifiers

There are some cases in which an attack may cost more or less energy than normal, such as when their cost is modified by a held item. In such cases, you add the bonuses in now. Some attacks also have a cost spread out across several turns (such as light screen); add the extra energy cost for such "upkeep" attacks in here now, too. Blast burn, because it is an attack that usually requires a "recharge" action, costs extra energy if time is not taken to recover. If this blast burn were being used without a second action given over to recover, I would add 3% to its cost, for a final energy cost of 11%.

... though it'd rarely be worth it to actually use an action to recharge instead of a chill or other move.

So does a Pokemons base stats and stuff not come into play? A charmander of 1EXP and a charizard of 1EXP will both your blast burn at the same power?

More or less correct. Referees can choose to take base stats into account, but only in how the base stats relate to each other (shuckle might be considered to have an inherent +1 def/sdef boost and -1 atk/satk, but durant has less than half its defence and could get +1 def), and it's not universal.

So does a Pokemons base stats and stuff not come into play? A charmander of 1EXP and a charizard of 1EXP will both your blast burn at the same power?

Alternatively, if you wish, you can use Evolution Stage as the modifier instead of EXP. That's what the previous scale used.

Alternatively, if you wish, you can use Evolution Stage as the modifier instead of EXP. That's what the previous scale used.

Sounds to me like it would be easier to split each base stat into "ranges". Since most stats don't get much higher than 200, you could split the 200 into 10 ranges. For example if your attack base stat was between 0-20 you would have a 1. 21-40 would be a 2. 41-60 would be a 3. And so on. And use that as part of the math.

Except the ranges would have to be larger, like at least 60. Most refs who do incorporate stats give a +1 to the highest stats and a -1 to the lowest ones.

The calculations are meant to be simple, and part of the ideal of ASB is that the stats of all pokémon are more or less equal, so that pokémon with high stats aren't the only ones usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom