• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open Final Fantasy: Black Dawn

Storm Earth and Fire

Would you like to make a contract?
Find out more, sign up, and discuss here!

Welcome to the continent of Roapuria. It is inhabited by a collection of races, divided into a collection of countries.

Roapuria faces an era of conflict following a period of relative peace. The human empire of Galicia has conquered all of her neighbors. All of her victories have been suspect, though, and many think this is more than wanton imperialism. Many refugees report otherworldly monsters emerging before Galician armies, which could easily sweep away most opposition. History records a similar feat being done centuries ago. The world was nearly torn asunder, and as such, the people of the world sought never to perform such dark rituals ever again. Worse than that, though, are the reports from Algarve. Not only have the monsters been spotted there, but many say that nu mou are dissapearing. Reports of kidnappings by the Galician occupiers are widespread. Human residents, however, are largely untouched unless they cause trouble. Many theories have been raised as to why. Some claim Galicia's leadership wants to rid the world of non-human residents. Others say the dark god Galicia serves requires non-human, or even specifically nu mou sacrifices. The gria states, Sjaelland and Jylland, are on high-alert, while the southern states are concerned, hoping this is just a northern atrocity. Many volunteers from the south have gone off to the north, though, whether to help the Algarve resistance, or to help the gria prepare for the inevitable invasion.

---

Four corpses lay around Agnes, the merchant wagon, and the moogle whom she was being paid by. She was breathing hard after fighting off a bandit attack, not far from Neapolita's borders.

"Let's go, before anybody else comes.", Agnes said.
"Right.", the merchant replied.

Agnes hopped back ontot he back of the wagon and the moogle merchant took up the reins. The chocobos turned around back in the right direction, and sped off.
After some time, a town came into view. It was situated not too far from Neapolita's actual border, which was marked by a guard post. They pulled into town, behind a shop. Agnes got out, walked up to the merchant, and collected her pay, a fairly good sum considering what they went through. She headed out to the street, the market street, more precisely. Everybody hawked their wares. Especially audible for some reason, though, were the newsboys, selling their newspapers.

"More nu mou dissapearances! Victims never seen again! Read all about it!"

An impertinent voice nagged again, You know, they've got to get down here eventually.
"I'll deal with them then...", Agnes wearily said.
It'll be too late then..., the spirit, her great aunt replied.

Agnes sighed and simply headed into a pub.

Vai strung her bow, and took an arrow from her quiver, and waited. Around five or so minutes later, a scuffling sound started in the bushes far front of her. Vai notched the arrow and got ready.
((What kind of monsters/edible things would be around the Windurst/Jylland border?))

((:D I've been waiting all day for this~ [/nerd]))

Giath stared at the Black Chocobo in front of him. He began to concentrate on the Chocobo. He felt energy pulsating through his body. He closed his eyes for a moment, and opened them. Suddenly, a small flame appeared on the Chocobo. The bird squawked in pain.

"Damn it!" Giath hollered as the Chocobo charged for him. He took out his sword, ready to fight off the bird. As the bird shot its beak forward to hit Giath's head, he swung his sword, stopping the bird, and making it squawk in pain again. Without hesitation, Giath ran at the bird, sword in front of him, and swiftly stabbed it in its chest. The Chocobo squawked on last time, and fell to the ground, dead. Giath looked at his sword.

Ever since he had forgotten his magic, his sword had been his only weapon. He used to use staffs to attack enemies, however he needed a weapon he could rely on. He put his sword back in its scabbard, and let out a loud sigh. For years now he had been searching for a way to remember his forgotten magicks. In comparison to Firaga, Fire was a mere spark of flame. Giath continued onwards.

He never was sure of where he was going. He hoped one day to realize where he was headed, but for years he had simply gone around in circles. Today, he happened to be in the Neutral Strip. The area was nothing but a massive plain, with trees and rocks every now and then. Giath hoped he was approaching Neapolitia.

Titanya sipped her cup of tea slowly. It was early, still very quiet and peaceful out. Boring. Sure, it was pretty, and serene, and all that, but she was a warrior! Okay, so she was almost paralyzed from the waist down, but still. She wished she was still in the clan, for the millionth time that day. It was lonely here, nobody here but animals.
"I seriously need to get out more. Recluse much?"
SQUAWK!
The gria jumped, knocking over her chair and almost squishing a.. chicken?! How did she get in here? Scooping it up, Titanya limped to the door and half-threw it outside, slightly confused. Shaking her head, she went to feed it and the rest of the chickens. It was too dull here. Maybe somebody would come by. One of her sisters..
Sure. They're out going on adventures with their stinking clans. Luckies..

((What kind of monsters/edible things would be around the Windurst/Jylland border?))

OOC: Mu, goblins, wild chocobos, and not much else for now.

The inside of the pub, The Green Snake, proved as messay as Agnes expected it to me, which was good, seeing as how she would feel uncomfortable if it were any other way. Moving past a few travelers who had a bit too drink, amazingly enough, she wasn't hassled today, Agnes picked a usual table in the back corner. Waving a barmaid over, she ordered a pint of the house ale, and then slumped back, half-resting, half-eavesdropping on others, an unconscious habit.

After a while of walking, the scenery around Giath hadn't changed a bit. He stopped walking and looked around him. He couldn't see the tips of buildings anywhere in the distance. Perhaps he was going the wrong way. He saw, in the distance, a massive group of trees, the Great Jungle. If he followed the Jungle southward, he'd undoubtedly get to Neapolitia.

The only problem was which way the south was.

((Who's up for content some time this century?))

The sun shone brightly today, hanging lazily in the sky and letting its warmth seep down from the heavens, graciously welcomed by the forest stretching out below, though the same could not be said for the far more barren plains not too far away. In the blur between the two regions, a single tree stood, its branches empty and its bark shorn off to leave a bleached-white husk reaching up, clawing at the sky. A lone figure was perched on a higher limb, slender legs and long, black-furred tail dangling over the side and swaying slightly in the faint breeze, and a small carrying bag propped up against its side. Ahli Khues sighed deeply in a mix of anguish and boredom; it felt like the entire day had been spent waiting here, scanning the Neutral Strip for any signs of sentient life through a pair of binoculars. The already constrictive shirt she wore felt like it was becoming steadily more so as time went on, baking under the harsh rays of the sun, though she passed it off as the evil thief inside her growing impatient, lusting to sate its murderous greed- at least, that was what she wanted herself to think.

She tapped her index finger against the binocular gently, and, when the metal surface came in contact with the odd crystalline ring around the thin digit, her vision through the device magnified. At this strength, she could almost make out the buildings of Neapolita on the horizon; the wonders of magic always seemed to have some new surprise waiting for her around the corner. All of a sudden, whilst the picture through the scope continued to scan left and right, a single, indistinct shape manifested in view and she shrieked instinctively, rearing back on the tree branch in shock and just barely grabbing her bag of equipment before it plummeted to the earth. After regaining her composure and a few more adjustments by the crystal ring, however, she could clearly see what she had been waiting for - a traveller, garbed in the unique threads of a mage, and completely alone in an empty wasteland, for that matter! The thief Ahli Khues woke up and, taking a look at the world her more mundane counterpart inhabited, couldn't help but grin maliciously.

The Mithra are a species known for being particularly cunning, crafty, and overall quick, and a Mithra thief is one of the swiftest and most elusive beings known to mortals; given this, it was only minutes later that found Ahli peering at the lone mage from behind a small hill, hidden beneath a camouflage cloak of mottled greys to match the surrounding wastes. Her own mind wondered what would be the best way to go about this while the wicked nature currently in charge fingered one of her knives in twisted anticipation; one of her sophistication can't merely go up to the closest unsuspecting passerby and demand all their worldly possessions.

No, she needed something more clever than that, something that her victim would never expect. And what is less expected, she thought, throwing off the disguise as she stood up, than a direct confrontation? "Hail, o weary traveler!" she greeted the stranger, walking forward with arms wide, taking care to abuse that old style of speaking she had practiced so often back at school in Windurst, "For what intent hast thou come hither, to this most barren of heaths, where that only the boldest of adventurers dare to tread?"

((You know, how exactly is it that all of these individuals from all over the world are going to come together? I mean, I had to really stretch things to come up with this alone; how will the more secluded characters ever be able to come together?))

((I'm probably going to become infamous for this, but there's something that didn't hit me until after all this was done, though before you pointed it out. Kindly direct any other comments to the OOC thread.))

A human and a moogle entered the bar. They were obviously merchants or something, but basically employers. The moogle scanned the room and spotted Agnes sitting in the back, pointing at her. The two came over. Agnes looked up and alive.
"You are Agnes, right? A guard-for-hire and all that, yes?", the human asked.
"Yeah, what can I do for you?", Agnes asked back.
"I have a contract for you. It's straightforward enough, I think."
"Go on."
"Protect our caravan from here to ah, that gria state... Sjaelland, there we go."
"That's it? When?"
"Today, actually."
"Hmmm...
"I'll offer 40,000 gil for it."
Agnes was taken aback by the money, "40,000? What exactly are you carrying?"
The human leaned in and spoke softly, "Ah, weapons. All sorts, mainly guns."
"They sell weapons up there to... fight Galicia?"
"You got it."
"Well... alright. I'll take the job."
"Great."
Agnes walked out of the pub with the human and moogle merchants. Not far away was a warehouse, and inside, amoungst other wares, were three wagons already loaded up with nondescript wooden crates.

Last edited:
((I'm assuming that Leviathan is referring to me))

Giath focused on into the distance once more. He began to make out the dark shadows of something, buildings, perhaps? Could this mean that he was close to Neapolitia? Either way, the fact that there was a settlement nearby was a good sign.

"For what intent hast thou come hither, to this most barren of heaths, where that only the boldest of adventurers dare to tread?"

Giath turned around to see a woman, young in appearance, but most likely older then him, standing in front of him with her arms open wide. From the tail and the woman's ears sticking out of her hair, Giath could tell that the woman was a Mithra. He instinctively reached for his sword, remembering what his master had told him about the Mithra, that many of them were thieves. Giath's grasp calmed on the sword however. He realized that few thieves would be so open as this Mithra was. Though, her speech was suspicious, it was nothing to become frightened over.

"Well," Giath began slowly, still slightly suspicious, "I was, um, visiting a friend of mine in Neapolitia." Giath paused for a moment. "Why are you here?" he asked.

And.. there. A small, rather malnourished chocobo trotted out of the bushes. Vai pulled back on the arrow.. and loosed it. The chocobo squawked and ran back into the bushes. Vai leapt up and chased after it, firing arrows as she ran. Great, there goes my dinner. A thud came from ahead, and she ran a bit forward to almost trip over the chocobo.
"Alright," Vai said to herself.

Back
Top Bottom