• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Soon-to-be PlayStation 3 owner

Storm Earth and Fire

Would you like to make a contract?
So, I decided after getting a $50 gift card to Amazon that I will enter this generation of consoles with the PlayStation 3. Not the 360 because on my roommate's Xbox Live account I got hooked on playing games online and can't pay for it on my own. Or rather, I'm a cheapskate. Also Arcana Heart 3 is a PS3 exclusive in North America and that's the first game I will get.

Other games I plan on buying:
- Gran Turismo 5
- BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
- Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
- Atelier Rurona

And though some circumstances I already own SoulCalibur IV and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I've played Uncharted 2, LittleBigPlanet (1 and 2), and Cross Edge.

So, what can you, the fair people of tCoD recommend? I'm mainly looking for fighting games and JRPGs, but if there's some quirky stuff I don't know about then do tell.

Mortal Kombat 9 is definitely worth mentioning, specially since you seem to be after fighting games. It's gorier than ever this time, though, so, do avoid it if you're squeamish.

I've played MK9 a lot and I think I'll pass. Although it was good fun, I don't have anybody to play it with anymore, as the only people I knew who played it moved away.

As far as fighting games, I'd say go for The King of Fighters XIII. It's fantastic, and easily the best looking fighter this generation. There's also Soulcalibur V coming out at the end of January, so that's definitely worth looking at. Skullgirls and Street Fighter x Tekken are both also looking quite promising, and I'd also recommend taking a look at Tekken Hybrid.

If you like the series, there's also Dynasty Warriors 7, and 7 Xtreme Legends. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 is also a good one.

As far as RPGs, Folklore is actually not bad at all. White Knight Chronicles is fairly decent, if you consider that, consider the sequel, since it has both games on one disc. Uhh... Dark Souls is also a fantastic game, which I'm sure you've heard of. Tales of Graces f makes its US release in the middle of March, so that's something to consider... And if you're into NIS' stuff, Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 4 are both definitely worth any amount of money.

Hmm... Can't quite remember ALL of the games I'd recommend, but if anything, those are my first choices. As far as other things, if you like Vanillaware's games, Dragon's Crown looks fairly promising, but it won't be out until... probably halfway through the new year. Also definitely consider Gundam Extreme VS and Tales of Xillia if you ever decide to import.

There's also PS1 classics to consider, namely Alundra, Wild ARMs 2, Suikoden, Bloody Roar 2, Breath of Fire IV, Xenogears... And Klonoa just came out on PSN the other day, actually.

When you get your PS3 and sign up for PSN, let me know and I can add you :D

EDIT: whoops I almost forgot; if you can get past the blatant... well, ecchi, since that's what they are haha, Ar tonelico Qoga and Record of Agarest War Zero are both actually great games. Even if the story's not your cup of tea, they're both worth playing for the music and gameplay alone. And Eternal Sonata is a must, if you ever find a copy of it.

Last edited:
Oh shit I forgot about KoF XIII. Played that in arcade and on a friend's 360 and loved it, but I'm a huge fan of the series so I would've gotten it eventually.

My friends and I have played Dynasty Warriors 7 and Gundam 3 to death, in the negative sense. It is more or less forbidden in my apartment now.

Demon Souls was not a game I liked, so I think I'll skip over Dark Souls.

I would get Ar Tonelico Qoga, but I haven't played the first two yet. I am a complete sucker for Gust Corporation's games.

I've got a fair amount of experience on the PS3 because a friend of mine has been keeping his in my apartment for the past half year. I just wanted to buy games of my own because we have rather different tastes. Thanks for the recommendations, though, keep them coming folks.

Is the PS3 region free?

Last edited:
Haha, I actually went into Ar tonelico Qoga as my first game in the series. I still have yet to play the first two :< I mostly picked it up because i wanted the artbook and it felt like something that'd become rare within the next year or so.

And yeah, PS3's region free, so the only thing really stopping anyone from importing would be the language barrier.

Also, Sengoku BASARA 3 Utage is an option for import. I've played it on the Wii and it's much better than the original, mainly considering all the NPCs that are playable now.

Have you ever tried the Ratchet & Clank series?
It's not a fighter or jRPG, but I still suggest that you try it out.

Have you ever tried the Ratchet & Clank series?
It's not a fighter or jRPG, but I still suggest that you try it out.

If I had some more money to burn, I would. I was a big fan of the series on the PS2.
Skyrim, Little Big Planet, 2 Worlds thats what i got so far.

I have Skyrim for the PC, where I can download neat little mods. Also, the PS3 version has a memory leak bug, so it's a no go.

LBP I've had my fill of, as I mentioned in my opening post.

Just realized it's weird for me to ask for recommendations. Because of the ready availability of PS3s around me, I've got most of the AAA titles covered.

Last edited:
I would recommend Infamous or Infamous 2. Those are PS3 exclusives and are really good games, if you like free-world exploration and superpowers. I have both and they are pretty good.

Also, Just Cause is a good game for free-world exploration. To me, Just Cause is the improved X20 version of Grand Theft Auto.

Those are my suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom