The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Creativity > Writing > Author Lounge

Notices

Old 08-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Apple Prouductions

Pronoun: he
ParsnipTheRaichu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pokemon POV writing.

So, I'm writing a story from a Pokemon's POV for the first time. I'm having a bit of trouble wording everything right, so I'm wondering if you guys can help.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Fire emblem is great

Pronoun: He
Superbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Superbird
Default Re: Pokemon POV writing.

Actually, if you're interested, Butterfree's two tQFTL spinoffs provide an excellent example of pokémon point of view done well.

Of course, that's a scyther point of view, so I'm not sure how that would work for whatever pokémon you're writing from.

For those in ASB Battles that I happen to be reffing, I have several habits that deviate from most other refs. These can be found in this document, and involve mostly stat modifications and status conditions, as well as other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 PM
bye

Pronoun: she
Autumn is on a distinguished road

What exactly are you having issues wording? Could you give an example?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:28 AM
beep beep coming through

Pronoun: Any
Kratos Aurion is an unknown quantity at this point

As a general suggestion, you might want to look at this. Serebii's forums held a contest focusing on pokémon-POV stories several years ago. You don't necessarily need to read through the entries/excerpts themselves (though obviously they'd help with context, and the higher-placing ones might also serve as good examples for you), but I'd definitely recommend looking through at least a handful of the judges' comments on each entry. They had a lot of good insight into what worked and what didn't work when it came to the poké-centric plots and viewpoints, and you may find their advice useful when working on your story.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:42 AM
actually very huggable

Pronoun: He
opaltiger is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos Aurion View Post
As a general suggestion, you might want to look at this. Serebii's forums held a contest focusing on pokémon-POV stories several years ago. You don't necessarily need to read through the entries/excerpts themselves (though obviously they'd help with context, and the higher-placing ones might also serve as good examples for you), but I'd definitely recommend looking through at least a handful of the judges' comments on each entry. They had a lot of good insight into what worked and what didn't work when it came to the poké-centric plots and viewpoints, and you may find their advice useful when working on your story.
I would especially recommend elyvorg's winning entry from that contest. In addition to just being very well written it's one of the few that really considers what would be different from a Pokemon POV.
We want to be special in a universe that is uncaring and cold, and in which the nature of our existence is a transient flicker, so we invent these strange stories of grand beginnings, like every orphan dreaming that they are the children of kings who will one day ride up on a white horse and take them away to a beautiful palace and a rich and healthy family that will love them forever. We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.
— PZ Myers
Old 08-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Apple Prouductions

Pronoun: he
ParsnipTheRaichu is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Thanks guys! I read all the stories you suggested and it helped a lot. I couldn't have done it without you guys.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 AM
break like it's even

Negrek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaltiger View Post
I would especially recommend elyvorg's winning entry from that contest. In addition to just being very well written it's one of the few that really considers what would be different from a Pokemon POV.
For what it's worth, the full story is here, if you weren't able to find it from the contest thread.

Anyway, not sure you're still looking for recs, but I can't resist the opportunity to plug a couple things while I have the opportunity. starling-night's "Almost Like Flying" is a great (but very sad) one-shot from a scyther's POV. It deals with the experience of being trained from a pokemon's perspective, and it is not happy, but I think it does a nice job of showing the conflict between the trainer's view of the world and the pokemon's experience.

If you're up for something a little longer, Sike Saner's Communication is conveniently available right here on these forums; the main character is a snorunt.

A lot of pokemon POV stories feature protagonists who still think like humans, even if they have different senses/priorities/abilities/etc. If you're looking to go for a more alien or animalistic perspective, the writer I've found who does it best is Farla. Inheritors most closely fits the bill, but there's also Ice, which while not technically poke-POV, is close enough IMO. The POV character isn't human, anyway. Both of those are unfinished, but I think there's plenty to learn from there nonetheless.

In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design