• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What would you like to see from the league?

Espeon

Mmhm...
I've noticed that the league has been gradually declining in activity and almost come to a standstill. Kratos has given me permission to attempt to run a few tournaments to attempt to bring a little bit of activity to the league before mid-summer.

However, I am unwilling to make a new tournament unless I first know what you guys would like to see or do, how you would like to battle and what you're interested in and soforth. So, what types of tournament do you want to see? Or do you want some kind of competition which you could be involved in and would you preffer to battle over ShoddyBattle or Nintendo WiFi?

Also, whenever a tournament gets started, it never seems to finish. I understand that people aren't in the same timezones as each other which causes some tournaments to drag. Just for once I'd like a tournament to finish with a clear winner. I can't emphasize enough how irritating it is even making the effort to try to organise something for people to do. Are there any prizes that people may be interested in winning which would make them play until the end of the tournament?

In short:
  • What types of tournament do you want to see?
  • What will keep you interested in battling until the end?
  • Round Robin? Knock-out tournaments?
  • Prizes?
  • Anything else?

Here is a list of tournaments which might be easy to organise, most of which have been attempted but not completed:

For any number of participants:
  • Monotype.
  • Using teams a person has trained already.
  • Doubles.
  • Metronome.
  • Using a single colour of Pokémon only. (Goes by Dex colour.)

For a large number of participants:
  • Random squads, where a team of randomly selected Pokémon is assigned to each participant.
  • Pool, where each participant selects two Pokémon to be added to the pool and must select their squad from Pokémon in the pool only.

Of course, it's all entirely down to what you would like to see.
I'm always open to suggestions.

How about a tournament with points? Like, for every battle you win, you get a certain amount of points. The points could be cashed in for prizes. Sorta like the Battle Castle.
I think I would like to see a tournament with a theme, like 'cute' Pokemon or 'cool' Pokemon. Or course, the organizer would have to provide a list of Pokemon fitting the theme.

How about a tournament with points? Like, for every battle you win, you get a certain amount of points. The points could be cashed in for prizes. Sorta like the Battle Castle.

And how would this work as a tournament? The point is that there's got to be a first, second and third place. I don't think the Battle Castle could work as a tournament as it seems like a way to get prizes rather than a tournament.

I mean, from what you seem to be saying is that you would earn points by winning. Were it round robin, you'd win on points anyway so this seems a little pointless. Plus, the idea is you battle each person once, not multiple times to get a lot of points.

I think I would like to see a tournament with a theme, like 'cute' Pokemon or 'cool' Pokemon. Or course, the organizer would have to provide a list of Pokemon fitting the theme.

This one has a little more potential.

The other suggestion wouldn't be a tournament so much as it would be... another option in the league, I suppose? I think that's more what she was getting at. And it isn't a terrible idea; it probably isn't something that would be doable right now, with interest at such a low, and getting people to donate enough prizes to make that worthwhile is a little tough, but if enough people were interested then something like that could be done, sure.

Also remember, Espeon, that we do need to hold some sort of tournament for those who don't play competitively as well.

I wasn't saying it was a terrible idea. I'm just can't see how it could work at present. As you have rightly said, it could work later on but right now with league interest at an all time low it isn't really that doable.

Haha, I always forget the non-competitive people. A tournament for non-competitive people should be easy enough to arrange.

To be honest, I'd just like a normal tournament. Possibly more than one. No real need to have the majority of the tournaments being so gimmicky, is there?

I really like this idea though, it's about time we got some activity going again. It's just a shame I've never had the motivation to fully breed a WiFi team, I'd just have to lump a load of odd Pokémon together. :( Oh well.

I, for one, don't really care about prizes. The greatest glory for me would be something like a thread where the winners of tournaments are recorded (along with runner-ups?).

I, for one, don't really care about prizes. The greatest glory for me would be something like a thread where the winners of tournaments are recorded (along with runner-ups?).

I quite like this idea. Like a TCoD Hall of Fame?

I did organise a tornament where you just entered whatever Pokémon you wanted but, like most of the other tournaments, it kicked off but lost momentum and never got finished.

I quite like this idea. Like a TCoD Hall of Fame?
Yeah. I wouldn't mind helping out with it.

I'm not sure what could be done about tournaments if even the most basic ones don't work out. :/
Perhaps if a few tournaments were to be set out (or even one), maybe an announcement could be made so that people would have more awareness? It'd be like a one-off thing so that people are reminded this place exists, and hopefully it would work out this time.
I think another problem is that some people are scared of the whole competitive aspect, even though they'd have nothing to lose.

People like Walker are losing interest mid-game, Jetx, and he's fine with competitive battling. I think part of the problem is awkward timezones, and when people can't reach one another they just give up. I try what I can to fix the timezone problem and cut out people who are inactive, but it doesn't seem to work out in the end. :/

I suppose one way to get around this would to have a knock out tournament. I always do round-robin so people aren't left out. I think it's worth a shot seeing as it would probably get rid of the people who aren't interested and smaller numbers mean rounds can be completed more quickly.

Oh right. In that case I think it's worth doing what Espeon suggested, and seeing how that goes.

I suppose we could but it doesn't solve the problem of competitive/non-competitive players.

I mean, two tournaments could be run simultaneously. However, I think only one would kick off at most as the division would result in a lack of people for at least one tornament to be successful.

We need more of a hook and more regular people interested in tournaments and battling.

It's been a while though, so I think it's still worth trying again. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but an 8-person first come, first serve knock-out tournament would probably be a good idea, even if it doesn't work out. I'm sure we could fill 8 positions quite easily, and if that ends quickly then people are pumped for more... hopefully. It's only a total of seven battles, after all, and they're cut up into manageable chunks (4, 2, 1).
I'd offer to run something like that myself, but I'd be more interested in being a competitor. Exams soon, also.

That's just my suggestion. I think it'd be good to "start small, grow bigger" and worry about the other things mentioned after we've got more interest going. If that's not a good idea then I'm clueless. :/

For the record, the last few tournaments I've run *have* been single elimination.

Ah.

...Yeah.

It's been a while though, so I think it's still worth trying again. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but an 8-person first come, first serve knock-out tournament would probably be a good idea, even if it doesn't work out. I'm sure we could fill 8 positions quite easily, and if that ends quickly then people are pumped for more... hopefully. It's only a total of seven battles, after all, and they're cut up into manageable chunks (4, 2, 1).
I'd offer to run something like that myself, but I'd be more interested in being a competitor. Exams soon, also.

That's just my suggestion. I think it'd be good to "start small, grow bigger" and worry about the other things mentioned after we've got more interest going. If that's not a good idea then I'm clueless. :/

I think start small/grow larger is a good idea. I mean, if we managed to have a successful small tournament then people would be a little more interested in the next tournament, I should hope. Once more people realise our tournaments are successful, we may be able to expand to 10 people and then eventually 12 if there are enough people. The small numbers mean that even with lack of interest we should be able to fill in all of the places, especially if people invite people into the tournament.

A small tournament would be great. And the TCoD Hall of Fame would definately be a great idea. Maybe a tournament announcing/advertising thread would help get some hype about open tournaments?
I believe Kratos mentioned akward timezones? Maybe a thread that would help explain how to calculate time in different timezones? I, for one, have trouble with timezones.

A small tournament would be great. And the TCoD Hall of Fame would definately be a great idea. Maybe a tournament announcing/advertising thread would help get some hype about open tournaments?
I believe Kratos mentioned akward timezones? Maybe a thread that would help explain how to calculate time in different timezones? I, for one, have trouble with timezones.

Timezones aren't difficult to calculate. In fact you can just bash "current time in <country/state>" into the google search bar and hit enter. Google displays it for you.

It's not calculating the timezones which is the problem, it's the fact that person x will be asleep when person y is free, and person x will be free when person y is working. Person x and person y just aren't free at the same time ever because of the time zones they live in.

Personally, I don't see the harm in having a TCoD hall of fame and at present, tournaments are going to have to be small anyway.

Also, what do you mean by a tournament announcement thread? Do you want to actually make a forum announcement about when a new tournemant is set up? Problem with that is that most of the population of TCoDf aren't actually going to care so it seems like a waste of an announcement.

If you just mean in the WiFi area, no-one really looks there that often anyway so there's no point in doing it. It'd make more sense for people to show others, who they think would be interested, the thread regarding the tournament and trying to prompt them to sign up.

Since I'm more-or-less back, I wouldn't mind helping out in trying to organise stuff. I know the board still has me listed as a moderator, but I'm not going to just barge in and take control after a long MIA.

While I agree with Jetx for the most part, I also agree that we need to boast options for less-competitive players or themed teams.

Well, any help in revitalizing this place is appreciated. Did you have any specific ideas for tournaments or anything?

Back
Top Bottom