• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon

Sandcastle Pokemon! :D It feels like childhood and it is lovely.

Also, I have reeaaally mixed feelings about the whole Alola forms thing. Ice Sandslash and Fire/Ghost Marowak are pretty darn awesome, but at the same time, the science nerd in me is going "but it would have been so much MORE awesome if they were mostly the same but SLIGHTLY different, like how real species change with geographical divides..." Like Sandslash with... Rock typing, or Marowak with... well, Rock typing. They seem to be doing really opposite typings and that kind of bothers me!

Sandcastle Pokemon! :D It feels like childhood and it is lovely.

Also, I have reeaaally mixed feelings about the whole Alola forms thing. Ice Sandslash and Fire/Ghost Marowak are pretty darn awesome, but at the same time, the science nerd in me is going "but it would have been so much MORE awesome if they were mostly the same but SLIGHTLY different, like how real species change with geographical divides..." Like Sandslash with... Rock typing, or Marowak with... well, Rock typing. They seem to be doing really opposite typings and that kind of bothers me!

I think there's an alternate interpretation of types (I think it was discussed in The Quest for the Legends, if you've read that) that works better with this idea. Individual pokémon have their strengths and weaknesses, which are generally categorized into types - so, something that happens to be weak to water, grass, and fighting would be classified as Rock-type, rather than the other way around. Rather than pokémon species having intrinsic types, it's their characteristics that determine their types.

Alola Formes seem to support this - Sandshrew and Alola-Sandshrew are clearly the same species, but one of them adapted to icy mountaintops and thus is more susceptible to fire but less susceptible to grass and water - thus, now it gets classified as Ice type rather than Ground.

I do really like Alola formes, in general. It really represents what they're trying to do with Alola as a region.

There was still one new pokemon in the magazine, a sea cucumber!

Its description states that it can vomit out its insides and use them as a fist. It's precious and I love it. *u*

A sea cucumber was also mentioned in some of the probably-reliable leaks, so I guess that means we can probably expect those snowmen/dolphins/"rugby monkeys" as well.

but yaaaaay it's adorable and horrifying and that's great. I wonder if the li'l puffy cotton tail means it's be part sea hare? Those are slugs, not cucumbers, but still.

A handful of further potential leaks.

It claims the fish form-changes into the school of fish automatically at the start of battle after it reaches a certain level. I'm... really not sure why they didn't just make it a standard evolution. There's no reason I can see for it to be a form change...

There's no reason I can see for it to be a form change...
It's probably just to keep the fish from being too OP. The School form looks menacing enough to have high stats. :O

The English trailer featuring said fish, Team Skull and other stuff is here! Alolan Raichu is adorable, Pyukumuku is even more so and Alolan Meowth is still delightfully smug. :D

Last edited:
So can we please have Team Skull be street level villains this time? I'm getting tired of the villains always going after the mascots.

I really like the new Meowth. It's similar enough to the original to not be weird but different enough to be different.
And I hope they reference the original games at some point with the ghost Marowak.

I don't much like the design of Team Skull but

So can we please have Team Skull be street level villains this time? I'm getting tired of the villains always going after the mascots.

I hope for this so much. I've said it over and over that I preferred it when legendaries were just legendary and not deities or some sort and were only introduced to be the MacGuffin for the evil team's plot.

My two favourite teams are Rocket and Plasma. One of them didn't try to take over the world with the version mascot, and the other had a motivation that made sense and they could have had a perfectly good story written about them without any version mascots at all.

So yeah I hope they're just thugs and not psychopaths this time.

Murkrow said:
I don't much like the design of Team Skull but

I hope for this so much. I've said it over and over that I preferred it when legendaries were just legendary and not deities or some sort and were only introduced to be the MacGuffin for the evil team's plot.

My two favourite teams are Rocket and Plasma. One of them didn't try to take over the world with the version mascot, and the other had a motivation that made sense and they could have had a perfectly good story written about them without any version mascots at all.

So yeah I hope they're just thugs and not psychopaths this time.
Rocket and Plasma are my faves, too, and I feel pretty much the same. Like you said, I want a villainous team that feels like it exists for a reason, and which may use some legendary to accomplish its goal, but which you could imagine being around even if that legendary didn't exist. Or maybe I'm just tired of "destroy/take over the world" plots, which is what the legendary-focused teams' stories lean towards.

I suppose I'm a bit biased as a fanfic writer, though; I like teams where it feels like I can tell new stories with them, and teams that are very tied to a particular legendary are harder to do that with. Like, if you're going to tell a story about Magma and Aqua, it's kind of got to be set in Hoenn and have something to do with Groudon/Kyogre. On the other hand, Team Rocket can be out causing trouble pretty much wherever and however you want, scum and villainy is just their thing. Even if they don't have any canonical presence in Hoenn, you could totally drop them in there and have them be up to no good. Same deal with Plasma (or Cipher/Snagem! I like them, too).

I'm 0kay with the Team Skull design, though, personally.

Cute little mushroom flower! Cute little fish - wait big weird fish made of fish, no I like the cute little fish better, make it come back. But cute little spiky sea cucumber/rubber sticky hand thing.

Also, Alolan Raichu is basically Surfing Pikachu.

Also, do Cubone and Pikachu not have Alolan forms then?! Or have they just not been released yet? How could a Pokemon evolve (in the biological sense) as an evolution but not as a pre-evolution?!

Murkrow said:
And I hope they reference the original games at some point with the ghost Marowak.

Also, they can't not. I really hope they do.

Rocket and Plasma are my faves, too, and I feel pretty much the same. Like you said, I want a villainous team that feels like it exists for a reason, and which may use some legendary to accomplish its goal, but which you could imagine being around even if that legendary didn't exist. Or maybe I'm just tired of "destroy/take over the world" plots, which is what the legendary-focused teams' stories lean towards.

So much agreement.

Also, do Cubone and Pikachu not have Alolan forms then?! Or have they just not been released yet? How could a Pokemon evolve (in the biological sense) as an evolution but not as a pre-evolution?!

We don't know if they will or not! But iirc it's been confirmed that normal Exeggcute evolves into both normal Exeggutor and Alolan Exeggutor.

I adore Alolan Raichu. I've loved Raichu ever since HGSS when I brought a Pikachu up from my LeafGreen version and trained and evolved him. I love that single Raichu so much, out of every pokemon in all of my games she is my favorite, and now they add an Alolan form which gives Raichu my second favorite type, Psychic?! Perfect. This is bliss.

New pokemon revealed at Gamescom, Fire/Dragon tortoise Turtonator! Has a new move, Shell Trap that's kind of like Counter.

Such a cool turtletortle ahh I love it *u*

finally a mata mata yesss

Would've been nice if it weren't another fire-type, but still more interesting than the obvious water!

The sandcastles and Bewear pre-evo have English names now (Sandygast, Palossand and Stufful respectively), and there's also a new Fighting-type crab called Crabrawler! I'm not in love with its design, but I'm definitely 100% here for crab/turtle/etc Pokemon not automatically being Water-types!

A new trailer with all kinds of wild shit, including weird synthetic doggo pokemon, Ultra Beasts, time differences between versions, some sort of good (?) organization and in-game Pokemon Snap!! The hype train just keeps going faster! :O :D

The Aether Foundation looks really cool to me! Part of me really hopes this is going to turn out as an improved version of the whole "good guys are actually bad" thing they attempted for all of five minutes in BW until the Plasma Grunts kicked the Munna. But another part of me is worried that even if they do better than BW, it still won't be good. Eh, I'm waiting with bated breath.

Oh and Gladion hopefully will finally be a return to the RBY/GSC type of rival who mops the floor with you and isn't friendly!

Other than that everything looks... pretty good! Not spectacular enough for me to get excited over, but pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom