• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Christmas Event 2008: Ideas, plz

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
Okay, I need to get back to writing and stuff so I'll make this as short as I can (hahaha yeah right, Kratos). I want to hold another event along the lines of the Halloween one, but as I am still novelling and otherwise occupied with other things I need help coming up with ideas. Espeon has offered to help with stuff, but I still want more input. And since the Halloween event went rather slowly and not that many people seemed to be interested, it's a good opportunity for you all to tell me what you actually want in an event, then. If the Halloween event wasn't interesting enough, what would make the Christmas one more appealing to you? What do you want? As long as it's reasonable and there seems to be enough interest, there's no reason we can't try it out.

I had a few things in mind already, mostly just simple stuff like a free raffle-drawing-thing for some prizes. Espeon suggested finding a way to work some themed battles in there as well. That's about as far as I've gotten. Surely you guys can think of something interesting, yes?

The other thing I need from you guys is, if possible, help running the event. I did the whole Halloween thing by myself, which wasn't too bad as there wasn't an awful lot going on and I already had almost half of the Pokémon I needed for the battles, so catching/training/trading wasn't a huge headache. But if the Christmas event is going to be bigger or more complicated, I'm not going to be able to handle the whole thing myself. Other people willing to offer prizes, serve as opponents, handle PMing people, etc. would be absolutely wonderful, and I'll see what I can do as far as compensation goes. And as I plan for there to be more than one activity, it's not like offering to help battle people would automatically mean you don't get to do anything else.

It would be cool if the event could run for the better part of December (so long as that leaves enough time to get stuff ready), so the sooner you get your ideas in/contribute to the discussion/offer to pitch in, the better.

So. Offer up ideas, discuss the ideas, see what is and isn't possible, etc., etc.. That is, unless you want your TCoD Wi-Fi Christmas to totally suck.

...crap, I still need to get the general event thread thingie written up. TOMORROW I mean IN TWO DAYS that is to say next week or maybe next month or, well, you know, eventually probably almost maybe

Meh, I guess I can try to help out with what I can. Just try not to rely too heavily on me. D:

I can give a shiny or two as prizes. And maybe be an opponent.

We could do Ice type and vaguely festive-like pokemon themed battles.

Though I probably won't be able to get a good team done by then, I'm quite interested in a (small) doubles tournament taking place for a change. Or maybe even a few UU matches, which I don't think have ever happened.

The only other thing I can think of is some really stupid tournament where we all have to use Delibrids, Stantlers and various other Christmas-ish pokémon. What Prettzel said.

Hey Kratos, I had an idea for a prize for some battling thing. My game that I'm making is going to have a festival town based around Christmas and there's going to be a "Festival" Arena with battles with decour and pokemon of Christmassy style. And so I was thinking that the winners of a tournament or whatever could be placed ingame as Arena Champions and you have to battle them in the final rounds.
If this is a bad idea, just tell me and also I'd help out with everything but I'm going to NZ over from Dec to mid Jan and so won't really be online much.

Okay I gave my stupid Christmas team idea a bit more thought and what I was thinking of is, say, a pool of Christmas pokémon which we have to choose from. Like every Ice type, every pokémon that learns Present, and a few other select pokémon like Stantler (Rudolf?) and Starmie (the thing on top of the Christmas tree! also it learns Rapid Spin and can survive Fire attacks well coughcough) - so each person chooses five of these pokémon and builds a team with them, and then throws a Delibird in so it's not just "who can make the best Hail team?" or something.

Just an idea that can be tweaked all it needs to be, but yeah. :)

Yes, that's what I was thinking, although we'd need to consider how Christmas-y is enough to be allowed (I'm looking at you, Sceptile).

All right, let's see what we have here.

First of all, Walker and Prettzel, thank you for offering to help--I'll let you know what I need you to do (if anything) when we finalize whatever's going to happen.

Second, the ideas. I suppose a pool of "Christmas" Pokémon is one way to look at it. I'd have to check a list and see which ones I think fit the bill, but if anyone else has any suggestions as to what should be in the pool then speak up.

Tournaments generally don't fall under the heading of "events"--they're supposed to be other things, and tournaments are just tournaments--but given the general lack of ideas on my part, a doubles and/or UU tournament is also a possibility (although I get the impression that most "Christmasesque" Pokémon would fall under the BL/UU heading anyway). The thing about that is, since this is would be a general event and not a Chrome/Crystal specific one, we would have to keep in mind that it needs to be kept relatively accessible to the people who want to participate but don't battle competitively. That would mean either tweaking the tournament format or running two tournaments at once, which I would rather not do--if that's what we end up doing it would be cool if someone else volunteered to keep track of one of the tournaments.

Well, White Wolf, you can offer people a place in your game as a prize if you like, but I'm not sure that that's of altogether too much interest around this neck of the forums. As this is the Wi-Fi league, actual prizes that people can use in their Diamond and Pearl games (a rare or special Pokémon you can trade to them, for example) are generally more appropriate. I mean hey, I could be wrong--there might be people who are interested in that. Keep the offer on the back burners, I guess.

I would like to try and start this within the next two weeks, so if anyone else has any suggestions at all I would appreciate hearing them sooner rather than later.

Okay I went through a list of pokémon and I thought the following could work:
Ice-types
Stantler (Rudolf)
Starmie (top of the Christmas tree)
Bronzong (Christmas bells)
Clefable (fairy/angel?)
Electrode (I dunno... it looks like a bauble :/)
Togekiss (more fairies? Togetic looks like one)
Castform (snow Castform?)
Pokémon that can learn Present (Azumarill, Blissey, Granbull, Miltank, Pika/Raichu, Wigglytuff)

Quite a few of them are a stretch, but eh. Oh, and both Togekiss and Clefable learn Present too. One non-tournament thing that could work is the people running the event all make a team of Christmas pokémon, then the people signed up the event have to battle those teams and see how well they do? To make things fairer, it could be made so that the people using competitive pokémon are only allowed to use a team of four, and people not using competitive pokémon are allowed to use six... or something like that. It's just an example, really, you might be able to use it to get your own ideas.

Okay, please don't say Rudolf. Reindeer please. It annoys the crap out of me when people say "Rudolph" meaning "reindeer" as the other reindeer are more traditional than Rudolf.

Also, since when was Walrein christmassy. I think you need to be a little more select with your Pokémon here? :s

Either way, not all of us have time to put together a christmas team in two weeks. Maybe teams of 3 would be better or something.

Okay, please don't say Rudolf. Reindeer please. It annoys the crap out of me when people say "Rudolph" meaning "reindeer" as the other reindeer are more traditional than Rudolf.
I was wondering whether to put 'reindeer' instead but I didn't think it mattered since both are associated with Christmas.
Either way, not all of us have time to put together a christmas team in two weeks. Maybe teams of 3 would be better or something.
Partially why I came up with the idea of only a few people doing it, and the rest just trying to beat those or something. I certainly wouldn't be able to get a Christmas team done by then. Teams of three sounds a bit more practical, but I don't know how that would fit in with the idea of it not just being for the competitive players.

I just suggested all Ice-types because it's much more convenient than ploughing through them trying to decide which ones fit and which ones don't. It's not my Christmas event, those are just the ones I'd consider if I was running it.

Maybe we could have some sort of Metronome battles, with each person using only 3 or so pokemon, although there's the problem of not that many people who want to use up a tutor move/too few pokemon that learn it naturally.

Maybe there could be some sort 'maze' type puzzle, poosibly with battles here and there, but it'd be a pain to implement properly.

I have considered Metronome battles before, yes, but I don't know that they really fit in with the whole Christmas thing. I was thinking that would work for something more general.

If you really want it now you can go ahead and try to sell me on it, though.

Well, one could say that, like with Christmas presents, you never know what you'll get with Metronome. It's also quite a bit more lighthearted than just some ordinary tournament.

All right, I think I've made my decisions. We can go ahead with the Metronome battle tournament thing, and I have a few other non-battle things planned. As for the "Christmas pool battle" thing, well, that can go one of three ways. One, we can hold two tournaments, one competitive and one casual, in which case I would really appreciate it if someone else (or even two other people, one for each tourney) would step up and help organize them. Two, we can go for the challenge where you just battle specific opponents, in which case I would need people to volunteer as opponents (again, at least one competitive and one casual would be preferable). Or three, we can just skip that bit altogether. If anyone has any preference for option one or option two, or would like to help out with something specific, speak up now or we go with option three.

I'm not so sure about the pool battle thing anymore...If we're having a Metronome 'battle tournament thing' and some non-battle events, then things might get a little cluttered, but oh well.

I'm not against it at all, and if people speak up about either of the options, I could be an opponent/organize the casual tournament thing (horrors!). I'm leaning towards option two for now, although I don't know if there'd be enough interest to have two tournaments+Metronome battles going on at once.

I guess I can try to organize one of the tournaments (metronomemetronomemetronomemetronome). :v

There doesn't seem to be much interest in anything other than the Metronome battles so I doubt it'd be worth the effort to anything else.

Back
Top Bottom