• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

I'M CHALLENGING ZHORKEN. I'M GOING TO DIE BUT I CHALLENGE HER ANYWAY.

Format: 2vs2 single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs
Arena Description: An Ill-fated Playground
This playground near the edge of a forest needs to be upgraded, and how better to commit insurance fraud than to set a pokemon battle in it? Like all good playgrounds, it's shaded and has a plastic jungle gym, bars to hang from, slide, swings, swimming pool, barbed wire fence .... You know, the basics.

Since it's a playground for kids, unevolved pokemon that can evolve only, please!
Profile link: Here

I'M CHALLENGING ZHORKEN. I'M GOING TO DIE BUT I CHALLENGE HER ANYWAY.

Format: 2vs2 single
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs
Arena Description: An Ill-fated Playground
This playground near the edge of a forest needs to be upgraded, and how better to commit insurance fraud than to set a pokemon battle in it? Like all good playgrounds, it's shaded and has a plastic jungle gym, bars to hang from, slide, swings, swimming pool, barbed wire fence .... You know, the basics.

Since it's a playground for kids, unevolved pokemon that can evolve only, please!

hell yes

Hoo boy, it's been a while.

Format: 3v3 single
DQ: 10 days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, Moves requiring a large body of water.
Arena Description: Arena Ferox - A large colosseum with ample room for even the largest of pokemon. The arena is circular, and is surrounded on all sides by walls of cheering Feroxi.

Additional Rules: To spice things up, pokemon in this battle can be paired up, similar to the support system in Fire Emblem Awakening. The pokemon currently on the field is the active pokemon, and at the cost of forgoing a round of actions the active pokemon can be paired with one of the remaining secondary pokemon. Secondary pokemon do not battle, do not lose energy, cannot be targeted, and instead have a 40% chance to perform a support action that round.

If the support pokemon acts during a round, there is a 25% chance that the pokemon will perform a guard action, halving the damage that the active pokemon takes over the course of the round. In return, the support pokemon will take 5% typeless damage.

The remaining 75% of the time, the support pokemon will perform an attack action, which replaces the last commanded action its trainer gives that round. The attack acts similar to assist, and is a random damage-dealing or status-inflicting move from the support pokemon's movepool.

If the active pokemon is knocked out, then the support pokemon becomes the new active pokemon. Additionally, although the support pokemon cannot be targeted, moves that encompass a wide area of affect have a 50% chance to inflict 5% typeless damage to a support pokemon.

Support pokemon cannot be switched out or unpaired once they have been sent out.

Profile Link: here

Fire Emblem Awakening theme? Count me in. My lame profile

blazhy it is payback time
(this challenge is for blazheirio889 only everyone else gtfo)

Format: 3vs3 single
Style: Switch
DQ: Standard week
Banned Moves: OHKO's, moves requiring a source of water
Arena: Shibuya

This battle takes place in the centre of Scramble Crossing in Shibuya, Tokyo, the setting for the game The World Ends With You. Somehow clothes and pins have entirely fallen out of fashion recently, and been replaced in popularity by Pokémon moves. At any one time, there are three majorly popular Pokémon types, which are awarded a damage bonus of x1.5 for the most popular, x1.25 for the second most popular and x1.1 for the third most popular. These start off randomly, but fluctuate as the battle progresses, and changes must be noted by the referee on completion of a round. It is up to the referee to decide what makes one type more popular than another; they may decide it's simply the type that is used most, or that there's a point where repetition gets boring and a new type would be all the rage. Frequency may not even factor into it- a particularly successful move's type might gain major popularity. Again, it's entirely the referee's decision how to work this out.

Additionally after the third action of each round Noise will appear and attack a random Pokémon. They will also drop a pin, which a Pokémon can sacrifice an action and retrieve, adding a new move to its repertoire until the end of the battle or such time that it discards the pin to pick up a new one. Unclaimed pins vanish when new ones are dropped. There is a 50% chance of each of their two pins being dropped. The Noise that may appear and the pins they drop are as follows:

Tradishfrog (20% chance of appearing); deals 1% Water damage and drops Frog (Soak) or Lightning Pawn (Electro Ball)

Alterna Wolf (15% chance of appearing); deals 2% Normal damage and drops Wolf (Extremespeed) or Cure Drink (Milk Drink) (the Cure Drink pin is discarded after one use)

Wall of Grizzly (5% chance of appearing); deals 5% Fighting damage and drops Grizzly (Boomburst) or Wonder Magnum (Pin Missile)

Death Thrash Mink (10% chance of appearing); deals 2% Flying damage and drops Mink (Hurricane) or 1000 Yen (adds $1 to the prize money of the trainer whose Pokémon picks it up- can be picked up/held if the Pokémon has other pins, but no more than 3 can be picked up per Pokémon)

Shrew Wave (10% chance of appearing); deals 2% Ground damage and drops Shrew (Mud Bomb) or Flower of Flame (Inferno)

Metal Corehog (5% chance of appearing); deals 3% Steel damage to all Pokémon and drops Corehog (Spiky Shield) or Love Me Tether (Spider Web)

Progfox (5% chance of appearing); deals 3% typeless damage to all Pokémon and drops Fox (Mystical Fire) or Blown Kiss (Draining Kiss)

House Rhino (3% chance of appearing); deals 6% Fighting damage and drops Rhino (Megahorn) or Rakuyo (Sky Uppercut)

Carcinosamps (10% chance of appearing); deals 2% Normal damage and drops Strong 'n Proud (Glare) or Crackle Pop Barrier (Reflect)

2-step Boomer (4% chance of appearing); deals 4% Flying damage with a 30% chance of paralysis, and drops Boomer (Dizzy Punch) or Pop Pendulum (Bonemerang)

Woolly AOR (3% chance of appearing); deals 7% Ground damage to all Pokémon and drops Woolly (Earthquake) or Cosmic Pull (Meteor Mash)

Ragtime Drake (3% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dragon damage and drops Black Mars (Fire Blast) or Drake (Draco Meteor)

Pig Mazurka (2% chance of appearing); does not attack. Drops Pig (multiplies prize money by 1.1 if still held at the end of the battle, but also reduces the EXP yield of the Pokémon who picked it up by 1) or a random pin dropped by any of the other Noise.

Ovis Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dark damage and drops Ovis (Zap Cannon) or Stalwart as the Mount (bestows Steadfast on the holder until the pin is relinquished)

Leo Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dark damage and drops Leo (Foul Play) or Fierce as the Flame (bestows Soundproof on the holder until the pin is relinquished)

Tigris Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dark damage and drops Tigris (Icicle Crash) or Swift as the Wind (bestows Keen Eye on the holder until the pin is relinquished); in any case, always drops Rhyme (Sky Attack) in addition to either of the above.

Anguis Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dark damage and drops Anguis (Coil) or Hushed as the Wood (bestows Serene Grace on the holder until the pin is relinquished)

Panthera Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% typeless damage to both Pokémon. Drops no pins.

shi-booyah

Last edited:
Daaaang. You fuckin rock.

Also, I haven't put Sangfroidish vs blazheirio889 on the "Challenges Needing Refs" list since blazheirio hasn't actually accepted it yet — that was the convention in the old league, right?

Also, I haven't put Sangfroidish vs blazheirio889 on the "Challenges Needing Refs" list since blazheirio hasn't actually accepted it yet — that was the convention in the old league, right?
I think the convention in the old league was "negrek almost never updated the board before the challenged person accepted it", hmmm.

Perhaps you should put it down in Open Challenges, but with something like "(for blazheirio889)"?

Cool cool :D I would like to use my Wingull and Swinub! Since my team is full of helpless little babies, could I request unevolved Pokémon only and all Pokémon will have 0 experience for the purposes of damage calculation? (as it turns out none of your unevolved things have <4 exp anyway so it's a moot point)

Once you pick your things I will update my first post with our teams (feel free to change your mind before the battle starts though) and some arbitrary DQ time and stuff, and a few more details about the arena.
Would me using Houndour and Rufflet be okay?

I've been waiting for this moment.

Format: 1 vs 1 vs 1, Singles
DQ: 7 days, which is quite merciful considering that you literally just have to post instead of actually coming up with commands
Damage Cap: 32%
Banned/Restricted Moves: All moves but Metronome
Arena Description: Classic Metronome
After a painful destruction and a grueling reconstruction, Asber is back on hinges and bustling as ever. However, for its own good, one must subject one's work to harsh tests rather than soft ones... So, can the new and improved Asber take the same licking that its fine students have unleashed upon major cities all around the world? There's only one way to find out. From the cutting-edge modernity in the buildings where the new ASB Database is stored, to abandoned and decriept ruins such as that of the Pokémon Registration Office, nothing is safe from total annihilation -- if only the gods of random numbers shall permit it to occur.
Additional Rules: Only Pokémon who can learn the move Metronome are admissible for this battle. Pokémon need not be in the active squad to be chosen for this battle and can be sent out from the PC instead. Essentially, each participant's custom active squad for this match is consisted of all of their Metronome-using Pokémon. All Pokémon in battle will have their Energy count restored to 100% at the end of each round. Also, no experience or money will be awarded to the participants of this battle -- no rewards but the satisfaction of wrecking some good old-fashioned chaos! (All referee rewards are as regular, however)
Profile Link

Since this already has all its participants and it looks like some real fun, can I also volunteer to ref this match?

blazhy it is payback time
(this challenge is for blazheirio889 only everyone else gtfo)

Format: 3vs3 single
Style: Switch
DQ: Standard week
Banned Moves: OHKO's, moves requiring a source of water
Arena: Shibuya

This battle takes place in the centre of Scramble Crossing in Shibuya, Tokyo, the setting for the game The World Ends With You. Somehow clothes and pins have entirely fallen out of fashion recently, and been replaced in popularity by Pokémon moves. At any one time, there are three majorly popular Pokémon types, which are awarded a damage bonus of x1.5 for the most popular, x1.25 for the second most popular and x1.1 for the third most popular. These start off randomly, but fluctuate as the battle progresses, and changes must be noted by the referee on completion of a round. It is up to the referee to decide what makes one type more popular than another; they may decide it's simply the type that is used most, or that there's a point where repetition gets boring and a new type would be all the rage. Frequency may not even factor into it- a particularly successful move's type might gain major popularity. Again, it's entirely the referee's decision how to work this out.

Additionally after the third action of each round Noise will appear and attack a random Pokémon. They will also drop a pin, which a Pokémon can sacrifice an action and retrieve, adding a new move to its repertoire until the end of the battle or such time that it discards the pin to pick up a new one. Unclaimed pins vanish when new ones are dropped. There is a 50% chance of each of their two pins being dropped. The Noise that may appear and the pins they drop are as follows:

Tradishfrog (20% chance of appearing); deals 1% Water damage and drops Frog (Soak) or Lightning Pawn (Electro Ball)

Alterna Wolf (15% chance of appearing); deals 2% Normal damage and drops Wolf (Extremespeed) or Cure Drink (Milk Drink) (the Cure Drink pin is discarded after one use)

Wall of Grizzly (5% chance of appearing); deals 5% Fighting damage and drops Grizzly (Boomburst) or Wonder Magnum (Pin Missile)

Death Thrash Mink (10% chance of appearing); deals 2% Flying damage and drops Mink (Hurricane) or 1000 Yen (adds $1 to the prize money of the trainer whose Pokémon picks it up- can be picked up/held if the Pokémon has other pins, but no more than 3 can be picked up per Pokémon)

Shrew Wave (10% chance of appearing); deals 2% Ground damage and drops Shrew (Mud Bomb) or Flower of Flame (Inferno)

Metal Corehog (5% chance of appearing); deals 3% Steel damage to all Pokémon and drops Corehog (Spiky Shield) or Love Me Tether (Spider Web)

Progfox (5% chance of appearing); deals 3% typeless damage to all Pokémon and drops Fox (Mystical Fire) or Blown Kiss (Draining Kiss)

House Rhino (3% chance of appearing); deals 6% Fighting damage and drops Rhino (Megahorn) or Rakuyo (Sky Uppercut)

Carcinosamps (10% chance of appearing); deals 2% Normal damage and drops Strong 'n Proud (Glare) or Crackle Pop Barrier (Reflect)

2-step Boomer (4% chance of appearing); deals 4% Flying damage with a 30% chance of paralysis, and drops Boomer (Dizzy Punch) or Pop Pendulum (Bonemerang)

Woolly AOR (3% chance of appearing); deals 7% Ground damage to all Pokémon and drops Woolly (Earthquake) or Cosmic Pull (Meteor Mash)

Ragtime Drake (3% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dragon damage and drops Black Mars (Fire Blast) or Drake (Draco Meteor)

Pig Mazurka (2% chance of appearing); does not attack. Drops Pig (multiplies prize money by 1.1 if still held at the end of the battle, but also reduces the EXP yield of the Pokémon who picked it up by 1) or a random pin dropped by any of the other Noise.

Ovis Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dark damage and drops Ovis (Zap Cannon) or Stalwart as the Mount (bestows Steadfast on the holder until the pin is relinquished)

Leo Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dark damage and drops Leo (Foul Play) or Fierce as the Flame (bestows Soundproof on the holder until the pin is relinquished)

Tigris Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dark damage and drops Tigris (Icicle Crash) or Swift as the Wind (bestows Keen Eye on the holder until the pin is relinquished); in any case, always drops Rhyme (Sky Attack) in addition to either of the above.

Anguis Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% Dark damage and drops Anguis (Coil) or Hushed as the Wood (bestows Serene Grace on the holder until the pin is relinquished)

Panthera Cantus (1% chance of appearing); deals 10% typeless damage to both Pokémon. Drops no pins.

shi-booyah

Linkydink

I am going to destroy you C:

Format: 2v2 double
Style: switch
DQ: one (1) fortnight
Damage Cap: 0%
Banned/Restricted Moves: none
Arena Description: res did a thing again on the open ocean

We return to this place which seemed empty, except for the ocean, the air above it, overcast clouds, and the visitors. There still is no land; pokémon which cannot fly, float, swim, or otherwise support themselves are ineligible to participate. But, we know now ... in his house at Ci'hlur Hæbrn, dead Hjougnr lies in dreamless slumber ...

But, well, this time the involved parties were aware of such a thing, and this time, as a precaution, they have brought the Great Baton of the Boss Lady of the First Days before the Great Fire and the Ruin After to ward off damage.

(―and don't let anyone convince you that it's a precaution against res having rigged the arena! slander! lies!)

... they may have overdone it.

Rain Dance comes into effect at the beginning of each round. At the end of each odd-numbered round, a water spout effect, generated by a source equivalent to a final-stage water-type pokémon at full health, affects all battlers, ignoring any evasion modifiers. This is affected by the damage cap.

... the damage cap is 0%.

Profile link: present

Not to hard of a battle to hopefully get back into this.

Format: 3v3 Singles
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Rest
Arena Description: Mt Pyre Summit -- Mountain summit battling! Be careful not to fall of the edge. (Though magic prevents this from happening. Safety first!)
Additional Rules: Pokemon must be in their lowest evolutionary stage. Pokemon that are unable to evolve are not permitted.

Not to hard of a battle to hopefully get back into this.

Format: 3v3 Singles
Arena Description: Mt Pyre Summit -- Mountain summit battling! Be careful not to fall of the edge. (Though magic prevents this from happening. Safety first!)
Additional Rules: Pokemon must be in their lowest evolutionary stage. Pokemon that are unable to evolve are not permitted.
I'll take this!

http://asb.dragonflycave.com/trainers/4-surskitty

Format: 2v2 double
Style: switch
DQ: one (1) fortnight
Damage Cap: 0%
Banned/Restricted Moves: none
Arena Description: res did a thing again on the open ocean

We return to this place which seemed empty, except for the ocean, the air above it, overcast clouds, and the visitors. There still is no land; pokémon which cannot fly, float, swim, or otherwise support themselves are ineligible to participate. But, we know now ... in his house at Ci'hlur Hæbrn, dead Hjougnr lies in dreamless slumber ...

But, well, this time the involved parties were aware of such a thing, and this time, as a precaution, they have brought the Great Baton of the Boss Lady of the First Days before the Great Fire and the Ruin After to ward off damage.

(―and don't let anyone convince you that it's a precaution against res having rigged the arena! slander! lies!)

... they may have overdone it.

Rain Dance comes into effect at the beginning of each round. At the end of each odd-numbered round, a water spout effect, generated by a source equivalent to a final-stage water-type pokémon at full health, affects all battlers, ignoring any evasion modifiers. This is affected by the damage cap.

... the damage cap is 0%.

Profile link: present

I'll take this. Probably going to drown.

(also, by 0% cap do you mean no cap? or that moves do no damage? I'm slightly confused. )

Well, I will make a short and sweet one, just to get the ball rolling.

Format: 1v1 Singles
Arena Description: A small forest, with a few ogres sleeping in some camps in little alcoves in the forest. They will tend to leave pokemon alone, unless directly attacked, then they will do 5% damage to the nearest pokemon and go back to sleep.
Additional Rules:
Profile link:here

Well, I will make a short and sweet one, just to get the ball rolling.

Format: 1v1 Singles
Arena Description: A small forest, with a few ogres sleeping in some camps in little alcoves in the forest. They will tend to leave pokemon alone, unless directly attacked, then they will do 5% damage to the nearest pokemon and go back to sleep.
Additional Rules:
Profile link:here

I'll take it!

My profile

This seems really cool. Here's a try for my first battle:

Format:2v2 singles
Style:Switch
DQ:1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO and direct recovery
Arena Description: We are playing... in a giant litter box. That's right, a giant litter box. Of course the trainers are standing outside of it, and besides it's clean anyway... right? Ground and rock type attacks are boosted 3%. Obvious cat types (Skitty, Purrloin, Meowth, Glameow, maybe more) gain 1.2x speed. (Would this mean that like, Purrloin with 66 speed gets 99 speed on the arena? Correct me if I am wrong. Edit, I know how it works now.) (And also is this legal?)
Profile link: :link Profile

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom