• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Puckamon, the OHRRPGCE Pokémon tribute/parody/etc. game! [Image-heavy]

nothing to see here

...probably not posting here too much anymore.
Pronoun
he/him
Puckamon, the OHRRPGCE Pokémon tribute/parody/etc. game! [Image-heavy]

Yep, I made another OHRRPGCE game that actually got somewhere. This one (like Okédoké) was made for a month-long contest; this one was the Ridiculous Games Contest. So I didn't actually have to make the game look 8-bit this time, but I did anyway because I seem to do better with graphics (especially making a lot of graphics in a short time) when I limit myself to only a few colors. And making everything green like an old Gameboy game is kind of ridiculous, after all.

It's basically a Pokémon parody/tribute/something-like-that game. Except that the critters you can catch are based on characters and random-encounter enemies from various OHRRPGCE games instead of actual Pokémon (with a handful of exceptions.)

Anyway, here's some screenshots:

rgc_preview_4.png
rgc_preview_3.png

rgc_preview_2.png
puckamon0006.png

puckamon0007.png
puckamon0008.png

puckamon0005.png
puckamon0013.png

rgc_preview_9.png
rgc_preview_6.png

puckamon0017.png
rgc_preview_12.png

rgc_preview_13.png
puckamon0022.png

JumpLedge.gif
puckamon0024.png

rgc_preview_14.png
Evolution.gif

puckamon0042.png
puckamon0037.png

puckamon0034.png
puckamon0040.png

puckamon0039.png
panurnanurnanurna.png

madscientistlab.png
dinosaurtriple.png

And you can download Puckamon at Slime Salad.

Since you probably aren't planning on voting in the Ridiculous Games Contest (and even if you are, you probably won't have enough time to play through all of the RGC games before the 28th), don't bother with the old version. The May 23rd update is just all-around better.

Re: Puckamon, the OHRRPGCE Pokémon tribute/parody/etc. game! [Image-heavy]

...I want this.

How many Puckamon are there?

Also, does the game run on Macs?

How many Puckamon are there?

Only 55 (technically 56, but one of these is a "secret" unobtainable Puckamon that will only show up in a few trainer battles later on), though you can't get all of them yet in the current demo.

The low number is mostly due to limitations in the engine--you're only allowed to make 60 playable characters per game, and your party can only have 41 characters in it at a time.

These are pretty much holdovers from the old DOS version, though, and there's a good chance that they'll change to much higher numbers at some point in the next year or so. When that happens, I'll probably end up making either an expanded version of Puckamon or a sequel. Either way, it'll have a much wider variety of critters (probably somewhere in the 100-150 range.)

Unfortunately, the OHRRPGCE and any games made using it are Windows-only programs... so far, anyway. I know they're working on versions for other platforms (I'm pretty sure a Linux version is being worked on, at least), so at some point in the future it should be possible to play it on a Mac.

At the moment though, it's only for Windows. I'm pretty sure there's ways to get a Windows program to work on a Mac... though I really don't have much experience with Macs, so I don't have the slightest idea how to do that.

...I love this game! It's really fun! (I clicked on the thread because it had a lot of capital letters in it). How long did it take you to make this? Is it all yours, sprites and maps and dialogue and everything?

You oughta post it on PC so that more people can see it and play it. :3

Okay, I approve of this screen:
puckamon0022.png

How long did it take you to make this?

A little over a month. I started on the graphics a few days ahead of time, then worked on the rest pretty much nonstop throughout the whole month of April.

I did work on it a bit more after that, but most of that was just rebalancing the stats and adding in one small area at the end to get rid of one part where the road just randomly cut off without even a "you can't get here yet" message.

Is it all yours, sprites and maps and dialogue and everything?

Everything in this game was made from scratch by me... except the music. That's mostly ripped from Pokémon R/B/Y/G/S/C, though there's also a few songs from some of the Pokémon spinoff games and the anime, a few from other games, and some random oddball things like a Lady Gaga song and the theme from COPS.

A lot of the Puckamon themselves are based on characters from other people's OHRRPGCE games, mostly to add to the ridiculousness (it was made for the Ridiculous Games Contest, after all.) I usually don't like putting obvious references to other people's stuff in my games... so I figured it'd be pretty ridiculous if I completely reversed that for one game.

Okay, I approve of this screen: (radishes)

Heh, that line actually came from my little sister (and she got it from one of her English teachers a few years back.) Apparently it was an example of how it was possible to write a poem about anything, even radishes.

I love how a furry evolves into a religious figure.

Looks like my original answer to this question is about to change! They're working on a Mac OS X port of the OHRRPGCE.

I'm not sure exactly how far along it is (the post I linked ot is pretty recent, and it's the first I've heard of a Mac port), and there seem to be some audio-related problems that might be a bit annoying (midi music doesn't loop and sound effects sound scratchy), but other than that it seems to be at least in a working, playable state.

So if you want to play Puckamon on a Mac, it should be possible now, if you can deal with some sound-based glitches.

EDIT: Of course, the PUCKAMON.EXE file included with the game won't work if you're on a Mac, so you'll need to use whichever program file comes with the Mac port instead; it will probably be titled "GAME" though I'm not familiar enough with Macs to say what the file extension would be. Running it will load up a list of every game you've got in that folder instead of just going to directly to Puckamon, but other than that should work exactly the same; if you want the program to skip the loading screen, just rename it "PUCKAMON".

Last edited:

Yo, I have one of ur games already, we both 8-bit dudes huh, Well anyway i want this game wanna send it over in a zip file, I f yes heres my email{nakagozangchi@gmail.com} or show where to download from. And if not that is totally ok.

I'm confused by why you're asking for me to send you the zip file in an email... the download link for this game is right there in the first post (right below all the screenshots.)

Back
Top Bottom