• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Money Sinks

FWIW I'm pretty sure the gift exchange will be back. Cancelling Christmas is a great way to get yourself chased out of town by a pitchfork-wielding mob.

Introduce a monthly subscription fee to TCoDASB with ASB$ as an alternative payment method. /s

On a somewhat more serious note, going back to the ideas of taxing purchases based on bank balance and refusing allowance to those with ludicrous amounts of cash, why not add up all of said taxes and divide them between those eligible to pick up allowance as a weekly allowance bonus? That way the richer players are getting no advantages or cool stuff out of the money sink and the money siphoned off them is helping make the poorer players better off rather than just disappearing into thin air.

Last edited:
The problem with a lot of these suggestions is that they still give an advantage to rich players. HAs and TMs and Megas all are things that give an edge in battle, the primary way that non-refs make money.

I guess my suggestion is maybe some sort of way for players to fund events? I'm not sure if it's a fee for hosting or buying the prizes or what but something like that.

How about having a raffle for a Legendary pokemon ?

& the more tickets you buy = an equal chance to win

Same with those that can only buy a single ticket

How much of this problem would go away if and when shops come back? Then you could have people set up vanity services, like the Dragon's Den or some sprite customization thing. Of course, that would end up funneling money to the shop owners, so maybe a tax for running a shop. Or just have them run by the "government", and the money doesn't actually go anywhere after it's spent >.>

What about that Game Corner thing Mike had? Of course, I guess that would be implemented once the shops are back up.

Maybe some kind of pay-to-play Mega Stone event? The only redeeming thing for Megas would be the boosted speeds.

Berry grab bags like Blastoise had, or maybe the things could be expanded for all items. They could be priced at $10-$15, maybe.

We do plan on implementing berry grab bags! I don't remember what the Game Corner was, though?

I think having charity raffles now and again might be nice. Plenty of older players have pokemon and/or items they no longer want or will never use, and they could donate them to be used as prizes. Then the actual tickets for the raffle serve as money sinks.

It's not something you'd be able to do terribly often, but it could be fun once a year or so, maybe.

I like the idea of a raffle and I think we can plan one c:

I keep thinking about this like... people with a lot of money can just buy Pokemon and items whenever, so the reward would have to be something you can't normally buy. (Rare Candies could work, but rich people prob shouldn't be able to just buy EXP as they (we???) tend to already have a lot of Pokemon with EXP, right)

I think we should think of things that are cool to have, but not necessarily helpful in battle, like shiny Pokemon and such? Hidden ability Pokemon maybe, Pokemon with weird types or moves they're not supposed to have. Ribbons and custom Pokeballs and things that show up on an individual Pokemon's page! (Although a lot of this will be moot if sigthings come back, and it would give Zhorken even more stuff to do. Sorry, Zhorken.)

...uh otherwise, we could put a proportional tax system on db purchases? (So if you had $0-50 you would be taxed $0, if you had $51-100 you would be taxed $1, if you had $2331 you would be taxed $30 or something)

I really like the idea of things that don't affect battle and I think that's something we can work on. Even if, previously, you could just give it to your poke - it wasn't implemented in anything 'official' like the db, so it's not really the same thing. Now, if you want to buy your poke something, I think we can make like... cute items to buy for it, that don't affect battle, like hats or scarves! Just to be cute. And maybe make them shiny, even.

I don't really care for a tax system, though, tbh...

Having some sort of Hidden Ability Capsule available for ridiculous asbux would be pretty neat, there are a fair few Pokémon I'd like a HA on to go with whatever nickname reference I have in mind for them. That said it does have the potential to give those who can afford it an actual edge in battle, and giving the richer players access to things that make them more powerful (except a larger and more varied team because really that's just a given) than the less well-off is a road we should look to avoid going down.

We do plan on adding a HA capsule c: But it's not gonna be buyable because yeah, that's unfair.

An alternative would be more "experience"-oriented services, i.e. rather than paying for a good of some kind you get access to an experience. Dragon's Den was basically this; iirc you didn't get anything particularly special for winning--the point was that the battle was an unusual/fun challenge. More shops along those lines might solve your problem, provided people generally were interested in visiting them.

What ultimately is the problem of certain players having much more money than others? Just that you're frustrated you can't do anything but buy more mon/items with it, and you already have all the mon/items you want?

Yeah, those are always good - we'd just need people who wanted to run them... re: "experience" services.

The point is mostly that yeah, there's a point where you just end up collecting money and have nothing to do with it.

I think the shops re-opening should solve most of the problems here. Stuff like Dragons' Den doesn't give the rich players an advantage, but is still a fun experience.

Maybe the talented people should start charging ASBucks for stuff like art requests and writing?

Back
Top Bottom