• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

^ And I was just waiting for her to watch it because I told her to hit me if I got obsessed.
Sign me up too please c:

...Actually I should go work on that picture of me as a pony

^ Here's why.

You have to be blind to not notice the pro-religion, anti-atheism overtones running throughout the episode. I'm not just saying this because I'm an atheist, as I still would think this way if I wasn't - I'm saying this because it seems to be rather harsh on atheism and obviously promoting religion. Also, for the core audience of this show, I don't think it's fair to them to bring in such blatant indoctrination.
I can't remember the term for this, but you know that thing where people try to brew up explanations to force things to fit into what they already have as a worldview when something comes along that doesn't fit? Or else dismiss them out of hand or whatever? I saw the episode as being about that kind of thing the whole way through. I didn't even think of it from a theism standpoint until I saw people being indignant about it. :P

EDIT: ANYWAY I'm supercurious now about the relationship between Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. I figured they were sisters to complete the triangle, but Lauren Faust says they're not related. But
Dash shows up after the talent show when Rarity and Applejack show up to congratulate their sisters
, so I'm still wondering. I'm sort of imagining something like Dash being Scoot's hero and Dash humouring her. Something really cute, at any rate.

EDIT2: Expanding on the skepticism thing—a lot of things we know about today thanks to science were once dismissed as preposterous! It's a good thing to be able to admit when you're wrong, even when you can't make sense of it. I honestly really don't think the lesson was supposed to be "don't question things".

Last edited:
Also, Lauren Faust has said that the religious overtones of the epsiode are unintentional. Make of that what you will. (Source)

Ahaha, I hadn't seen that before and I love it. Lauren Faust is the most awesome cartoonist ever, seriously.

I think it's a bit extreme to assume that there are religious overtones in that episode... I mostly agree with what Rainbow Dash said. Also, kids don't honestly pay attention to any of that. I think sometimes people give kids too much credit. I remember when I was one, I didn't understand half of the things in a show that I would now if I rewatched it. Many things went over my head. So I highly doubt that even if it were, which is unlikely to me, that it would indoctrine kids or make them believe in religion. Their minds would not make the connection, most likely. It sounds to me from reading some of that article that what bothered people was the way the moral was worded... I did find it a bit jarring at first, but I didn't really associate it with religion.

Anyways! My favourite ones:

1. Fluttershy
2. Rainbow Dash
3. Spike
4. Applejack
5. Twilight Sparkle

@Zora: I like your pony! Nahaha. The expression is particularly amusing.

Yeah, the moral was dubious, but the episode was hilarious.

The last episode was alright. Not the best, but not bad. I lol'd at the song.

23sujwo.jpg

Last edited:
Topic change!

Which of the ponies reminds you most of yourself?

For me, I think I chose just the right character as my username.

-I sometimes care too much about how I look
-I generally don't really care about/notice problems around me unless they affect me (ref.: SotC)
-I frequently pay way too much attention to detail/statistics/what have you while missing the big picture
-I prefer to rely on tools than my own strength/skill (ref.: Sonic Rainboom)
-I even have a hybrid accent (but mine's Mid-Pacific, which is my term for half-Asian, half-American)

I think Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash remind me most of me.

- I can be just like Rainbow Dash in a race. :P or like in Sonic Rainboom.
- In school I'm mostly like Fluttershy, Very shy, don't talk to random people. and I'm scared of lotsa things.

Also why can't i get a awesome user name like you all? :( All i got is a sucky one... even though she's the most adorable and cute pony that has a 80's version.

Right so, finished watching the current episodes.... B'AWWW ;-; b-but now I have to wait for new ones. I am sad now.

...But anyway Re: Pinkie Keen - If there are religious undertones there as far as I'm concerned they're all fabricated, nothing of the sort is mentioned and I failed to see how 'pinkie senses' could relate to any sort of religion. If she had noted "A giant [more] magical glowing pony from the sky told me these things would happen!" then possibly, but 'My leg shakes and stuff happens' doesn't sound like anything from the bibble to me. (Albeit, haven't read it, heh.) In a show for kids, they'd have to really drive the point home for it to be any sort of 'indoctrination', but without a specific catalyst it becomes 'lol pinkie u so sily'.

As for ponies - from the main cast I'd call myself closest to Twilight. First of all, purple, hell yeah. Second of all I have a habit of.. over-researching and relying too much on an abundance of information at my fingertips. (See: Look before you Sleep. Obviously an extreme example but you get the point.)
Runner up goes to Rainbow Dash, for the fiery, rash approach to certain problems... Yes, those two combo for.. interesting effect. Oh, and rainbows, fuck yeah. <3

I would say I'm most like Sweetie Belle because I love to sing, and I'm quite good at it from what I've been told, but I doubt I'll ever get far in life with it. I'm also always searching for what I'm going to do in life, who I'm going to be with, and whatnot.

I'm like Rarity because I always plan everything out, and love to look very fashionable. I try to turn heads as often as I can.

I'm like Rainbow Dash because I just have a smudge of tomboyish nature in me :)

I'm like Fluttershy because I love animals, especially baby ones :3

And finally, I'm like Pinkie Pie because I can be very, very hyper.

I'm pretty much like Fluttershy the most out of all of them. Her shyness, like I said before, is an accurate portrayal to me... I'm pretty much like that in real life. Although I can be as abrasive as Rainbow Dash too.

I'm sure absolutely nobody would argue with my Pinkie Pie vibes...

(Although personally, I think I'm more of a Rarity.)

I'm definitely a Twilight Sparkle. Brainy, likes to read, deadpan snarker.

If I do say so myself.

The newest episode is now my favorite. You just gotta ship SpikeXRarity. Spike's so freakin' cute when he's swooning over her. And Rarity is now my second-favorite pony :)

oh my god yes. BEST EPISODE.

I THOUGHT YOU WAAAANTED WHINING

Last edited:
THIS HARNESS IS TOO TIGHT! IT'S GOING TO CHAFE! CAN'T YOU LOOSEN IT?! OH! IT HURTS AND IT'S RUSTY! WHY DIDN'T YOU CLEAN IT FIRST?! IT'S GONNA STAIN AND THE WAGON'S GETTING HEAVY! WHY DO I HAVE TO PULL IT?!

And my second favorite quote is "Ah! Dirt!"

Hey bronies!

This will make you choked up. Just incredible stuff. You will never see Rainbow Dash in the same light ever again. (I posted, by the way - I'm Effercon.)

Also, I just wanted to say that I'm now composing a crossover fic of MLP and K-On. Watch out for it here - I might even submit it to Equestria Daily someday.

Finally, I've been trying to come up with a character theme song for each character, as in the "Series X iPods" videos.

Here's what I've come up with so far.

Rarity
Pinkie Pie
Applejack
Rainbow Dash (someone needs to do a Sonic Rainboom AMV to this song)

(you lot can come up with suggestions if you want)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom