• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I can see room for concern, but the lesson doesn't suggest that at all. I also took the distinguishing of poison not as "a potion would have been okay" but "there was never a potion". I mean, they realised 'no, this is not okay' and didn't even consider 'let's find a recipe that's not a poison'.

Token heteronormativity was to be expected, but not much can be done about that (and it could've been worse beyond the song and single instance of "stallion"). Really, apart from the song, I thought it was a brilliant episode.
Even then it could've been presumed that the CMC knew Cheerilee was straight...?
I dunno, maybe I'm hoping for too much.

As long as love potions aren't treated like the result is anywhere in the ballpark of okay or consensual, I don't really see the problem with them as a plot device in fiction. Yeah, they're bad, and the story absolutely needs to recognize that, but as long as it does...? The effects of the love potion were being treated as dodgy before they actually found out about the curse, too; the curse was mainly to give the sense of urgency/race-against-time aspect.

It made sense to me that little kids were involved; it was clear that they didn't understand how romance actually works, and their ideas about it seemed fairly realistically kidlike to me. Kids commonly assume romance is always between a boy and a girl because they think that's just how things are, and kids have never felt romantic attraction, so instead of thinking of romance as arising from feelings people have for one another, they think it's supposed to just happen given some superficial qualities or similarities of the people as individuals - they're both really nice so of course they should be together, or he saved her so of course they should be together, or if they got together there would be these benefits so of course they should be together. I actually found that pretty cute and well done - the fact their idea of relationships is heteronormative is kind of offset by the fact that the whole point of the episode is that their ideas were naïve and ridiculous. Having them consider fillies as well in that context strikes me as more problematic if anything, since that would give off the "oh, silly little kids who think a girl can be with another girl!" vibe.

Also, it was one of the show's funnier episodes in my opinion, and since I'm mostly watching for the humour, that's a big plus for me. So yeah, it ranks pretty up there as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Smile Smile Smile was actually sang in "A Friend in Deed". I actually liked that it showed Rainbow Dash reading. I thought this episode was rather sweet.

Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake
The ancient pony from the funeral
Depressed!Pinkie with muted colors
Rainbow Dash with her nose in a Daring Do book
Pinkie chasing Cranky all over the place the way she did to Rainbow in Gilda's episode
The Grand Galloping Gala (granted, it was one from way long ago, but the connection's still there)

This episode has all the continuity. All of it.

Also the Smile Song is the best song. And Derpy flies around in a snowglobe(?!)

Oh my god BEST PINKIE EPISODE EVER oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

that is all

EDIT: Seriously though I love Pinkie and she'd been slowly slipping into the slot of "boringest pony" which is not a slot I'd like to have filled by anypony and this episode saved her yesssssss

The continuity in this episode was amazing, and the coreography during the main musical number was top notch. I'd consider this a good candidate for Best of Season 2, especially out of what we've seen so far.
Definitely made up for the Pinkie bits I didn't like so much in The Last Roundup and Baby Cakes.

Pinkie is such a stalker. D:
Least she made up for it in the end.

*waits for a Fluttershy ep* :)

I keep forgetting why Pinkie Pie is my favorite but after this I don't think I have the right to forget anymore. Just...antics. Antics everywhere. Easily the best of the season so far.

:DDDDDDDDD hopefully another Zecora-esque recurring character?

I kind of like Derpy's new voice. Her other voice sounded more boyish. Her new voice is pretty cute. :3

Why would they not call her Derpy? It just sounds weird now. "Now, careful!" but drawn out to cover the space it would take to say the name.

Mixed feelings about the voice. It doesn't sound like Derpy. I agree with DarkAura, the old voice was far too boyish, but this is a little too sane.

I kind of like Derpy's new voice. Her other voice sounded more boyish. Her new voice is pretty cute. :3

Yeah, I like her voice here too. Yeah, the edit job was horrible though.

But one of the animators said that Derpy will appear in the future with her signature expression sometimes, so everypony (not you guys) should just cool their jets.

I just feel really sorry for Hasbro and people because of raging Bronies.

HEY PONIES I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN FOREVER WHATCHA TALKING ABOUT

*reads*
Oh. Um. Well. Derpy is a good name, and I doubt ponies will warm up to her new name for a while. But, if it isn't changed back, they will eventually accept it.

Assuming this is the same principle as revealed Pokèmon names, of course.

So after this episode it seems to me that Fluttershy has a serious problem.
Namely with how easily she goes back into Fluttercruel mode. She doesn't seem to have taken very many lessons from Iron Will (it could have easily been just one), and yet she goes very rapidly from just standing up for herself to basically telling Rarity and Pinkie Pie that their purposes in life are worthless. Which could mean that she has a lot of anger issues bubbling just under the surface, and she's basically a ticking time bomb. The worst part is that this psychotic episode isn't a one-time thing, considering how easily she snapped during the Gala. Luckily she's figured out how to be assertive and not aggressive, which might help to blow off a bit of steam. That doesn't mean it's not scary, though.

But either way I'm glad that the brief break in episodes is over.

Back
Top Bottom