• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Well, as long as it's arbitrary, then it's only as complex as the selection of pronouns, yeah? I agree that it could be confusing but it's kind of the only option. It's not the language's fault. :<

Oh, that's true. You're right, sorry. Maybe you could borrow a word, like Swedish människa or even English person, and allow them to be used with either masculine and feminine pronouns and adjectives (do you have neuter?) -- or come up with a simple declension that allows for reference by both masculine and feminine to act as a gender-neutral grammatical gender? Or something?? I don't know. :/

I... don't see how borrowing a word and allowing it to be used as any gender would help? "Manneskja" being feminine works just fine - the fact it works just fine is why we haven't needed a pronoun like singular they while English had started to desperately need it sometime in the fifteenth century or whenever it was. Just because the word is feminine doesn't mean the person is a woman, and it would never occur to an Icelander to think the two would be connected, so there's no need for another word meaning "person" just for gender-neutral purposes. Besides that if we were to make up a word that can be any gender, all that would do would be to defer the gendering onto whoever talks about the word, who would then have to decide which gender they're going to use (declensions are different depending on gender, so even for words which can be one of two genders, you'd decline it differently depending on which gender you're using, as if they were two different words that just happened to mean the same and look the same in the nominative). And that would be silly because the genders of nouns are arbitrary and don't mean anything anyway so there's no reason to contort the language to create a noun that can be any gender.

The problem is that we don't have a gender-neutral pronoun that could be used directly for a person. Unlike nouns, people's grammatical genders are not arbitrary and do get connected to the gender identity of the people in question, hence why the lack of a gender-neutral personal pronoun makes it hard to deal with people who don't identify as male or female.

I Googled around and discovered some Icelandic non-binary blogger who apparently uses the made-up pronoun "hán" for themself, declining it like a neuter word and using neuter adjective declensions. Still feels awkward and not-person-y, thanks to the neuter association, but I guess it's better than "it".

Last edited:
When I commence my studies of Icelandic, I'll be sure to make my hypothetical teacher address the issue, haha...:)

Dutch has "het", but that sounds like you're going to talk about some cat. The problem is you also use that as an article...

I am very okay with my body! I start to not feel okay when people explicitly gender it - mostly I just try to forget that people do that. That's when I start to feel a little dysphoric and horrible. Would you not feel a lot better too if your body was never gendered? I don't... really want everyone to have the same genitalia, I want your genitalia to be, really, completely irrelevant! I want my body to be seen as the body of a genderqueer person because that is who it belongs to.
That's the impression I often hear, but here's where I guess my understanding diverges: what's wrong with gendering it, exactly? The only thing I can imagine is that you wouldn't want the baggage associated with a particular pronoun, but why should that matter?

There are a lot of binary trans* people, by the way, who are absolutely fine with their bodies already! Some don't want anything to change about it! Some do, not because they feel like their body is wrong, but rather because others' reaction to their body is just unbearable! What do you think about that? What do you think about neutrois people?
Well, yeah, I know that, by virtue of having had to trawl around trans sites for information, and I don't understand it but obviously I'm fine with it because it doesn't really affect me at all. I'll freely say I'm leery of people who say they're 'FtM' while making no effort to look male, then take T, then detransition a little while later, but just because it makes people who know they want T for the rest of their lives have to jump through more hoops. I am personally for the informed consent method since I don't see why having a nosejob can be done on a whim but a gender-related alteration needs a million certificates, but then I see these people who regret transitioning when it was blatantly obvious taking testosterone wasn't going to solve their problems and I wonder whether informed consent really would be the best idea.
But then I remember that it's not my problem at all and if they made a bad decision then that's life.
I don't fully understand the motives of Neutrois people but the only thing I have against them is the name, which just sounds really pretentious because of the gratuitous French. I actually understand wanting to make your body non-sexual more because they're aligning their specific mentality with a physical body, while I don't get genderqueer people at all because I don't understand being fine with your body but not liking people to address you by the pronoun your body shows you to be? I might have to draw a diagram because I'm finding it hard to put it in understandable terms, sorry.

Often, like I've said, I do feel uncomfortable about calling myself 'transgender' because there is internalised cissexism even within this movement. There is a certain privilege, I think, in knowing that while you feel yours isn't the body you want, there is a type of body that is societally recognised as what you should have.
I don't have any problem recognizing that I have privilege because I'm an upper-middle class white person typing this message on a computer in a high-rate university, but honestly I don't think being transsexual grants me privilege compared to a genderqueer person who is comfortable with their body. I'm honestly not trying to attack you because wow this doesn't change either of our lives in the slightest but I'm going to have to shell out thousands of euro to have extremely invasive surgery to remove my uterus to get a piece of paper changed so I can avoid being ridiculed in public, physically attacked or denied all sorts of basic rights and pleasures (like travel). Exteriorising a non-binary identity (such as Neutrois people) makes you run the risk of these problems as well, but if you're XX and look XX you won't have these issues for gender-identity-related reasons (obviously women have these things happen to them for mysoginy-related reasons, but that's another issue)

I want a 'special pronoun' because 'she' is one that female people tend to use! That is used for female characters in fiction! That people see as a 'female' thing! I am not female, I am not a girl, so I have to find another way to define myself.
I reiterate my question at the very top of the post: what exactly is wrong with being thought of as female, though? For instance, I feel uncomfortable being thought of and addressed as female because I am male mentally and am just waiting to be able to change my body to reflect that, so the pronoun is not related to be at all, but what is your issue with it?

Also, I'm sure you know that sex is not as clear-cut as 'male' and 'female' or down to chromosomes. What do you think about that, then, the idea that sex is gendered, that sex is largely socially constructed?
What do you mean with this? I might be grossly misinformed, but as far as I know, you have male, female and intersex. Those are the sexes in their most basic biological form, surely sex can't be socially constructed, seeing as it's a verifiable biological fact. I am male, but unfortunately I will always have XX chromosomes and I will never have the same body as a cisgender man, a fact I find deeply disheartening but something I can't really do much about.
As for specific sexes having to do gendered things, I am of the opinion that any sex should be able to do whatever they feel like without any connotations, i.e. the very idea of men do this and women do this is not logical to me since there is no valid reason why women should enjoy shopping while men should like football or whatever. So in a way I guess I agree that gender as society views it is silly, but then as you noted there are trans people who are non-op, so obviously they identify as one gender while being okay with their birth sex, so I'm not sure how that works.

I think the thing is that for me 'she' is to be used for people who have an XX body and like it or people who have an XY body and don't like it, while 'he' is to be used for people who have an XY body and like it or people who have an XX body and don't like it. Does that make more sense? Obviously I am in the wrong since so many people don't think this way, but I am still trying to understand the reason why... sorry for the wall of text also. I tried to be as coherent as possible but it is really late again so it might be a bit disjointed.

I do just want to say that if someone asks me to use an invented set of pronouns I will because it doesn't affect anyone negatively at all but I'm still trying to get the 'why' of it.

EDIT: also while I don't really understand positions like Neutrois for instance, like I said, I am completely behind the notion that one's body is one's property and should be modified at one's leisure. Again, I don't understand why a cosmetic thing like a facelift or whatever is fine while breast removal is an automatic no with rare exceptions. This gets complicated in cases like the cosmetic amputation of limbs because in theory I am okay with it but in practice it involves possibly getting carers and affects other people's lives, so I'm not behind it. Similarly I've tried to get people to not commit self-harm before but in the end it's their body. It's a toughie.

Last edited:
I... don't see how borrowing a word and allowing it to be used as any gender would help? "Manneskja" being feminine works just fine - the fact it works just fine is why we haven't needed a pronoun like singular they while English had started to desperately need it sometime in the fifteenth century or whenever it was. Just because the word is feminine doesn't mean the person is a woman, and it would never occur to an Icelander to think the two would be connected, so there's no need for another word meaning "person" just for gender-neutral purposes. Besides that if we were to make up a word that can be any gender, all that would do would be to defer the gendering onto whoever talks about the word, who would then have to decide which gender they're going to use (declensions are different depending on gender, so even for words which can be one of two genders, you'd decline it differently depending on which gender you're using, as if they were two different words that just happened to mean the same and look the same in the nominative). And that would be silly because the genders of nouns are arbitrary and don't mean anything anyway so there's no reason to contort the language to create a noun that can be any gender.

The problem is that we don't have a gender-neutral pronoun that could be used directly for a person. Unlike nouns, people's grammatical genders are not arbitrary and do get connected to the gender identity of the people in question, hence why the lack of a gender-neutral personal pronoun makes it hard to deal with people who don't identify as male or female.

Eh, sorry, you're right. I misinterpreted the issue. Carry on.

I see trans* as anyone who isn't cis, yeah, and trans more just the binary transitions or w/e. And genderqueer is two things: one, a large group word for anyone falling between or outside of binary genders, and two, the identity genderqueer, which is ... I guess whatever the person feels it is.

@Polywhatsit - if you met me and told someone 'I met this girl, he's trans, ____' I would smack you in your dang face I ain't a girl.

@VPLJ I feel like bits of my body are just fine. Random bits. They're in there... somewhere. But there are other bits that are just really really female and that's the worst thing. And yet I don't really mind my bits bits that much, most of the time??? Weird. That's my sexy stuff it's not even gendered half the time in my brain.

And I would love it if I didn't have to, like, carry a sign instructing people to call me by the right name and pronouns. Urgh, even my gsa I mean i fuckin /told/ em and i told em to call me matt and they she'd me what the butt. Uh but I mean... my problem is I don't see any possible way to change my body -- through hormones, surgery, even just working out or whatever -- that will make it at all visible as male. Because I'm short, I have an eleven inch difference between my hips and waist, I have a real high pitched voice, i'm skinny in all the wrong places. I'm more at war with the way I know I'm not going to be able to change than with how my body really looks. Sigh.

I just want to be tall and flat and not have ridiculous hips and then wear dresses and be male is that so wrong.

Also, I think Cirrus is trying to say ... exactly what we're saying. I'd be upset if people called me she because I'm not a girl. Cirrus would get upset if people called em she because e's not a girl. Whether or not someone presents one way or another doesn't mean they are one thing or another.

kk slept so I think I can reply calmly+legibly??

By the way, silly question incoming: for people who want some other pronoun to be used, how do you feel about your birth sex? What I mean is: I'm a transsexual man who has no interest in advertising his transsexualism. I view my condition as a birth defect to be corrected post-haste. As such, I don't really understand people who identify as trans instead of as men or women? Does it mean you'd rather we all had the same genitalia? Or does it simply mean you don't want there to be gendered stereotypes?
Because since I view my condition as physical I agree 100% that there shouldn't be gendered stereotypes and that anyone should wear whatever they want without any sort of connotation, but I also have trouble relating to people who are comfortable in their bodies but want some special pronoun? Like. I just hate my body and there isn't a day where I don't wish I was XY, but I see a lot of XX or XY people who want to be called they or ve or something but are a-okay with their body. If your intent is to just abolish gender stereotypes, surely the answer isn't to just identify with some other gender and instead to be proud of the one you have and do whatever you want to show stereotypes are silly?

Does my question make sense? It's hard to phrase and I'm a bit tired, sorry! I'm just really trying to understand being genderqueer and so-on because I honestly don't get it.

I'm rather confused why you're bringing gender stereotypes into this. Let's put that topic aside for now, okay, because it's a different issue, and I'm confused at your bringing it up so if you can clarify it for me, cool, otherwise yeah.

Anyhow...

I'm male. Yes? Because I identify as such. That means my body is male. Regardless of chromosomes, etc., especially since who even sees someone's chromosomes when meeting them?? They don't hang above your head like 'XX' 'XY' for gendering (in)convenience. Chromosomes are just... not.. relevant. My body is male because I am male; all my body parts are male because they belong to a male person.

Take Eddie Izzard's quote, here: "They're not women's clothing. I bought them. They're my clothing."

You're sexing bodies based on socialization of sex. If my body is inherently male, then fuck my sex, man.

This sole fact is enough for many trans* people. They don't experience dysphoria past pronouns or maybe some body parts which they want to change. Since they are already their gender.

Well, yeah, I know that, by virtue of having had to trawl around trans sites for information, and I don't understand it but obviously I'm fine with it because it doesn't really affect me at all. I'll freely say I'm leery of people who say they're 'FtM' while making no effort to look male, then take T, then detransition a little while later, but just because it makes people who know they want T for the rest of their lives have to jump through more hoops. I am personally for the informed consent method since I don't see why having a nosejob can be done on a whim but a gender-related alteration needs a million certificates, but then I see these people who regret transitioning when it was blatantly obvious taking testosterone wasn't going to solve their problems and I wonder whether informed consent really would be the best idea.
But then I remember that it's not my problem at all and if they made a bad decision then that's life.
I don't fully understand the motives of Neutrois people but the only thing I have against them is the name, which just sounds really pretentious because of the gratuitous French. I actually understand wanting to make your body non-sexual more because they're aligning their specific mentality with a physical body, while I don't get genderqueer people at all because I don't understand being fine with your body but not liking people to address you by the pronoun your body shows you to be? I might have to draw a diagram because I'm finding it hard to put it in understandable terms, sorry.

wuuhhh a lot to respond to

Okay. Hopefully I addressed 'looking male' above, but if not - people who do not want to 'look male' believe they already do look male because they are male. People who want to go on T for a lesser period of time do want to change their bodies so I'm not sure where your issue is?? They just don't want all the changes? Also - I'm not sure who you're referring to as regretting going on T, since it's around a 90% success rate and the other percent are generally not upset because of transition but because of oppression it resulted it - so clarify??

And I can assure you these people do not affect your chances of transitioning at all. Seriously.

I don't have any problem recognizing that I have privilege because I'm an upper-middle class white person typing this message on a computer in a high-rate university, but honestly I don't think being transsexual grants me privilege compared to a genderqueer person who is comfortable with their body. I'm honestly not trying to attack you because wow this doesn't change either of our lives in the slightest but I'm going to have to shell out thousands of euro to have extremely invasive surgery to remove my uterus to get a piece of paper changed so I can avoid being ridiculed in public, physically attacked or denied all sorts of basic rights and pleasures (like travel). Exteriorising a non-binary identity (such as Neutrois people) makes you run the risk of these problems as well, but if you're XX and look XX you won't have these issues for gender-identity-related reasons (obviously women have these things happen to them for mysoginy-related reasons, but that's another issue)

Ne, different types of oppression, let's not add oppression olympics into this. Least fun olympics.

What do you mean with this? I might be grossly misinformed, but as far as I know, you have male, female and intersex. Those are the sexes in their most basic biological form, surely sex can't be socially constructed, seeing as it's a verifiable biological fact. I am male, but unfortunately I will always have XX chromosomes and I will never have the same body as a cisgender man, a fact I find deeply disheartening but something I can't really do much about.
As for specific sexes having to do gendered things, I am of the opinion that any sex should be able to do whatever they feel like without any connotations, i.e. the very idea of men do this and women do this is not logical to me since there is no valid reason why women should enjoy shopping while men should like football or whatever. So in a way I guess I agree that gender as society views it is silly, but then as you noted there are trans people who are non-op, so obviously they identify as one gender while being okay with their birth sex, so I'm not sure how that works.

I think the thing is that for me 'she' is to be used for people who have an XX body and like it or people who have an XY body and don't like it, while 'he' is to be used for people who have an XY body and like it or people who have an XX body and don't like it. Does that make more sense? Obviously I am in the wrong since so many people don't think this way, but I am still trying to understand the reason why... sorry for the wall of text also. I tried to be as coherent as possible but it is really late again so it might be a bit disjointed.

I do just want to say that if someone asks me to use an invented set of pronouns I will because it doesn't affect anyone negatively at all but I'm still trying to get the 'why' of it.

Can't address this as well as the videos I linked, so please watch. Also, all pronouns are invented, she/he included, since language itself is invented. You're just more used to them.

What do you mean with this? I might be grossly misinformed, but as far as I know, you have male, female and intersex. Those are the sexes in their most basic biological form, surely sex can't be socially constructed, seeing as it's a verifiable biological fact.

Well. It's complicated. What do you mean by biological form? External sex (based on primary sexual characteristics) can be male, female, or somewhere in between, yes. Genetic sex is a bit more unambiguous. It's not defined in terms of XY and XX, but purely in terms of Y. Having a Y is male, not having a Y is female. This holds in the vast majority of cases. There are very, very rare chromosomal disorders in which an XY individual is externally female or an XX individual is externally male. Most of the time, though, that's because the functional region of the Y (the SRY gene) has been transferred to X, which effectively makes it a functional Y. So you can essentially rephrase by saying "possessing SRY is male, not possessing SRY is female".

The only ambiguity (I think) you can get beyond this is chimerism, in which different cells of the body have different chromosomes. In this case I think I would err on the side of "whichever is expressed in the germ line", but it is not exactly clear cut.

But yes, in general, external sex can be ambiguous, chromosomal sex very, very rarely is. And I don't think the cases where it is ambiguous are particularly useful. Chromosomal sex is not constructed. It is a biological concept which exists independently of human society, so I don't see how it could be. (There is a better case to be made for external sex, I think, and "corrective" surgery on intersex babies at birth is a good example of how that manifests.)

(sorry that not all of these are links I can only multi-quote so many things at once and it's hard to go and grab links!)

Trans* means anyone who is not cis. The point of the * is to be all-inclusive of trans-ness, including non-binaries and everyone.

Genderqueer is a specific identity. It's often used to mean non-binary but it's a misuse; it means someone who is genderqueer and identifies as such. (although you can be gq and non-binary at the same time.) It's like trans male, trans female, agender, etc.; it means not those. Its specific use can be different with each gq person and also each gq person generally has, like, a different use of gender as well, but it generally means - their gender is queer.

o

Trans* was started in the 90s, so it's not that recent. And it was started specifically as a way to include non-binaries. 9_9

Thank you!

So if someone's saying they're genderqueer, would people generally assume the exact meaning of it is personal and not already have a set identity in mind when they see it?

Leafpool said:
Sorry if my responses seem short or not very elaborative or whatnot - I've been suffering from sleep deprivation a lot lately and I'm not in a great mood for responding to things but I figured I might as well to show at least I wasn't ignoring you.

That's okay I wouldn't have figured you were ignoring me anyway lots of people just read and don't have a particular thing to say or get busy! You should sleep more sleep deprivation isn't good :c

Cirrus said:
I'm very sure, though, that mostly when someone uses trans* they mean anyone not-cis, rather than people who are within the binary! I personally feel a liiiiittle uncomfortable using 'trans*' or saying 'trans' and feel super-jumpy about it, because for almost as long as I've known, trans has been something that I'm not, and there's this weird feeling that I shouldn't be using it since I don't even know exactly how I feel (ugh, I hate using that phrase, often people assume I mean "I don't know if I'm not-cis or cis" which is wrong, wrong, wrong) and should just let ~actual~ trans people (people within the binary, I guess??) use it. I've seen 'transguy' and 'transwoman' and all these things that have always been very very much not me, and now it feels weird to suddenly feel like I can use them?? I think it's definitely a new thing for trans* to mean not-cis, presumably because now the queer community is sure that we exist!

Cirrus that's how I felt about it, too, that I'm not a "transguy" or "transgirl" just a something else and worried that people assumed that from "trans*", I guess! I guess they don't if it was specifically created to be inclusive, so I'll try to be less jumpy about that! It's still hard not to be jumpy, though - I guess it just seems like everyone even lots of transgender people refuse to recognize non-binary people!

Also there was a scary article the other day where someone was questioning a transgender person and asked "How can you tell if someone is transgender?" and she was like "oh people will always act like the opposite stereo-types super-super-early on they'll always know right away and everyone around them will always know right away it's super-obvious the most obvious thing never any doubt!" that was a really bad answer :c

Cirrus said:
But there are some people who just identify that way and it's an established thing within the trans* community! :c I don't know anyone personally who does so we should look up some resources, right! It's strange and uncomfortable when a person tries to push 'third gender' on you as if that's the only thing outside the binary you could be, but for some people 'third' is the only thing they can pin down outside that binary and maybe it's the only thing that's ever worked for them!

It doesn't make sense to randomly count genders, but people usually say 'third gender', 'fourth gender, fifth etc. etc. etc.' and I don't think I've ever come across anyone who genuinely thinks there are just three strict concrete genders. (There's also the fact that in some cultures 'third gender' is actually a legal and cultural thing, but.)

Cirrus oh I didn't know about that! :c It seemed really sketchy maybe mean I guess I'll try and not find it that way if that's the only thing that works for some people!!

opaltiger said:
I see how there are much better alternatives (i.e. "non-binary") but why is saying "a third gender" inherently problematic? It's not suggesting that there are only three genders (as "the third gender" would), simply that the person is talking about a gender that isn't in the binary (i.e. a third gender apart from male or female). Which particular gender that is isn't specified.

I thought it seemed problematic because, like! It seems like saying "I get that there are only two genders and that's normal and good but I'm this mysterious alien third gender it's really weird and alien and rare I know but here I am" except not sarcastic-sounding. It sort of sounds like it's making it out to be that a "third gender" is really strange and like since it's counted, there's no room for any other genders, let alone lots and lots and lots! Also I mentioned this before but it sounds like that sci-fi thing where some ~creepy alien race~ is a "third gender" (a third sex) and everyone finds it creepy and weird and then they go home where things are "normal" and silently decide to never think of it again because oh no, how could you ever possibly deal with something or someone being different from you personally, you poor, poor sci-fi characters.

Um does that make sense! I guess if people legitimately use it and it's just what they're comfortable with then I should discard my knee-jerk reaction and try and learn more about that, though!

Also sorry for all the weird sarcasticness it turns out it was tougher to explain than I wanted it to be :c

opaltiger said:
Actually, I have a question. Hiikaru, you said there might be infinitely many genders. I'm wondering, how would two non-binary people realise if they belonged to the same gender, or two different non-binary genders? With male or female, you presumably have an entire cultural institution built up, within which you have been raised, so there is some kind of standard of comparison, whether it's comparative or contrastive. But if you identify as a non-binary gender, how do you go about comparing your experience with other non-binary people? It seems like there would be no reference points.

ETA: Never mind, disregard the second paragraph.

Would it be bad if I still answered even though the disregard!

I don't know that you would be able to decide that you're the same gender! No matter how much depth and detail someone goes into trying to explain their gender, you can't ever really go in their head and see every intricacy of their feelings and compare them with complete accuracy! I'd also tentatively say that I'm not convinced two people who identify as girls or guys or agender could say they're the exact same, either, even though it's considered to be a specific feeling - how can you possibly know for sure?

It's really easy for me to think of hypothetical genders in terms of things like "feels very strongly that they're a girl, but a little genderless, too" or "sort of half a guy and half a girl" or "mostly an 'it' but also sort of like a boy" and then toss in fluidity variation (and fluid could mean "smetimes a girl, sometimes a boy", or "mostly agender sometimes more or less agender sometimes with girlness but only rarely with boyness", or 100% fluid could feel anything any time; there could be tons of different fences or boundaries!) and that seems like it could go into infinite or really close to infinite! And I know people who do define their gender as things like that and as fluid with boundaries (and I do) so it seems silly to just assume there's mysteriously only a few variations of doing that.

Also really I'd be really uncomfortable if someone tried to decide they had the "same" gender as me because it feels really personal to me and I don't know that it's even possible that someone could have the exact same one! Similar, sure! But my exact gender is kind of dependent on being me and having my experiences (probably not everyone feels that theirs is dependent but I kind of do!) so I don't think anyone else could have it!

What does this... mean?? I mean, then, how do you 'present' as not-male or not-female? I thought at first that she was using 'present' to be what they identified as, but this seems a lot more like making guesses based on secondary sex characteristics or binary gender expression. That shouldn't be a 'general rule' at all.

I mostly wear quite femme, flowy, frilly clothes, including the occasional skirt, I tend to walk in a 'feminine' way... those... shouldn't be reasons to decide to use 'she' for me until corrected! (Especially since 95% of the time, I don't correct because scary) Why is this advice?? It's nice that it's about not what you think is a 'real woman' but clearly you're still making a decision by yourself? What is presenting as male or presenting as female if you don't speak to the person?

What's wrong with using 'they' anyway, if you're so concerned with being inclusive? ?_?

Cirrus hm maybe by present she means if they say so or what pronouns others are using?? It's tricky because sometimes people aren't comfortable saying their gender or sometimes others are gendering them wrong or they wear stereo-typical clothes that don't "fit" with the gender they are for one reason or another or :c It's just hard to know for sure for anyone unless you ask because who knows if someone is cisgender or not you can't know!

Leafpool said:
But the question I ask of trans* people here is - in this instance is 'girl' the right word to use? Does it refer to the trans* person's physical appearance as a woman, or ver gender identity? If I met someone who was physically female but used male pronouns, I'd probably preface telling someone about him by using "So I met this guy today. He's a trans man." because if I were to say "So I met this girl today. He's a trans man." whoever I was speaking to would understand the gist of my statement after I finished (you met someone who's physically female but mentally male) but just looking at it/listening to it original it seems absurd to use the pronoun "he" to refer to a "girl". But what kind of noun would you use to refer to someone using ve/ver/vem? I suppose you could substitute it with "person" ("So I met this person today. Ve's transgender, physically female but uses the pronouns ve/ver/vem.") but is that always applicable? Is there another noun that can replace that but get across the impression that this person you met is, in fact, outside of the gender binary? Or is "girl" the correct word because ve's physically female?

"Girl" and "boy" are identity words, so someone can't be them unless they specifically identify that way! Also it'd feel really gross to a lot of people if you said it like that, even if people would "get the gist of what you were saying", you're still calling them something that they've been fighting and fighting against! Also some people are really uncomfortable with the implication that their body is male or female based on their parts, because if they identify as, say, a girl, surely their body is also a girl body, since it belongs to a girl? Then if "male" and "female" are also considered identity words (it'd be easier if they weren't, but it makes sense to also use them as identity words since a really big amount of people are going to think of them as identity words and force you to use them as identity words no matter what you say), then it gets tricky! It's infrequent that anyone desperately needs to know the details of which set of parts a person has, though, so it doesn't really matter that it's tricky! (you might think it would be important sometimes, but it's actually not most of the time)

You can say "assigned sex" or "assigned gender", though! And then you get to avoid the trickness of "person identifies as" which apparently makes lots of people assume you're actually saying "so person cliams eir identity is this but I'm totally on your side in believing there's no such thing as trans* people and that we more intelligent beings magically know everyone's feelings better than they do" and that's really scary and I didn't even realize for a while that that's what people were doing. :(

Butterfree said:
Well, I can't speak for them, but I don't think it has anything to do with intent to do whatever, just with dissonance and discomfort with being referred to by gendered pronouns or viewed as a particular gender.

So being called "she" or whatever would just feel deeply wrong, not like it really means you. I understand a facet of this in that I really dislike people on the Internet thinking of me as a guy, for several reasons (like that it irritates me so many people assume people on the Internet are men by default) but mostly just because I'm not a guy. And that feeling doesn't involve my body specifically - I'm not mad they think I have a penis, just that, in general, it feels like they're making all sorts of assumptions about me and they're wrong. (Of course people make wrong assumptions about women too, but perhaps just because I've thought of myself as a woman all my life, I'm accustomed to assuming those are the assumptions people make about me, whereas finding people are making this whole other set of assumptions feels weird and wrong. It doesn't mean the assumptions about women are correct, or that I don't wish to fight tooth and claw until there are no assumptions, just that those are the assumptions that I'm... prepared for, I guess? I like subverting expectations about what women are supposed to be like, but if people aren't thinking of me as a woman, what I'm doing means something completely different to them than it's supposed to mean.)

In my case it only happens with people who've never met me and it's easy to correct them, so that feeling is more slight annoyance than anything else. But for people who experience that kind of thing all the time in real life, especially if neither of the commonly assumed genders in our culture feels "right", I imagine it would grow to be pretty maddening. And thus, wanting different pronouns that do feel "right", regardless of how they feel about their bodies in particular.

Butterfree that's a lot like how I feel about it! People aren't thinking of me as a person when they misgender me, they're thinking of someone else that they made up and just assuming that I'll be like x and y! At best if I do the opposite of x and y or don't do x and y they'll go "oh, well, I guess not everyone is like that..." and go on assuming it for other people and struggle with not assuming it for me because apparently it's horribly horribly difficult not to assume that every single person who looks like this will act like that. And then there will always be tons of people who think that me not doing x and y properly is just a lie and that I still secretly do that and think that. And it colours everything that they see and think about me and it's the worst thing!

I like having my special different pronouns (that people will insist on calling me "special snowflake" for because they're mean) because if someone calls me those, there simply don't exist any colours to go along with it, so no one can randomly colour me with their years and years of collected stereo-types and meannesses! I guess some whenever they see it will think "super-weird person who's just doing it to get attention and be a ~special snowflake~" but that's just sort of being a jerk, not being completely disgusting and dysphoric and wrong. Having my own pronouns is so freeing in comparison! It just means me.

Vladimir Putin's LJ said:
By the way, silly question incoming: for people who want some other pronoun to be used, how do you feel about your birth sex? What I mean is: I'm a transsexual man who has no interest in advertising his transsexualism. I view my condition as a birth defect to be corrected post-haste. As such, I don't really understand people who identify as trans instead of as men or women? Does it mean you'd rather we all had the same genitalia? Or does it simply mean you don't want there to be gendered stereotypes?

Because since I view my condition as physical I agree 100% that there shouldn't be gendered stereotypes and that anyone should wear whatever they want without any sort of connotation, but I also have trouble relating to people who are comfortable in their bodies but want some special pronoun? Like. I just hate my body and there isn't a day where I don't wish I was XY, but I see a lot of XX or XY people who want to be called they or ve or something but are a-okay with their body. If your intent is to just abolish gender stereotypes, surely the answer isn't to just identify with some other gender and instead to be proud of the one you have and do whatever you want to show stereotypes are silly?

I use an alternate pronoun set and feel okay about my birth sex! My body isn't disgusting - I feel a lot more comfortable in it than I used to getting to be in safe spaces and around people who will treat me like a regular person and not be weird and constantly backpedaling from their weird stereo-typed assumptions! I feel dysphoric when people make up my gender because it's wrong, not because I'm in the wrong body! Although when people treat me differently based on what my body looks like then I feel dysphoric about that, too, but it's not a permanent inherent dysphoria, it's more like...
wishing it would be different so that people would leave me alone? And associating the grossness of people being mean and misgendering me with my body and wanting to just be away from it for a while. But I can't! If no one ever misgendered me or randomly decided who I was based on what I look like, I'd be fine with being like this!

Like Cirrus, I don't really understand the rest of the questions, though - why on earth would I want to force everyone to have the same body parts just because I'm okay with my body? If you could magically get the parts you wanted and then you'd be comfortable in your body, would you suddenly start wanting everyone to have the same parts? ?_? I can't find how you're making an association there. I have brown hair and I'm okay with having brown hair, but it doesn't mean I think everyone needs brown hair? It's the same thing - it's not a huge deal to me which sex I am (well, it matters to me some, but it's not like vitally important to my identity or anything) and I'd like it to be as arbitrary to everyone else as my hair colour is! That doesn't mean wishing for sameness - why would it mean that?

Stereo-types could just vanish one day and my gender wouldn't morph into something else just because they were gone - it's not about stereo-types! I just have a random feeling of being this gender! It's gross when people misgender me - isn't it gross when people misgender you? Wouldn't it still be gross even if stereo-types went away? I can be called other pronouns too and be okay with those if people aren't being horrible and assuming weird things, but I'll always feel strange being called them and they'll never be correct.

And I'm baffled by the idea that I'm choosing to have gendered feelings just because of stereo-types, too. What? I didn't get up one day and go "wow, stereo-types are really mean. I bet if I just start hurting whenever I'm called a guy or a girl and decide to feel like a different gender, the stereo-types will go away!" That's nonsensical. Also, sometimes I wish I was a guy or a girl just so I could say "look, I'm $gender, and I don't do that. How can you say that everyone who belongs to $gender does that?", but I'm not, so I have to fight it other ways. I didn't decide! Why would I? You didn't decide to feel like your chromosomes are wrong! What's different about it? It's just a feeling of wrongness for a thing that you can't control having.

I'm not ashamed of my gender or sex, they're just the way they are - why do I have to suddenly try and force myself to have different feelings...? I can't do it, I tried. It would be easier that way! But it's just not that way so too bad.

That's the impression I often hear, but here's where I guess my understanding diverges: what's wrong with gendering it, exactly? The only thing I can imagine is that you wouldn't want the baggage associated with a particular pronoun, but why should that matter?

How would it not matter to have all that "baggage"? It feels disgusting that it's there. It's not fair that people look at someone's body and instantly decide "oh, well they have $parts, so they must like this, and that, and do this when they get hurt, and they'd act like this if I did this particular thing, and they probably go to this and this activity unless they don't have the money because $gender people just plain enjoy those activities, and they probably are incapable of doing this or would find it really hard, and this is probably their favourite colour, and they definitely think this and that and if they say they don't they're lying because how could you possibly have $parts and not think that even though it doesn't make the tiniest bit of sense that parts would absolutely have to infect all of your thoughts and feelings and that no one in the whole world could ever have a different feeling ever because every single person is precisely the same we're robots" and if you ever do anything a hair out of place they'll be the absolute worst to you and hurt you and assume you're lying and being secretive for stupid reasons - you don't think that that matters? Of course people don't want that! Even cisgender people don't want that thrust upon them, so why would someone outside of the binary mysteriously want that when they don't even identify as the gender that people are grabbing the horrible things from so they can't even say "well I'm $gender and I don't" without making themselves dysphoric because no, they're not whatever gender? Do you want people doing that to you? Why?

I'll freely say I'm leery of people who say they're 'FtM' while making no effort to look male, then take T, then detransition a little while later, but just because it makes people who know they want T for the rest of their lives have to jump through more hoops.

It is really really sad and terrible that people who are 100% sure have to jump through all those hoops just because "oh well what if they're not sure after all and regret it!" But you can't blame people for being unsure, either! They can't help that! It's great for you that you're 100% sure, but feelings are mysterious and fluid and not everyone can instantly read every feeling accurately for everything - especially when it's something that people try so hard to pretend doesn't exist. It seems really strange to me that people even can be 100% sure really quickly, but I guess it just happens! I thought a few years ago that maybe I was the "opposite" and that I'd want to do transitioning things, but it took me a while to realize that I didn't have to fit into everyone else's boxes and that dysphoria didn't mean "opposite" just meant not this, and that I felt dysphoric for being thought of as either a boy or as a girl, not just as one of them! And, well, of course I didn't get that immediately - how could I have known with everyone being taught every second of their lives that there are two genders and that if you don't conform you're a horrible disgusting demon and you should die? How?

Also, I'm not convinced that unsure people get surgery and hormones because that would be way too terrifying if you weren't completely sure that that was what you wanted. Maybe hormones because they figure they can just stop taking the hormones and/or take different hormones if they don't like it? But that's a super-complicated scary process to go through if you're not even sure! :c

while I don't get genderqueer people at all because I don't understand being fine with your body but not liking people to address you by the pronoun your body shows you to be? I might have to draw a diagram because I'm finding it hard to put it in understandable terms, sorry.

Being fine with my body doesn't mean I have to identify as whatever people want me to identify as! Why does my body have to be a huge part of my identity? Back to hair, I have brown hair but I don't identify as a brown-haired person. No one even cares what colour of hair I have, no one would expect me to have to identify as a brown-haired person because what even is a hair identity. I don't have an identity based on my hair, or on how many fingers I have, or on what size shoes I have to wear, or on having glasses, so why do I have to have an identity based on what type of body parts I happen to have? And you're allowed to have other feelings that aren't related to your body, like you could identify as a feminist, or as a gamer, or as an artist, and you'd never say "Um, why are you identifying as an artist if you're comfortable with your body? ?_?" or "Why do you experience happiness if you're comfortable with your body?????" because that makes no sense at all. So there are feelings you can have that people don't consider body-dependent. So why does a feeling of not liking the pronouns people call them have to be body-dependent! It's a feeling of not liking a thing that happens. You don't have to like everything that happens. You don't have to like if you fall on a rock just because it happened. So why is this a thing that you've decided people have to like? It's really really hard to understand why you think that makes sense, sorry! :c

That's not what Cirrus is saying! It's definitely sad and hard to be transgender and transitioning is really really scary and hard that you have to do it! So if a non-binary person doesn't want to transition that's maybe a privilege over you! But people who don't identify as a boy or a girl have some different bad things for them that you won't have to deal with, ever, too! It's not a contest ot trying to erase your struggles, it's just a thing!

I think the thing is that for me 'she' is to be used for people who have an XX body and like it or people who have an XY body and don't like it, while 'he' is to be used for people who have an XY body and like it or people who have an XX body and don't like it.

It seems instead like "she" is for people who identify as a girl and are comfortable with being called a girl and thought of as a girl, and "he" is for people who identify as a guy and are comfortable with being called a guy and thought of as a guy! (also, maybe there are people like that who still don't want "he" and "she"? Who knows.) Otherwise you have people who are okay in their body but extremely uncomfortable with the assigned pronouns, and people who are not comfortable at all in their body and also uncomfortable with "he" and "she"! Whether anyone likes it or not "he" and "she" have very specific meanings and it's okay if people feel that those very specific meanings don't apply to them! I'm not a girl or a guy, so why should I be at ease with pronouns that specifically say to me "you are a girl" or "you are a guy"? I'm not!

If pronouns were strictly grammatical and meant just "this person was born with these chromosomes" then maybe I'd feel differently? But they don't mean that and I can't force them to mean that. So I'm really a lot more comfortable with other sets of pronouns that don't carry the meaning that I identify as something I don't identify as!

That's okay I wouldn't have figured you were ignoring me anyway lots of people just read and don't have a particular thing to say or get busy! You should sleep more sleep deprivation isn't good :c

IF I COULD I WOULD i get up at 5:30 am though and have issues getting to sleep most nights ; ; and even then on weekends my body's like "haha screw you you're getting up before 7." so i never get a good sleep and yeah

"Girl" and "boy" are identity words, so someone can't be them unless they specifically identify that way!

the thing is i have heard some people talking about which sex-related nouns are identity and which refer to physical appearance and I wasn't sure if mentioning physical appearance would be appropriate or if girl/boy counted as identity or physical words.

Also it'd feel really gross to a lot of people if you said it like that, even if people would "get the gist of what you were saying", you're still calling them something that they've been fighting and fighting against! Also some people are really uncomfortable with the implication that their body is male or female based on their parts, because if they identify as, say, a girl, surely their body is also a girl body, since it belongs to a girl?

thaaaat makes total sense. i mean yeah it's been pointed out before but i guess seeing as how i'm not trans and i've only been involved in this here debate /recently/ i'm having trouble seeing how someone with a penis can still be considered to have a girl's body if they're trans??? i guess you could call it ignorance or naivete on my part but honestly i haven't had much exposure to such detailed discussion of this before - that's why i'm asking questions like this so i can get a better idea of what and what not to say, y'know?

It's infrequent that anyone desperately needs to know the details of which set of parts a person has, though, so it doesn't really matter that it's tricky! (you might think it would be important sometimes, but it's actually not most of the time)

... you know that's a fair point that i didn't really think of.

And then you get to avoid the trickness of "person identifies as" which apparently makes lots of people assume you're actually saying "so person cliams eir identity is this but I'm totally on your side in believing there's no such thing as trans* people and that we more intelligent beings magically know everyone's feelings better than they do" and that's really scary and I didn't even realize for a while that that's what people were doing. :(

what the fuck people actually think like that?? okay even if i have naivete on the subject at least i don't think like that o.o

Hate to double post but I have a question/food for thought that people might not have seen had I edited

There was a debate going on on another forum I'm part of about abortion. It was going on as normal abortion-related debates do, when suddenly someone stepped in and said, "Can we please not use 'woman' and 'mother' to refer to that person that can has a uterus and can undergo abortion? I'm a guy and I have a uterus. One of my friends is a girl and she doesn't have a uterus. Using 'woman' and 'mother' excludes trans people like me who may actually want to have kids but are not women!"

Seeing as how this is actually the first trans person that we know of on that forum (there aren't fields for gender pronouns, so people learn one another's gender through talking to them and getting corrected if they use the wrong pronoun), and seeing as how a lot of members were unfamiliar with the concept or trans*, a couple of the members started asking legitimate curiosity questions of the guy about trans* people and the nature of pronouns and things along those lines in an attempt to educate themselves. (One even said "Sorry about all these questions, but five minutes ago I wasn't exactly aware of this concept, so...") I skimmed most of the discussion - it was long and I was more interested in the abortion debate - but I did get one thing out of it: someone asking "so if 'woman' and 'mother' can't be used for someone who can get an abortion in this case, what to use instead? 'Uterus-bearer'?" The trans guy said yes, uterus-bearer works. Out of respect I used the term in my next post on the abortion subject.

But my question is - is it necessary to do that in all cases where we are referring to physical sex over gender identity? In the debate of abortion, whether or not the uterus-bearer is male, female, or something is not exactly relevant; is using 'woman' proper for sake of understanding the physical sex or should something like 'uterus-bearer' be used instead?

I thought that when you say female you are refering to the biological sex? I don't really understand why it came up when people were discussing things that have to do with the biological sex, but that is probaly my cis privalege talking.

But my question is - is it necessary to do that in all cases where we are referring to physical sex over gender identity? In the debate of abortion, whether or not the uterus-bearer is male, female, or something is not exactly relevant; is using 'woman' proper for sake of understanding the physical sex or should something like 'uterus-bearer' be used instead?
well when it's stuff like abortion, then yeah using things like "people with uteruses" makes sense

if it's other things though i think FAAB and MAAB are used? female assigned at birth and male assigned at birth

Uhm you can really just say person. I agree with ... that uterus-bearer is sort of wtf. But person works just fine...?

yay bump after a month or something but something happened this morning which i think is relevant

so I was filling out forms for my AP testing in a week and they ask you all these questions about yourself like name (obv), address, date of birth, etc and two of the wordings of the questions really bothered me.

the first was asking about the education levels of your parents and had bubbles to fill in for each of your parents. It was worded as "Mother/Female Guardian" and "Father/Male Guardian". I got rather bugged about the lack of understanding of what if someone has a gay couple for parents or some other situation wherein there are two guardians but they cannot be considered to fall under the lines "female" and "male." Being though that I have a mother and a father there wasn't really a reason for me to dwell on the subject, though I did complain about it a few hours later to my friends.

The second thing that bugged me I didn't really have a reason to dwell on either since it didn't affect me personally but it bugged me nonetheless! The question was "Sex: Female/Male" and my thoughts on this were "Okay. Sex and gender are two different things. While asking about sex and offering only the options female and male is passable, are the people who read these exams honestly going to have a reason to care whether or not the person taking the exam has a penis or a vagina? I would expect that if they have any reason to be asking the question of that it would be, instead, to ask about the gender, because I would think that's slightly more relevant than the physical traits of the person taking the exam. Even if they were stupid and assumed that everyone was cisgender, or got the technical meanings of the two words confused - there's no options except female and male. Everyone's female or male. There's no room for anything else.

Seriously?"

What I want to know is, why does an AP testing establishment want to know your sex or gender in the first place? Why is it anybody's business? Are there segregated exams? Will they do a thing like my year 8 geography teacher who made everybody in the class sit boy-girl because he thought it'd make people talk less?

The second thing that bugged me I didn't really have a reason to dwell on either since it didn't affect me personally but it bugged me nonetheless! The question was "Sex: Female/Male" and my thoughts on this were "Okay. Sex and gender are two different things. While asking about sex and offering only the options female and male is passable, are the people who read these exams honestly going to have a reason to care whether or not the person taking the exam has a penis or a vagina? I would expect that if they have any reason to be asking the question of that it would be, instead, to ask about the gender, because I would think that's slightly more relevant than the physical traits of the person taking the exam.
they probably only care because of statistics. like if boys or girls do better in certain exams which is bollocks imo anyway but yeah it's possible.

Even if they were stupid and assumed that everyone was cisgender, or got the technical meanings of the two words confused - there's no options except female and male. Everyone's female or male. There's no room for anything else.
well
the vast vast majority of people ARE male or female. how many intersex or genderqueer people do you even know (outside the internet)? and wouldn't a lot of intersex people identify themselves as one of the two anyway?

and since it's high school exams
does it really matter

Back
Top Bottom