• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Rate The Song Above!

Fireworks

Remembered the Rate The Band Above thread from the "old" forums and had the idea of posting this.

This stuff is pretty obvious, but posting it anyway: you should post a comment (doesn't have to be long) about the song above, with a score out of 10 being optional. Then post your own song with a youtube link to it (the video doesn't have to be the song's music video if it has any, since after all not the video will be rated but just the song), and possibly also post what genre it is and any comments you'd like to add to the song you've posted.

I'll start:

Amorphis - House Of Sleep

Quite heavy but very melodic song with not too harsh vocals at all and a really catchy chorus. Genre is a bit hard to define, probably falls somewhere between progressive metal and melodic death metal. Most of the Eclipse album is good, but this is arguably the best song on it.

It was listenable I guess but it kind of sounded... uh, I dunno how to describe it... it was kind of mediocre and cheesy, like a pop-punk band playing metal. It was fine, but I'm not going to seek out stuff by this band again...

Brother Sport - Animal Collective

this is like my favorite song right now

EDIT: UGGGHG CRAP NINJA'D which is the problem with this thread

okay I listened to your song Grimdour and it's pretty good but the... uh, once again, I suck at describing things, the consistent pounding of the drums and guitar got old after a while. And I really don't see what you mean by "best outro ever"... Though I think I have heard songs by Iced Earth that I like, so, you know.

Last edited:
That was really strange, considering I've never heard anything like it before. Sounds like mixing Bob Marley with some celtic synth stuff we have, I don't know what else to say.

I counterattack with epic.

As one mostly unfamiliar with the genre, I have to say I really, really liked this song. Nice melody and very nice vocals. Definitely something I could get into.

And now for something...completely different. And considerably more mainstream.

Roundabout - Yes

Man, I love this song. Absolutely astounding bass work, a nice dose of funk as well as prog. goodness, and the BEST INTRO EVER. This band has crazy amounts of talent.

Decent. A little tedious to listen to in parts, and I don't think I'd go out of my way to listen to it, but parts of it were really well done. (Especially that bassline... whoa!)

Lyriel - My Favourite Dream
Medieval-inspired folk rock :3

It was a pretty cool song, both the growlings and the female vocals were great.

And this reminds me, I should probably check out those two Draconian albums which I have got for quite a couple of months now waiting in the pile of albums that I have yet to find time for to listen to, those two Draconian albums being Arcane Rain Fell and Turning Season Within.

Porcupine Tree - Lazarus

Very melodic and therefore a very accessible song. Most regulars in this subforum should've probably heard it already though, along with a lot of other stuff from PT, but eh. Wanted to post a Blackfield (side-project of PT frontman) song but those were difficult to find a good quality version of on youtube, highly recommending anything from Blackfield though for those who liked Lazarus.

enter boring "pop song" i suppose the girl vocals are angelic or something. no memorable hook either. (in response to Zeta because I ignore three songs in one post as we're supposed to post only one)

Opeth - Bleak

I love Opeth and this is their most exemplary song in my opinion. Goes from loud death metal to quiet acoustic bits. Features both ridiculously awesome growls and soft angelic vocals (and Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree contributes vocals as well). Amazingly eerie lyrics too.

Slight twist, shivering corpse
Ornated with water, fills the cracks
Clasped in my limbs by tradition
This is all you need

enter boring "pop song" i suppose the girl vocals are angelic or something. no memorable hook either. (in response to Zeta because I ignore three songs in one post as we're supposed to post only one)
had a feeling you would say that :P

Honestly, Altmer, I wouldn't post 10-minute songs in this thread, some people just might not feel like sitting through that. But fortunately, I've heard that song before, and I like it. So... yeah.

The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us - Sufjan Stevens

Hmmm.... tough!

http://www.devilspaintbrush.com/media/Drowning Pool - Bodies.mp3

Lyrics
Let the bodies hit the floor

Beaten, why for (why for)
Can't take much more
Here we go here we go here we go, now

One, nothing wrong with me
Two, nothing wrong with me
Three, nothing wrong with me
Four, nothing wrong with me

One ,something's got to give
Two, something's got to give
Three, something's got to give

Now!

Push me again (again)
This is the end
Here we go here we go here we go, now

Skin against skin, blood and bone
You're all by yourself but you're not alone
You wanted in and now you're here
Driven by hate, consumed by fear

Hey...Go!
Hey...Go!
Hey...Go!
Hey...Go!
Hey...Go!

Last edited:
I've heard this song countless times before (the lyrics were extremely unnecessary) so I don't have to listen to it again.

I'm not going to say anything about the song writing in terms of lyrics (because I'd probably end up being a hypocrite), but I have to say that the guitar is... decent, I suppose. Not something I'd really go out of my way to listen to. The drums are extremely boring, and I really don't like the vocals. It's an overrated song, in my opinion. But whatever.

Here's mine.
Don't mind me, I'm just playing bagpipes with a fucking gazelle skull on it or some shit.
(ignore the fact that they're on Nuclear Blast)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom