• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Wii update 4.2 reportedly bricking consoles

I am a little confused as to why you replied to me out of order, but okay.

- Excuse me, what? At no point did you state that your intent was for me to correct my original post. It looks more to me like you yourself were trying to invoke an argument like this. You're the one who came into this hostile, not me; and did you expect me to say "Oh" and roll over on my back for you now that we're here?

The implication in my first post was that perhaps this could be corrected. I could have been more explicit, yes; my apologies.

I would like to know where I am being hostile. All I am doing is trying to point out an inconsistency in your original post which you refuse to acknowledge. I was only trying to invoke an argument in the sense that I was trying to talk about this issue.

ETA: I expected you to be rational and correct a small error.

Case and point, you're trying to dangle the proverbial carrot.

Yes, but only because I wanted to make a point.

I didn't quote the content of either, I'm referring to the fact that "Death panels" were a blatant fabrication by a desperate party. Are you -actually- keeping track of what's going on in US politics? There's a reason the place is so fucked. Comparing that is like comparing Hitler to "You Must Be This Tall To Ride" signs at amusement parks.

Death panels were a blatant fabrication by a desperate party perpetuated by misrepresentation of data. That was my point. As to my following US politics, I am willing to bet I am a lot more informed than you are. Who do you think will win the NJ and VA governor races?

You are once again obfuscating my point by referring to the content. Whether the matter is the existence of death panels or the policies of Nintendo is irrelevant. The misrepresentation in the case of death panels is analogous to the misrepresentation of Nintendo as more "villainous" than they actually are in your post. Yes, the topics are nowhere near the same level of importance, but that doesn't matter.

When I preface my comments with an article of base material do you not think it would make sense to expect one to look it over?

Of course it would. Unfortunately people rarely make sense. I said previously that I could easily see someone ignoring the article and reading instead your comments (which, by saying "Let's look at what's wrong with this picture", do imply that you will summarise the situation).

I had never claimed that my summary -didn't-. I'm an independent representation and I thought for that matter that the first thing I said would indicate that. And I've already explained how they relate to you, too.

Of course you are independent, but it is still your responsibility to make sure your interpretation of the article matches the facts contained therein.

And this is because homebrew users wouldn't. It's common practice; don't update. The ones affected ARE those who are updating, whom feel they have nothing to worry about - and rightfully so they shouldn't.

Of course I understand this. I never contradicted you on this point; only on the point that your statement (not necessarily your intent) implied that all non-homebrew users would be affected and would have to pay.

And perhaps this is because I prefaced with the article. Your entire argument is coming from me acting like an official source. No, I cited one, and I thought that would be clear as day but apparently not.

You have entirely misunderstood me. My entire argument is about you misrepresenting an official source. All it takes is one error in transmitting information for it to be corrupted, after all.

Non homebrew-users are the minority here most likely to be affected, and since a majority of Wii owners ARE out of warranty from the major rush of them this can account for a very large number of people of this group. I didn't claim that they're equal at any time.

I understand. Once again, I must point out that I never contradicted you on this point: what I am saying is that the way you presented the facts ("non-homebrew users will have to pay for repairs") is not the way the article presented the facts ("people whose warranty has run out will have to pay for repairs"). Thus, assuming that your statement is accurate, these two groups must be the same! I am sure there is a lot of overlap, yes, but your statement suggests that non-homebrew users whose consoles are still covered by warranty will have to pay as well. This is not true.

I gave the source article, I gave my commentary, and you felt it appropriate to pick it apart. Once again you didn't state your intentions. And you're trying to make a case out of "If the article weren't there" which is simply irrelevant.

I felt it appropriate to pick apart because your commentary misrepresented the article, and I wanted to prevent the spread of false information. This is the entire point of what I am saying. I should think that was obvious.

And no, it isn't irrelevant. You shouldn't assume that your target audience will read the article; as I've said multiple times, the idea of people skipping the article to read your commentary (from which they can determine the content of the article) is feasible. In this eventuality, you must consider what your commentary sounds like without the context of the article, and in this case, your commentary states that non-homebrew users will have to pay for repairs, period.

Additionally, you have to be prepared for people who are left with your commentary in their memory and not the original article, and who will thus spread the misinformation; or people who will copy your commentary, either verbally or in writing, without the article. Both of these cases are not unlikely.

Last edited:
Pretentious is the word you're looking for, and it certainly is! But that doesn't invalidate the fact that what I am talking about is a relevant and serious issue.

I replied out of order because the last thing you said caught my attention first. Regardless there really isn't a reason to continue this all, anyway. :/ I didn't interpret your initial statement that way and I'm somewhat used to being approached hostilely, so I apologise there. I edited what I wrote in my first post.

However.. if I may dwell for a moment, the Death Panels were brought up by a veritable Snow Witch with no aversion to flat out smear-lying, there was no basis behind it. At least from what I've seen. I'm not insulting your knowledge of US politics but I don't think that issue has any.. relevance. At all.. it was a ridiculous sham.
Also; Corzine for NJ. I'm not really in-the-know for VA. Albeit once again the smears are ridiculous.
Course.. this is all off topic so.. sorry for that trail off.

I feel like I should post this to give people an update on the situation:

Nintendo Tech Support Forums said:
Hello,

Some of you have reported problems with your Wii console after updating to the Wii System Menu 4.2. The symptoms most people are describing usually occur when the Wii has been modified. However, some of you also mention your system has never been modified.

We'd like to help get your system working properly again. If you're experiencing problems with your Wii console after downloading Wii System Menu 4.2, and you believe your system has not been modified, please give us a call. If we find that you have a normal system and the update caused your system to not work, we'll repair it at no charge.

Please call our Customer Service Department at your earliest convenience, 1-800-255-3700. We are open 6 AM to 7 PM, Pacific Time, 7 days a week.

Thank you,
NOA_Tech_Jane

Original post here.

What I'm getting from this is that they *will* repair out-of-warranty systems for free as long as no homebrews/hacks/pirated games/other "illegal" things are found. Don't take my word for it, though; go browse around the forums yourself or give them a call first if the update does brick your Wii.

I personally haven't updated yet, but then I haven't been in a particularly Wii-ish mood for a little while and it'll probably be December, when school and NaNo are over, before I feel like I even have a reason to turn the thing on again. They'll probably have fixed the update by that point anyway. :B

This kind of thing can only happen here.

On topic: I've heard about this, but I didn't know that it could affect people without Homebrew. I'll be sure not to update.

I replied out of order because the last thing you said caught my attention first. Regardless there really isn't a reason to continue this all, anyway. :/ I didn't interpret your initial statement that way and I'm somewhat used to being approached hostilely, so I apologise there. I edited what I wrote in my first post.

Hey, no problem. I could have been more explicitly clear about what I was talking about at the beginning, too.

However.. if I may dwell for a moment, the Death Panels were brought up by a veritable Snow Witch with no aversion to flat out smear-lying, there was no basis behind it. At least from what I've seen. I'm not insulting your knowledge of US politics but I don't think that issue has any.. relevance. At all.. it was a ridiculous sham.

Yeah, it was ridiculous, I know, but I was talking about how quickly the issue spread because people believed this completely inaccurate (one might even say fabricated!) interpretation of the health care bill.

Also; Corzine for NJ. I'm not really in-the-know for VA. Albeit once again the smears are ridiculous.

Deeds is my choice in VA, because his opponent wrote a master's thesis detailing how degenerate homosexuals were. I like Corzine, too, mostly because he has said he is more or less waiting for the state legislature to pass a samesex marriage law so he can sign it already.

well good thing, because i got the message from nintendo about this update on my wii, but i deleted/refused it. mainly because i have a crapload of homebrew anyways. but seriously, that is a lame thing of them to do. release a shitty update and then not cover for their mistake. i feel bad for people. :/

i don't think i've even turned on my Wii in at least three months, let alone connected it to the internet or install homebrew. at a guess, 60-80% of the time i've spent gaming has been on my DS, and a good 50% of that was using illegal ROMs. lolfail, Ninty.

In fact, Nintendo's own business plan with the console has changed their audience to a crowd that largely WON'T Homebrew. The adults, "little sisters", and elderly crowd. In addition to not Homebrewing, they're being expected to remedy the problem with their time and money - and unlike the avid gamers, probably aren't in such a rush to have it back up and running. In fact most will probably turn it into a dust shelf for lack of functionality.
to be fair, a good deal of the "casual" community probably doesn't know or can't be bothered to connect their Wii to the internet anyway. so they probably never got this update in the first place.

Well, crap. I didn't think this'd be a problem until I went to access the Wii Shop Channel. Turns out I need the update to check it out now, which means risking getting my console trashed.

Now, a couple questions. One, is it bricking ALL consoles with Homebrew, or just some? And will it affect those that have Homebrewed things without actually having Homebrew? Hoping someone'll know one or both of these things.

I'm asking because I have some Homebrewed items on Animal Crossing City Folk that were given to me from others before I even knew Homebrew existed. I have never had Homebrew on my console, though. I'd really like to know because I was planning on buying Super Mario World and SMB: The Lost Levels.

My lurking tells me that there are homebrew consoles that have not been bricked by the update; I haven't heard anything about things like homebrew Animal Crossing material, though, so I don't know whether that would be affected. Considering it isn't *supposed* to brick even homebrew consoles you should be okay, but as it's not doing what it's *supposed* to I would be careful all the same.

Well, crap. I didn't think this'd be a problem until I went to access the Wii Shop Channel. Turns out I need the update to check it out now, which means risking getting my console trashed.

Now, a couple questions. One, is it bricking ALL consoles with Homebrew, or just some? And will it affect those that have Homebrewed things without actually having Homebrew? Hoping someone'll know one or both of these things.

I'm asking because I have some Homebrewed items on Animal Crossing City Folk that were given to me from others before I even knew Homebrew existed. I have never had Homebrew on my console, though. I'd really like to know because I was planning on buying Super Mario World and SMB: The Lost Levels.

My lurking tells me that there are homebrew consoles that have not been bricked by the update; I haven't heard anything about things like homebrew Animal Crossing material, though, so I don't know whether that would be affected. Considering it isn't *supposed* to brick even homebrew consoles you should be okay, but as it's not doing what it's *supposed* to I would be careful all the same.

It's not just consoles with Homebrew getting bricked by the update. All the update does is remove the Homebrew channel if it's on there.

It's not just consoles with Homebrew getting bricked by the update. All the update does is remove the Homebrew channel if it's on there.

So it wouldn't have done anything to my Animal Crossing data or the things on it that were gotten by other people with Homebrew?

I deleted my AC save data before updating just to be on the safe side, which seems even more stupid now than it did before. Nothing happened except I'll now need to restart AC:CF (which, honestly, isn't that big a deal).

Back
Top Bottom