• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Stuff You Love

Blastoise Fortooate

Geographical!
Anyone got any shows, books, movies, animated shorts, etc etc. that make them just stop and say 'wow'? Do you have a piece of entertainment that you'd like to sing the praises of from a rooftop, or pass out fliers about to the general populace from astride a blimp made of even more fliers? If so, post about them here.

First and foremost, The Secret of Kells is an absolutely breathtaking piece of animation. Based on Irish folklore and done in a flat, medieval style that I can't stop staring at, the movie is my favorite Christmas gift from last year. And the music; go ahead, watch the only musical sequence in the movie and try not to smile.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. Hopefully people will discover some good stuff here, and we can all kind of roll around in the general awesomeness. (ihope)

MS Paint Adventures is awesome and you should read it. Hayao Miyazaki stuff, though I haven't seen much of it, is pretty amazing. Um...yeah, MS Paint Adventures is the main thing I'd have to say for now. It's quite well-written, with a good mixture of comedy and serious plot stuff.

EDIT: And Lackadaisy is fantastic too, if not frequently updated.

Last edited:
Doctor Who obviouisly.I am currently GMing a Doctor Who roleplaying game, in which my players are running from the Weeping Angels.

On the topic of RPG's I also love Dungeons and Dragons... currently working on two characters a Paladin with a chip on her shoulder (and a hippogriff), and a fighter who is a bit too longsword happy.

MS Paint Adventures is awesome and you should read it. Hayao Miyazaki stuff, though I haven't seen much of it, is pretty amazing. Um...yeah, MS Paint Adventures is the main thing I'd have to say for now. It's quite well-written, with a good mixture of comedy and serious plot stuff.
Seconding these, though I haven't seen much of Hayao Miyazaki's works either, Spirited Away is fantastic though! I want to see Ponyo and Howl's Moving Castle, but I've never gotten around to it.

For those who like the teen fiction on werewolves, Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a pretty good read. It stays far away from the common cliches that have recently surfaced in teen fiction (such as 'hot and dangerous' boys that the female lead falls in love with, the forbidden romance, and love triangles. God do I hate love triangles.) and all the characters are very interesting. It also has an insight to how werewolves 'work', such as how a pack interacts with others, how much control an alpha has on the whole pack and other stuff. The female lead is also strong and capable rather than the Bella Swan-knockoffs that most females are becoming in other teen fictions, which is always a bonus.

music - down and pantera. holy shit dude, both are really great. really really great. down has particularly got me hooked lately and man they are some cool stuff. not for everyone, but yeah i like it a lot. sludgy, low-tuned metal with a southern edge.
also les claypool. the guy may very well be my favorite musician. he's something else man, talented motherfucker, really weird and funny guy too.

shows - ren and stimpy. have been developing an interest in cartooning so this show is great for that, the animation (especially with the gestures and expressions the characters make) is great and i like the ridiculous humor. the 90s was great for cartoons.

games - team fortress 2, yeah boyyy

Anyone got any shows, books, movies, animated shorts, etc etc. that make them just stop and say 'wow'? Do you have a piece of entertainment that you'd like to sing the praises of from a rooftop, or pass out fliers about to the general populace from astride a blimp made of even more fliers?

Yeah that pretty much defines TWEWY for me. Life-changing, hilarious in parts, utterly quotable (and I don't just mean Minamimoto, dammit; "Enjoy the moment with all your might: whether it's gloomy, whether it's bright!"), and just a great, original game with great, original combat, plot, and characters.

Oh, man. A lot of stuff! Not in any particular order.

- TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN. It is so ridiculous and yet I adore it because the characters have a surprising amount of depth, the concept makes a surprising amount of sense in its own completely nonsensical way, and it just cheerfully sits there doing all these ridiculously silly but also utterly epic things, in between INSPIRATIONAL SPEECHES ABOUT DRILLS and how they are a perfect analogy for how humanity inches ever onward and will never give up no matter how far you push them underground. It is impossible to adequately describe it in a way that makes it sound anywhere near as great as it actually is, but seriously.

- O Brother, Where Art Thou? I love this movie like you wouldn't believe. The characters are delightful, the dialogue is hilarious, the story takes itself just the right kind of not at all seriously, and the music and visual design is awesome.

- Flight of the Conchords, New Zealand's fourth most popular folk parody duo. Originally they just wrote songs, which are both frequently priceless and actually quite catchy and fun to listen to while spanning a mind-boggling range of musical genres. Later they got a TV show with plots written around making up excuses to include their songs, which is brilliant; it's this awesomely low-key bizarre character humour broken up with ridiculously over-the-top videos of the aforementioned hilarious songs. Then even later they made a second season where the songs were mostly written into the plots, and though most would agree it's not quite as good as the first, it's still pretty great.

- Boston Legal, extremely unserious, lampshade-hanging, fourth-wall-breaking legal drama that contains a lot of shameless soapboxing and sexual harassment and completely makes up for it by featuring one of my favorite (by which I mean complex, self-loathing and damaged) fictional characters of all time, Alan Shore, and in him and Denny Crane the most bizarre, touching, powerful, utterly adorable platonic relationship in anything I've ever watched or read. Also, Alan's closing arguments are one of those things I could happily watch for the rest of my life and never get bored, no matter how shamelessly soapboxy they are.

- ReGenesis, Canadian television series nobody has ever heard of except me. It's basically House except with mass outbreaks of superviruses and bioterrorism instead of individual patients with weird diseases. It features a truly delicious main character (by which I still mean complex, self-loathing and damaged), some very interesting plots, actually mostly accurate science (fancy that!), an openly gay character who is well-adjusted and competent and non-stereotypical and doesn't die and whose sexuality is not his only defining characteristic (fancy that), and just great character writing in general and aaaa I need to watch this again already because I love it! @_@ The fourth (final) season is a bit... odd, but other than that it's just absolutely marvelous. Somebody else needs to watch this because I have never been able to fangirl over it with anyone but Shadey and that's just sad.

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Don't let the embarrassing title and campy monsters fool you, because this show is good, primarily thanks to the amazing characters and character development and the priceless humour.

- Firefly. You can marathon the whole series in a day! :D And it's just got awesome worldbuilding and the characters and their interactions and the humour and oh god.

- The Ace Attorney games. Characters! Humour! I am really repeating myself a lot here, aren't I?

- Don Rosa's Disney comics. Hilarious and with actual character depth and some awesome heartwarming moments and crazy research! Also, it's really fun how he thinks exactly like a fanfic writer, with an almost reverent regard for the canon (Carl Barks' work) and (almost) always justifying rather than ignoring the things that don't quite seem to fit together in canon, while being unafraid to fill in the blanks with new ideas of his own. And he has some really, really clever and creative ideas. I've recently finished reading his entire body of work and I'm honestly heartbroken he's retired (apparently his eyesight is getting too bad to draw comics, which is just tragic).

- Jesus Christ Superstar! Takes the Biblical story of the crucifixion and manages to make it compelling and emotional by expanding upon the character of Judas and why he did what he did and showing Jesus as seriously conflicted about the whole thing. In song. Note that the 1973 movie, though the best known version, is not my favorite and I'm not sure I would love it anywhere near as much as I do if that were the only take on it I'd seen. (I fell in love with my school's production originally; the 1973 movie feels a bit weird and disjointed to me in addition to being... a bit campy and seventies-ish and difficult to take seriously. Various other productions I've seen (bits of) then frequently appear to completely miss the point by playing Judas as simply evil and greedy instead of desperate and honestly concerned and explicitly refusing the blood money until they convince him it would be a waste to refuse to take it when he can use it to do some good for the poor argh who let you direct this seriously.)

- Lackadaisy! Liquor-smuggling and the associated shootings and shady activity in Prohibition-era St. Louis, except the characters are all adorable kitties who are adorable. Also really funny and gorgeously drawn.

- Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Everything about this is loveable, especially Neil Patrick Harris and the beautiful songs and the comedy gold. If you haven't seen it already, watch it. Commentary! The Musical is pretty hilarious too, if you have the DVD.

- Mythbusters. So it's a show where myths are busted (or, occasionally, confirmed) and there are lots of explosions. Okay. But what really makes it is that it is hosted by really funny, charismatic people and just watching the banter and all the things that go wrong and the inventive solutions they think of to test the myths is glorious, and it can tell you some pretty fascinating stuff (oh god elephants actually are afraid of mice).

- District 9. I can't even begin to sum it up in a way that doesn't make it sound cheesy, but I promise that it's not. It feels very real, especially so the main character's development, and it's just extremely intense and interesting and I love this movie.

- Næturvaktin, Dagvaktin, Fangavaktin and Bjarnfreðarson, three Icelandic comedy TV series and a wrap-up movie that incidentally contain some of the most realistic and compelling psychological character depth I have ever seen. None of you have ever seen this or are ever going to, but this is a Stuff You Love thread and I love them, so.

- The Neverending Story and Momo by Michael Ende. Note that by The Neverending Story, I mean the book, not the movie that I have admittedly never seen but according to what I've gathered of the plot was clearly made by people who hadn't the faintest idea what the book was actually about. These are very possibly the best children's books ever written, and note that I don't consider children's books an inferior class of fiction.

...aand I should probably stop so I don't spend all day here and diminish the chances anyone will bother to read my post further.

Can I list my favourite TV shows here? Excellent! :D

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The West Wing
Sherlock
Doctor Who
A Bit of Fry and Laurie
Pushing Daisies
QI
Life On Mars
Bad Girls
Dead Like Me
House
Blackadder
Torchwood
Firefly
The IT Crowd
Merlin
Wire in the Blood
Battlestar Galactica
Gilmore Girls
Green Wing
Veronica Mars
Jekyll
Jeeves and Wooster
Fawlty Towers
Spooks
Wonderfalls
Angel
M*A*S*H
The Thick of It
The League of Gentlemen
Gavin & Stacey
Yes Minister
Jonathan Creek
Have I Got News for You
Only Fools and Horses
Black Books
30 Rock
Queer as Folk
Ashes to Ashes
Outnumbered
The Wire
Bones
Will & Grace
The Office (UK version)

The only real order there is the order in which I thought of them, but my absolute favourites are near the top. But they're all wonderful <3

I would vote for The West Wing, Buffy and Doctor Who being the most life-changingly awesome, if pressed to choose.

yoshiya's big list of crap things that he seems to like and what I MYSELF would rate them out of 10 purely for being interesting/funny/etc GOGOGO

TV:
Glee [8]
Ugly Betty (RIP) [9]
Pushing Daisies (RIP) [10]
Misfits [10]
Fairy Tail [8]
Occult Academy [10]

Music (Albums):
Lady Gaga - The Fame/The Fame Monster [9/9]
Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters/Ta-Dah/Night Work [10/7/10]
Train - Save Me, San Francisco [9]
Eliza Doolittle - Eliza Doolittle [8]
Brandon Flowers - Flamingo [9]

Video Games that I have recently played:
The World Ends With You - DS [10]
Pokemon SoulSilver - DS [10]
Sonic Colours - Wii [9]
Ghost Trick - DS [10]
Super Paper Mario - Wii [9]
The Sims 3 - PC [6]

- O Brother, Where Art Thou? I love this movie like you wouldn't believe. The characters are delightful, the dialogue is hilarious, the story takes itself just the right kind of not at all seriously, and the music and visual design is awesome.
DEY DUN DERR TURNED PETE 'NTO A HORNY TOAD
that was a fun movie, yeah.

Get it right! It's DEM SIRENS LOVED 'IM UP AND TURNED 'IM 'NTO A H-HORNY TOAD! :D

WEBCOMICS!!!!!!!!1

Gunnerkrigg Court is an amazing comic that I adore and love and stuff. It's about a newly orphaned pink-haired girl moving from her lifelong home of a hospital to the mysterious school of Gunnerkrigg Court. There's robots and dragons and and and shadow people and copious amounts of references to world mythology.
The art (although a tad shaky for the earlier chapters) steadily improved until it was amazing. The storyline is very, very convoluted but in a oh-look-now-we-have-an-answer-about-that-but-now-we-have-even-more-questions way. The author's notes are sarcastic and dry, but/and hilarious.

Digger is just as amazing as the above but seriously underloved. It's the epic tale of a hero tasked with vanquishi– oh, wait, no, it's about a cynical, down-to-earth wombat named Digger(-of-Extremely-Convoluted-Tunnels). She's lost and groping around in the dark tunnel she's digging, wandering for hours, until she comes up in the temple of the Hindu god Ganesh. And then she talks to a (statue of) the god himself and finds out that that is a magical* hole and now she can't get back home that way.
The story revolves mostly around her trying to get home, but the real draw is the characters. The author has a degree in anthropology, and it shows; the references to multicultural traditions as well as the multitude of interesting races and factions (the extremely-well-thought-out matriarchal society of hyenas, for one) really add a sense of realism to a world that makes no apologies about its strange goings-on.

Okay...my lovestuffs...

-Whose Line (Not as into it as I used to be but getting back into it since Improv-a-Ganza is airing in March)

- The Drew Carey Show (Not your usual sitcom, had many creative ideas. Also introduced me to Craig Ferguson, my celebrity crush of the now)

- The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson (Just tell me, what other talk show has a robot skeleton sidekick made by Grant Imahara...speaking of which...)

- Mythbusters (Basically what Butterfree said)

- Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (Oh my gosh, it's just amazing. Catchy songs and everything. And I gained a new actor fangirlism...)

- How I Met Your Mother (Very recently got into this. Very interesting and funny and NPH is awesome)

Sherlock is awesome as well. Need to get the DVDs. And I'm pretty sure there's lots more

Animes:
-Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu. It's a really fun, ridiculous show, and possibly one of the best comedy animes I've seen. Lots of crazy stuff going on, basically.
-Axis Powers Hetalia. I started hearing about it and decided to check out what it was all about... and I found out it was actually pretty great.

Games:
- Super Mario 64 DS. (And yes, DS.)
- No More Heroes. It's a fun game.

Six Feet Under was a pretty life-changing television series for me but maybe I'm just lame. I do think as many people as possible should watch it because it's awesome.

Morrissey essentially provides a soundtrack to my mind, but maybe I just need to take some prozac or something.

There are far too many great books and in the following list I will forget some that I love dearly and then I'll beat myself for it: Ensaio Sobre a Cegueira (Blindess as it's known in English) by José Saramago, 1984 (Orwell) but only if you read it correctly and don't proceed to compare it to Obama's government, Good Omens (Gaiman & Prattchet), Wilde in general, Jeeves & Wooster (P.G. Wodehouse), A Perfect Waiter (Sulzer).
AGAIN I AM FORGETTING SO MANY THAT THIS LIST IS KIND OF MEANINGLESS.

Let's talk about comics. They are awesome, and if you think comics are just for kids then you are a) wrong and b) have clearly never visited a decent comic shop. But I live in Belgium AKA comic land so I'm biased :o(
Good comics and authors: The Perry Bible Fellowship (Nicolas Gurewitch) ,The Arrival (Shaun Tan), Joann Sfar (The Rabbi's Cat, Gainsbourg, etc), Lewis Trondheim (Les Petits Riens, Les Formidables Aventures de/Sans Lapinot, Donjon, etc), Zoo (Frank & Bonifay), Journals (Fabrice Neaud), Moebius (TOO MUCH AWESOME STUFF TO LIST), Larcenet (Blast, Donjon, Une Aventure Rocambolesque De..., etc), Marzi (Marzena Sowa & Sylvain Savoia), Il Etait Une Fois En France (Nury & Valee) and many more.
I think Marzi's been translated into English and I know a lot of Sfar's work has been, though I can't vouch for the rest. You guys should develop the comic industry in your countries :( make comics that AREN'T always about superheroes or whatever and make them about stuff that matters. There's a reason why comics are the 9th art.

In Japanese comics I can recommend anything by Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys, etc) and say with certainty that it will be god-tier. There's the eternal Osamu Tezuka. Individual comics I recommend are Doraemon, Shin-chan and Yakitate!! Ja-pan! (the ending is kind of lame though).

I have a few things that I absolutely -love-. Not in any order, just a list.

-Ace Attorney: Oh God. I love it. So much. The cases, the humor, the characters, the courts, everything! It's such a loveable game series, I recommend this to every one. The law has never been so much fun, let me tell you. I'm currently playing Justice For All, Apollo Justice, and Phoenix Wright. Last case on PW, second-to-last case on AP, already beat Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney: Investigations, I need Trials & Tribulations, and I'm on the second case on JFA. I just can't play one at a time! My favorite games series by far. *wants to be a prosecuter when she grows up*

-Pokemon: I've grown up with Pokemon, and I still love it. Generation one through five, I love them all, and still gotta catch 'em all. <3

-Michael Jackson: Ever since age seven I've been listening to his music, dancing his dances, singsing his songs... He's my idol. No matter what anyone says about him, no matter what he did to himself, no matter what anyone says he is, he will always be a beautiful man that deserved much more time here on Earth. I still miss him. I'm going to continue playing his video games, listening to his music, watching his music videos... I'll remember this forever and pass it on to my children, so they can pass it on to their children, and so on. Legends never die, they say. And I hold that to be true.

-The Sonic Series: My interest for this has recently waned, however I'm still rather fond of it. I like the characters, and the games themselves are rather fun, but in my opinion, it's not as good as Ace Attorney or Pokemon. I'd rather be playing one of those than a Sonic game. 4Kids messed up the Sonic X anime, most of the games suck, and I'm hoping to get Sonic Colours, since I heard that it's a MAJOR improvement. Otherwise, I find it to be an adequate series that could improve.

-Forums: Does this count as something? Because I absolutely LOVE forums. I don't necessarily join many, but I do love reading the posts and such. Out of all the forums I've been on and/or seen, tCoD is by far the best forum. I applaud Bachuru/Butterfree for her magnificent work. Thank you for such a wonderful site and forum. <3

-Drawing: I've always loved to draw, and I've improved quite a bit since last year. I'm currently worrking on realistic kinds of drawings, but to no avail... Or at least not much. I prefer drawing cartoons. C:

I probably have so much more things, but I'm so tired, I can't think straight! I'll update the post if I happen to remember anything. C:

I do believe in the power of stuff.

Three internets to you for a Sokka quote.

On that note:

-Avatar: The Last Airbender. Probably the best cartoon/anime/whatever series EVER created. The characters and setting of the show are so realistic, colorful, and three-dimensional. It's a shame it was shat on numerous times by Nickelodeon, who didn't have enough interest to NOT put months or years between episodes; though it still had resources to pump out an iCarly every week and a new SpongeBob TV movie every month.

-Craig Ferguson. It's sucks that his show comes on so late during the week, or I would watch it every night. I love his little sayings and gags. (Sean Connery, anyone?)

-Music: Radiohead and Arcade Fire. Number-one and -two favorite artists. Neon Bible and The Suburbs from Arcade Fire, and Kid A and In Rainbows from Radiohead are amazing.

-Music: although I prefer prog metal/neoprog rock the most, I listen to like literally almost every genre (well the good stuff from them anyway), be it melodeath, metalcore, breakcore, industrial, doom, post-punk, sludge, classical, neoclassical, good country, IDM, underground rap, alternative rock, indie, jazz, post-rock, new age or whatever else. Most favourite bands: Porcupine Tree/Blackfield, Opeth, Katatonia, maudlin of the Well, Pain Of Salvation, Dark Tranquillity, HORSE the band, Iron Maiden, Converge and Radiohead.

-Games: I've been playing Defense Of The Ancients for like 3 years now (I play carries or nukers in the High Level Rooms on garena), and I'm eagerly waiting for DotA 2. And although I'm not able to play it, I religiously follow StarCraft 2, mainly Day9's dailies (the funday monday episodes should be very entertaining to watch even for people who have no idea about SC2), as well as livestreams of ongoing tournaments, and when I still have time left over, Crota's and TotalBiscuit's SC2 casts on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom