• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[11] blazheirio889 vs Mendatt (ref: Byrus)

I believe if both pokemon are commanded to wait (Guess by conditionals, Yuki by command) the faster pokemon would eventually get impatient enough to move, correct? I'm pretty sure that happened somewhere. Without checking base stats, I think that a froslass would outspeed petilil by quite a bit.

Or that they would both wait for the other to move, which neither would do, therefore preventing either from doing anything on that action.

I'm still pretty sure I'm right, but whatever. I can basically do the same thing by rearranging my commands, so yeah. I've edited them. Yuki will Blizzard first, Guess will Sub, then Yuki will Taunt through the Sub on the second action, etc.

blazheirio889 [O]
[Yukianesa] Froslass (F) <Snow cloak> nevermeltice
Health: 99% | 5% substitute
Energy: 65%
Status: Still feeling pumped up. + 2 attack and special attack

Mendatt [O]
[Guess] Petilil (F) <Own tempo>
Health: 65% (capped)
Energy: 100%

Round three

Yuki holds her arms out wide, and a chilling wind blows throughout the hall, causing a shiver to run through the crowd. Guess cringes and cowers down as the wind gusts by, still blinking rapidly as she tries to clear away the lingering drowsiness. As the biting wind grows stronger, a swirl of ice and snow circles the Froslass, and she abruptly lashes out, sending the pent up ice-storm howling towards her foe. Guess gives a horrified wail that is quickly drowned out by the furious howl of the blizzard that engulfs her. It relentlessly batters her with hail and snow, knocking the breath out of her as it bites at her sensitive leaves and roots.

When the raging blizzard finally dies, Guess is left shivering even worse than before, her tiny body coated in a layer of frost. She gives a feeble groan of pain and gingerly shakes herself to try and dislodge the worst of the snow. The cold has sapped away much of her strength, but she struggles to keep going and play defensive for now. She slowly begins to form a small seed, which rapidly grows into the vague shape of a Petilil formed with a tangle of vines and leaves. The creation shuffles in front of its creator, its hollow eyes lighting up with a white spark of life. Its earthy presence offers a little comfort to the freezing cold Guess, and she crouches down behind it, still quivering and grimacing.

Yukianesa looks at the substitute with disinterest, then turns her attention to the miserable little plant huddled behind it. She grins nastily, then eagerly begins flinging out a tirade of insults. She mocks the Petilil's attempts at strategy, and brags about how she's always going to be one step ahead. "Are you just going to sit there and cower behind that stupid looking thing?"
Guess squeaks indignantly as Yuki smugly rambles on, and despite the pain she’s in, she can feel red hot rage bubbling up within her. Her frustration with her current predicament begins to build and build the more Yuki talks, until she finds herself completely blinded by anger. Guess utters a furious shriek and recklessly flings herself at Yuki, determined to wipe the smug look off her face, but she is immediately blocked off by her substitute. Its presence seems to further enrage Guess, and she furiously bites at it and bashes it with her head, heedless of her own safety. Although Yuki is initially startled by the little plant’s sudden ferocity, she is soon looking on in amusement as Guess pummels her substitute, emitting an angry, high-pitched squeak with each strike. Guess's movement is still somewhat sluggish thanks to the icy chill of the blizzard, but she makes up for it in sheer recklessness. The weakened sub crumbles with each strike, and huge chunks fall from its ruined form as the light in its eyes flickers and dies.

When Guess backs off, she’s panting and shaking from cold and exertion, but she’s pleased to see that Yuki’s substitute is now just a puddle of water and half-melted chunks of ice. Yukianesa isn’t too concerned though; it’s nothing compared to what she’s dishing out. She eyes up Guess’s own creation, then cups her hands and blows out a chilling blast of freezing vapour. An orb of icy blue energy crackles to life in her hands, and she sends it streaming towards Guess in a concentrated beam of ice. The leafy substitute immediately jumps to Guess’s defence, and the ice beam completely pulverises it in one freezing cold blast. Frozen leaves are strewn about the stage, but the enraged Petilil hardly seems aware of the destruction of her avatar; she’s so intent on making that Froslass pay.

Guess launches herself forward again, and with no substitute around to block her way, she collides right with the Froslass. Yuki gives an irritated grunt as Guess bashes up against her, then roughly shoves the flailing plant out of her face. Guess gives an indignant squeak as she lands on the floor with a thump, her head ringing and her whole body aching. She looks to be in terrible shape; the leaves on her head are wilted and bitten with frost and her roots are withered from the extreme cold she's endured. However, the little plant doesn't seem to be done venting just yet, and she pushes herself upright again, still shivering and looking very unsteady, but grimly determined.

End of round three

blazheirio889 [O]
Health: 94%
Energy: 50%
Status: A little tired, but confident and unfazed by Guess's rage. + 2 attack and special attack
Moves used: Blizzard ~ Taunt ~ Ice beam

Mendatt [O]
Health: 20% (Capped)
Energy: 93%
Moves used: Substitute (15%) ~ Struggle x2

Battle note

- Substitute doesn't count towards the damage cap, hence Guess's health.
- Neeearly forgot struggle was typeless.
- Regarding the little debate here; I would have went with blazheirio's interpretation. I'm nearly positive I saw it reffed like that before too, but of course, you can never find the specific example when you need it. Anyway, I can clarify with Negrek if it crops up again.
- The next song is Okami - Northern Country Kamui: The song's chilly vibe creates a hailstorm. The arena falls under the effects of Hail during this round.
- blazheirio889 attacks first.​

Last edited:
Right, then. Blizzard should finish this off, and it can't miss thanks to the Hail. Glad I actually considered the timing of my songs, heh. She shouldn't be able to avoid it via Protect or whatever, thanks to Taunt.

In any case, if by some witchery Guess is still standing, renew the Taunt and then fire an Ice Beam at her. If Guess Protects against the Taunt, wait for it to fall and then Disable Protect, if you can in the same action; if you can't, use, um, Double Team I guess.

Third action, if Guess isn't Taunted, Taunt her again. If she manages to Protect again, another Double Team, durr. Froslass why you have no buffing moves

Blizzard ~ Taunt/Disable/Double Team ~ Ice Beam/Taunt/Double Team

... Yeah I can't even think of anything I can do at this point. However, I believe that Blizzard technically can miss, since hail merely increases it's accuracy to 100%... Which is an interesting piece of trivia and rather useless at this point... Anyhow... Where was I... Oh yes,

Giga drain x3 for no particular reason

blazheirio889 [O]
Energy: 50%
Status: A little tired, but confident and unfazed by Guess's rage. + 2 attack and special attack

Mendatt [O]
Health: 20% (Capped)

Round four

The next song that blasts out has an interesting icy vibe to it, so much so, that the temperature in the room actually begins to drop. A shiver runs across the crowd as their breath begins to mist, and they all look up as they spot a shroud of clouds looming overhead. Soon enough, hailstones begin to fall over the arena, leaving the floor slick and icy. Guess gives a feeble but irritated squeak as the hailstones pepper her small form, leaving her in an even worse mood than before.

Of course, Yukianesa grins widely as the hail pelts down over the hall; it's only going to make her victory all the more beautiful. Too bad the crowd doesn't seem to be enjoying it. Ah well, there's no accounting for taste. She hums along to the tune as she holds out her arms, and the howl of the incoming blizzard soon fills the hall, mingling nicely with the music.

Despite the rage clouding her vision, Guess can feel fear beginning to set in as well; there really doesn't look like there's any way out of this. Nevertheless, she tries her best to brace herself against the vicious blizzard raging towards her. She is once again pelted with ice and snow, which completely ravages her leafy form, leaving her too breathless to even cry out. When the ice-storm fades, Guess is left looking more like a living snow-cone than an actual Petilil. She makes a feeble effort to shake the ice away, but ultimately ends up falling over in a pitiful heap. It soon becomes clear that she's out for the count, and the referee hastily holds up his flags to signal the end of the match.

End of battle

blazheirio889 [O]
Energy: 42%

Mendatt [X]
Health: 0%

Yukianesa grins and takes several bows as the audience eagerly applauds, despite their grievances about the weather. Mendatt gives a sigh and returns the frost coated Guess, praising her for her brave attempt. He probably owes her a sunny vacation after all this, and maybe a sun stone. Both trainers take to the stage to give a quick bow as the roar of the crowd grows louder, then they both head off to collect their prizes. Meanwhile, the disgruntled looking janitor sets about clearing up the mess everyone made.

Well, that's it! Sorry for not being as timely as I could have. blazheirio889 gets $20, plus entry into the next round, while Mendatt gets $10. I get $15.

Yuki gets two experience points and Guess gets one.

Last edited:
Good game, Mendatt! It'd probably have been better if it weren't for the overwhelming type advantage, heh. I was actually considering using Starmie, since your Riolu pummels half my team (damn fighting-types). Maybe we can battle again sometime when the stakes aren't so high.

Indeed it was. Eh, usually not a fan of fighting types either. It's just that Riolu's so dang cute.
Anyhow, yeah, that would be fun. It was quite enjoyable battling you.
Hmm. I can't decide whether to use the money from this battle to get Guess a sun stone, or to evolve my Kricketot.

I know right :3 That's why I have one too. The only fighting type I actually do have, iirc.
Anyway, I'd evolve Kricketot first; maybe by the time another one of your battles is taken, you'd have gotten enough allowance to buy a Sun Stone?

Back
Top Bottom