• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenges Progress Thread

Got a Ground Monotype going in Alpha Sapphire. I did the same monotype with the same team back in Emerald, but it's certainly different now with all the different moves and stuff - the physical/special split turns Claydol into a markedly better Pokémon than the mixed attacker I used back in Emerald (and its level-up movepool no longer sucks balls, with Extrasensory and Earth Power through level in addition to Dazzling Gleam by TM), Camerupt gets Lava Plume which is awesome, and Sandslash ACTUALLY GETS GROUND STAB FOR ONCE. That's to say nothing of mechanics changes which means Golem doesn't fear Water-types due to OHKO'ing most things with Earthquake and taking their shit due to Sturdy! I love it.

I have seven badges, which means I'm clearing out the gauntlet of Water trainers - and man, is it tricky. Sandslash is surprisingly adept at surviving against Water-types, and Eviolite Vibrava is helping out some for the time being. But I can't wait for Wallace :D

Team:
swampert Adri (after our very own Water-loving Adriane lol)
Relaxed nature
Muddy Water
Ice Beam
Surf
Mud Bomb

vibrava Desertsong
Impish nature
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Dragon Breath
Crunch

claydol Oracle
Calm nature
Dazzling Gleam
Shadow Ball
Extrasensory
Earth Power

golem Hazy
Smack Down
Bulldoze
Rock Smash
Earthquake

camerupt Fireball
Jolly nature
Strength
Earth Power
Lava Plume
Rock Slide

sandslash Shingle
Timid nature
Fury Cutter
Slash
Magnitude
Rock Tomb

Got a Ground Monotype going in Alpha Sapphire. I did the same monotype with the same team back in Emerald, but it's certainly different now with all the different moves and stuff - the physical/special split turns Claydol into a markedly better Pokémon than the mixed attacker I used back in Emerald (and its level-up movepool no longer sucks balls, with Extrasensory and Earth Power through level in addition to Dazzling Gleam by TM), Camerupt gets Lava Plume which is awesome, and Sandslash ACTUALLY GETS GROUND STAB FOR ONCE. That's to say nothing of mechanics changes which means Golem doesn't fear Water-types due to OHKO'ing most things with Earthquake and taking their shit due to Sturdy! I love it.

Wow, I should definitely do a ground monotype, those are all Pokemon I've meant to use but never got around to it.

Water monotype in Alpha Sapphire also works really well (since there's too much water).

I have elected to do a run of Pokémon Red using only a Meowth. Just started it up and GSed one in as my starter, then went to look up Meowth's Gen 1 learnset and... yeah. It's even shittier than I thought. It gets nothing but normal-, electric- and water-type moves and my best options for an endgame moveset are Slash, Bubblebeam, Thunderbolt, and ???. Not to mention that Brock is going to be absolute hell. This will be... interesting.

You know, that reminds me of something. My very first Pokémon game was Red Version, and I actually got stuck on my first playthrough. Like, legitimately game-is-unwinnable stuck. See, you need money to get into the Safari Zone to obtain Surf. But I was so bad at finding my way in there (come on, I was a kid!) that I never actually reached the guy who gives you Surf. And then I ran out of money.

I battled every trainer and sold every item I could find, but it just wasn't enough. I reached the point where there actually was no more money to be obtained in the game.

At that point, it occurred to me that there was this move called Pay Day that gives you money. So I looked it up and, of course, to get the Pay Day TM you need to have Surf in the first place. And you can't catch a wild Meowth if you've sold all your Poké Balls.

... Eventually I just gave up and restarted the game. Made sure to get it right on my second playthrough. Still, I sometimes wonder if maybe I missed something. I mean, I feel like they would have programmed something into the game to make it possible to progress even without any money? Maybe there's a way to enter the Safari Zone for free, or get free Poké Balls or something...?

... Eventually I just gave up and restarted the game. Made sure to get it right on my second playthrough. Still, I sometimes wonder if maybe I missed something. I mean, I feel like they would have programmed something into the game to make it possible to progress even without any money? Maybe there's a way to enter the Safari Zone for free, or get free Poké Balls or something...?

Believe it or not there actually is. From what I've heard, anyway, though it might just apply to Yellow - if you talk to the Safari Zone warden enough times with not enough cash they'll finally let you in for free.
There isn't a similar workaround for if you don't have the needed money to buy a Fresh Water for the Saffron guards, though.

See, this is why Meowth is so great. The game's potentially literally unwinnable without it!
Also Meowth isn't even available in Red, MD, so you would be boned even with Pokéballs. :P

Anyway I just looked some things up and apparently I can eight hit KO Brock's Onix. I'd have to grind to level 32 to even guarantee a 3 hit KO. Help.

Doing a Nuzlocke of Omega Ruby. Current team:
Team:
Link (Grovyle)
Impa (Cosplay Pikachu)
Kaepora Gaebora (Taillow in training)
Wizzrobe (Kadabra)

PC:
Some Pokemon I don't remember

Valhalla:
Barkle (Poochyena)
Medli (Wingull)

Yeah, if you can't guess, I'm naming my Pokemon after Zelda characters.

Back
Top Bottom