• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Best moveset...

Depends on what you want to use it for I guess?

My favourite Lucario moveset is this, if you're interested:

Lucario @ Choice Specs/Wise Glasses
Inner Focus
252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse
-Calm Mind (if you use Wise Glasses)/Psychic (Choice Specs)

Pretty standard I guess, hnn. I use her as a lead.

I'm not super competitive savvy but this is the moveset I use for my Lucario...

Lucario @ ??? (haven't decided yet lol)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely
Inner Focus
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-ExtremeSpeed

He's based off Smogon's "Anti-Lead" moveset, Swords Dance replaced Counter. I use him in the Battle Frontier so I figured Swords Dance would go more nicely... and it's also a little for novelty and is a little easier to apply in-game than Counter.
Not sure what item to give him, though. If I want to buff up with Swords Dance I can't give him a Choice-Item... that alone might make this moveset unsuitable, I dunno. Right now he has a Razor Claw as a filler item, and he does pretty well in the Frontier for me. I'll probably get him a Muscle Band or something eventually.

Last edited:
I'm not super competitive savvy but this is the moveset I use for my Lucario...

Lucario @ ??? (haven't decided yet lol)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely
Inner Focus
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-ExtremeSpeed

He's based off Smogon's "Anti-Lead" moveset, Swords Dance replaced Counter. I use him in the Battle Frontier so I figured Swords Dance would go more nicely... and it's also a little for novelty and is a little easier to apply in-game than Counter.
Not sure what item to give him, though. If I want to buff up with Swords Dance I can't give him a Choice-Item... that alone might make this moveset unsuitable, I dunno. Right now he has a Razor Claw as a filler item, and he does pretty well in the Frontier for me. I'll probably get him a Muscle Band or something eventually.

Ever thought of using the Life Orb?

Ever thought of using the Life Orb?

Oh! There's a thought. :x Not such a bad idea...
... Except in that Battle Castle place where you get less points if you take damage. Otherwise it doesn't seem like too bad of a choice if I know I'm not about to get pummeled. I need to go find that thing, anyway. It's outside Stark Mountain, right?

I'm curious, but what good movests are there for T-tars/Zangooses/and Espeons?

well, my Ttar set is something like this:

Tyranitar @ Muscle Band/Life Orb (whichever I feel like using)
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
-Dragon Dance
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

and my Espeon Set:

Espeon @ Wise Glasses
Timid
252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4Def
-Psychic
-Signal beam
-Wish
-Calm Mind

Signal beam is Pt only though. I don't use a Competitive Zangoose, so no help from me there...

I'm curious, but what good movests are there for T-tars/Zangooses/and Espeons?

Not meaning to be picky but you pluralise a Pokémon's name like you would pluralising sheep. The plural is the same as the singular.
It completely depends on what you want them to do in a team.

With Espeon I like to try and do as much damage in a small amount of time.

Here's the one I use:

Espeon @ Lum berry;
Timid.
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP.
  • Psychic
  • Shadow Ball
  • HP Fighting
  • Calm Mind

Unless a fighting type is carrying a choice item or is carrying a speed-priority move, you can dent a lot of things for a lot of damage, especially if you ever get the opportunity to Calm Mind. You should be able to outrun most Infernape sets out there and deal a great amount of damage with Psychic.
HP fighting allows you to put a dent into Tyranitar, especially if it Dragon Dances first round. Shadow ball is just my generic filler move of choice.

I find that Espeon is a little too frail for leftovers as they don't really provide substancial HP to a Pokémon which has such low base stats in HP which is why I give it a lum berry instead. Most Pokémon carry status inducing moves. If you encounter a Froslass in hail with thunder wave, you should be able to reflect the status back at it, curing yourself with the Lum Berry.

I picked timid over a modest nature as Espeon already has enough special attack to be a threat without the additional 10% to its special attack stat. The additional speed is required to outrun fast hitting physical attackers before they can hit you as most will kill Espeon on the first hit.

If you want support I'd probably go with this:

Espeon @ Leftovers/Lum Berry;
Timid.
252 HP/252 Spd/4 Sp. Def.
  • Calm Mind
  • Baton Pass
  • Substitute
  • Generic attacking move or Wish.

General passing set. If you're confident you're going to win, you may want to put wish in your last slot in case you want to heal whatever you're passing to.

HP EVs set up stronger substitutes which makes them a little less flimsy, though most are likely to get destroyed on the first turn. However, if you have one up when you pass it enables you to safely send out whatever you're passing to into any Pokémon.

Nothing really out of the ordinary here. Leftovers give you a little more chance of making an increased number of subs but the Lum berry means you're not passing on a status affliction. If you have a sub up you're not likely to get one anyway so leftovers are the superiour choice here.

Of course, both sets probably aren't that great.

A good Lucario moveset depends entirely on what you want it to do. Its base Sp.Atk is higher than its attack, so if you want to focus on that, a decent moveset would be:

Shadow Ball
Aura Sphere
Hidden Power Ice
Vacuum Wave
Note that Fighting/Ghost provides absolutely perfect coverage; it hits everything in the game for neutral damage. Aura Sphere's a decent move overall, with infallible accuracy to boot. Shadow Ball helps with coverage. Hidden Power Ice nails many of the things that Lucario has trouble with, and Vacuum Wave lets you blast things that're faster than you. Toss Choice Specs onto your Lucario to get some serious power going on.

Lucario's physical attack is nothing to scoff at, as he has some pretty powerful attacks. If you like physical attackers, try:

Extremespeed
Close Combat
Crunch OR Ice Punch OR Stone Edge
Swords Dance
Use Swords Dance when you get the chance, then clean away. Extremespeed guarantees a first-turn hit, which is nice. Close Combat is absurdly powerful with STAB and SD. Crunch is for Ghosts who otherwise completely wall this set, but if you have problems with other Pokemon types you can drop it for Ice Punch or Stone Edge. A Life Orb is the best item on this set, because Lucario's already gonna be dealing out a lot of damage, and Life Orb just amplifies that.

Finally, you can go for a mix of the two; this is my recommendation, as the other two sets can get walled by stuff, and it's nice to have insurance against something like Blissey, who walls the special set.

Close Combat
Ice Punch
Dragon Pulse
Shadow Ball
I'll say this right now - I've never used a mix Lucario. This is just a theoretical set that I thought looked good. Close Combat is to kill Blissey, Ice Punch is for anything that flies, Dragon Pulse is for the great Dragon coverage (only Steel-types resist it, and they can be downed by Close Combat usually), and Shadow Ball, again, goes with Close Combat for great coverage. Like I said, though, just theoretical.

Thank you espeon for the espeon sets. (Kinda makes sense...) And 'tis a good thing my espy has Fighting Hidden. Shamefully not timid, and I'm too lazy to breed and fix, oh well...

Zangoose, T-Tar anyone?

Oh, TTar. Used one myself. :D

Adamant's the best nature; he's not gonna be outrunning much anyway, may as well max out his attack and make him somewhat bulky by adding to his HP. A good moveset would be:

Stone Edge
Earthquake
Crunch
Dragon Dance OR Rock Polish OR Fire Punch OR Ice Punch
Stone Edge is powerful STAB, although slightly inaccurate. If you really dislike the low accuracy, you can opt for Rock Slide, but keep in mind you're losing a huge chunk of power. Earthquake is for the nice coverage - Rock/Ground are overall a nice type combination. Crunch is another nice STAB move that deals heavy damage on Ghost- and Psychic-types. The choice for the last move depends on what you want as an item. Dragon Dance is my suggested option; it's a boost to Tyranitar's low speed and already monstrous attack, and paired with Life Orb it can destroy almost anything (if you dislike heavy hits, try Leftovers instead). Rock Polish is for if you don't feel like breeding a DDTar - you get twice the speed boost, but lose the attack boost. If you opt for Rock Polish, consider putting some points into HP instead of speed.

If you want a Choice Band set, you have Fire and Ice Punch to choose between. Both provide decent coverage, but it's also possible to consider moves like Pursuit for the switches Tyranitar's likely to cause, or Aqua Tail, to help out against Ground-types giving him trouble.

I can suggest:

Zangoose @ Choice Scarf
Adamant 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Return
Close Combat
Shadow Claw
Coverage

straight from smogon. I used it as a revenge killer on an nu team. Actually, I used Naive and Fire Blast, but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom