• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Arg

Coloursfall

THIS IS HOW WE BLEED
Yeah :I I'm trying to make a team based around Pokemon I like, and not ones that are widely used in competitive battling. This'll probably be UU, soyeah. It needs a lot of work, and I suck at choosing EV spreads so help there is loved.

Edward (Persian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Hypnosis
- Night Slash
- Aerial Ace/U-Turn

Lead. Fake Out something, get in a Hypnosis in, and either switch out or attack. Not sure which yet.

Rinna (Umbreon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Def/6 SAtk/252 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Moonlight/Wish
- Dark Pulse
- Yawn/Taunt
- Mean Look/Toxic

Yawn/Mean Look might be useful. Moonlight is good for more heals, but Wish has more PP, so I'm lost there :/ Dark Pulse is just in case I get taunted.

Amy (Girafarig) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Special Sweeper!

Ingrid (Flareon) (F) @ Expert Belt/Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Superpower
- Return
- Fire Fang
- Iron Tail

Physical sweeper. Iron tail for Rocks. Not sure how well Choice Band would work, and I already have a Choice item.

Pickles (Whiscash) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/126 Def/126 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Amnesia
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail/Waterfall

Aqua Tail has more power, but Waterfall is more accurate...

Cookie (Roserade) (F) @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Extrasensory

Another Special sweeper...

I may need more defensive Pokemon... :/ Is Bastiodon any good?

Halp D:

Last edited:
Not very good at competitive battling, so I won't comment much on the team itself. Bastiodon isn't exactly cut out to be a wall, from what I understand, though. It's got a good load of resistances, and its defenses are awesome, but its weaknesses are crippling, not to mention that those types are very common. I think the best thing it does is Metal Bursting stuff to death with a Focus Sash, something around those lines.

I think Wish over Moonlight would be better on Umbreon. She can heal teammates as well as herself, and she should have enough lasting power to survive that extra turn for Wish to kick in, anyway. Moonlight can be unreliable as well, what with weather conditions and stuff.

Erm yeah :I That's all I got. Hope it helped.

erf. Bastidon does the same thing Aggron is good for then? Damn.

Any advice for Lapras/Clefable/Steelix? Those are the only more defensively oriented Pokemon I can think of right now that I like. x__x

Hrm... All of those are weak to fighting, as is a large chunk of your existing team (not to mention your only tank/wall right now as it is). So I wouldn't really recommend any of them :/

If you're adamant about using those, though, I'd probably recommend Steelix over the others, because of its massive defense. Umbreon is more adapted to special walling, anyway. You can set up Stealth Rock with Steelix, as well as Explode on anything that you don't think you'll be able to take down. Admittedly its only stat-boosting things worth mentioning are Curse and Rock Polish, but since I assume it's meant for walling I'd recommend Curse. Actually, you could probably combine Curse with Gyro Ball, though I don't know if Steelix will last long enough for that.

As for Clefable, it has a reliable healing move (Softboiled) as well as a decent defensive movepool (dual Screens, Aromatherapy, Wish, etc.). It also has the BoltBeam combo.

Lapras doesn't seem to be much of a wall. It's more of a... tough special attacker, I think? And once again, the only stat-boosting moves that'll be helpful is Curse. It's got a bucketload of HP, but only mediocre defenses to back it up.

erf. Bastidon does the same thing Aggron is good for then? Damn.

Any advice for Lapras/Clefable/Steelix? Those are the only more defensively oriented Pokemon I can think of right now that I like. x__x

Advice for a Lapras? Go physical if you can. No-one expects it over a typical bolt-beam Lapras, and it also has the same bast Atk as it does Sp. Atk.

Here's what I would advise:
Lapras@Persim Berry, to heal confusion;
Adamant Nature.
EVs:
252Atk, because you really do want a big boost in your attacking power.
252 HP would also be nice in order to make use of the base 130 HP and withstand an attack whilst setting up.
4 Def.

In terms of moves, water/dragon is resisted only by Shedinja and Empoleon; Dragon dance is near-compulsory to boost the attacking power, and outspeed slower Pokémon. The fourth move is optional, but I quite like the idea of putting ice shard there to take care of fast dragons, which are likely to creep in on an unsuspecting Lapras. The only problem you'll have is Empoleon, as Ice Shard can hit Shedinja.

Dragon Dance
Ice Shard
Waterfall
Outrage

The only problem you'll have is Empoleon, as Ice Shard can hit Shedinja.

No it can't.

You need a Stealth Rock user somewhere on there - Steelix, Registeel, and Regirock all work as options for that, although they all lack reliable recovery. Biggest suggestion I can give is ditch Flareon, because my god that thing's too slow to do ANYTHING and its only physical STAB is Fire Fang and that's terrible. But you did say this is a team of your favorites, so uh.

Whoever said Wish is better than Moonlight on Umbreon is correct. It's nice to be able to pass, and Umbreon's defensive enough to survive a turn to pull it off. However, another thing to note is that in almost every situation, maxing HP is more important than maxing both defensive stats. So max HP first, put maybe about 56 points into SpD, and put most the rest into Defense and Attack as you see fit. Another thing I'd suggest is to take advantage of Umbreon's slightly higher attack and use Careful over Bold, put Curse somewhere on that set, and drop Dark Pulse for Payback, which hits much harder when you're going last (which will be almost always with Curse).

Girafarig needs all the help it can get in terms of SpA. Use Modest over Timid so it at least reaches 306 SpA. It'll lose a bit of speed, but that's what the Scarf's for.

Your Whiscash should go with Waterfall over Aqua Tail. The slight power boost is not worth the accuracy drop. Come to think of it, what are you trying to do with this thing? Is it meant to be a tank? If so, try this set:

Whiscash @ Leftovers OR Rindo Berry
Anticipation / Impish OR Adamant
EVs: 156 HP / 176 Atk / 102 Def / 76 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
It's like Gyarados with fewer weaknesses. And no Intimidate. And much lower Attack. After a few Dragon Dances, Whiscash will be powerful enough to take out enemies while still retaining a good amount of bulk on the physical side. If you'd like, you can put the Defense EVs into SpD to wall more special attacks at the cost of lower Defense. Leftovers is the obligatory recovery item, but if you fear running into a Grass-type, you can run Rindo Berry to be on the safe side.

I can't believe I didn't notice this before, but Roserade's OU now. You can't use it if this is going to be a UU team, and if you decide to move to OU you'll, to put it simply, get crushed. If you want another special sweeper, try Alakazam or Espeon. Alakazam's faster and more powerful but dies when hit with a slight breeze, and Espeon is slightly bulkier but has a horrid movepool unless you get one with HP Fighting.

And Persian's fine. You'll probably want U-Turn over Aerial Ace, though.

another couple things. girafarig should use energy ball over grass knot if you make this uu as there are less bulky water/ground/rock types. Also, go with u-turn on persian, or if you want to attack, return. Roserade is now OU, so I'd replace that for easier competition. As for defensive pokemon, shuckle and gastrodon both are different yet useable, and also more usable pokemon like aggron and steelix can be used as well. Bastodon isnt too good. If you want a defensive set a curse+rest set is okay, but I prefer drifblim's calm mind +rest set.

Back
Top Bottom