• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Paychecks should be fixed.

You can redeem emergency reffings at your current referee level, regardless of what it was at the time that you actually completed them.

2v2
One out at a time
DQ: 3 days
Restrictions: OHKO moves, no chills, No Perish Song
Damage Caps: N/A
Arena: Nintendo DS

Identical to the Mario Kart DS battle arena; battlers are situated on a giant Nintendo DS bearing the Pokémon Platinum start-up screen which is floating in the middle of space. It has its own atmosphere, making it possible to breathe, and the gravity is identical to Earth's.

OO
tyrogue
Tyrogue - Male - Steadfast
Health: 74%
Energy: 83%
Paralyzed (25% chance for full paralysis this turn, 15% next turn) Special Defense -1, Attack and Defense +1
Commands:
Protect/Swagger/Hi-Jump Kick ~ Protect/Swagger/Hi-Jump Kick ~ Protect/Swagger/Hi-Jump Kick

OO
porygon
Cyborg - Genderless - Adaptability
Health: 88%
Energy: 78%
Commands:
Psychic/ Magic Coat ~ Tri Attack/ Magic Coat ~ Tri Attack/ Magic Coat

Round X begin!​

Tyrogue thought of things that would piss off his opponent. It was tough, since he really couldn’t think of anything to brag about. Maybe he could pretend that those bandages were from a fight where he totally beat up a big scary Tyranitar! Cyborg gave him a cold mechanical glare, and then focused on covering his body with a thin layer of magical energy. A new layer of translucent pink polygons came out of his body, and started glowing in an eerie manner. Tyrogue stopped for a minute. He had seen that attack before... that’s the one that reflects status effects and stuff, right? He decided that it was best to play it safe, and summoned a green wall in front of him just in case the Porygon pulled any tricks.

The Porygon’s new protective layer of polygons disappeared, and thus Tyrogue let down his barrier. Cyborg repeated the previous action, summoning another layer of pink polygons over its red and blue body. Figuring that he might as well brag about how awesome he is, Tyrogue prepared to show off how cool he was by bragging about his made-up Tyranitar slaying adventure. Before he could do that, though, he suddenly let out a quiet hiccup. He stopped and tried again, but the hiccups kept coming. Eventually, he gave up; what was the point of showing off how he cool he was if he’d just come off like a hiccuping loser?

Cyborg summoned yet another layer of pink polygons, predicting another Swagger. Its guess was correct, and Tyrogue proceeded to talk about his awesomeness. “Hey, Porygon! I’ll beat you up like I beat up that Tyranitar I met in the Lake of Aw-- hic!” He suddenly had an uncontrollable burst of hiccuping. His opponent used this time to calculate the probability of a Tyrogue beating up a Tyranitar. Tyrogue stopped talking, embarassed that his attempts at bragging failed miserably.

Round X end!

tyrogue
Tyrogue - Male - Steadfast
Status: Embarrassed at how much he’s been hiccuping lately.
Paralyzed (15% chance for full paralysis this turn, 10% next turn.) Special Defense -1, Attack and Defense +1
Commands:
Protect ~ Swagger ~ Swagger

OO
porygon
Cyborg - Genderless - Adaptability
Energy: 69%
Status: Calculating the probability of a Tyrogue beating up a Tyranitar.
Commands:
Magic Coat ~ Magic Coat ~ Magic Coat
Arena notes: Pretty much the same as when the round began; Giratina is still as ominous as ever.

Rolls:
Action 1: Cyborg uses Magic Coat [3e]
Tyrogue’s paralysis roll: 8, no paralysis
Tyrogue uses Protect [4e]
Action 2: Cyborg uses Magic Coat [3e]
Tyrogue’s paralysis roll: 37, no para
Tyrogue uses Swagger, and fails (91) [3e]
Action 3: Cyborg uses Magic Coat [3e]
Tyrogue’s para roll: 56, no para
Tyrogue uses Swagger... and fails. (97) Again. Seriously. [3e]

Notes:
Pretty repetitive round, eh?
Cyborg is given orders
Tyrogue is given orders
I ref

Twiggy, honestly, what the hell. You shouldn't even have to do these twice, let alone trying to claim the messed up one too. Urgh. Honestly your demeanour with eRefs bothers me a lot - you look for any excuse to get them, and then half-ass them for the quick cash. You sure can do a mock well, but your actual performance is sloppy as all else. You really shouldn't be a ref, let alone advanced, if you're going to keep up like this - it's awful, novice mocks with more effort than many of these get rejected.

Ugh, I know it isn't quite my place, but still... sigh. Anyway, two eRefs on my end - One and Two.

Last edited:
Right, let's not use this thread to scold other referees; if you want to criticize Lars, please VM him or PM him or something rather than posting here.

I don't expect to be approved, but nothing bad comes from trying right?

Arena Description

2v2
One out at a time
DQ: 3 days
Restrictions: OHKO moves, no chills, No Perish Song
Damage Caps: N/A

Identical to the Mario Kart DS battle arena; battlers are situated on a giant Nintendo DS bearing the Pokémon Platinum start-up screen which is floating in the middle of space. It has its own atmosphere, making it possible to breathe, and the gravity is identical to Earth's.

Round ???

-PichuBoy- OO

Tyrogue
(N/A) Tyrogue (Male, Steadfast)
Commands: Protect / Swagger / Hi Jump Kick ~ Protect / Swagger / Hi Jump Kick ~ Protect / Swagger / Hi Jump Kick
Status: Satisfied now that he’s really in the game. (Paralyzed: 25% chance for full paralysis this turn, 15% next turn, Special Defense -1, Attack and Defense +1)

Gold Rush OO

Porygon
Energy: 78%
(Cyborg) Porygon (No Gender, Adaptability)
Commands: Psychic / Magic Coat ~ Tri Attack / Magic Coat ~ Tri Attack / Magic Coat

Tyrogue breathed heavily, casually scratching at one of his bandages. He stared across the screen at his opponent, Cyborg the Porygon. Cyborg had retained the same expression the entire battle, though it was hard not to without a mouth. He slowly began to move his limbs. No paralysis at the moment, but that was subject to change. Now, it was time to show the poor computer program. He quickly devised a heroic, far-fetched, and downright annoying story to brag about. Following that, he added a couple super powers to himself in the story. Feeling that the story was annoying enough, he began to recite it, while puffing out his chest and strutting ceremoniously around the right side of the DS. Not three seconds into the story Tyrogue felt that cold sensation of your limbs and muscles instantly freezing in place. Even his tongue was stopped. He managed to stay upright, though he was frozen in the action of punching an imaginary enemy. This made him appear to be a statue of a superhero.

Cyborg eyed the scene with a small bit of pity. He would have simply deflected the attack with a Magic Coat anyway, but not having the attack completed in the first place was a bit of overkill. Or was it the other way around? Cyborg pushed the thoughts from his mind and focused on the task at hand. Using his pre-programmed Psychic powers, Cyborg sent a wave of energy towards Tyrogue. The energy enveloped the Fighting-type in a purple aura that slightly blinded Tyrogue. Cyborg had full command over the energy, so he manipulated it in a way that it would lift Tyrogue into the air. After this had been achieved, Cyborg made the energy slam him against the centre of the DS screen, minimising the chance of the DS wobbling and shaking. This was repeated three times, before the energy melted away, leaving Tyrogue resting painfully above a pixelated Giratina. Cyborg was satisfied.

Health:

Tyrogue: No damage dealt
Cyborg: Psychic Base Power: 90, rounded down to 9%, -1 from anti STAB, -1 from being 1st evo of 3 evo chain, Damage Modifier: 1.5, 1.5 x 7 = 10.5 = 10, +1 from Tyrogue’s –1 Sp. Def. Tyrogue takes 11% damage

Energy:

Tyrogue: No energy loss
Cyborg: Psychic PP: 10 = 4%, +2 from Base Power = 90, +1 from being 1st evo of 3 evo chain, +1 from anti STAB, 8 x 1.2 (Adaptability) = 9.6 = 9. Cyborg loses 9% energy

Tyrogue slowly got up, aching from head to toe, both from the paralysis and the Psychic barrage that he had just endured. The Porygon looked smug, or at least as smug as a living polygonal computer program can look. Tyrogue grimaced as memories of him losing to a small seemingly harmless Marill came flooding back. He remembered the pain, the loss of dignity, and the look on the Marill’s face when he had won. But most of all he remembered the jeers of his fellow kind on the slopes of Mt. Mortar. He grudgingly pushed the memories out of his mind, and began to once again recite his story. He smiled as he realized the paralysis would not fully freeze him at the moment, but he was still slightly at a disadvantage. Halfway through his story, Tyrogue heard his own words bouncing back at him. Here and there things were changed, most specifically the name of the character being changed from “The almighty Tyrogue” to “The all-powerful Cyborg the Porygon”. Now frustrated, Tyrogue continued his story with much more vigour, adding more hand gestures and strutting faster. But still the story came back to him. Eventually he stopped, but he was confused unto where the copied story had come from.

While Tyrogue had been reciting an obviously fake story, Cyborg had simply activated his “firewall” application, surrounding him in a beautiful cloak. The covering shone with every colour of the rainbow. But it’s purpose was not to entrance the opponent with all of the “pretty colours”. It was meant to deflect status attacks and stat modifiers back towards the opponent. This meaning that as Tyrogue had droned on and on his story had been reflected by the coat and changed slightly so as to fill Tyrogue with rage, not to make him feel proud of himself. After the action was finished the humanoid Pokemon shivered with anger, making Cyborg feel that keeping his expression smug would anger the opponent more, instead of his expressionless face, which would have no effect on Tyrogue.

Health:

Tyrogue: No damage dealt
Cyborg: No damage dealt

Energy:

Tyrogue: Swagger PP: 15 = 3%, +2 from having to move while paralysed, +1 for added vigour. Tyrogue loses 6% energy
Cyborg: Magic Coat PP: 15 = 3%, +2 from having to sustain move for extended amount of time. Cyborg loses 5% energy

Cyborg was glad that he finally had the freedom of attacking ages before his opponent. He rose up above the surface of the DS so he had a better vantage point for shooting at Tyrogue. The Pokemon was staring at Cyborg intensely, appearing that he wished to bore holes in Cyborg’s body. Cyborg ignored him for the time being, deciding he would rather focus on his attack. In each of his forward facing edges, Cyborg summoned a different elemental power. In his left foot he summoned up electric currents. In his right, an icy blast. And at the edge of his head, he conjured a snake of flame. In unison he sent them spiralling towards Tyrogue’s form. The merciless attack exploded on impact with the small Pokemon’s body. The Fighting-Pokemon cringed as the pain spread through his body. He was lucky in that he was not afflicted by any status conditions. Cyborg slowly descended back down on to the DS.

Tyrogue was feeling horrible. He had not done anything yet to his opponent except giving him free target practice. And now his trainer was ordering him to once more recite his story. He didn’t know what the point of it was, but he could not disobey an order. Once again however, he was ill fated. He was quite dizzy from his confusion that had been afflicted earlier. So as he strutted towards the edge of the screen he tripped over the small raised area and landed hard on his jaw, ending his action. Cyborg watched the Pokemon on the verge of tears slowly drag itself back up, and couldn’t help but succumb once more to those waves of pity.

Health:

Tyrogue: Confuson Damage: 2%, +3 from Tyrogue’s +3 Atk. Tyrogue takes 5% damage
Porygon: Tri Attack Base Power: 80, rounded down to 8%, +2 from STAB, +2 from Adaptability, -1 from being 1st evo of 3 evo chain, +1 from Tyrogues –1 Sp. Def. Tyrogue takes 12% damage.

Energy:

Tyrogue: No energy loss
Porygon: Tri Attack PP: 10 = 4%, +2 from Base Power = 80, +1 from being 1st evo of 3 evo chain. Cyborg loses 7% energy

End of Round ???

-PichuBoy- OO

Tyrogue
Health: 46%
Energy: 77%
(N/A) Tyrogue (Male, Steadfast)
Status: MUST KILL! MUST KILL! (Paralyzed: 25% chance for full paralysis this turn, 15% next turn, Confused: 50% chance of hurting self this turn, 25% next turn, Special Defense -1, Attack and Defense +1)

Gold Rush OO

Porygon
Energy: 58%
(Cyborg) Porygon (No Gender, Adaptability)

Terrain Notes

-Nothing to note

Ref’s Notes

-I’m assuming I don’t have to post every single status / critical hit / whatever randomization
-Magic Coat did not reflect the attack boosts of Swagger, as they are not negative stat changes
-Gold Rush to order commands first
Sorry if I forgot something

EDIT: Just to clear it up, I always refer to genderless Pokemon as males out of habit in reffings.

Last edited:

OO
Tyrogue (M) <Steadfast>
Status: Satisfied now that he’s really in the game. (Paralyzed. 25% chance for full paralysis this turn, 15% next turn. Special Defense-1, Attack and Defense+1)

OO
Cyborg (X Porygon) <Adaptability>
Health 88%
Energy 78%

Tyrogue looked at the Porygon in front of him, which looked ready to attack. He put a solid barrier between them, just to make sure of protection. Cyborg reached with it’s mind, trying to grab hold of Tyrogue, but his mental tendrils couldn’t breach the invisible wall protecting the Tyrogue. First he wants to fight, and now he’s shying away.
Cyborg: [-7 Energy]
Tyrogue: [-7 Energy]
Well, two can play that game, thought Cyborg as he covered himself in a reflective coating, waiting for the opposing Pokémon to make his move. Instead of attacking, the Tyrogue decided a different tactic. “See this game, here?” He pointed down at the screen that they were on. “I bet I could beat you at it any day, or anyone. They’re all losers.” He strutted over to the raised platform labeled ‘A’ to demonstrate. However, as he looked over at the Porygon, he saw that he wasn’t being affected. Anger grew. How could Cyborg stay calm after the perfect bragging he had just preformed?
Cyborg [-6 Energy, +2 Attack]
Tyrogue [-4 Energy, Confused]
Tyrogue continued, even after Cyborg’s protection went away. “In fact, I bet I could beat you at anything, if I tried. Pick a game, and I could whip you.” Cyborg, beginning to get angry from his strutting, downloaded 3 different beams, mixed them together, and blasted them out. The Tyrogue was blasted a few feet, just before reaching the A button. “Ha, if I tried that, you would be in much worse condition than me.”
Tyrogue: [-4 Energy, -9 Health]
Cyborg: [Confused, + 2 attack, -6 Energy]
End of Round:
OO
Tyrogue (M) <Steadfast>
Health: 65%
Energy: 68%
Status: Confused (Strong), Paralyzed (15% chance for full paralysis this turn, 10% next turn) Special Defense -1, Attack +1, Defense +1 Feeling horrible after trying to brag.

OO
Cyborg (X Porygon) <Trace>
Health 88%
Energy 59%
Status: Confused, Attack +4, extremely angry at Tyrogue’s newfound attitude.

Notes
-Adaptability is not a Porygon Ability. Porygon-Z has this ability, but before, it is Trace.

Kammington

I don't understand why the first action transpired as it did; Tyrogue should not have responded to magic coat with protect, and Cyborg shouldn't have used magic coat anyway unless Tyrogue used swagger. On the whole your description is okay, although I found the hiccup thing very confusing until reading the explanation at the end. Minor nitpick, but on the third action it would make much more sense for Cyborg to simply wait and see what Tyrogue did rather than attempting to guess what its opponent would do--this is usually how attack priority plays out.

Tyrogue's energy is an obvious typo.

Mmm, I really don't like your handling of the first action. While it's unfair to penalize you for randomizer fail, the fact is that nothing really happened this round. There's not a lot to go on one way or another; not even anything damaging. Given more or less nothing but the description, I can only come back to the weirdness on the first action. That issue's what's really holding me back from approving you, although if more had gone on and you had handled that well it might have balanced things out. Not Approved

Heavy Lobster

You are correct; there's no need to post randomizer rolls, as doing so is quite pointless.

Overall, your description is pretty good. It gets rather belabored at some points, as though you're trying to make it longer; I would avoid trying to pad the round for the sake of padding it. You end up with stuff like the random bit about the marill at the beginning of the second action. It doesn't appear to add anything to the round at hand and only gets in the way of the actual action.

You keep using "turns" in the pokémon's final status text. Make it "actions" or "rounds." What happened to the swagger attack boost? I don't see it appearing on either pokémon in the post-round summary (you mentioned it in the damage tyrogue took from confusion earlier, so I'm guessing this is just a typo kind of mistake).

Your damage and energy calculations are mostly fine, but you seem a bit eager to add energy penalties to things--"moving around while paralyzed," "sustaining the attack over a long period of time," and so on. If you're going to do stuff like that, the penalty should almost never be more than 1%; 2% is the difference between a flamethrower and an overheat, after all--it's not an inconsequential amount, and if you frequently make those sorts of alterations they're going to add up quickly. 1% is generally

Not bad, really. You might try toning down the battle description a bit, and you do need to remember to keep actions and rounds straight, but other than that it's okay. Approved

Sage Noctowl

Your battle description is pretty good. However, why did Cyborg switch off magic coat and onto tri attack for the third action? If Tyrogue started swaggering again, it should simply have reflected the attack twice. I also have no idea what went on in the first action; maybe you thought psychic could cause confusion? It can't.

Magic coat reflects the entirety of an attack at the target, so Tyrogue should have gotten both the confusion *and* the stat boost.

For some reason you mention the strength of Cyborg's confusion, but not of Tyrogue's confusion. (You should make note of the strength, for the record.)

Damage and energy calculations are fine.

This would be a fine reffing if I understood why you interpreted the commands the way you did. As it is I don't see why you played out 2/3 of the actions the way that you did, so I'm not really confident of your ability to handle confusing conditionals very well--if that was even the issue. Not Approved

Paychecks

the reader a picture of what's going on, though.

Blastoise: 1 2 = $14
blazheirio889: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 = $117
Crazy Linoone: 1 = $7
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 4 5 6 = $78
Kusarigamaitachi: 1 2 3 = $39
Lars the Turtwig: 1 2 = $20
L'il Dwagie: 1 2 3 4 = $28
Metallica Fanboy: 1 2 3 4 5 = $50
Mike the Foxhog: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 = $130
Negrek: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 = $195
Scyther: 1 2 3 = $21

Last edited:
^Aww, DAMMIT. I had my mock reffing 75% complete! I though you gave the paychecks on Saturday?

EDIT: The same mock is still up there, does this mean if I put it up it can still be evaluated, or do I have to wait until the next mock goes up?

Last edited:
It looks like your post got chopped up and includes some extra stuff (steelix sig attribute?) there.

Before I go off and make an utter prat of myself trying out the mock battle, I've got a few questions? (Is this the place to ask them?)

1: How do you work out how badly, say, paralysis or confusion affects a Pokemon when they try to make a move? I've seen from other reffings that there's some sort of randomiser involved, but I'm not entirely sure...
2: There's no arena mentioned in the novice reffing. Does this have any bearing at all, or should I just ref it as though it were a plain field?
3: How long do I have to make up the mock ref? Just curious.

I seem to be getting paid for two of Metallica Fanboy's rounds here. Good as they are, I'd feel terrible taking credit for them :P

Also, this was left out.

Back
Top Bottom