• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Rock > Ice?!??!!

Kabigon

Yes We Can!! Obama Wins!
What. So I'm going through brycen's gym and I talk to the guide. He says blah blah fire, and fighting beat ice. Then he says ground and rock beat ice?

I've been playing Pokemon since the start and I do not remember this ever being mentioned. I don't use rock types like that and I think Roggenrola is the first type Ash has caught so I could understand that... but still, has this been in like, every game?!

Woah, I had no idea that was a thing. Kind of like how I learnt bug was supereffective to dark (what), like, last year.
why yes I am a great pokemon master how did you know

Yes, Rock and Steel have always been super-effective against Ice. They can break it easily, hence weakness.

Ground isn't, though, and if the Gym guide is saying that, he's wrong.

Woah, I had no idea that was a thing. Kind of like how I learnt bug was supereffective to dark (what), like, last year.
why yes I am a great pokemon master how did you know

I only learned Rock was super effective on Bug a couple years ago despite having the type chart down some time before that haha.

Ash has never used a Rock type before so I have never heard that from the anime and a lot of Rock tpes are part ground so I would never try to switch in with them because they always had a super effective move. I understand why I missed this but it still doesn't make it any more believable.

There are reasons Ice is considered to be the worst defensive type in the game, and at the fore of reasoning are its weaknesses to Rock (in which it has been since generation 1) and Fighting. See also: Stealth Rock.

Also, Clyde never claimed Ice is weak to Ground: "Please take this Fresh Water! Ice can be melted with Fire or shattered with Fighting. Or you might want to smash it into dust with Rock or Steel."

Throw a rock at a chunk of ice. See which one breaks. ;)

The ground < ice is probably because of how snow easily covers the ground during winter or some other reason that makes sense.

But whoa, bug > dark? I thought it was only fighting that could beat dark. which is just silly, considering it's much too hard to fight in the dark and how could you even fight something that you can't even touch? It's darkness, it's only there because of no light

You guys are weird. >:/ How can you not have studied the type chart in excruciating detail and internalized it to the point that bugs beating darkness seems to make total sense?!

Granted, there are a couple of uncommon resistances I still look up to be absolutely sure (Poison against Ghost, etc.), but I don't think I could forget what's weak to what if I tried.

The reason ice beats ground is because when water in the ground freezes, it can be caused to crack. It works the same way with rocks, but the thing Pinkamena said about throwing a rock at ice makes more sense.

You guys are weird. >:/ How can you not have studied the type chart in excruciating detail and internalized it to the point that bugs beating darkness seems to make total sense?!

I, for one, don't bother to look up type charts; I figured the whole thing out from my first file in Pearl version. there's enough variety of pokemon that you can actually find type weknesses without trying. the other thing was that I sort of innately knew all the stuff that made sense: flying is weak to ice because it's too cold to fly, for example. Of course, I figured out the more obscure ones because I would always fall back on my luxray to counter anything that super-effective'd my Infernape: I used Spark on one of the Staravias on Cycling Road, for example.

So, have I out-wierded everyone yet? I found out the stuff with EXPERIMENTATION. When I was EIGHT.:sunglasses:

^ I think that's generally how most of us old people did it too when R/B first came out - I never had a fancy internet typechart to look at and I learned the type matchups pretty well, as screwy as they were in R/B, and I was 7, sooo.

However, when the internet happened I think we just decided it was easier to look it up and memorize it with the G/S changes to the chart. So no, that's not gonna weird most people out. Sorry dude.

Meh. I wasn't especially trying to wierd people out. I didn't really know what the internet was at the time that I figured out the type chart.

Poison's ineffectiveness against ghost is due to, how are you supposed to affect the undead with a poison?

Granted, there are a couple of uncommon resistances I still look up to be absolutely sure (Poison against Ghost, etc.), but I don't think I could forget what's weak to what if I tried.
well I mean I guess I only remember stuff that I actually use, and I don't remember really using bug- or rock- types until BW really. I've had dark-types before, but I mean how often are bug type pokemon actually a threat before BW or (I guess) DPPt?

Also I have never understood the division between ground and rock. They're the ~same thing~.

Poison's ineffectiveness against ghost is due to, how are you supposed to affect the undead with a poison?

uh, no? Poison effects it, Ghost just resists it. The way you worded it, it's like you meant immune. >>

Anyway, I never got how Dragons are weak to Ice...

EDIT: uv, they're not the ~same thing~. Rocks are thinks you chuck at birds and bugs, and Ground is the thing we walk on, unless you are Charlie Sheen and all the drugs you take causes you to walk on air.

But whoa, bug > dark? I thought it was only fighting that could beat dark. which is just silly, considering it's much too hard to fight in the dark and how could you even fight something that you can't even touch? It's darkness, it's only there because of no light

These are my headcanon explanations.

Bug > Dark: Many insects are nocturnal and are thus more active in the dark.
Fighting > Dark: Okay, look at some of the Dark-type moves. Taunt. Torment. Flatter. Fake Tears. Foul Play. All these involve attempting to toy with your opponent's mental state. (Not mind-waves, though - that's Psychic.) Fighting beats Dark because how do you counter mind games in combat? By beating the living hell out of the other guy.

Back
Top Bottom