• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Who doesn't like Animal Crossing? - A Rumination on Roleplaying

sovram

Arrogant
Pronoun
any
I've been out of the "roleplay groove" for quite some time. It seems to be a forum dominated by the younger members of the forum (that's how it was when I was a neophyte), which I don't really have an explanation for. By no means do I see it as something just for younger members, and so I wonder why people around my age don't participate. Do they not have enough time? Are they intimidated by the thought of commitment to a fast-moving, goal-oriented roleplay? I know I certainly am. I also don't have huge amounts of time to devote to something like that.

So I'm playing with the idea of starting an extremely casual, player-driven (rather than GM-driven) roleplay - and without going ~Original~, Animal Crossing seems like the perfect series for something like that. There'd be an in-universe calendar, such that the players would be able to experience holidays and changing seasons, but at a pace that'd be accessible to everyone.

I feel like it'd be an excellent opportunity to work on character development and writing skills in general. You can have a brief chat with your neighbor about the weather before you head off to the beach to recline with some of your best buds. You could lurk in the local coffee shop, talking to your sleepy companion about your fascination with Romantic-era literature (as they nod their head and brood upon some other subject entirely, unbeknownst to you). Challenge someone to a fishing contest, and write about how the rustling of the leaves in the trees around you and the quiet babbling of the brook fills you with a peace like none other.

I think there'd be the option to be either a human or an animal, and I don't see why you couldn't have multiple characters, creating a huge and creatively inspired community in which to enjoy a simple life.

Eh. What do people think about that?

I've been out of the "roleplay groove" for quite some time. It seems to be a forum dominated by the younger members of the forum (that's how it was when I was a neophyte), which I don't really have an explanation for. By no means do I see it as something just for younger members, and so I wonder why people around my age don't participate. Do they not have enough time? Are they intimidated by the thought of commitment to a fast-moving, goal-oriented roleplay? I know I certainly am. I also don't have huge amounts of time to devote to something like that.

would think, in great part, it's self-fulfilling.

(no comment on all the other things)

It's a cool idea and I'd def be in, but it seems like you're planning a long lasting-ish RP and I remember RPs dying pretty quickly around here. Give it a go though, a few have stuck around a while and this could be one of them? :0

Yes echoing this is a very cool idea

Dragon's right about RPs here not tending to last, though; I can't think of anything in particular that's helped with that. (It can't be helped, probably.) It's still worth doing, of course!

this sounds like a really cute little idea!! would it need a few people to actively organise it a bit, though? maybe it would be hard to get it going, or maybe not - either way, it seems like something which could sort of get itself going with minimal structure.

the difference between this and most "long-lasting" RP attempts is that a casual atmosphere doesn't really tend to suit most of those ideas. but here, as long as there are a few people tinkering with their characters, I think it would be okay. also, the idea of it flourishing or proceeding quietly just sounds like a way that suits animal crossing towns, ehehe.

I stopped roleplaying completely a while back, but this sounds fun and light-hearted and quaint. and I want to write a little bit, lately. thanks for putting out the idea!! :o

this sounds cool! main reason why i don't roleplay anymore is because i have real trouble committing to things like that long-term (for example, stonewall if anyone remembers that). I'd like to play but haha i've only played about ten minutes of animal crossing. :c

uv it's okay you could still write about being a cutie patoot of an animal wandering around town with only having played ten minutes :o

I want #tcod to just be an animal crossing town anyway, and this would probably be the closest thing to that...... perhaps sovram is the most intuitive.

uv it's okay you could still write about being a cutie patoot of an animal wandering around town with only having played ten minutes :o

I want #tcod to just be an animal crossing town anyway, and this would probably be the closest thing to that...... perhaps sovram is the most intuitive.

oh man now i want to draw all of #tcod as animal crossing characters !! :3

I'm really happy to see such a positive reaction from everyone (except for you res ... hrml).

Cirrus, if you're interested, you could help me organize it. Any volunteers would be great (especially since I don't have oodles of spare time).

this is really interesting sovram. defiantly be a bit tougher to have it as a player-driven roleplay, but it can and has been done before. good idea, (repeats everything already said), etc. :3

Cirrus, if you're interested, you could help me organize it. Any volunteers would be great (especially since I don't have oodles of spare time).

I think I might! I feel like the most important things would be, idk, descriptions of things and marking out boundaries? but at the same time, I'm fond of the idea of people just sort of describing whatever they want as they go, so the more people are on board, the more interestingly things could develop.

the cool thing about the calendar is that we could just sketch out a few weeks of happening and then keep adding to it as it goes! maybe.

I think I might! I feel like the most important things would be, idk, descriptions of things and marking out boundaries? but at the same time, I'm fond of the idea of people just sort of describing whatever they want as they go, so the more people are on board, the more interestingly things could develop.

Excellent! Yes, when I was thinking about logistics yesterday, my thoughts were mainly on the town map. I think actually having a map would just be too much trouble; people who wanted to start would have to apply to have the map changed ... so it may be easiest just to have people doing whatever.

Though, what might be interesting, is to have a map just showing buildings (like houses and the town hall and the museum etc), and have people apply to move into houses. So you'd have roommates who are other players. Anyway, that might be something we consider.

the cool thing about the calendar is that we could just sketch out a few weeks of happening and then keep adding to it as it goes! maybe.

Exactly! I think that'd be perfect. It's what I had in mind. We could come up with all sorts of cool events! And maybe Town Mayor could be a position that cycles out between players, so everyone has a chance to arrange town events!

I would also like to volunteer if you need help! :o I could make a map or something maybe!

I would also like to volunteer if you need help! :o I could make a map or something maybe!

That would be great! We'll be in touch.

Actually, if you and Cirrus are generally in #tcod, I can start hanging around (though it'll usually be in the evenings, 17:00 - 22:00 CST).

Back
Top Bottom