• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Copied sprites have black backgrounds

...Why must everybody attack paint?

I could not, for the life of me, use GIMP. Yeah, I couldn't figure it out.

And paint, although very stripped down, is quite usable once you get the hang of it

I don't see what's wrong with paint. It's got everything you need to make a sprite except transparency, which you can fix in any other image editor anyway. Paint isn't bad. It's just simple and much, much faster to load than GIMP/Photoshop.

I just Print Screen for sprites myself.

Gimp is free!?
Yes. For every overpriced commercial software (Photoshop) there is always at least one free open-source alternative that is better in every way.

ultraviolet said:
I don't see what's wrong with paint. It's got everything you need to make a sprite except transparency, which you can fix in any other image editor anyway. Paint isn't bad. It's just simple and much, much faster to load than GIMP/Photoshop.

I just Print Screen for sprites myself.
jesus what the fuck
there are so many things wrong with that post I don't know where to start

Paint is fine for spriting, especially if you're doing it to get your mind off something, or just for general fun. Of course, you can use a tool that may seem complicated at first to make it "easier," but the thing is, if you're used to using a tool, such as a Paint, to do your spriting work, then what's the problem?

I use Paint for my sprite work, it's quick, easy, I don't have to worry about the all the layer options. Spriting is simple, paint is simple. Using Paint isn't "wrong," if you're doing it for just general sprite work. Of course, you can use other programs, but all "new" programs require some kind of learning curve, and if I already know how to pull off an effect without the tool, regardless if it's faster with the tool, I'm most likely going to take the longer way, the way I learned how to do it. Spriting isn't our job, so it's not like we all have deadlines, and have to get something done on a specific date anyways.

There isn't a point to bullying a member to stop using a tool that he or she is used to using. You'll just come off looking like an ass anyways. Besides, I've never got a complaint for my work because I've used "Paint," and I've never heard of people telling me that I was "wrong" for doing so. It's perfectly fine.

Yes. For every overpriced commercial software (Photoshop) there is always at least one free open-source alternative that is better in every way.

Actually Photoshop is generally regarded as more powerful than the GIMP, at least last I checked.

And video editing appears to be the exception to this rule.

Although I haven't been spriting much lately, I find layers and layer masks considerably useful, primarily if I'm trying to get the right shade of [colour]. It's also good for keeping the outlines separate from everything else. Sure, you can sprite in MSPaint, but I don't really see why you would. I was spriting mainly in MSPaint for a while, mainly because I didn't know how to use GIMP, but it's easier to... not.

Also you can actually keep your palette available between sessions without having it on your sprite.

Urgh, I have issues with paint.
Which is why i'm going to buy photoshop or some awsomer program for working with pictures.
I have some pics i want to fix up that i scanned into paint, and i found out that paint sucks, because if you want to do anything it takes F.O.R.E.V.E.R.

If you are saving the sprites, then the colors get slightly altered, at least for me. I don't know why. Like everyone said, print screening is your best friend when that black box appears.

And, whats wrong with paint? I have gimp (downloaded it to make animations) and yet, complexicated things aren't just my thing. Paint is easy to work with, and is free to boot. Also, I couldn't figure out the animation thing, even with guides. So I downloaded a simpler program that gets the job done. And, uh, screw transparency I don't need special tools.

Last edited:
I could not, for the life of me, use GIMP. Yeah, I couldn't figure it out.
If only you knew of a forum with artist sections and people very familiar with using GIMP

Gimp is free!?
GIMP is beyond free

Fingerpaints also have everything you need to make beautiful works of art, and a pen and paper is all you need for most calculations. Yet we went ahead and invented, you know, better technology.

Paint doesn't have layers.
Paint doesn't have anything resembling a sane color picker.
Paint doesn't support indexing.
Paint doesn't support opacity.
Paint's resizing sucks.
Paint's undo history sucks.
Paint doesn't let you pick any save options at all. It is, in fact, impossible to create an indexed PNG with Paint.
Paint doesn't have selection masks or layer masks.
Paint doesn't have brushes.
I need not go on.

You could go learn to use this tools and have remarkably more options available to you, or you could continue bashing rocks together, using some multitude of ancillary programs to make up for your editor's pathetic toolset, and expecting everyone else to figure out how to help you when you can't do something.

er, no

GIMP doesn't even support CMYK or 16-bit color; it is all you need if you are doing casual image/sprite/banner/photo editing, but if you are a professional it is lacking a few semi-critical things

2.6 is supposed to be better in this regard though

Paint is fine for spriting, especially if you're doing it to get your mind off something, or just for general fun. Of course, you can use a tool that may seem complicated at first to make it "easier," but the thing is, if you're used to using a tool, such as a Paint, to do your spriting work, then what's the problem?
the problem is when people come ask for help, reveal they are using Paint and whatever other hodge-podge of crap to work around it, and then reject simple solutions that are not possible in Paint

also one of my hats is geek pedant. I am prometheus here to give you the gift of fire and all I get is "no thanks sitting on stuff until it's warm is working out fine". is it really hard to understand why gross inefficiency would annoy the everloving piss out of someone whose entire life is devoted to fighting it

I use Paint for my sprite work, it's quick, easy, I don't have to worry about the all the layer options.
you don't have to worry about layer options in any editor if you don't want to

if I already know how to pull off an effect without the tool, regardless if it's faster with the tool, I'm most likely going to take the longer way, the way I learned how to do it.
yes I am familiar with this
it is a common rule of UI
it is also really stupid

Besides, I've never got a complaint for my work because I've used "Paint," and I've never heard of people telling me that I was "wrong" for doing so. It's perfectly fine.
you are wrong

there

also here is a complaint: your sprites are all wasting space and bandwidth

And, whats wrong with paint? I have gimp (downloaded it to make animations) and yet, complexicated things aren't just my thing. Paint is easy to work with, and is free to boot.
GIMP is fairly intuitive imo and more free than Paint

Also, I couldn't figure out the animation thing, even with guides. So I downloaded a simpler program that gets the job done. And, uh, look for an edit.
admittedly GIMP is not designed for animation and its implementation is a total hack but it is not that difficult; just save an image with multiple layers as a gif and it will ask what you want to do

and holy christ people if you have problems with something I am advocating then ask

Back
Top Bottom