• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Just started playing the card game again

A Spark in the Night

< Is that a Calumon?
Wow, I haven't posted here in literally forever. Anywho, I don't know if this goes here but I just started playing the TCG again with a friend from school, and I was hoping I could get some opinions on my deck. Keep in mind all of these cards are from like almost 10 years ago and I had a hard time coming up with a deck.

Charmander x4
Charmeleon x3
Charizard x2
Growlithe x3
Arcanine x2
Pikachu x3
Raichu x2
Electabuzz x1
Fire Energy x5
Electric Energy x8
Energy Search
Professor Oak
Super Rod
Pokemon Breeder
Plus Power
Gust of Wind x2
Energy Retrieval x2
Recycle
Professor Elm's Training Method
Poke Ball x2
Bill x2
Energy Search
Energy Ark
Energy Removal
Life Herb
Energy Charge
Bill's Maintenance
Super Potion
Switch

Any comments welcomed!

Put some more Pokémon there. Put in a wee bit more Electric, maybe some Colorless. If Fire is your main force, put some more Fire Energy. Btw, your deck can decimate mine if it were a little better constructed.

I was thinking about maybe putting in another fire energy, but my two charizards both have the ability to make any energy a fire energy. If i can find anything decent I might add an electric type maybe.

I was thinking about maybe putting in another fire energy, but my two charizards both have the ability to make any energy a fire energy. If i can find anything decent I might add an electric type maybe.

The best way to judge whether you have enough / too few / too many Energy cards is just to play; but I can tell you that 13 Energy cards is almost certainly too few, especially in a Fire deck. Almost all Fire Pokemon cards have attacks that discard energy, and being able to change foreign energy into Fire energy doesn't do jack squat good if you don't have any energy left to change.

I'm not familiar with many of your Trainer cards (I only know the ones programmed into the Pokemon TCG video game) but I would say cut some of them and maybe even a Pokemon or two, and try to get around 20 Energy.

If you decide to tinker with your Pokemon, I would say cut one copy of each member of one of the non-Charmander families* and add in a few Colorless Pokemon; if you have 'em, Rattata are absolute beasts in the early game (don't even bother with Raticate).

*(If you want to keep more Lightning Energy than Fire, cut a Growlithe and an Arcanine. If you put more Fire Energy in, cut a Pikachu and a Raichu. Remember that Charizard only changes foreign Energy into Fire Energy while it's attached to him, so if you haven't been able to evolve your Charmander/meleon yet you'll need more Fire Energy or fewer Fire Pokemon.)

Thanks for that! I swear this is one of the few places on the internet where you can get an actual response to a question.

Basically here's the deal. I have five cards in my deck that potentially require me to discard energy.

Charizard(1): I flip two coins and for each tails, discard 2 energy.
Charizard(2): Discard 2 energy.
Arcanine:One fire energy to use flamethrower.

Lt. Surge's Electabuzz: First of all, it knows charge, which allows me to take two lightning energies from my discard pile and attach them. Then discharge reququires me to discard all energy, flip a coin for each one, and it does 30x the number of heads.

Raichu: Discard all energy in order to use thunderbolt.

I also have 4 trainer cards (and Electabuzz) that allow me to regain 7-9 energies from my discard pile. I also have 5 more trainers that allow me to search my deck for a total of 4-6 more energies.

With all this considered, I think i need a few more energies. But how many? Do you still think I need 20 even with those trainers?

Ah, the memories those cards bring...
Anyways, with all of those I would personally add more than usual, maybe 25? Energies are important. If that's the charizard I think it is, than... Well, I haven't played in ages. So I can't remember. But I think there's something important there.

Super rod is "Flip a coin. If heads, put an Evolution card from your discard pile, if any, into your hand. If tails, put a Basic Pokemon card from your discard pile, if any, into your hand.

By the way, do you have any Wally's Training? Those are useful, and I think that they're from some of the same sets those are in.

No, Wally's Training'd be after WotC stopped printing them, and those look like Neo Discovery at the latest.

Nah no Wallys. The charmanders, charmeleon, growlithe, arcanine and a few of the trainers are from the Fire Red deck. Everything else is pretty much from like, the original sets. Gust of Wind switches your opponents active Pokemon.

Back
Top Bottom