• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Which Eifie Throws Herself off Buildings for Fun

Eifie

oh man, good times.
Pronoun
she/her
Hi tcodf! Guess what! I'm going to throw myself off a 17-story building in support of youth with physical disabilities! :O

Well, I'm gonna rappel down the side of it, anyway. There's this really cool event called The Drop Zone by Easter Seals Canada, which is an organization devoted to giving opportunities to kids with disabilities across the country. Aside from stuff like helping provide mobility devices and other stuff to families that need them, they hold these really cool camps for these kids including, among other things, the only fully-accessible high ropes course on the continent, apparently. It's super super cool.

AND if I manage to fundraise $1500 by September 29th, I get to rappel down the side of a 17-story building wearing a badass superhero costume! How awesome is that?! You know you want me to recklessly throw myself off a building. Don't you?!

If you happen to want to toss me a dollar, either to help out Easter Seals or just so that I will, in fact, end up wetting myself in terror from 17 stories up, my donation page is here. Or just wish me luck throwing myself off a building! That is appreciated :O If I make it to the rappeling part, there will hopefully be pictures of me bawling my eyes out in my Black Widow costume or whatever.

Oh my god, I'm so excited. Be excited with me.

what on earth have I gotten myself into

(also hehe I feel like I should make clear that I don't really expect many actual donations, mostly just be excited with me/terrified for me/excited for my terror, idk)

Last edited:
That's awesome (both the cause and your good news)! Rappeling is fun, although I've never done it from quite that height, haha. one time was off a building, though... a one-story building hurdurr

Good luck! :D

I WANNA DO THIS SOMETIME

I KNOW RIGHT

That's awesome (both the cause and your good news)! Rappeling is fun, although I've never done it from quite that height, haha. one time was off a building, though... a one-story building hurdurr

Good luck! :D

Thanks! :D I have never rapelled before in my life. I'm so stoked.

In other news, I reached $500 today! :O And my dad hasn't even donated yet, so later I might have, like, $501. Rejoice!

Wow, this looks really cool and fun! I'm simultaneously excited and terrified for you. Will there be a recording or something like that of the rappelling?

I thought I would give an update! I have officially raised $995, with an additional pledge of about $300 that will be actually donated soon, so I think I will be able to actually do it! :D My workplace was unable to sponsor me directly, but they said they would help me hold some sort of fundraising event. I couldn't get any help from the YMCA or anything to do something cool and relevant like wheelchair basketball though (a bunch of the employees are basketball fans), so that didn't work out. But maybe I do not need their help!

Also, apparently Easter Seals was having some early bird prize draw for everyone who has already raised $500. I didn't realize this was happening until they emailed me to say I'd won. The prize is a gift certificate for this site that aggregates a bunch of cool adventure experience stuff around Canada, and it covers enough to let me and Dragon go on an awesome rappeling and ziplining adventure in some random corner of Ontario for very cheap! :D :D So excited.

This is pretty fucking awesome

especially when you get a bundle of cool prizes for it

might be able to throw in twenty bucks or so as soon as I receive my paycheck

Another update! A few days ago I reached my fundraising goal! I can't believe I actually managed to raise a whole $1500! (Also, I can't believe that I am actually going to rappel down a 17-story building. Nice.)

Sooo, the event was postponed yesterday because of thunderstorm warnings for a storm that never actually happened, so I will be jumping off the building today! (Also, it turns out that it is 20+ stories, and it's only technically 17 stories for some reason I've forgotten.) It is just under (or over?) T minus 3 hours. Hopefully I will be alive to tell the tale in three and a half hours, otherwise Easter Seals is going to be getting some bad publicity :p

And so the day comes to a close and I have avoided meeting the same fate as Eta Carinae's poor Growlithe, and for now all I have to show for it is a shit-ton of free stuff and this horrible photo of a photo (warning: photo of (a photo of) me looking like a derp). I also have a video, so if you really wanna see it you can ask me; it looks very boring from the ground imo, but at least I made good time (only 5 minutes) and you get to hear the announcer going on about my "obviously INCREDIBLE upper body strength" and "GOOD FORM! GOOD FORM" half a second before I lose control and go flailing around in the air a second time. :p

But I did it!!! omg I really want to do it again next year but I have no idea how I'm going to manage to raise $1500 again. And the especially humbling part is that that $1500 I worked so hard to raise is only half of a yearly grant to one family to help them afford mobility devices and stuff. I hope I will be able to help more next year! Thanks tcodf for wishing me luck and lack of untimely shattering of bones!!!

omg so I've posted in this so many times but all the pictures finally went up on flickr (there are about 9 photos of me IN ACTION there if you feel like looking, also a grown man dressed as Tinkerbell. Eta Carinae the album has been updated with like 600 more photos lmao) and you have got to see this photo of the instant I dropped off the edge of the roof. the look on my face as I gaze down upon my doom is just too perfect.

12115989_10205218399161555_6629124000789006204_n.jpg

this will be the last post I swear

Back
Top Bottom