• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

But then what if you wanted an Electroweb conditional? :( You know, I really think the Choice Band would just suck all the strategy out of the whole thing.

If the opponent's holding a berry, you could inflict 29% damage in one round of brute force! You know, there may be hope for little critters everywhere yet.

But we can do better!

Base damage 6%. With opponent holding a berry, doubles to 12%. 13% with STAB. 20% if it crits. 22% with Silver Powder. Ignoring the berry bonus for the last two actions, that's 15% with STAB, crit and Silver Powder. All told, that's a grand total (technical) potential damage of 52% per round!

Screw it, I'm selling my whole squad and getting an army of Wurmple. I'll be unstoppable.

You could also don some Choice Specs (way cooler than a Choice Band, anyway) and keep using Electroweb. Bury your opponent in masses of electrified silk! They'll be too busy convulsing to escape.

Whoa whoa whoa, don't you go underestimating my baby bugs, man. When the opponent's holding a berry, it's 15% with STAB - don't go neglecting the 2%!

In all seriousness, I'm going to get myself a little mini Vermiculate Monsoon after my tournament battle and challenge someone to a mini bug battle. Both start with 30% health and energy, or something. ASB Awards best battle for sure.

edit: better idea: bring back that sixteen-man ball pit battle, baby bug version omg too cute.

In all seriousness, I'm going to get myself a little mini Vermiculate Monsoon after my tournament battle and challenge someone to a mini bug battle. Both start with 30% health and energy, or something. ASB Awards best battle for sure.

I... I kind of want to be a part of this.

Could we change Leech Seed so you can initially have it be an energy parasite, rather than a health one? I think all of the other draining moves allow for either to be absorbed, so I don't see why it couldn't be commanded that way as well. You could have it so once the move has been executed it's locked on to either health or energy. If so, could you "stack" Leech Seed, having one Pokemon losing energy and health?

Could we change Leech Seed so you can initially have it be an energy parasite, rather than a health one? I think all of the other draining moves allow for either to be absorbed, so I don't see why it couldn't be commanded that way as well. You could have it so once the move has been executed it's locked on to either health or energy. If so, could you "stack" Leech Seed, having one Pokemon losing energy and health?

Since no one else has gotten to this yet: as per a previous ruling, yes, you can have Leech Seed target energy. I'll edit that into the description.

As for the "stacking", highly doubt it. There's not much physically different about having one seed targeting health and one targeting energy, and just having two seeds targeting health (or energy), which you can't do. Don't take my word for it, though.

Do bought evolutions no longer get exp? They used to. Without the rare candy machine it's not like there's a drawback to it either.

In any case, it's still easier to get exp on a not-battle-ready pokemon than happiness, but happiness is usually on babies and also with the 4 happiness requirement, it'll almost always require two battles even with soothe bell unless you can micromanage KOs in double battles by having a baby land the finishing blow. So, to differentiate it from exp a bit, how about letting KO happiness work the way KO exp used to? That is, enemies that faint while the pokemon was on the field all grant KO happiness, but only landing the finishing blow gets you KO exp. It even sort of makes sense flavour-wise because why wouldn't a pokemon get as much happier from seeing an enemy faint as it would causing the KO itself, especially if it was its own teammate causing the KO? This isn't particularly abuseable because happiness only affects those evolutions, and possibly return.

Incidentally, I don't care if return/frustration are based off happiness or current mood in battle, but they should have symmetry, and they currently don't.

(And, er, the lucky egg and soothe bell were fixed rather quickly after the associated suggestions were made, but how is the exp share thing going?)

Bought evolutions don't get exp. That wasn't my change, either; Negrek changed that at some point, presumably when exp started affecting damage.

The problem with granting happiness for KOs seen would be that the database calculates exp and happiness from number of KOs when you close a battle. I think it would make more sense just to vary the happiness requirements a bit? Babies could go down to 3; Crobat, Blissey, and Manternel could go up a bit; Buneary can go up a bit for flavour reasons (it starts at 0 happiness in-game) and because Buneary kicks ass.

I also changed Return back a few days ago; the happiness-based summary was my mistake.

EDIT: The Exp Share thing is coming... soon? Probably? I forget what we decided on and I've been painting my room for the last week, which has eaten a bunch of time and left me without a proper computer, so I haven't had time to implement it in the Database anyway.

Should String Shot be updated to lower Speed by 2 stages? (I'd just edit the description myself, but Zhorken'll need to edit the base energy as well.)

Acrobatics has its base energy cost listed as 7%, which makes sense for the 110 bp version... but the original base damage is listed as 5% which is incongruous with the listed base energy. Probably should be treated like most other moves that double in base power and energy if triggered by something... although those are kind of inconsistent; avalanche is stated to double in base energy cost under the conditions that double its power, but payback isn't, for example.

Oh, I was thinking all the caterpillars and stuff should be knocked way down, like 1 exp for Metapod and 2 exp for Butterfree, 'cause as it stands paying for those evos isn't really an alternative. On the other hand, the resulting Caterpie-vs-Wurmple battles probably wouldn't be the most interesting things to ref... but they'd be quick and simple, I guess, so idk.
Would having things you pay to evolve capping at 50% health and energy as a standard thing be a good idea or not? Then your caterpie vs wurmple at least are guaranteed to die quickly.

Why was amulet coin nerfed? I know you probably want to not have everyone do 1v1 singles but it's not like amulet coin's been abused a lot. It used to be a $3 increase but is now winnings*1.3, so if you do the number-crunching... now, the winner of a 1v1 would get $2 extra while the loser gets $1. You'd need to win a 2v2 or lose a 3v3 to get as much or more than what amulet coin would've given you otherwise; winning a 2v2 only gets you $2 more and losing a 3v3 only gets you $1 more, though.

If money always rounds up then winning a 1v1 or losing a 2v2 means you're on par with how amulet coin used to be, and you can lose a 1v1 for $2. Still not great though.

It's not nerfed. Most battles aren't 1 vs 1, usually you're playing with multiple pokemon. So you're getting $10 (+2) for one poke, $20 (+4) for two pokes, $31 (+7) for 3; loser gets the same but starting at $5. This way your earnings are more.

Does money always round down then? In that case, relative to the original $3 boost, winner of a 1v1 gets -1, winner of a 2v2 gets +1, winner of a 3v3 gets +4; loser of a 1v1 gets -2, loser of a 2v2 gets -1, loser of a 3v3 gets 0.

If it rounds normally, winner of a 1v1 gets -1, winner of a 2v2 gets +2, winner of a 3v3 gets +4; loser of a 1v1 gets -2, loser of a 2v2 gets -1, loser of a 3v3 gets +1.

If it rounds up, winner of a 1v1 gets 0, winner of a 2v2 gets +2, winner of a 3v3 gets +5; loser of a 1v1 gets -1, loser of a 2v2 gets 0, loser of a 3v3 gets +1.

For the loser, this assumes that your opponent has actually used all of their pokemon - if they sweep you in a 3v3 with one pokemon, that's still you getting rewards as though you lost a 1v1.

Basically, if you lose then you're either losing out, or after a relatively long battle only getting a small boost which doesn't make up for those who lose smaller battles. I think the people who could make the most use of amulet coin are the people who can't be sure of their win in the first place.

I don't mind making it based on the number of pokemon the battle had, but it'd be better to be a flat amount for each pokemon used, I think. Like $2 per pokemon is flat-out better for everyone not in a 1v1. And it's closer to what your vision seems to be going by your own post - +2 for one mon, +4 for two, +6 for three in this case.

Last edited:
So, hustle increases power by 1.2× but accuracy is 0.8× (for a 100% accuracy move, since it's a flat drop; it's worse for lower accuracy moves). That makes the average effect of a move (over several uses) to be 0.96× the average damage because of how often it misses. Some abilities like defeatist and truant are obviously awful but they're meant to be nerfs ingame, while hustle isn't quite in that category. It should be increased to 1.5× base power. That turns the average damage into 1.2×, which is similar to other abilities, so it's a good ballpark for the ability.

If you think that's too strong, then the accuracy drop should be lowered to balance out a lower power boost. With 1.3× base power and 0.9× accuracy, it balances out to 1.17× average damage, which is close enough and doesn't make a single attack half again as strong. 1.3× is also a commonly found boost in abilities so it's obviously not gamebreaking or anything.

Back
Top Bottom