• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Alliances Mafia: An Experimental Alternate Mafia

That's actually kind of my intention! Sort of like how you and I were an obvious team in Username Mafia, I think it'd be an interesting twist to be like "is this person on the same alliance as everyone who voted for x player... or are they doing it for their own alliance/benefit?" If a lot of people agree, though, I'll make it secret votes.

I'm not sure how it would work otherwise. If you were part of team X and a spy in team Y, then the other people in Y would be able to tell based on your voting record. But if the votes are secret, then we are free to be traitorous, manipulative bastards :D

Alright then, secret votes it is. (Dunno why I didn't think of that.) Is that allowing discussion in the day thread but voting secretly or no discussion at all?

Well, since selfish is a purely negative trait, this would make selfish players have at least SOME advantage over non-selfish ones.

...still your game, still your choice.

Yeah, but I... don't really see how that would work. Maybe the selfish players could be one-shot bulletproof, or something?

Agreeing with secret votes; otherwise, there might be a problem with it mostly being a popularity contest. (Although maybe I'm worrying over nothing?)

First of all can I say this is brilliant. In fact, it's a bit like an idea I was starting to toy around with for the sequel to an upcoming mafia game, but I'll keep that under wraps for now.

Secret votes and day discussion both seem like a good idea. One suggestion is to maybe put a limit on how many times you can change alliances? I dunno, I just see people jumping around constantly from boat to boat whenever they feel the slightest bit of sinking. Also, how are you planning at this point to determine hit priority? RNG? And then, are you going to give these priority numbers to the killers as leverage info/ gambit material?

Well, since selfish is a purely negative trait, this would make selfish players have at least SOME advantage over non-selfish ones.

Thing is though the selfish players and the non-selfish are supposed to be on legitimately equal terms. It's very easy to hide the selfish trait, so I figured special treatment wasn't necessary. If people do feel like selfish players have an unfair disadvantage I might go with one-hit bulletproof though.

Secret votes and day discussion both seem like a good idea. One suggestion is to maybe put a limit on how many times you can change alliances? I dunno, I just see people jumping around constantly from boat to boat whenever they feel the slightest bit of sinking.

Agreed. Will determine once I see how many people are playing.

Also, how are you planning at this point to determine hit priority? RNG? And then, are you going to give these priority numbers to the killers as leverage info/ gambit material?

Where is priority involved...? As far as I'm aware nothing in my plans so far requires priority...

It seems like an alliance with a bunch of healers and even just one killer would be horribly overpowered. I just don't think two roles works. I can see how you're trying to balance it with the selfish people, etc. but I'm afraid it'll just be a repeat of TV Tropes where the mafia sort of imploded on itself.

Not saying I don't like the concept -- my alliance was key for victory in Walker's original Pokémafia (even though opal almost backstabbed us) and that was fun.

It seems like an alliance with a bunch of healers and even just one killer would be horribly overpowered.

Which is why there's half healers and half killers: then alliances are more likely to have killers and then it's (mostly) on equal terms. Do you have any ideas to balance the game further?

Isn't it typical for both kills to go through in that case?

Which is what I'm planning on doing.

plugging this again cause people would be nice
I'd like at least four more participants but if we can get more than that, well, good. Would prefer an even number of players.

Back
Top Bottom