• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Fifth Generation Evolutions?

Kabigon

Yes We Can!! Obama Wins!
Err, I can't really seem to tell which ones are evolutions/pre-evolutions of previous gen Pokemon. Only one that I noticed was Luvdisc and I'm still not 100% sure about that. Any help?

There are no evolutions or pre-evolutions of existing Pokemon in this generation, meaning Mamanbou is not Luvdisc's evolution (tragic!). This is the first generation without any Pokemon ties to previous generations.

I imagine I'll be ninja'd, but none of the Isshu Pokémon evolve from or to Pokémon from the previous regions. I'm still surprised that Luvdisc doesn't evolve into that other pink heart shaped fish.

Why on earth would a simple lack of evolutions be enough to turn you off of it? The intent was to start afresh a la Gen I and make it new and exciting all over again. Most people last gen were bitching about there being too many new evolutions (part of that was because they disagreed with what got them, i.e. rhyperior-hate, but still). Regardless, that seems like a very silly reason to write the whole thing off as bad, unless there are a lot of other, more substantial reasons and this is just the straw that broke the camel's back or something.

So... were you also turned off generation I? It didn't have any evolutions of existing Pokémon either! And generation III only had two pre-evolutions and everything else original. Unless you only like generations II and IV, I call bullshit. :/

Honestly, last time I checked, everybody hated new evolutions/pre-evolutions anyway. Also B/W are awesome, and I don't even understand what the hell is going on in it.

Plus, being turned off a whole generation because it doesn't contain any Pokémon that fit some property X, as opposed to some relatively small fraction that do, is just silly. Unless the only Pokémon you like ever are evolutions of older Pokémon, or you don't like any of the fifth-generation Pokémon but somehow would like them if they were evolutions of older Pokémon, it's nonsensical to dismiss all the perfectly fine original Pokémon in it because none of them are evolutions.

Although I do think Gamefreak is starting to run out of ideas. The only evo I would have liked was mamanbou. Hey, I wasn't around for gen. 1—This is a perfect way for me to replay it without getting a GBC.

Although I do think Gamefreak is starting to run out of ideas.
Spr_5b_628.png

In what way? They said the same for generations III & IV as well, I think.

"Game Freak are running out of ideas" is a stock phrase said by nostalgic fans who don't like the new Pokémon but feel they need to justify this with something that sounds objective.

There is plenty to like with all originals. I think a good way to get to like them is to expose yourself to them until they become familar.

Pokemon I want to have in Gen V: #495, 496, 497, 506, 507, 508, 509, 510, 516, 517, 518, 522, 523, 529, 530, 531, 570, 571, 574, 575, 576, 585, 586, 587, 625, 628, 643, 644, 648. I also love all of the new characters human-wise too! ^.^

So, just take your time to like them, you'll warm up.

I barely liked any of the fifth-generation Pokémon when they were first revealed, but by now I love them and don't even miss the old Pokémon while playing White. Like Eloi said, just allow yourself to warm up to them.

Nah, I actually really like a lot of them. My question is, what's left?

Well, a lot! They've barely began to scratch the surface of plants and animals to use, and they've shown they aren't afraid to get obscure as far back as Gen 1(I bet very few of you know what Vileplume is based on!). Plus, we have a Trash Bag and Ice Cream Pokemon, so they aren't afraid of inanimate objects either. Not to mention that the design team gets bigger every game, and the fact that Black and White were the first games to bring in a foreigner to help design Pokemon(James Turner, an American), so there's a never-ending flow of new ideas and perspectives for the games. I think it's rather silly to say there's not much left to do when there's inspiration all around us.

If there were no possible ideas for pokémon designs left then why is making fakemon still so popular? If I can flip to a random page in Wikipedia and get some amazing jumping-off point for an idea, so can anyone else--including Game Freak. That's to say nothing of doing more research, choosing a theme to design around, etc..

Superbird said:
My question is, what's left?

Lionfish, Peacocks, Flamingos? If I can come up with those three off the top of my head, I don't think they're running out of ideas at all.

I do feel like they need to tone down the colors a little though. All the bright shiny contrasting super-saturated colors are starting to hurt my eyes. I mean, some are really nice (America bird! Purple fighting-type thing!), but

621.png
and
545.png

just hurts my eyes while

612.png

is... no. What is that ugly yellow-green-color?!

Back
Top Bottom