• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open The Amityville High School of the Strange and the Supernatural

"Hello, Nick," she said cheerfully, eyes narrowed. "It's nice to meet you." The antics of those nearby were drawing her attention away from her target, though she was loath to relax what weak hold she had on him. Looking up, she spied a boy who had constructed a butterfly out of gold, and she rasied an eyebrow, purposefully sending a stronger wave outward to gauge his reaction. However, there was one more important - the cat-person that was being lured away by the golden insect. He hadn't had a reaction to what she had done at all - as if he couldn't sense it. That was an affront to her abilities. Her eyes grew lighter as she focused, regretfully pulling away all the feather-light touches on her skin, the smoky taste in her mouth of fear, and focused on the cat-boy, waiting for the flicker of unease, the flutter of his heartbeat, waited for him to know what it was like to be prey.

She was staring, but she didn't need eye contact for it. Still focusing, she looked away at the girl who had approached the gold boy, and she smirked at them. "The place is rather crowded," she murmured mockingly. "So many people, with so many powers. Which one is yours, Nick?" There was genuine interest - there was something with him that tugged at her, more tantalizing than the shadowy lure of fear or terror that she constantly breathed in. "I can tell you mine first, if you like - but maybe you've already guessed it?"

The teachers were still silent, still preparing to speak, and she was quite enjoying her romp through her new hunting grounds. So many victims to choose from~

Yeah, you're scary as Hell. Nick thought. "I think I have a general idea of your power..." He nodded slowly. "My power is something of a bore, in my opinion. Nothing but a Shade." He lifted his hand, the area around him growing dark, as though burned by his presence.

The Shade materialized next to Nick, in front of his palm. Their large yellow eyes glowed brightly from their place within the darkness they were comprised of. Nick's thoughts ranged to stories by his parents of how the Shade first appeared.

I was a baby. The left the room for some time, to do whatever they needed to do. They came back to check on me, and the Shade was cradling me. It wouldn't let them, or anyone else come near me... They think it was protecting me. The Shade stared at Eris, pondering whether or not she was a threat. It reached its hand forward, to touch her on the nose.

Watching the golden butterfly sail through the air, guided by his powers, which kept the normally flightless object levitating through force of will alone, he smiled smugly as it achieved it's desired effect. Silencing the fearless man-cat while his gaze followed the radiant insect as though hypnotized. Content to let it simply flutter around his head for a while, Malin's plans were thwarted by a sudden change in dimensions, air suddenly flowing a different way, gravity bending, sending his elegant puppet swerving off-course and towards the other aisles. Leading the cat after it on a merry chase. Doubtless, this was the intervention of another one of the students at work. But, with so many swarming around this place at once, how could he determine which one?

Looking around for the source of the disturbance, it was difficult to locate the person who was tampering with his control over his glittering creation, what with the feline fool leaping and bounding after the now run-away butterfly, eventually snatching it out of the air, ruining Malin's chances of finding the interloper until another time, much to his annoyance. Infuriated that his flashy stunt had caused a circus act to occur instead of silence, Malin turned at the sound of a girl's voice. Another idiot who couldn’t just keep quiet, she was the perfect target to vent his frustrations on. Preparing to silence her, before he could do so, a wave of anxiety passed through him, and he hesitated. Second-guessing what he'd been about to say to her. Hadn't it been a little bit... rude?

Before his royalist arrogance could fully assert itself once more, the girl finished with her icebreaker, which actually succeeded in it's task to a considerable degree, pride melting the ice around his heart of gold. Flattered, he returned her smile, and furthermore bowed his head to her as a gesture of goodwill. Forgetting for a moment his chilly dismissal of the rest of the class as complete vermin, he allowed himself to take satisfaction in her compliment. While it was true that he had yet to fully master his powers - his control over gold being limited to a range of about 10 meters, and the size of the objects he could control being not much bigger than an insect like the one he'd produced before; it was still perhaps the only thing about himself that deep down he was proud of. And the foundation for the new personality that had overtaken him since the discovery of his glimmering touch.

"Thank you, milady. And you are very charming. My name is Malin Augurello. By what name might I know you?"

He spoke in a voice like a golden river, smooth and rich like oil, so pure it was almost like birdsong, but with a metallic edge to it, tempered and firm. The uncertainty was beginning to pass now, but his attention remained riveted on his new acquaintance, her words having made their impact before the icy barrier around his heart was given chance to reconstruct.

Last edited:
(( aaaa you started when I was gone, damn. *readread* this should be...an interesting attempt, hah.

Marie swept into the large auditorium, her shining black ringlets of hair flowing behind her as she went. She wasn't really looking at anyone, her yellow eyes half-lidded and smile playing on her lips as she walked. She found a seat mostly apart from other students, and sat down, smoothing her elegant black skirts. She glanced around the room, not really interested in the people, per se...but what they carried.

All sorts of germs and viruses were all over, inside these people, every little bit of them carrying something...something she could use. And how easy it would be to just...release a powerful virus right now, just plant it on one person, and watch it spread slowly, taking out so many people. The spread of disease was a fascinating thing...

There was a light scratching sound in her purse, and she opened it, letting the large brown rat inside skitter up her arm and perch on her shoulder. The rodent started to clean its paws quietly, before crawling along her shoulders and across the back of her neck, coming to rest on her other shoulder. She giggled as it went, and then swept her long, dark hair aside.

She couldn't wait for the fun to start.

(( grr time zones ))

This was pathetic. They'd all been here too long. It was far too hot in this room, however big it may be, and the collective smell of sweat found its way to him far too soon.

He sighed, and turned to the girl next to him. "What was it you wanted?"

She didn't reply. Maybe he had offended her. This was boring, Armin decided. Maybe he should go back again and pick a new seat.

No. Something told him that he shouldn't. That this was the perfect place.

"ATTENTION PLEASE!"

The tall, silver-haired man stood up, and as he shouted out the room fell dead quite. There was something overpowering about this man that made it feel like mutiny just to talk.

"I am Charlie Crimson," he continued, as he looked over the group of students. "And I am the principal and owner of this school. Before I start my long-winded speech of the school and it's history which will undoubtedly bore you out of your skulls and lose your attention, I'll introduce you to the staff."

He lifted his hand in the general direction of the pale man, "This," he said, "Is William Richards, your class mentor and practical subjects teacher."

He then pointed towards the woman with the pink hair and the glasses. "And this is Blair O'Connor, who is the school secretary."
The bespectacled woman did a small, almost flirty wave.

"And then," Charlie Crimson said, lifting his hand towards an effeminate young man, "is the school doctor Florence Atkinson."

Florence was a short, and as mentioned, rather effeminate man, not looking a day older than 25. The fact that he wore a pink nurse uniform didn't help either.

"You can take my word for it when I say that you will get to know him very well."

Charlie stopped for a short while, letting the students take in the information he had just shared with them. He could hear faint whispers amongst them.

"Now," he said, and everything went quite again, "Any questions before we continue?"

Neku jumped back a seat when the Shade appeared. All he could think was that it was really...Cool! His ear then began to twitch a little when he realized the staff had begun talking.

Neku didn't mind long speeches that much. And if it got boring he could take a catnap, still, there was a very important question he needed to add that would affect everyone. His tail quickly bent down.

Slowly, he raised his hand, and without waiting for a reply, he asked his question. "Umm...Yeah. What's the rule on powers?"

He quickly tilted his head back to the Shade, who was touching the girls nose. There was something different about her. Oh well!

"A Shade?" she queried, attention still split between the cat-boy and Nick. However, when the Shade appeared, she relaxed some of her focus, drinking in the presence of this 'Shade'. It was related to the shadows, she could feel it, a sense of relation between her and the odd creature. Eyes half-closed, she didn't move, letting it touch her nose - but her eyes were bright silver now, and the tattoo around her neck shifted, twining around it like a noose before settling as she drew back. "How fascinating. I think we're alike, Nick," she declared, grinning at him. "I think we'll see each other very often this year~" Because she would go looking. Would the Shade guard his dreams from her, or would they be more interesting, better-tasting because of what he could summon?

She fell silent as the faculty finally called the students to order, and she watched as they introduced themselves. Interesting. They all seemed powerful, used to being obeyed - she wouldn't test them right yet. Start small, on the other students, and only pick a higher target if there was an opening that she could exploit.

She reined in her powers as much as she could - now only those sitting near her would feel the anxiety and unease that spread from her, radiating like a fire would radiate heat.

((Failpost, rushed))

"A Shade?" she queried, attention still split between the cat-boy and Nick. However, when the Shade appeared, she relaxed some of her focus, drinking in the presence of this 'Shade'. It was related to the shadows, she could feel it, a sense of relation between her and the odd creature. Eyes half-closed, she didn't move, letting it touch her nose - but her eyes were bright silver now, and the tattoo around her neck shifted, twining around it like a noose before settling as she drew back. "How fascinating. I think we're alike, Nick," she declared, grinning at him. "I think we'll see each other very often this year~" Because she would go looking. Would the Shade guard his dreams from her, or would they be more interesting, better-tasting because of what he could summon?

She fell silent as the faculty finally called the students to order, and she watched as they introduced themselves. Interesting. They all seemed powerful, used to being obeyed - she wouldn't test them right yet. Start small, on the other students, and only pick a higher target if there was an opening that she could exploit.

She reined in her powers as much as she could - now only those sitting near her would feel the anxiety and unease that spread from her, radiating like a fire would radiate heat.

((Failpost, rushed))

Alex rushed into the room, taking a seat close to the front.

"Any questions before we continue?" a voice rang out. He shook his head as shadows creeped up his legs. Shadows...they were wonderful, weren't they?

He stared at the speaker with his blood-red eyes, waiting for him to go on.

With the distraction of the chaos mostly diminished, attention was now fully returned to the boy when he spoke. Finger now away from her mouth, Anya’s cheeks appeared to be a bit rosy with slight embarrassment, but primarily from being flattered. She was more than pleased with his reaction, her smile that showed her teeth unwavering. On the inside, she felt such huge relief at the idea of being able to talk and be friendly to another person. The unfamiliarity of the people was uncanny, especially from the vibes she was getting from them, namely from a girl with long, black hair who was conversing with a boy.

A small pain shot through her hand, and realized she was clenching her fists from nervousness, her nails putting enough pressure on her palm to cut through the skin. Swiftly opening her hand, she glanced down only for a moment to concentrate and make the blood that was forming, along with the cut, slowly mend itself. While a part of Anya was hoping no one had noticed her healing hand, she was eager to reply back to Malin.

“I’m Anya, Anya Butler,” she said, the pitch of her voice sounding a touch higher. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.” And just then, she heard the introductions of the staff starting. She was sure she didn't have any questions, but was curious about what the cat-boy had asked.

A kid somewhere across the hall asked something about the rules on powers. Armin didn't really care - it wasn't like anyone would actually know if he'd used his powers or not. Without waiting for the kid's question to be asked, he raised his hand too.

"More importantly, when the hell do you quit talking?"

The people around him frowned at him. Some shook their heads, others tutted. He looked at the boy to his left and shook his head disapprovingly. "Why would you say something like that?" he said, quite audibly. "The man clearly has some very important topics to discuss. People these days..."

((ShadScy, there are no other students than the ones you and the others play so that is kinda a sort of godmodding you pulled there actually))
((Probably should have made it more clear so I to blame as well))

"Rules on powers?" Charlie said as his wrinkled face broke up in a smile, "I always get question, every year, you know?"

"But still," he continued, "you are allowed to use your various abilities for menial tasks in your everyday living, but if you fight another student outside of class you'll get detention."

"We want to have you know," William Richards, the pale teacher said, "That trying to stand up on the teachers will hardly do you a lot of good, either. Unless you want a lesson off, that is. Because chances are you'll get sent to the doctor's office."

"Via express," Blair O'Connor added quickly.

"More importantly, when the hell will you quit talking?" Someone shouted out.

Most people would be rather offended by such a question, but only Florence showed any sign of disturbance, grimacing slightly. Oddly enough it only seemed to amuse Charlie, whom it had been directed towards.
But just as he was to open his mouth in response, someone slammed open the entrance doors.

The someone in question was a young man, probably in his earlier twenties and quite tall for his age. His hair was dark and messy, almost like dreadlocks, the kind that you get from not washing your hair in a overly long time that is. He wore an eyepatch over his left eye, decorated with a stop sign.

"YO!" He shouted loudly from the back of the room. "Sorry I'm late, Charlie."

"No, that's okay," Charlie answered the young man, "Students, this here is-"
he didn't get further before being interrupted by the young man again.

"I can introduce myself," he said as he made his way to the scene. He then turned to the rows of seats, and continued drawlingly.

"Alright pussies, I'm Theodore Eldritch, you can call me Ted though. I was a student here two years ago, and I was THE ONLY person in my class to pass. Now I work here as the combat instructor."

He paused for a second, looking out over the crowd with a single, green eye.

"In addition, I am, hands down, the most powerful person in the building, and in the history of the school, for the matter."

You're always like that. Charlie Crimson thought to himself, I wonder if you'd be that cocky if what you're saying wasn't true?

"Now," Theodore continued, "any more questions or should we start our first lesson?"

"Yeah, alike." Nick failed to see how he and Eris were similar, but it didn't much matter to him. When the... What was his name? Charlie Crimson? When Crimson began talking, the Shade shot back into Nick. Nick watched in dull boredom as the man talked... and talked.

He jumped when the doors slammed open. 'Ted' began to introduce himself, and Nick found him to be very interesting. Most likely, he was the coolest teacher. Definetly favorable to the nurse... Man thing.

((Oh, gosh... I'm sorry, I didn't realise. I'll see if I can't edit that post in the morning.))

Armin went red. He certainly hadn't wanted to offended anyone, least of all the nurse man.

This Ted guy seemed... interesting, to say the least. He wondered how far he'd be able to push him, but he daren't say anything. He'd already made himself out to be an attention-seeking prat once.

Zeph stopped playing with space around the butterfly when a cat-like creature snatched it from the air. He let out a soft laugh. He 'looked' up as someone, with a voice of authority that probably meant it was a teacher, began to speak loudly and the other students fell quiet. Although his face was pointed towards the speaker, he couldn't really see them. The voice said the speaker was male. Someone asked about rules on powers and the speaker sounded almost amused as he answered.

"Rules on powers? I always get question, every year, you know? But still, you are allowed to use your various abilities for menial tasks in your everyday living, but if you fight another student outside of class you'll get detention."

That was good. Zeph didn't think he could not use his powers, he relied on them for too much. Just avoiding crashing into walls or tripping on stairs required his powers to 'see' them. He let out a soft sigh of relief as another speaker interjected.

"We want to have you know, that trying to stand up on the teachers will hardly do you a lot of good, either. Unless you want a lesson off, that is. Because chances are you'll get sent to the doctor's office."

So the teachers had powers too. That'll be good to know, though he was a little curious about what powers they had. Someone suddenly shouted something.

"More importantly, when the hell will you quit talking?"

Zeph winced. That was rude and uncalled for. Whoever said that was probably arrogant of their own powers. He wondered how many other students were the same in mindset. Did they all think they were better than everyone else because of their abilities?

He jumped as the doors to the auditorium were slammed open. He didn't turn to look, since he wouldn't have been able to see what the person looked like anyways, but a male voice, full of confidence and arrogance, shouted out introducing himself as 'Ted'. This teacher seemed rather coarse but maybe he had a friendly side? Who knew. Zeph sighed again. This year was going to be interesting.

His comments inciting a blush, Malin beamed back at her with teeth that shone like diamonds in contrast with his slightly tan skin, which itself was almost a golden yellow. Maintaining unbroken, but polite, eye-contact, Malin was oblivious to her small display of power. Although he did make note of her name upon her presentation of it - Anya of the Butler family. An intriguing last name, and one he felt nothing short of approval for. Before he could continue what was becoming one of his rare, pleasant conversations with someone lower than him on the social ladder, the headmaster chose such moment to speak up. Dashing his hopes at continuation of his most agreeable engagement.

Typical! The moment he found someone with standards of etiquette to talk to, the time for talking was at an untimely end. Cutting off his conversation despite the fact that he'd been forced to listen to the puerile chatter of the other students for several antagonizing minutes of torture. Contrary to the Principal's statements, Malin was in actuality quite eager to make the mysteries of the school his own, and relished the idea of learning something of the building's history. Sparing only a few moments to memorize the staff in order of selective importance. The wild child from before asking a single, rather blatant question, followed somewhat impatiently by the boy with the tie he'd noticed earlier, but before the headmaster could retort there was a brash shout from the other end of the room. And Malin's refined palette detected a distinctive unwashed smell emanating from the doorway like a putrid mass.

A scruffy-looking and vulgar youth emerging, interrupting the principal for the second time with no trace of remorse or even comprehension that he was speaking out of line, the shambling excuse for a human introduced itself as simply Theodore Eldritch, Malin's nostrils flaring once more in reply to the hooligan’s outrageous claims. The only student ever to pass? His attempt at intimidation, if that was his intention, failed miserably. Serving only to irritate Malin further, his brash mannerisms and use of slang endearing him automatically to the golden prince's prejudice. His hair was greasy and tangled like a mass of maggots, and his proclamation of absolute power was an outright insult to the pride of every student in the room. Not to mention his earlier accusation regarding felines! Which was only accurate, albeit offensive, towards the half-pussycat hybrid seated up above somewhere with the other mongrels! Outraged that he might have to treat someone he found so repulsive as an equal, let alone follow his guidance, indignation swelled up from within Malin's chest. He wasn't going to take this news quietly.

"I have a query."

He proclaimed boldly, placing his hands onto the desk in front of him and standing up with an audible clink of the chain-mail vest he wore underneath his shirt, facing the cyclopean graduate from a height slightly above his eye-level, his facial features and body language made no effort to conceal the contempt that practically radiated off his body towards the one who would dare name himself his superior in arrogance, yet his voice remained relaxed and confident, regal even in the light of his passionate hatred.

"If by first lesson you mean a duel in which to gauge our powers, then I volunteer myself to be your first opponent. Consider it a challenge."

Last edited:
Skylar hadn't been paying all that much attention until a...cat-boy in front of him had asked something about rules on powers. When the teacher mentioned the consequences of fighting, he grimaced. Menial tasks...how was his power supposed to help him with easy things like that? Electricity wasn't very useful for daily tasks...

But before he could think about it more in depth, someone decently near him yelled out a question quite suddenly.

"More importantly, when the hell will you quit talking?"

Skylar couldn't help but laugh a bit. Looks like he wasn't the only one that was bored out of his mind. The doors to the entrance suddenly slammed open, and Skylar calmly turned to see a young man with...questionable attire. As he finished introducing himself, Skylar smiled. This 'Ted' was the combat teacher, and he already gained a liking to him. Almost immediately after the introduction, Skylar noticed a youth stand and challenge Ted.

"Well, well, this should be interesting..." Skylar said, mostly speaking to himself as he turned to watch and wait for whatever was going to unfold.

Marie was quiet through the introductions, petting the head of the rat on her shoulder. She filed the names of the teachers away in the back of her mind, but she didn't really care about any of them, not even the cocky one who was so rude and brash. She knew that she was better than any of them, any in this room...because both the smallest infant and strongest man could fall to a simple illness, this she knew.

The rat on her shoulder squeaked as she listened still, but her gaze was locked on the doctor...Florence Atkinson, if she recalled right? Yes, that was it. She smiled, adjusting her lacy skirts and crossing her stockinged legs. She would have to scope him out...doctors always had the best things, and she wanted to learn more about him, and where he worked. She would have to get close.

With a laugh, she adjusted her top, pulling it down to show more cleavage. Men were easy. They were always the ones who fell quickly to her whims, just a slip of the skirt, a pull of the bodice, and they were all over her. The rat skittered down and sat in her lap, and she scratched his head.

"Shhh, Plague, it's okay. Just keep quiet," she cooed to the rodent.

She listened quietly to the questions, regarding them, and the answers unimportant, if mildly amusing to listen to. Then a boy mentioned fighting...she turned and regarded him cooly with her yellow eyes, letting her black curls fall around her shoulders and face, framing the pale skin there. He seemed...amusing. She lifted Plague up and nuzzled his little face.

"See him, Plague? We should watch him..." She whispered. "He's so...arrogant, so full of pride. And you know what they say about pride. don't you?"

She kissed the rat on the nose and kept petting his grey fur.

((Last post before going to bed, mind you))

Theodore looked aimlessly at the boy, the boy who just now had stood up against him. The boy with the appearance of gold.
The golden boy.

While he failed to notice it, Florence was staring at him, eyes like knives. He took the situation very seriously, despite what the young, one-eyed man was about to do.

Theodore kept staring at the golden boy, mouth half-open, as if he was trying to figure out just what that golden boy meant.

Suddenly, he burst into a fit of maniacal laughter. He laughed so hard that tears started rolling down his single eye. Laughed so hard he was about to fall over. All the time he laughed with the same melody in his voice, almost as if you had been playing a five-second audio clip over and over and over again.
He laughed, and laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

Taking a deep sight, he finally managed to regain his senses, yet still chuckling endlessly.

"We've sure got an interesting class this year, haven't we?" he finally said, stopping in the middle of the sentence to chuckle some more. "The day have barely started and a first-year student actually challenges me? Oh man that slaps me on the knee."

Then, for a feign moment, just the fraction of a second, a cold and desolate feeling of horror spread across the room. In that very moment, it was as if all life was gone, replaced only by a bitter cold and the endless void of darkness.

And when that fraction of a second had passed, it was as if someone might as well have dropped a bomb in the room. A deafening, yet soundless boom spread through the auditorium. When one regained their senses, Theodore Eldritch still stood at scene, but out of his shoulder stretched a horrifying collection of all things frightening. Colossal spider legs, massive crab claws, lashing octopus tentacles and many other fear-inspiring appendages had grown out of his shoulder like a gigantic wing of dread. and in the middle of it all was a massive, gaping mouth, filled with sharp and discoloured teeth.

"Did you know?" Theodore said, yet his mouth never moved as he spoke. "That halfway through my first year, at this school, I couldn't have combat classes with my classmates any more? the school didn't have enough money to maintain the medicinal supplies to keep up with the rate I sent students to the school hospital. In fact I think I was the primary reason our old school nurse quit her job."

As suddenly as it had appeared, the wretched blob of terror disappeared into nothingness, and now nothing except Theodore Eldritch stood there at the scene once again. Aside from the deadly silence, it was as if nothing had happened.

He took a small, crumpled paper out of his pocket and said "As much as I'd like, I've been strictly forbidden by Florence to fight our students, despite the fact it should really be that much of a problem any more. Instead, I'll put you into groups of two at random, and then you'll battle each other until one is unconscious, gives up or we decide your battle drags out for too long."

Now, Florence walked up to the middle of scene, and started speaking with a calm, almost robotic voice.

"We're going to have to ask you to leave the room for just a few minutes as we redecorate. I recommend that you spend this time to find your rooms and leave your belongings there."

Back
Top Bottom