• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open The Amityville High School of the Strange and the Supernatural

The Zeph kid extended his hand. Armin hesitated for a second, before realising that this guy hadn't noticed the incident in the auditorium and shaking it.

"This place is... interesting, isn't it?" he said, word vomit now spewing uncontrollably from his mouth. "And that duel thing... it can't be that bad. They would never let us hurt each other, especially not on the first day." But deep down, he knew he was wrong.

"It's Armin, by the way."

The swift opening of the door made Anya’s heart skip a beat, which resulted in more flames shooting from her hand. Her eyes were wide with surprise as she saw who entered the room - a boy. Not just a boy, but a very tall boy, at least compared to her, with red hair and striking blue eyes. She felt relieved she wouldn’t be staying in the room alone, but the last thing she expected is that the rooms were co-ed. At this point, she would have extended her hand and politely introduce herself, however, seeing that her hands were covered in flames, she decided it would be best if she did not burn his skin off. That would be unfortunate, and a horrible first impression to her new roommate.

Stopping the flames and returning her hands back to normal, Anya greeted Skylar with a smile and opened her mouth to speak, a small giggle escaping her lips, "It's nice to meet you Skylar. I'm Anya." She was desperately wanting their first meeting to not be awkward, so she chose to keep the conversation going, possibly getting to know him better. "So are you excited for this duel? Actually, if you don't mind me asking, what power do you have?" she added, slipping out a wink.

Immediately after she did, she regretted it. Oh, no... I didn't mean to do that! Just great, Anya, you probably made the whole situation awkward, she thought, mentally kicking herself.

"It's nice to meet you, Armin. Yeah...the duels. I wonder who I'll have to fight. You'd think they wouldn't want us to fight with our powers, we might destroy the school." Yawning, he slid off from where he had been sitting on the desk and reached down, fumbling for his bag. Finally getting a good grip on it, he picked the bag up and unzipped it, beginning to unpack and putting his clothes into the lower half of the dresser. A thought occurred to him.

"Oh. Do you want the top bunk or the bottom bunk?"

Ah, life's greatest question - top bunk or bottom? Armin stared at the bed.

"Erm... up to you."

He reached for his suitcases. One for his clothes and belongings, another for his hats. He began to open the hat suitcase, before realising that Zeph would think it was weird. He pushed it under the bed, and started to unpack the rest of the things. Running out of small talk, he just mumbled, "I really like hats." He had no idea what he meant by it, and he instantly regretted it. God, what was it with him today? It was like he was possessed or something.

"I mean, do you have any pets? At home, I mean," he said, hurriedly. "Or brothers? Sisters?" Shut up, Armin. Just shut up, he thought. "Parents? I mean, of course you do. I... never mind. I'll just..." he broke off and resumed unpacking his bags, hoping that Zeph had gone briefly deaf for those few seconds.

(Oh wow, I'm behind)

Annalise made sure to keep to herself in a seat away from the other people. She took residence in the back of the auditorium, keeping to herself. Keeping quiet through everything, Annalise just drew on her arm. One ear bud from her headphones rested in her left ear; the song "Skinny Love" rang through her mind as she waited for the teachers to start something. While she waited she sometimes glanced at the other students in the school. They almost made her feel normal, maybe? A cat boy, a boy made of gold, she even though she saw a guy who was part dragon.

It looked like the old, silver haired man was beginning to speak. Annalise put the Bon Iver song on pause and looked up. She moved a strand of her teal hair away from her face to get a better look at them. Only halfway paying attention, Annalise slowly went back to drawing on her arm until she heard the boastings of the dreadlocked man. She grew uneasy with him in the room. He seemed cocky.. and dangerous. Very cocky.

Then he displayed his abilities.

Annalise dropped her pencil in fright. She was instantly second guessing this school. Shaking, she sat there frozen. Annalise realized she wouldn't be able to forget that sight... she's never able to forget anything. People often remark that her power sounds like a wondrous thing. It's not. Not to her at least. How would you like to see something so terrifying and not be able to forget it? To put it in simple terms: It sucks... It sucks a lot.

She snapped back into reality when she realized people were beginning to leave the auditorium. Annalise gathered up her things, a backpack and a small instrument case, and left the auditorium. She looked around, trying to guess where her room would be. Hoping she would find someone to help her Annalise followed the crowd of people.

She let out a quiet sigh.

Skylar jumped as the flames burst from the girl's hands.
"Oh, sorry if I scared you..."

That was unexpected. As she giggled and introduced herself as Anya, Skylar took the bag off of his shoulder and laid it in the corner of the room. He leaned back up and looked at Anya as soon as she had finished asking what power he had. Catching the wink, Skylar's face flashed with an uncertain expression before he answered.

"Great to meet you, Anya. I suppose excited would be a good word to use. I mean, I've never exactly fought... anything. And as for my power..." Skylar trailed off. Yawning again, he rose his right hand and generated small, visible electric bolts that protruded from his fingers. They stayed connected to his fingers, buzzing and crackling.

"I'm able to control electricity." Obviously. Why'd you even say that? Skylar thought to himself as he retracted the bolts. He cleared his throat again nervously and glanced at Anya.

"From your earlier... demonstration, I'm guessing you can control fire or something to that sort. Right?"

Reggie flew straight to one of the last rooms, knowing that no one would go there quickly. Eight... Perfect. Even though Reggie was desperate for friends, he enjoyed having his own room. Satisfied with his find, Reggie placed his messenger bag down on the bed he didn't intend upon using, and his suitcase on the other bed.

((sorry, my last few posts have been failposts- there's not a whole lot going on with him right now))

Last edited:
Eris watched him write with a raised eyebrow, but didn't comment, grinning as the shadow extended - she reached out for the paper. "So you control darkness? How interesting," she told him - he could take it as another compliment, but being considered interesting by her was not a good thing. "You should meet Nick - he makes living shadows he calls Shades," she prattled on, watching him carefully. Would he take well to learning about others? He seemed an introvert - perhaps it'd be easier to find the flaws. "What did you think of the display in the auditorium?"

She had found it fascinating, and the sheer realization that so many had powers attuned to the very darkness she followed was enough to keep her elated for a long time. She could hardly care about classes - this was just far too good news. Humming tunelessly, she added, "I suppose I'll have the lower bunk, then?" knowing it didn't matter. She didn't need to sleep, after all.

((CRAPCRAPCRAP SORRY FOR FAILPOST))

"Mkay. I'll take the bottom bunk." Zeph finished unpacking his clothes and slid shut the drawer full of his stuff, then taking out his sound recorder, setting it on the desk for whenever real classes started. After all, he couldn't exactly read a textbook, could he? Meanwhile, Armin must have had bags with him as well, Zeph heard the sound of one being opened and then shoved under the bed, followed by Armin softly saying, almost defensively, "I really like hats." Zeph smiled; that was completely unexpected.

Quickly, with that ever so slight tone in his voice that meant embarrassment, Armin followed up his statement about hats with "I mean, do you have any pets? At home, I mean, or brothers? Sisters?" Parents? I mean, of course you do. I... never mind. I'll just..." He stopped talking and began what sounded like unpacking or something. Zeph could sympathize with Armin, he got flustered and said the wrong things around new people, too.

"Well..." He bit his lip, thinking about how he should reply, fighting the mixed feelings of anger and sadness that constantly surrounded that touchy subject known as 'home'.

"I didn't have any pets. Or brothers.. Or sisters..." And then, so quietly it was a mere whisper. "Or parents..."

He quickly turned and wiped his arm across his eyes. There was just some dust in his eyes from the unused room, he didn't cry. Crying was for the weak...His throat was tight, making it hard to breath as he yanked a small box of chocolate bars out of his bag, leaving the bag empty, slamming the box onto the desk. Hands clenched, he just stood there leaning over the desk, arms against the cold wood, a single tear sliding down his cheek tickling his face.

Annalise looked around, unsure of what to do. "Maybe I could just ask someone or maybe the tea- .. Oh!" She completely forgot about the piece of paper she received earlier. Rummaging around in the pocket of her dark pants she pulled out a folded the said slip of paper. She scanned the paper, it read "7."

"So I must be in room seven," Annalise murmured to herself.

She put the paper back in her pocket and pulled her music player back out. Annalise brought her obnoxiously colored Skullcandy headphones up to her ears. "Hrm... She & Him? ..Nah." Even though she was lost in though of what to listen to she wondered around to find room 7. "Sex Bom-Omb? No. Taken By Trees? Nooo. ..Hm. Phoenix? Not really in the mood." She stuffed up and town the "Artists" section of her player. Annalise finally settled on The Flaming Lips, putting on their song "Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell." This helped her calm down a little bit as it was on of her favorite songs. As Annalise was getting lost in the song she quickly was smacked by into reality by running into a door.

"Goddamnit!" she hissed as she back away from her 'attacker.' Annalise rubbed her nose. It was even more embarrassing because, like always, a smack to the nose makes you tear up. She looked around quickly, trying to scan for anyone who saw. Once she gained her composer she saw something that caught her eye. It was a 7!

Through her moment of well... stupidity, she was able to find her room. Annalise sighed and went inside. The first thing she noticed was the two beds. "Great," she sighed. But maybe it wasn't all bad? Her parents always did tell her she needed to get out and make more friends. But sometimes she didn't want friends. People can be so ridiculous... plus it doesn't help that Annalise often picks out someone's bad traits and rather ignores their good ones. She sighed again, putting her backpack and ukulele case down on one of the beds. Annalise then too sat herself on her bed, awaiting for someone else to enter the domain.

Armin continued to listen carefully while unpacking. It would have been a shame, he thought, to have grown up as a pet-less only child. For a moment he could have sworn he heard Zeph mention that he had no parents. He skipped past it.

He continued to unpack as he heard a sniffle from Zeph's bed. He turned to look up. Damn. He was crying.

Half of Armin wanted to ask Zeph what was wrong, but the other half didn't want to get into that. But Zeph had been so kind to accept Armin into the room, and actually talk about his life to him...

Armin took a packet of tissues from his suitcase and threw them at Zeph, then went back to his suitcase.

Hearing Skylar continuing the conversation without any obvious signs of awkwardness made Anya feel better. Either he didn’t see the wink or he just chose to ignore it, both of those being perfectly acceptable. She calmed herself down and observed the electricity appearing from his fingers. The intrigue of other abilities made her stare in what was nothing short of awe. Catching herself, she switched her gaze from his display over to his face. Being completely honest, she had to admit, “I’m sorry for staring, I just find it fascinating. Like, for instance, if the power goes out, using your ability would enable you to turn the power back on, right?”

“And as for my power…” she trailed off, looking to the side and wondered how she could form the right words, “I can make fire with my hands, yes. That’s not the only thing though.”

Reigniting her hands with dancing flame, Anya placed one hand on her bare arm. Suffice it to say, the rest of her body was not fire-resistant. She gritted her teeth, scrunching up her face a bit at the feeling of the fire burning her skin. Doing her best to curb a rising squeal of pain, she finally felt as though she could not take the agony any longer. Anya let go of her arm and made the flames on her hands disappear.

Her arm was an unnatural shade of red, some parts looking somewhat charred, and the beginning of the skin peeling away. At the moment, the burn felt so hot that all Anya wanted was a bucket of water to stick it in. However, she knew it would soon go away. With her concentration, she could already feel, and see for that matter, the redness dying down and the skin returning back to normal. After a minute or so, it was completely healed. “And yeah, that’s what I do,” she stated, hoping that this wouldn’t creep Skylar out too bad. She knew others had always felt uneasy and horrified, especially her family, when she would have to injure herself to show them what she could do and she wished this wouldn’t be the case with him.

When Neku got to the doors of the auditorium, he quickly realized he'd forgot his headband, the only thing that held his spiky hair out of his face. He quickly dashed back towards his room, dodging the doors of each of the rooms until he finally got back to room 7.

When he opened the door this time, however, he noticed another bed. He mustn't have seen it the first time, due to Eris' strange power. He then looked up and noticed a girl with some interesting stylized headphones.

"Oh... Uhh.. Hi." He said, kinda shocked at seeing someone else in the room. He waited for a reply, since he wasn't completely sure if she could actually hear him or not.

Marie smiled as Malin introduced himself. She must admit, she liked the nickname he used for her. This was going to be interesting. The young man had such a presence to him, and it would be so fun to break him if the need arose. And he wasn't bad-looking either, so there was that. She smiled and shifted on her bed so that she was laying on her belly, legs in the air. She didn't really care if her shirts flipped up to show her undergarments.

She moved to unpack her own belongings as well, mostly clothing, though she had some books and a small plush rodent. She placed that on her pillow, and set aside her clothing to put away later.

Plague, meanwhile, was taking to exploring the room, skittering about on the floor, sniffing corners and random spots on the carpet. He didn't wander too far from Marie, though he did take to staring intently at Malin, as though studying him.

"So, what do you think of the place so far, lord Malin? It seems rather interesting, I admit," Marie purred, turning over a small vial full of...what looked like blood in her hands.

She just needed to butter him up before she could get what she needed from him... She smiled and sat up, still toying with the vial and fixing her skirts a bit, always making sure to show off enough leg.

((hay I drew Marie O:

"I was wanting you to love me," Annalise quietly sung to her, "but your love it never came. All the other love around me was wais..ting.." It took her a minute to notice someone had just walked into the room. She noticed it was the catboy she saw before in the auditorium. Her face flushed from being caught singing, she took the headphones out of her ears.

"Hi," Annalise said frankly, shoving her music player to the side. She looked over the boy, wondering why they are putting people in coed dorms.

Oh, good the creature was gone. That was good, she guessed. It was too bad it had to get offended, but at least she had her bed back. Satisfied, she looked at her roommate, listening.

He said he didn't need a desk. Unsatisfied, she decided to draw him a desk the first chance she got. "Oh, no. I can make you one quickly. I don't want to hog everything... and I understand. I was once reluctant to eat was just markings on a paper!" Elise laughed wistfully, trailing off and getting out some more paper, along with markers and pens.

She started sketching out the desk, making it fairly simple. The artist occasionally peered down at the one she was using for reference, and around the time she was done with her pencil her roommate asked for her name. "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. Well, I'm Elise Larange. As I bet you've guessed by now, I can make what I draw come to life. And, I assume, your power is to create those little creatures?"

She hoped she wasn't being too awkward. She was just trying to get rid of that.

Zeph, disgusted with him self, wiped the tear away harshly and shoved his empty bag under the bed. He heard something skitter across the floor. Had he knocked something over> He didn't think he had. He slid his foot across the floor until it bumped into something soft and he bent over and picked it up. It was soft, with plastic over the outside. It felt like...oh crap. Tissues. Armin had seen him crying. He sighed, this wasn't a very good start. He opened the box of chocolate bars and grabbed one, tearing the wrapper with his teeth as he sat down. He took a bite and the sweet flavor of chocolate flooded his mouth. He chewed and swallowed before asking Armin "Oh. Do you want some?" He broke off the untouched half of the chocolate bar and offered it in the general direction of his roommate.

Neku smiled awkwardly, then his ear twitched again. His tail was waving a little, but it wasn't really something to worry about. he quickly grabbed his headband and pulled his hair back with it.

"I'm Neku, by the way. Resident homosapien/feline." He said with a grin. He scratched his ear casually, then went over and sat on his bed. "So... What do people call you? We're gonna be roommates for a while, so it might be good to learn each other's name." He wasn't sure about here at the moment, but he was pretty sure that she could be a good friend.

Annalise eyed him weirdly, perhaps giving off the opinion of a dirty look. She didn't necessarily mean it in that tone, but it sure looked like it.

"Annalise Concannon," she answered. Annalise found Neku a bit off putting, but it wasn't just Neku it was the whole school. Maybe she was put in her by accident? She knew there were people who were going to have powers, but everyone else's powers seem so much more drastic than her's. "..So.. I guess I don't have to guess what your powers are?" she nervously chuckled.

"I wonder if he has fleas?"

Despite Malin's attempts to ignore the bittersweet advances of the very keen woman with whom he would now be sharing a room for what could easily be a full year or longer, her efforts to catch his attention amused him somewhat. Lord Malin? It was a transparent attempt at flattery, and it was working. Earning her a smirk and a grunt of approval from her otherwise cold and distant roommate. Clearly she wanted something, and given her lewd behaviour, it wasn't particularly hard to guess at what. Not that Malin found it particularly surprising. Being as much of an admirer of his own appearance as anyone for miles. Leaving her question unanswered, for now, Malin continued to stare down at the 24 karat chest heaped with gold in front of him. Psychologically preparing himself for a challenging feat.

Placing both of his hands in a position facing the chest, Malin closed his eyes and tried to shut out the distracting presence of his new roommates, who he knew were watching him even now. The golden chest in front of him beginning to sparkle in a strange way. Breaking through the bonds that held the metal together with resolute concentration, the chest and it's contents began to slowly evaporate into the air, fine golden grains of dust rising as the chest seemingly flowed upwards like a river of sand, forming a swirling golden cloud of glittering particles hovering in the aether above where the raw weight of gold had once rested.

His eyes remaining tightly closed, Malin sucked in a deep breath, the cloud drifting towards him and enveloping his body like a living golden fog. Folding over his skin and clothing as softly as fabric, despite the fact that gold lacked any such property, the shimmering particles coated him in a membrane of gold and started to interlock into a frame around the parts of his body not yet covered by armor. The abundance of shifting golden motes sending light bouncing around the room as they began to merge and melt together into seperate shapes, a helmet, torso, shoulder pads, making it look as though he were enveloped in a cocoon of light. The light fading, where Malin had once stood now rested a golden knight. Angular and streamlined, the completed suit of glimmering golden plates fitted his shape from head to toe, leaving only a small circular opening through which his face was visible, and gaps to leave his hands free and unhindered in their power to petrify.

Turning his head to face Marie, it was hard to think of a greater contrasting pair of roommates. Masculine and radiant, dressed to kill in more ways than one, the sickly feminine appearance of the girl dressed in moody and gothic colors clashed with the aura of decadence the golden knight was giving off, fouling the air around her side of the room and giving off an air of warning and decay. There was a certain mystery about her as well though, which he did find intriguing. Her sense of danger almost alluring in a macabre way Malin couldn't quite comprehend.

"What interest I have in this place is purely academical. But, for it's purpose, this institution will be adequate. I wish to conquer myself - and any who would hinder me in doing so."

He replied at last, taking a few confident steps forwards, his armor clinking like the sound of gold coins rubbing together as he walked, moulded to his body so perfectly that the noise was barely louder than a squeak.

"And what of you, belladonna? Would you hinder me? Or would you instead be open to proposition?"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom