• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Problems with America

kyeugh

onion witch
Pronoun
she/her
So I'm doing a merit badge for Boy Scouts or something, and I have to write some congressman about an issue in America and my standpoint on it, how I feel. As many problems there are with our society, I can't think of a good one to write about. Anyone?

Separation of church and state is another; it used to be that you had to prove that you were more loyal to the country than to your church. It's largely the opposite now.

I have several things I can think of:
Corruption in the government,
Clueless parents, teachers, and authorities who have no idea what the hell is going on in the lives of their kids/students/people they're in charge of,
and again Homelessness.
That should be enough right there.

People insisting on saying 'I could care less'.
people actually DO that? we take the piss out of my dad for saying "I could give a shit about stuff" but he has the excuse that english is his second language... do actual, english-speaking people seriously say that without irony? waaah.

lack of universal healthcare would be my personal bugbear because jesus christ your entire system is thoroughly messed up in that regard.

Guns, bigotry, healthcare, homelessness, and education

Going to have to point to the deep south on those three counts, mostly. Biggest 'guns for everyone', 'gays are wrong and evil', and 'teach creationism in schools' supporters. Although, depending on your point of view, the guns thing might not be a bad thing. It just so happens that I think that it is a problem.

People insisting on saying 'I could care less'.

*faint sound of a linguistics minor swooping in. the noise stops*

actually! it is a US thing, but there's an idea that since it shares a stress pattern with a few sarcastic phrases, like I should be so lucky! or tell me about it!, rather than with the original I couldn't care less, it may have started being circulated in a pretty colloquial, sarcastic way! apparently it has sources in Yiddish-speaking New York.

changes like this very, very rarely happen primarily because of laziness or stubbornness (though there's an element of it, since people want to speak how they've always spoken, primarily), or anything like that! it might be that today they're seen as like variants of the exact same phrase or something, with the same connotations, but they might not have sprung up like that! :o there are lots of 'Americans use such lazy, incorrect language ew' implications when people bring up this stuff but, like. that's sort of something that doesn't just happen very often at all.

sorry brb crying at the beauty of linguistics i'm just going to have a moment

swoops out.

(On topic, I would go for something with smaller scope than the health care system, unless you want to write an essay. idk.)

Last edited:
The fact that the method of how they pick the president is outdated and should change. The Electoral College is as old as the country; it could have worked for thirteen former colonies with low population, but not a fifty-state nation with over 300 million people.

This is demonstrably untrue.

Correct; I was waiting for someone to point out that people just think that because they're loudest and get the most media time. You get a cookie for finding the stereotype. Chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, or sugar?

Back
Top Bottom