• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Radish HQ

It's impressive how much retconning there can be in something with very little material! ... Or possibly the anonymous narrator has no memory and is only actually coherent if you ask. It's a mystery. And given that the clefairy were teleporting you from space, really they did pretty well! It's hard to be accurate when the ship's moving and the world's moving and they're moving at different speeds and directions. Given that you didn't land as a circle with a five mile radius, they're so awesome and you should give them many many hugs except not really because they will probably Meteor Mash you. But you definitely owe them one. ... well, they probably think you owe them one, anyway.

He jumps when he notices you and stops sulking, then starts to reach for a pokéball after seeing that you're Not Happy, possibly insane, and with Not Happy pokémon, but he stops and accidentally drops a few bottlecaps. Life sucks.

"I have no idea what you're talking about --!" he starts to say while you rant, but he seems to decide that maybe he should just ... let you rant. Even though he'd much prefer it if you took out your horrible day of horrible horrible alien abductions (IT COULD BE WORSE!!) on someone not-him. ... Also, his expression makes it pretty clear he thinks you're 87% crazy. (It'd be higher, but he's familiar with clefairy ships. ... Also with greys. He's intimately familiar with greys. He is best alien.)

After you finish, he sighs and says, "One sec!" before he runs (surprisingly quickly) to who-knows-where and returns with a water bottle, some hot water, and a packet of instant ramen (pick one). He hands you the bottle -- it's pretty cold; there's probably a faucet somewhere -- and sets the ramen-in-water down next to him. He's not about to hand hot water to a crazy person. "Um. What? All I got out of that was 'clefairy' and 'Team Rocket'."

(( ... Sigh. ))

She frowns as he runs off. Now that she got that all out of her system, a small patronizing voice in the back of her mind reprimands her that it's not his fault, really, remember? it's yours for getting into places that shouldn't have been gotten into?

Not that that'd stop her. Getting into places that shouldn't be gotten into is half the fun of adventuring.

When he returns with water and food, that just makes her feel more guilty. She did practically break into his house to rant at him. And demand his hospitality. Hnnnnnnn...

She takes the cold water and holds it to her forehead before taking a sip. Beh, tap water... "... thanks."

Taking a deep breath, she starts again. "O-Okay, so I thought I'd come back and see what you were up to--" wait he does remember her right cause it would be /so awkward/ if he didn't... not that they knew each other all that well to begin with, but uh; she gives him a pained smile and adds, "you remember me, right? I was here with a carnivine, maybe two weeks ago" or two days... time's all relative here in the Safari Zone; without giving him a chance to answer, she waves it off. "N-Never mind, it doesn't matter.

"Anyway, so I came back here and started poking around the front room and there was a locked door to the kitch-- well, it /says/ 'kitchen' on it, but... and I asked my abra to beam us in there 'cause I smelled someone cooking and I--" thought it might be you, wanted to see if I could help "-- was curious about it, so he did and then we were in a tiny dark room and he turned the lights on and there was furniture on the walls and oh yeah the floor was glass and there were /stars/ and I still don't know what was going on there, and then the wall opened and I looked outside and it was Len" relevant gesture "making eggs, and then there were a bunch of-- a /bunch/ of clefairy and their kin and there was a shiny clefairy with a stabbity hat - I said that before, but it was worth saying again to try to get across how weird it was that there was suddenly this shiny clefairy in a stabbity hat though I guess not much more weird than the rest of everything."

She catches that she's starting to ramble again, so she takes another sip of the water and continues. "So he wanted to know how I got there - oh yeah, he spoke English, but that was kind of, you know, not questioned after the whole everything else, so I told him everything I just told you, and then we talked and he said stuff about his sister and how... Team Rocket had his sister on a language program or... something... and-- no wait, it was that Team Rocket was stealing moon stones from caves around here and his sister was... also in the caves. Or something. So I have to stop Team Rocket and find his sister and also maybe Len's family." Len pouts at the way his situation is just mentioned in a throwaway line, but it escapes her notice.

"Soooooo then after that was all settled the guy teleports me and Pierre and Len back when I didn't even /know/ until I did 'cause did you know spaceships are a long way from Earth? And it was like five miles away, in front of a haunted house that I poked around in until I left and I left into a /whole bunch of fog/ it was /really really foggy/ I could barely see" trembling sip of the water "and I didn't know where I waaaaas, so I just kept going until I found these guys and saved him from him" relevant gestures; that reminds her, they're probably awfully hungry and they wouldn't be satisfied with ramen...

She turns to Lang and Gengar (she had a gengar named Nidorino, of course). "By the way, you guys can go scavenge over there if you're hungry." She gestures towards the field in general - they should be in fine enough health for that, and she'd pay the guy back for anything they caught. As they pounce off, she returns to the man and her story. "Anyway, so I got them and scared off an extremely irritating murkrow who kept screaming extremely irritatingly, and it dropped this...?" She pulls out the pin or badge or whatever it was and tosses it in front of her. "So I thought it might know where people were so I followed it and then I found this place and yeah um..."

She starts to sniffle; after everything she did, he really was too kind. She stands and wipes her cheek not nearly as subtly as she thinks she does and then, mostly spurred on by fatigue and the habit of not thinking before acting, she squeezes the blue-haired man in a hug, sniffling into his shoulder and cursing herself for how she probably looks and smells. "Thank you! I was so rude, and you gave me some water and listened to me and thank you!"

She pulls away, eyes cast to the ground in embarrassment as she fiddles with the bottle of water. "I... I don't think we've even been properly introduced." A shy glance to meet his eyes. "I-I'm Midnight. Um... it's nice to-- no... um... thank you!" Eyes down again and ears beet red. She's not great in these situations at her best.

((longest post yet woohoo go recaps.))

Last edited:
(( I APOLOGIZE FOR BEING SLOW AND BRIEF ))

He nods and relaxes slightly at the mention of the carnivine. Hurray, crazy people not trying to introduce him to the sky. ... Again. (They're very close friends; the wind, the land, the sky, his face.)

He seems to pay attention throughout the plot recap story, though it's a bit questionable how much of that he actually follows. He definitely looks like he understands some of the bits with the clefairy! -- but he looks blankly concerned for the Team Rocket bit.

He makes a face at the hug! ... It is not exactly the happiest face. Why you gotta make him feel less like a villain? It's very cruel and cold and many other things that he periodically tries to be.

"... Hi, Midnight!" THINK BRAIN THINK FAKE NAME FAKE NAME -- eh he's not particularly in disguise anyway screw it. "I'm ... James?"

The fields are a good deal quieter than they have been in recent days, not that you're likely to notice; it's raining. Most pokémon seem to be settled among the shrubbery.

The fearow nibbles at a rock, or possibly a fungus: the caves nearby seem to have flooded. The shuckle squeaks as it picks it up and drops it in front of you, but it seems satisfied that you're not going to eat it.

Almost as an afterthought, you pick up the small glittering rock that it'd been sitting near. It probably had been dusty, but with the rain....

Obtained one (1) female shuckle and one (1) dusk stone.

It's a complete downpour when you walk back outside. It'd probably be completely impossible to find anything if there hadn't been free umbrellas by the door, and as it is you're pretty sure it won't take long before you're soaked to the bone.

There's a loud rumbling noise coming from -- a cave, probably; one of the many entrances to the Nigori Caves but that's not why you're here today, is it? -- and then a "NYAAARAO!" as a cat tries to bolt.

It's stuck in some clothing, which probably had been pretty classy before it was dragged through mud and left out in the rain. You might as well help it out.

Obtained one (1) male meowth and one (1) nearly unidentifiable tattered Team Rocket uniform.

I'll have a go at everything because I can. So, my RPthings:

She wanders into the house. She picks up the book, scans it briefly and nods slightly to herself. Confirming that in her backpack is every Pokémon she owns (minimised in their Pokéballs), she closes her eyes, concentrates hard and suddenly there are four of her.
"Sure is useful to have that ability, isn't it?"
"Yeah, though it's weird that we have it and no-one else has and no-one can explain it but whatever I guess."
"And our weird dreams about the lake trio might be connected I guess since they're psychic-types and all but that's sort of not important and I'm rambling again aren't I."
"Also good that everything on our person including our Pokéballs is duplicated as well."
"Yeah, three of us would be quite naked otherwise."
"So, I'll go to the fields."
"I'll head to the caves."
"I'll check out that garden, I guess."
"I smell cinnamon. I'll go check that out I suppose."

Fields of Meat
Wandering into the swampy field, she thanks her lucky Staryu that Nahasapeemipetilan the Torterra doesn't mind her sitting on his back.
"You know, Nahas, I hate poor writing, which is hypocritical of me I guess since my writing is kind of awful and I remember when my teacher told me that if I didn't improve my writing then I'd not get any marks on my tests 'cause they wouldn't be able to read it and ooh I liked that time when that teacher..."
"TERRA!"
"Yeah, I'm rambling again, aren't I which is odd 'cause isn't rambling wandering around the country and oh I see it's because it's wandering and so's the speech pattern and oh wait I'm doing it again aren't I."
Torterra growls in the affirmative and they proceed into the actual Pokémon-inhabited area of the swamp.

Nigori Caves
They head outside, into a network of caves.
"Bah, this place is kind of awfully written in the guidebook too but it's at least more legible than the one before and hey you are okay with geothermal stuff aren't you I mean you're a grass type and all so you'd be uncomfortable in extreme heat but you're also a ground-type and they live in hot places and you lived in a volcanoey area didn't you but wait how did you feed after all surely there were no small prey-type Pokémon to feed on oh but you can eat rocks and stuff can't you so yeah I guess that'd work and I'm doing it again I should stop now."
"Terra, Torterra."
"Yeah, I know, I ramble far too much and it's making this place all echoey and probably gonna wake up a Zubat or zomething and I hear they drink blood and --"
"Terr... Terra!"
"Sorry yeah I know and it's getting dark I should send out a Pokémon with a light shouldn't I go Ponyta you can take the heat being a fire-type and all but wait geothermal stuff is often associated with water and if you fall in then you'll --"
Ponyta neighs softly and stamps on the ground.
"Yeah, I know."
They move into the darkness of the cave. Mismagius has apparently let himself out of his Pokéball, as he's darting behind her head.

Inside the Building
Heading down the stairs, they see the guy.
"He looks sad, doesn't he Nahas? Shall we see what's up?"
"Terra, tor trra rra," He makes a vague affirmative gesture, and promptly gets stuck in a doorframe.
"I guess you're too big for indoors... Seems obvious now. Return, and come out again on the other side of the door."
Together they walk towards the lavender-haired guy. They bring bottlecaps, for no reason except they have a feeling they'll be useful. They hope they will be.

Mmm... cinnamon...
"Cinnamon... tasty. Whaddayouthink Gallade?"
"Gallade, lade."
"Yeah... good thing I warned me about sending Nahas out inside. Good to have someone powerful to protect you though. Weird that I can experience and think everything that all of the other me can but the current me takes precedence so that I don't have to worry about filtering out the other me's thoughts and is this what it's like when you Pokémon use Double... Team... Cinnamon... Paprika... Food always makes me lose my thread. What was I saying?"
"Gal."
"Eh whatever. So, let's find the kitchen or whatever and get something to eat."

{Out-world note: typo in the first post: "but you've wurmple, budew, carnivine, silcoon, and drowzee so far" should have a 'found' before Wurmple. Man this took a while to type and is this place even still open?}

I'll have a go at everything because I can. So, my RPthings:

She wanders into the house. She picks up the book, scans it briefly and nods slightly to herself. Confirming that in her backpack is every Pokémon she owns (minimised in their Pokéballs), she closes her eyes, concentrates hard and suddenly there are four of her.
"Sure is useful to have that ability, isn't it?"
"Yeah, though it's weird that we have it and no-one else has and no-one can explain it but whatever I guess."
"And our weird dreams about the lake trio might be connected I guess since they're psychic-types and all but that's sort of not important and I'm rambling again aren't I."
"Also good that everything on our person including our Pokéballs is duplicated as well."
"Yeah, three of us would be quite naked otherwise."
"So, I'll go to the fields."
"I'll head to the caves."
"I'll check out that garden, I guess."
"I smell cinnamon. I'll go check that out I suppose."

Fields of Meat
Wandering into the swampy field, she thanks her lucky Staryu that Nahasapeemipetilan the Torterra doesn't mind her sitting on his back.
"You know, Nahas, I hate poor writing, which is hypocritical of me I guess since my writing is kind of awful and I remember when my teacher told me that if I didn't improve my writing then I'd not get any marks on my tests 'cause they wouldn't be able to read it and ooh I liked that time when that teacher..."
"TERRA!"
"Yeah, I'm rambling again, aren't I which is odd 'cause isn't rambling wandering around the country and oh I see it's because it's wandering and so's the speech pattern and oh wait I'm doing it again aren't I."
Torterra growls in the affirmative and they proceed into the actual Pokémon-inhabited area of the swamp.

Nigori Caves
They head outside, into a network of caves.
"Bah, this place is kind of awfully written in the guidebook too but it's at least more legible than the one before and hey you are okay with geothermal stuff aren't you I mean you're a grass type and all so you'd be uncomfortable in extreme heat but you're also a ground-type and they live in hot places and you lived in a volcanoey area didn't you but wait how did you feed after all surely there were no small prey-type Pokémon to feed on oh but you can eat rocks and stuff can't you so yeah I guess that'd work and I'm doing it again I should stop now."
"Terra, Torterra."
"Yeah, I know, I ramble far too much and it's making this place all echoey and probably gonna wake up a Zubat or zomething and I hear they drink blood and --"
"Terr... Terra!"
"Sorry yeah I know and it's getting dark I should send out a Pokémon with a light shouldn't I go Ponyta you can take the heat being a fire-type and all but wait geothermal stuff is often associated with water and if you fall in then you'll --"
Ponyta neighs softly and stamps on the ground.
"Yeah, I know."
They move into the darkness of the cave. Mismagius has apparently let himself out of his Pokéball, as he's darting behind her head.

Inside the Building
Heading down the stairs, they see the guy.
"He looks sad, doesn't he Nahas? Shall we see what's up?"
"Terra, tor trra rra," He makes a vague affirmative gesture, and promptly gets stuck in a doorframe.
"I guess you're too big for indoors... Seems obvious now. Return, and come out again on the other side of the door."
Together they walk towards the lavender-haired guy. They bring bottlecaps, for no reason except they have a feeling they'll be useful. They hope they will be.

Mmm... cinnamon...
"Cinnamon... tasty. Whaddayouthink Gallade?"
"Gallade, lade."
"Yeah... good thing I warned me about sending Nahas out inside. Good to have someone powerful to protect you though. Weird that I can experience and think everything that all of the other me can but the current me takes precedence so that I don't have to worry about filtering out the other me's thoughts and is this what it's like when you Pokémon use Double... Team... Cinnamon... Paprika... Food always makes me lose my thread. What was I saying?"
"Gal."
"Eh whatever. So, let's find the kitchen or whatever and get something to eat."

{Out-world note: typo in the first post: "but you've wurmple, budew, carnivine, silcoon, and drowzee so far" should have a 'found' before Wurmple. Man this took a while to type and is this place even still open?}
Multiple places at once, eh? Bit tricky to get the hang of; there's usually something about conflicting sensory input and more importantly ... there's a strong sense of the narrator's disapproval. Something about plot conflicts. It's worth looking into.

nel campo

The pokémon-inhabited area of the swamp ... isn't.

There's a faint sense that there should be more pokémon wandering around, if only the scavengers (you can see bone fragments in the few bits of shrubbery clinging to life), but it's strangely quiet. The torterra refuses to approach one incline, though; if you look off the turtle, you can see one (1) male grimer sulking in a trench.

nella grotta

In retrospect, it was probably a bad idea to have so many pokémon out at once. You can hear echoes of squawks and stomps, but as soon as you approach them, all movement stops. Even with the ponyta's light, it's hard to find anything other than one (1) territorial male loudred bellowing at you. It doesn't seem willing to actually approach you to try to chase you off; it might've noticed the misdreavus.

nell'edificio

Bottlecaps?

The sleepy hobo looks over at you as you walk in; he seems a bit bored. He tenses a bit at the torterra, though: it's a bit ... big. And terrifying.

"... good afternoon," he mutters as he sprawls over the chair and goes back to watching one (1) female weepinbell try to climb the stairs. It's not very good at it.

nella cucina

The cabinets are in clear disrepair; the doors are falling off and you can see mildew stains. Other than that, the kitchen looks clean, and above all, unoccupied.

There's something in the oven.

(( I don't mind if you adventure in multiple areas at once, but I'd prefer if you didn't try to RP more than one thing at a time. I try to actually have plot and continuity! -- but that doesn't really work if you're in multiple places in the same thread. Particularly if you get abducted by aliens.

Also, please don't use OOC knowledge ICly when it comes to my favourite hobo. :(

Thanks for mentioning the typo, but I'm not fixing it right now... THIS THREAD IT IS OUT OF DATE ; ; ))

[Going to the Fey Manse with Shadow~]
A mawile is hiking to the top of the hill. It is halfway up when it looks at its shuppet companion, Shadow, and mutters, "Eh, screw this," and lets her murkrow, Corinna out.

Mawile and Shadow then fly to the top of the hill and land at a house.
The mawile calls back Corinna and checks the pockets of its purple fleece jacket and feels $22 of coins in there.

It flips through the guidebook rather swiftly, stopping at a page labeled "THE FEY MANSE". It looks to Shadow for approval, and the shuppet nods.

[Going to the Fey Manse with Shadow~]
A mawile is hiking to the top of the hill. It is halfway up when it looks at its shuppet companion, Shadow, and mutters, "Eh, screw this," and lets her murkrow, Corinna out.

Mawile and Shadow then fly to the top of the hill and land at a house.
The mawile calls back Corinna and checks the pockets of its purple fleece jacket and feels $22 of coins in there.

It flips through the guidebook rather swiftly, stopping at a page labeled "THE FEY MANSE". It looks to Shadow for approval, and the shuppet nods.
(( Oh, whoa. A few seconds earlier and I might've not spotted this. Also, holy shit: my generator pulled up a shiny female growlithe ... for the section right after this one. SO NEAR and yet so far...! ))

The guidebook itself is about as helpful as expected: it isn't. It might've been at some point, but it isn't now, and that's what matters.

Still, it's easy enough to find, given a half-hour of searching. Oddly, you don't come across any wild pokémon while stomping around... though that may be related to the whole 'stomping' thing. You never know.

The building itself looks ... almost entirely unlike the guidebook picture. It's strange, though; if you squint, it looks like the picture, but otherwise it's large and concrete and utilitarian. If you distilled the essence of Soviet Russia into a building and left it alone for decades, it would be this building.

Somehow, you still have a feeling of this being the right place. It might be the three (3) cheery female haunter in the window, or the two (2) squads (3-7) of uniformed* clefairy standing on the porch arguing.

* Well, one squad's uniformed (black beret, black jacket, red R necklace); the other is wearing brightly-coloured ushankas.

The mawile stared, amused at the arguing clefairy.

Worried that one would see it, the mawile snuck by, careful to actually not stomp for once. But that's kind of hard when you're wearing hiking boots, a bag with eleven pokeballs, and trying to not get a shuppet to pull a prank on the clefairy.

Now that it could think, this did seem like the right place. But then again, this mawile has a twisted mind.

The mawile stared, amused at the arguing clefairy.

Worried that one would see it, the mawile snuck by, careful to actually not stomp for once. But that's kind of hard when you're wearing hiking boots, a bag with eleven pokeballs, and trying to not get a shuppet to pull a prank on the clefairy.

Now that it could think, this did seem like the right place. But then again, this mawile has a twisted mind.
The clefairy with the neon green ushanka tries to meet your eyes as you pass, but they let you through without a fuss. Let's just hope they'll not object to you leaving later.

It's a bit hard to see inside the building -- the shuppet seems to approve -- but there's a clear sense of fancy fancy fun times. One of the aforementioned female haunter is poking at one (1) nidorina on a slightly-moldy fainting couch, for example.

Maybe the haunter needs some entertainment.

The mawile sees this and proceeds to take a pair of bright blue shorts out of its backpack. It then places said shorts on its head and starts skipping around.

The shuppet is highly amused.

Multiple places at once, eh? Bit tricky to get the hang of; there's usually something about conflicting sensory input and more importantly ... there's a strong sense of the narrator's disapproval. Something about plot conflicts. It's worth looking into.

nel campo

The pokémon-inhabited area of the swamp ... isn't.

There's a faint sense that there should be more pokémon wandering around, if only the scavengers (you can see bone fragments in the few bits of shrubbery clinging to life), but it's strangely quiet. The torterra refuses to approach one incline, though; if you look off the turtle, you can see one (1) male grimer sulking in a trench.

nella grotta

In retrospect, it was probably a bad idea to have so many pokémon out at once. You can hear echoes of squawks and stomps, but as soon as you approach them, all movement stops. Even with the ponyta's light, it's hard to find anything other than one (1) territorial male loudred bellowing at you. It doesn't seem willing to actually approach you to try to chase you off; it might've noticed the misdreavus.

nell'edificio

Bottlecaps?

The sleepy hobo looks over at you as you walk in; he seems a bit bored. He tenses a bit at the torterra, though: it's a bit ... big. And terrifying.

"... good afternoon," he mutters as he sprawls over the chair and goes back to watching one (1) female weepinbell try to climb the stairs. It's not very good at it.

nella cucina

The cabinets are in clear disrepair; the doors are falling off and you can see mildew stains. Other than that, the kitchen looks clean, and above all, unoccupied.

There's something in the oven.

(( I don't mind if you adventure in multiple areas at once, but I'd prefer if you didn't try to RP more than one thing at a time. I try to actually have plot and continuity! -- but that doesn't really work if you're in multiple places in the same thread. Particularly if you get abducted by aliens.

Also, please don't use OOC knowledge ICly when it comes to my favourite hobo. :(

Thanks for mentioning the typo, but I'm not fixing it right now... THIS THREAD IT IS OUT OF DATE ; ; ))

{Sorry, I was half asleep and under some pretty powerful painkillers when I wrote that, so my brain was so fuzzy that I was in no position to judge whether or not it was a good idea. I guess we just pretend that these are all occurring at different times? That works. I see it as about a week apart each time. It does look stupid in hindsight, doesn't it -- I actually planned to change it this morning if you hadn't seen it. But you had, and that ruined my cunning plan. >:/ }

Fields of meat
"Hmm, Grimer. Might be worth my time? Or, maybe... Go, Surskit! Try a Sweet Scent!"
Shaking its antenna, the water-skater causes a cloud of pink pollen to appear out of nowhere.

Nigori Caves
{Actually, he's a Mismagius.}
"Nahasapeemipetalan, I'm going to try at catching that Exploud... Try a Superpower? The only fighting move you've got. Since I also would like to catch other Pokémon, Mismagius, return."
Mismagius dissolves into a ball of red light and retreats to its Pokéball. Opening its mouth wide, the Torterra forms a ball of red energy in its mouth, hurling it clumsily towards the Exploud. While it doesn't strike head-on, the explosion that results coupled with the fighting-type power is sufficient to cause the Exploud to keel over. It's still conscious, but only just.
"Good jab, Nahas! And I guess you're scaring off the other Pokémon too? Return, I guess."
Torterra too returns to the safety of its Pokéball. Removing a Great Ball from the stash of Pokéballs she always keeps on her person for just such a situation, she tosses it at the Exploud.

Inside the building
In retrospect, she figures, perhaps a Torterra isn't the best Pokémon to have indoors or when interacting with people and hey look, the Victreebel just fell down the stairs!
She recalls the Torterra, sends out a Gallade, and heads into the bamboo-and-dead-plants part. After watching the Victreebel try amusingly once more.

Mmm... Cinnamon...
"I wonder what's in the oven?"
She moves towards it in an unspecified manner, and opens the oven door.

I put on my robe and wizard hat and enter the Nigori Caves with Floating Potato, the Magnemite.

Back
Top Bottom