• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Trends in choice of fighting game characters.

Storm Earth and Fire

Would you like to make a contract?
I looked over my own choices in preferred fighting game characters and noticed no real trend, my choices seem to be all over the place. Then I thought, 'This would be a neat thread.', but the downtime hit.

Now that we're back, though, have any of you fans of fighters noticed a trend in what sort of characters you pick (and main)? Do you go for heavy? Quick and light? Balance? Cuteness?

Here are my preferences off the top of my head, alert me to any trends you see...:

2D:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Pokemon Trainer
SSBM: Link
Marvel vs. Capcom: Strider Hiryuu, Mega Man
MvC2: Cable, Sentinel, Servbot
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Morrigan, Karas/Saki
Street Fighter (in all games he's in): Zangief
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift: Taokaka, Litchi Faye Ling
Capcom vs. SNK 2: Yuri, Evil Ryu, Nakoruru, Zangief

3D:
Dead or Alive: Bayman (Leon where not available)
Soulcalibur: Sophitia, Cassandra

Last edited:
I use Fox mostly in SSB, Vermillion in BlazBlue, and in Soulcaliber... um, Yoshimitzu. >.< With the occasion of Talim and some other sword user.

I looked over my own choices in preferred fighting game characters and noticed no real trend, my choices seem to be all over the place. Then I thought, 'This would be a neat thread.', but the downtime hit.

Now that we're back, though, have any of you fans of fighters noticed a trend in what sort of characters you pick (and main)? Do you go for heavy? Quick and light? Balance? Cuteness?

Here are my preferences off the top of my head, alert me to any trends you see...:

2D:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Pokemon Trainer
SSBM: Link
Marvel vs. Capcom: Strider Hiryuu, Mega Man
MvC2: Cable, Sentinel, Servbot
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Morrigan, Karas/Saki
Street Fighter (in all games he's in): Zangief
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift: Taokaka, Litchi Faye Ling

3D:
Dead or Alive: Bayman (Leon where not available)
Soulcalibur: Sophitia, Cassandra

I've only ever played SSBM and SSBB(as well as a tiny, tiny amount of MvC2), but it looks like you prefer technical fighters. Both Link and PT require mastery of their tools(or in PT's case the Pokemon swap) in order to effectively use them, and I would imagine Mega Man having a lot of weapons as well.

Well, in the fighting games I play, I tend to go for characters that I either like or present the most challenge for me. If they are both at the same time, that makes me happier.

For example, Pichu and Kirby are the worst characters in SSBM(I'd say Pichu is better than Kirby but I don't play competitively so), yet I love them both and they presented me a challenge while playing. In fact, I'd say Melee alone is the reason why Pichu is in my top 3 favorite Pokemon(next to Charizard and Vaporeon).

Then, when I got Brawl, I liked Dedede, but I hated how he played. Despite this, it was a challenge for me to overcome, so I forced myself to like his playstyle and now he is one of my favorite fighters in the game. Ganondorf is the worst character in this game, yet I have a blast playing as him. In fact, Ganondorf is the character I play the most.

I tend to play all of the characters myself actually... My mains are usually the ones that catch my eye first, usually by moveset, or combo capabilities. All of my mains usually combo friendly =D

KOF02UM: K', Angel, and Vanessa. K' is ALWAYS on my team. In XI, due to lack of Angel, I use Oswald, just cause he's fuckin' awesome.
Guilty Gear X2: Slayer and Faust all the way...
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: As long as Batsu, or Casshan are with me,I'm good. Planning on ditching someone for Zero when UAS comes out. I'm decent with Soki as well.
BlazBlue: Bang, Tao, and Rachel are all that need to be said for me. Rachel being my current best. Been practicing Tager and Carl though, cause Carl's awesome, and Tager's the first tank I've liked since Potemkin, an Clark.
Tekken 6: Law, Law, and Law. I also some Lili and Miguel out there for variety.
Melty Blood: C-Ryougi, C-Nanaya, F-Shiki, H-Roa, and F-Ryougi are all that need to be said.

superyoshi888, "worst character in the game" is relative. Myself, I've always been better at handling Pikachu than with any other character.

Also, I don't think most people would really have a trend -- fighting games often have really different styles. However, I do often find myself preferring the fast characters.

superyoshi888, "worst character in the game" is relative. Myself, I've always been better at handling Pikachu than with any other character.

I'm speaking at a strictly competitive level of play when I mention "worst character in the game." With items on, Ganondorf actually becomes one of the best characters in the game.

I pick characters that are really weird/underused. I tend to play as Wario and Dedede a lot in Brawl, and I think I've used Dan once.

I don't play fighting games all that much, but when I do it tends to follow the same sort of pattern; hit fast, hit often. I play Pikachu in SSB (all of them >w<). I can destroy things with him.

I like to use the Wing Star in Kirby's Air Ride (it's not really a fighting game but it has parts like it), and high Speed Pokemon in Pokemon games as well, soyeah.

I pick characters that are really weird/underused. I tend to play as Wario and Dedede a lot in Brawl, and I think I've used Dan once.

Dan can actually be pretty deadly in the right hands. Being KOed by his super taunt is a 2D fighter's worst fear, after KOF98's Omega Rugal, and Justice of course.

The only fighting game I have played is brawl, and I normally pick random. Though...my faves are king dedede and mr game and watch.

I hardly play any fighter games, but I always seem to go for the fast characters. So... Pikachu or Squirtle in SSBB, and Taokaka in BlazBlue. However, I seem to notice that my secondary characters are often slower and heavier (but by no means breaking scales or anything), as well as harder hitters, such as, hm. Ivysaur and Link, when I feel like messing about in SSBB, and Ragna in BlazBlue.

I've only ever played SSBM and SSBB(as well as a tiny, tiny amount of MvC2), but it looks like you prefer technical fighters. Both Link and PT require mastery of their tools(or in PT's case the Pokemon swap) in order to effectively use them, and I would imagine Mega Man having a lot of weapons as well.

Quite possibly, something I did notice is that I don't pick particularly big and slow characters, though I did use Astaroth a lot in SC2. Although Mega Man in MvC1 isn't terribly technical, as opposed to TvC where Volnutt gets a full arsenal that does take some practice.

Sentinel and Cable are by no means complex characters, but Servbot is an awful lot like Pichu, though the moves he takes from Tron Bonne are stronger in some subtle ways.

Karas isn't too technical, just takes more damage than pretty much anyone else. Saki took some getting used to, though, being pure keep-away.

Tao is not technical in my book. Litchi maybe.

I also use Pikachu in Brawl and Melee, just not as much as Trainer/Link.
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: As long as Batsu, or Casshan are with me,I'm good. Planning on ditching someone for Zero when UAS comes out. I'm decent with Soki as well.
Soki is easy unless the other guy is way better than you. Spam stabs and go oni. =P
BlazBlue: Bang, Tao, and Rachel are all that need to be said for me. Rachel being my current best. Been practicing Tager and Carl though, cause Carl's awesome, and Tager's the first tank I've liked since Potemkin, an Clark.

Tager is awesome, but not my sort of character, as stated above. And Tager versus v-13 isn't fair.

I don't play fighting games that much, but I favor Lucario and Pokemon Trainer (which Pokemon depending on my opponent, if I even think about that at all, otherwise I just rotate regularly) in Brawl. In the original SSB I'd always play Pikachu or Jigglypuff. In Melee... same thing, maybe sometimes Mewtwo. I think the trend there is obvious.

In Final Fantasy Dissidia, I play as Firion (whose primary strategy is to draw enemies close to him and then unleash combos, and failing that, just counter the crap out of the other player- also he's gorgeous) and Shantotto (who is from Final Fantasy XI and is the same race as my character). I also play as Kuja (because he's gorgeous) but after learning to play Firion and Shantotto I have a hard time with him because he's slower.

If I ever play a game someday with Iori in it (those are like, SNK games, right? something?) I'd pick him. I've always thought he was hot stuff.

I think I mostly choose based on looks or some other superficial reason, and learn how to actually play them from there, rather than actually picking characters with a particular fighting style.

to kind of expand based on FMC's post, my favorite vehicle in Kirby Air Ride is Meta Knight or Dark Star. It's like wing star only dark! And when it comes to RPGs (Pokemon, FF games with optional classes, etc.) I like really hard hitters. They don't even have to be fast, just something that can do massive damage like WOAH! OH MY GOD DID YOU JUST SEE THAT? Usually magic based though. I only have about an even amount of melee fighers and magic casters because that's what seems to work out best.

Last edited:
Hmm...

I haven't played a Street Fighter game in a while, but I know in Street Fighter 2 I usually picked Dhalsim.

Usually picked Sub-Zero or Scorpion in the Mortal Kombat series (but, again, haven't played one of those in a while.)

In the original Super Smash Bros., I always played Kirby. In Melee, I almost always picked either Captain Falcon or Yoshi (mostly Yoshi after a while), occasionally Ganondorf. In Brawl, I mostly use Yoshi and King Dedede, and sometimes Kirby or Ganondorf.

In Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, I generally use Nail, Android 17, Yajirobe, or Master Roshi.

And, in Mace: The Dark Age (not sure if anyone's ever heard of this one or not... I know I had never heard of it before I actually saw the arcade machine at the local bowling alley), I mostly played as Ragnar and Al-Rashid.

Not sure if there's any sort of recurring patterns there or not.

My major trend is usually playing as characters that people call the worst. If there's a tier list, with my luck, my favorites usually end up on the bottom (except Pokemon, I've gotten pretty lucky in that regard). As an example, I play as Mewtwo in SSBM, and Ganondorf in Brawl.

Yes, I still win a lot.

I've only played the Super Smash Bros. series, and the only other fighting game I knew of was Street Fighter. :P

I tend to pick quick characters. An example would be me absolutlely loving Sheik on SSBB. Then came Wolf who's my second favorite next to Toon Link. My usual second favorites are relativly speedy blugornauts, like Ike and, to some extent, Dedede. On the original Smash Bros I tended to pick Link and Pikachu, though that was more of a "Hey, I know these guys!" type of thing. In Melee I'm working on mastering Mewtwo, mostly because he's just awesome.
Now I want to play all of the fighting games other than SSB that were mentioned.

Tao is not technical in my book. Litchi maybe.

Not too technical, but after Carl, she's one of the best for mind games, if you can control her Drive.

Soki is easy unless the other guy is way better than you. Spam stabs and go oni. =P

Most people I end up playing, it's usually whoever can pull the best Baroque combos and a nicely timed Mega Crash =/
And Tager versus v-13 isn't fair.
I got a buddy who can make it fair =P But those people are mostly on Dustloop.

Totally forgot another fighting game I play obsessively x.x
Tales of Versus: Shing, Yuri, Mao. Mao's got crazy spell casting time, even without OVL or a Mystic Symbol, not to mention his crazy damage output with his tier 3 spells, Disaster Roar, and Blazing Hearts. Shing simply has the greatest combo ability in the game, especially with Canceler skills on, and he's one of the only 2 that can combo in the air. Yuri's just fun, and can FStrike. Ghost Wolf is a godsend too

I'm so lucky. Half the Pokemon I like are OU (Swampert, Bronzong) and the others are UU (Ampharos, Mismagius...)

I like fast characters for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom