• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished Warrior's Heir, and about to finish Wizard Heir. And, currently attempting to get The Dragon Heir and the Red Pyramid.

I bought Darren Shan's new book today. The Thin Executioner, I don't really have very high expectations, but i'm trusting Darren Shan to (hopefully) prove me wrong :/

I'm trying to read 100 books in 2010. I'm currently up to 29. I'm having trouble finding things to read and stick with them. Currently reading Warriors: Into the Wild by Erin Hunter and Beauty by Robin McKinley. Both are good thus far.

Kraken - China Mievelle, which is vying for the position of strangest book I've ever read.

Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence and Lucky by Alice Sebold. Both are good in very different ways, of course, though tbh Sebold's 'edgy' sense of humour and such kind of grind my gears sometimes. It's a very moving book and I feel terrible for her but she is incredibly irritating with how different and 'weird' she is, kind of like some characters (Susie's sister and the lesbian girl) in her other novel The Lovely Bones. I'm at around page 100 on both.

The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. It's....meh. I can see the talent behind it, but I just can't stop asking myself why all these people care so much about a Hebrew document that's pretty much just the book of Genesis with pretty pictures enough that they're willing to risk their lives to keep it safe (even Muslims!) If it were some kind of profound work that revolutionized the ancients' way of thinking, I could understand, but it's just....Genesis with pretty pictures. So it was the first codex to contain illustrations at a time when such a thing was taboo. Whoopty-flippin'-doo. What made it so much more valuable than all the other books that were destroyed? And yet again, religious diversity ONLY applies to Abrahamic religions. No need to mention atheists or any other secular group.

Last edited:
Just started read A Game of Thrones (George R. R. Martin), and I like it bunches so far. But wtf is up with Cersei's attitude about Arya's fight with Joffrey? She's all like, "LOL, I don't care if Lady didn't do it. As long some wolf gets put down I'll be happy."

Just started read A Game of Thrones (George R. R. Martin), and I like it bunches so far. But wtf is up with Cersei's attitude about Arya's fight with Joffrey? She's all like, "LOL, I don't care if Lady didn't do it. As long some wolf gets put down I'll be happy."

Read slowly. If you're lucky the next book will be out before you're done.

While waiting for the third Warriors book to be delivered to a library near me, I decided to read Anne Frank again just for the heck of it. It's good and I'm almost done. Beauty got really boring, so I think I'm going to take it back.

2001: A Space Odyssey

I also picked up I, Robot for later. I've been in a rather Sci-Fi mood lately and decided I needed to read some of the classics. :v

I'm currently rereading some stuff, including Interworld by Garth Nix and some other guy whose first name is Michael.

And the Skybreaker series. It's quite steampunkish.

Finished the third, fourth, and fifth Warriors books in the original series. About to start The Darkest Hour. Super excited! Also reading The Book Thief by Mark Zusak.

Currently rereading Rising Storm from the Warriors series for about the fifth or sixth time.

I've had an urge to reread Bluestar's Prophecy again but I hate to start something else when I'm already in the middle of a book/series. So I won't be rereading BP until I finish the entire original series -___-

Also reading The Book Thief by Mark Zusak.

My friend is a severely disturbed individual who gets daily counselling and maintains a snarky, non-chalant facade rather than express true emotion. The Book Thief is the only book that has ever made him cry. It is truly amazing.

Said friend also just lent me Grim Tuesday - Lady Friday, Sabriel and Lirael and The Fall - Aenir, so I have my work cut out for me.

And the Skybreaker series. It's quite steampunkish.
oh god the first two books were some of my favourites. goddamn novels about airships goddamn. and I just found out that Oppel wrote a third one. must get.

just finished The Remains of the Day which is really sad in its own special way. and Solaris which is just odd (sentient oceans wtf). now I'm on A Clockwork Orange which takes about twice as long to read because of all the freaky slang.

Currently reading Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov. He is a bloody genius (and I love the names! Stor Gendibal, Janov Pelorat, Poly Verisof).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom