• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon pronouncications you got wrong

Re: Pokémon pronouncications you got wrong

Piloswine as PILL-uh-swine
Cofagrigus as if it had a certain slur in it (which it technically does, but I pronounce that bit that way)
Cranidos as CRANN-ee-dose
Gardevoir as GAR-duh-voyr
Drapion as DRAY-pee-uhn

There are probably others, but I can only think of these right now.

For all I know, I've been pronouncing almost all of them wrong. But then again, even the anime has no idea how to pronounce the names some of the time. Case in point. Skip to 1:40.

These are some of the "wrong" ways I pronounce Pokémon, although a lot of these I refuse to pronounce them the "right" way:
Reuniclus - REE-YOU-NUH-CLUS
Rayquaza - RAY-KWAA-ZAA
Garbodor - GAR-BO-DORE
Shellos - SHELL-OSE
Arceus - AR-SEE-US
Raikou - RAI-KOO
Illumise - ILL-YOU-MIZE

Apart from Rayquaza and Raikou, I'm with you on all of these.

Plus ree-you-nuh-clus sounds so nice

Apparently Ferroseed is not FERRO-seed (You know, like ferros metals)

Also until I saw the Hawlucha episode I've said conkel-durr not con-KEL-dur

The anime is confusing on Machamp and co. Sometimes it's ma-CHAMP sometimes MAH-champ (I prefer the latter, because macho)

I always say Raikou as RAI-koo not Rai-koh

Liepard as LEE-purd because the ie in German is and ee sound not an eye

Unfezant as OON-fezant because German again (like unglaublich)

I always read Zebstrika as Zebastrika (blame Pearls Before Swine, and Zeeba Neighbor)

Audino as ow-DEEN-o

I just learned today that there is a second i in Sigilyph. Always thought it was Siglyph.

ree OON i klus

Some others:

Unfezant as unn-fuh-ZAHNT
Dewott as DEE-wott
Cobalion as coh-BAL-ee-uhn

I've seen people here, including myself, say Lujia for Lugia, even though it makes no sense.

I've seen people here, including myself, say Lujia for Lugia, even though it makes no sense.

Actually in Italian Lugia probably would sound like that, since "gi" in Italian makes the soft-g sound.

I bought Pokedex 3D Pro literally just to be sure how to pronounce Reuniclus and Illumise. The funny thing is, I was already pronouncing them right.

I also learned that Ferroseed and Ferrothorn are "fair raw seed" and "fair raw thorn". Instead of being pronounced like "ferrous", y'know, the word their names are based off of. So yeah, I refuse to pronounce these two 'correctly' out of principle.

I also like to pronounce Conkeldurr "conkle durr" because it sounds funny, even though I know it's "conk elder". 'Conkle' is my favorite not-a-word. Conkle.

also I guess random accents in the wrong place.

I think I got Durant wrong because I like DUR-ant more than du-RANT.

Somehow I messed up Tornadus and Tordnodus, even though Tornado is the root.

Also I pronounce the Sword bunch as eon (ter RACK eon) not as yun (ter RAKE yun) because it sounds better to me

I didn't think about Conkeldurr at all until my favorite youtube LPer explained he sees Conkle-durr even though he knows it was supposed to be conk-elder and then spent the rest of the game calling a certain enemy conkle-durr and so now I can't not call it conkle-durr

I'm pretty sure a lot of people here are like me in that this thread has made them realise they pronounce far more Pokémon names wrong than what they originally listed.

A more French pronunciation of Gallade (similar to "facade").

Chimecho as Chime-cho.

Gyarados and Giratina with a soft G, though I kind of prefer it that way. I also think the first syllable of Suicune should center around the "u", not the "i". And the Deino line should totally be pronounced the German way.

as a scottish person my speech is actually limited entirely to angry honking noises, so i always get pokemon pronunciations 100% right. it's hard, being so perfect all the time :~(

tho i have absolutely no idea how to say yveltal and i've never cared to look it up so to me it's why-vet-al. why vet at all? how irresponsible! microchip your pokemon, kids

tbh the pokemon franchise isn't even consistent with how to pronounce pokemon so there really isn't a "correct" way to pronounce like, a lot of them

it's super fun putting pokemon names into google translate for different languages and clicking the "listen" button, though!

tbh the pokemon franchise isn't even consistent with how to pronounce pokemon so there really isn't a "correct" way to pronounce like, a lot of them

Yeah this! Even if they're consistent on something and that's supposedly the 'right' way, if I think my way of saying a name is prettier I'll... stick with it... ?_? because like, they're fictional, so I do what I want!

Tropius always really confused me. I know it stems from "tropical" but I can't help but occasionally scan it more like the "tro" in tropes.

Also, pius? Is it "pee-us" or "π-us"? I always opted for the latter (along with the tro in tropical) so I always ended up pronouncing it like troh-π-us.

I remember how some kid in school years back kept pronouncing kyogre "koi-gri" and I was just "no come on that's not how you say it, I'm not sure how you're "supposed" to say it but I'm pretty sure it's not koi-gri" As for me, I used to say "kyooh-greh" but now say "kaioh-gree"

I also pronounce Regice as "Reg-ice" and not "Reggie-ice" even though the latter one is apparently "canon". Reg-ice just makes more sense

I always pronounced Nidoking as "Nai-dough-king," when it's apparently "Nee-dough-king."

i always pronounced Groudon as Groundon when I was younger, adding an N
and nowadays I pronouce Yveltal as ee-vel-tal and i have no idea what's right and what isn't.

Back
Top Bottom