• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo 3DS

WELL FU-HU-HUCK YOU THEN.
I really miss the way Nintendo used to be. You know, before the Wii (I.E. Gamecube, N64, etc.). They were such a great company, and now they seem to be deteriorating as the years progress. And I know, Sony isn't perfect, but at least they're bringing something new to the table (which is kind of ironic to say; anyone heard of a little thing Playstation Move?).

You mean back before Nintendo let Microsoft have Rare? Those bastards probably won't even let Rare revive Killer Instinct >:C

Btw, dual-analog will be fun as hell, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want them.

i can play ape escape. on a handheld. with dual analog sticks. fuck that on the loose shit.

That completely untrue. I'm not saying that a game isn't good if it doesn't have great graphics; I'm a huge fan of old-school RPGs, I can assuredly say graphics really don't influence my opinion on buying a game that much. But look at Mass Effect. Uncharted. Final Fantasy XIII. Grpahics are a major of those games, and they look outstanding. What if that same effect could be achieved on a handheld, which are known to have graphic sub-par, compared to a console?

Aye, I hear you on that, though if you ask me, it isn't really the graphics so much as the art direction. It's the art direction that gives a game its feeling and personality. Mass Effect impressed by doing that hard sci-fi shit right where no game has succeeded since System Shock 2, and FFXIII is just... Well, I might be pushing it to say it's pretty much pure beauty on a disc, but at the same time, it's an understatement.

You raise a good point. I forgot about games like Vieutiful Joe, Okami, and Shadow of the Colossus, where graphics are good, but it's actually the art direction that takes the cake. Graphics definitely enhance that, though.

XIII is quite amazing though. Versus looks even better. >=D

Then I factor in everything else. I'm not sure if I've said this or not, but I've strongly disliked Nintendo, the 3DS included, for a couple of years now. They completely lack creativity, and so does the 3DS. It looks exactly the same, has the same shitty graphics, a horrible battery life, and for what? Fucking 3D!? Excuse my hostility, but really? Is that the best you can do, Nintendo?

What? The graphics are at least on par with the Wii, it has the 3D screens (yes, this is a major innovation in terms of games), 3D photos AND video, Augmented Reality games built into the system (IIRC, Sony did do something like this, but the unfortunate fact is that Nintendo will likely find a larger audience for this). And why does the appearance of the handheld matter, anyways (no, I honestly want to know this. Why change what ain't broke)? Really, the only major disappointment is the battery life, and that's better than some portable devices anyways.

And then I look at the PSP2. It's marvelous. Dual-analog, motion-sensing, huge OLED touchscreen AND a rear-touch screen (:D), and the things a fucking powerhouse. No, graphics probably will not "rival" the PS3's, but it'll come pretty damn close. And while the design is relatively the same, it's sleek, a good size, and I love it. And you know what? It'll probably be the most expensive thing ever made. But that's not the point. Sony's new handheld is innovative; it does so many things one couldn't imagine a handheld to do. It may revolutionize handheld gaming. And I know many of you don't care much for most of the things the PSP has to offer, but you have to give Sony some credit for what they're doing.

I'm actually impressed with the Sony handheld. Thing is tho, I don't honestly see how it is innovative...at least how it is anymore innovative than the 3DS besides graphical power. As far as I can tell, both systems will be focusing on wireless communications. Both have an accelerometer built in. Both have touch screens. Really, as far as I'm concerned, the NGP only has that sweet screen and overall power over the 3DS.

I can't wait to get my hands on the 3DS. I really wish I could get a small taste of it right now. But March isn't that far away, and I'll have Pokemon White to tide me over.

The thing about 3DS is that they're also working on adding various things to it, mainly because the handheld market also has to deal with the iPhone now.

I don't see how the 3D is any less innovative than rear touch-screens or dual analog sticks.

What? The graphics are at least on par with the Wii, it has the 3D screens (yes, this is a major innovation in terms of games), 3D photos AND video, Augmented Reality games built into the system (IIRC, Sony did do something like this, but the unfortunate fact is that Nintendo will likely find a larger audience for this). And why does the appearance of the handheld matter, anyways (no, I honestly want to know this. Why change what ain't broke)? Really, the only major disappointment is the battery life, and that's better than some portable devices anyways.
Which aren't very good at all to begin with, to be perfectly honest. Yes, it has Augmented Reality, which the NGP also has. I have no control over whether people use it more on the 3DS instead of the PSP, so it really doesn't matter. What else... that's it? Oh, I almost forgot, 3D.

I really don't want to talk about my strong distaste for 3D, but I guess I will. It's the most overrated thing ever, and the hype over it as of late is quite unbelievable. What's funny is that I barely notice the difference. I saw in 3D, then I saw it in 2D. Didn't look anymore amazing. They only difference were those bothersome glasses. I wholeheartedly hate that movie btw, one of the reasons being the effect it had the the film industry. Everything has to be 3D now, even if there's no fucking reason behind it. Well, except for money. Great way to scam an extra ten bucks out of an unsuspecting moviegoer. So I really don't see the point in 3D graphics (which probably won't work well without glasses) on crappy DS graphics.

You have a point, appearance doesn't mean much, and some people make to much of it. Just look at the new PSP. Still, it contributes to the feeling of rebuying a more expensive version of the DS. I really does, for me at least. I mean, they're not going to change anything else, why not freshen up the desgin a little?

I'm actually impressed with the Sony handheld. Thing is tho, I don't honestly see how it is innovative...at least how it is anymore innovative than the 3DS besides graphical power. As far as I can tell, both systems will be focusing on wireless communications. Both have an accelerometer built in. Both have touch screens. Really, as far as I'm concerned, the NGP only has that sweet screen and overall power over the 3DS.
A lot of people, here and on other forums, keep questioning me on my use of innovation. So let me make this clear; by dictionary definition, to innovate is to introduce something new or different, or make changes in anything established. How is the NGP not innovative? Sorry, but I've never seen that kind of graphical power on a handheld, nor have seen a touch-screen on both the front and back of a system. And what about dual-analog sticks, those won't do anything to enhance a gaming experience. And hell, if the sixaxis motion sensing actually works, we have a fucking masterpiece on out hands. Personally, I don't give two shits about 3G, cameras, or any of that other BS, but the rest sounds amazing.

Thank you, Sony, that's exactly what I wanted on my gaming system -- a GPS. This is a valuable investment and justifies the price I pay for your product.

My point is that your opinions are null and void and I really have no reason to carry out a conversation with you.

What about the games?

For me, I don't really care so much whether my handheld has two analog sticks, or has 3D, or has AR, or has GPS or motion-sensing abilities, or can go online and call people.

What I care about is whether I can play Pokemon and Zelda and Mario and Kirby and what have you.

So that's mostly why I would choose a 3DS over the NGP.

Maybe you're not super into Nintendo IP, and like Sony's better. Well, that's perfectly fine, get yourself an NGP.

But nobody who's sold based on games is going to consider the other system, or concerned that their choice isn't the best handheld available. In the end, we're going to be playing video games. So get the system that has the games you want to play.

Man, people really don't like to read my posts around here, do they?

So many things factor into buying a console/handheld, but it seems that so many forget the games that are actually being released on said systems. And, to be perfectly honest, there are very few announced launch games that interest me for the 3DS. Kid Icarus and Professor Layton are pretty much the only ones, and I can definitely do without Professor Layton.

[blah blah blah]

And then I look back at the 3DS, and I'm a bit disgusted, because it'll probably sell better than the PSP, probably because of the difference in price. But it doesn't matter to me; it'll be amazing, and the number of developers already planning games for the PSP2 is... large. :D

Totally respect that, though. Never been a huge fan of Nintendo (loved the 64, but more of PSX fag), so I can do without all of those classics. Sure, I'd love to play Kid Icarus, but still, it's not a necessity. For those of you who are wholeheartedly Nintedo fans, I can understand how you can get locked in with a system, even though it isn't much different from the original DS, just because of some of the classic games.

A) 3d is so overrated it's not funny. Also, I don't have the ability to see 3D properly because I have a lazy eye.

B) the launch titles look like the dumbest things ever.

c) It's overpriced.

I'm going to wait until my birthday, thanks much.

^ So, basically, "It's rubbish, but I want one anyway"? :p

I'm quite excited about it, but there's no way I'll be able to afford it for a good time after its release. Hopefully it'll fall in price by the time they bring out a good Pokemon game one it.

^ So, basically, "It's rubbish, but I want one anyway"? :p

I'm quite excited about it, but there's no way I'll be able to afford it for a good time after its release. Hopefully it'll fall in price by the time they bring out a good Pokemon game one it.

Well, you can turn off the 3D, so he can still play it in 2D mode.

@Erif: I just wanted you to clear up some things for me. Thank you.

@Peeps hatin on the 3D: Hell, I don't care whether you like 3D or not. I refuse to see 3D movies because A) I wear Glasses and B) The majority of the time, it's not used properly. But with the 3DS, you do not have to wear those stupid glasses. Not to mention that video games are an immersive experience, and the simple addition of 3D (when it isn't used to fling shit into your face) can really help that. You could look at a mountain and really get a feel for how tall it is. Or, such as in Nintendogs + Cats, you can have animals come out of the screen and it looks like they are really licking you. You can even do more subtle stuff if you don't want the 3D to be too noticeable, like bringing the HUD out of the game world.

I'm not saying that you have to like, but at least recognize its uses in gaming. :/

Back
Top Bottom