• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nerds VS Socialite?

So you're asking us if we'd prefer to be someone like that over a nerd? o_0;

I don't really get this question. Seems like an Introverted vrs. Extroverted, where neither are 'better', except... for two stereotypes that are both used in derogatory ways.
Since when it socialite derogatory?

Well, I'm both so I'm an epic win. But I'm troubled, and bisexual...so that means I'm still and epic fail.

Both are valuable in the long run. Nerds make what socialites envy. Without the nerds, we would be left without technology. Without the socialites, there would be no one to admire our work. Therefore, both are equally important.

True - but being intelligent will get you farther in life than having a nice pair of pants.
2pt5jid.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I can't stand it when people act like there is some non-existent war going on between people with social skills and people with intelligence, and sometimes even that the two are mutually exclusive. I'm not saying that's what this is, but it's rooted in it. "Popular" and "unpopular" don't really exist, as it's more about cliques than anything, and it is the people within that clique that can be rated by popularity... sometimes.

I'm not the most socially able person on Earth, I'm extremely shy and there have been numerous cases when I actually have got engrossed in talking to people I don't know too well only to have them complain that I use too many "big words". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that I'm probably the one who'll do better in the long run, as sad as that is.

But it isn't fair to go all holier-than-thou and start telling yourself the person you are talking to is going to fail in life for not liking your choice of clothes. To be fair, jeans are really the norm, and it's silly to act like people who wear them are conformists or something. And yeah, people who criticise others because they have a poor taste in clothes (in their eyes) are usually dicks that won't go far. I agree with Cirrus in that nobody here is going to say they like people who "are loud, rude and don't care about their education" more, so I'm a little confused...

One thing I have noticed, though, is that more sociable people generally live happier lives - at least in the teenage years - whereas others strive for success more often, which in my opinion is much less important. I'm definitely not above laughing inside when a chav acts like they are better than me, though, no matter how much they enjoy their life. They won't when they're 50.

I'd gladly be both.

A socialite leads a happier life as far as I've seen, but I don't want to abandon my intelligence.

Eh.
I'm a nerd. AND I WEAR JEANS!

Although my social skills aren't terrible unless the other person is a jerk, in which case I just don't talk to them.

Also, there is a difference between "socialite" and "jerk." Usually a very fine line when you're a teenager.

I actually have got engrossed in talking to people I don't know too well only to have them complain that I use too many "big words".
There's this kid who threatened to punch me in the face for using big words. For saying "discovered." I'm not really scared of him, he's just the lots of bark and no bite kid.

Maybe this is just me being too much of an optimist, but I can usually find something to like in everybody, "nerd" or "socialite". Just because somebody isn't an avid reader or isn't serious about their schoolwork doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be a failure at life or that they have no real merits. People just have different strengths.

So I think that both can be successful (and both can be failures). Intelligence is obviously a useful tool to have, and inventing things or just being generally innovative is likely to make you good money. But social skills, too, can be a gold mine. You may be a genius, but your idea may never go anywhere unless you have some "connections", which, inevitably, require some socializing. Being able to get along with people and make them happy can be even more valuable than being a math wizard.

But of course, as others have mentioned, these two qualities aren't mutually exclusive, and you should try to be a little bit of both if possible. As for the stuck-up guy in the fancy jeans... try being friendly to him even if he's an ass to you and you might still find something to like about him.

There's this kid who threatened to punch me in the face for using big words. For saying "discovered." I'm not really scared of him, he's just the lots of bark and no bite kid.
At one point my female cousin actually slapped me each time I said a big word. So I just rattled off a few vocabulary words from a textbook from my English class and sat as I got number to each slap. (We were in the same grade, too, but in different school districts.)

I notice an extreme lack of socialite nerds in this thread.

REPRESENT!

You can be a nerd and a socialite at the same time o3o; Nearly all of my irl friends are nerds of some sort; we still hang out at the mall, each others' houses, etc. although we tend to ogle Japanese merchandise and computer hardware much in the same way as "normal" people stare at designer clothing (and other stuff I could care less about).

Also: internet is not purely nerd business; it's primarily a means of communication and thus is probably more typical of "socialite" than nerd. (posting on forums or going on chatrooms also counts as being a socialite, of sorts)

^ This. Especially because it's increasingly possible to do nerdy things in a group, with games coming out with more and more wi-fi/mutiplayer options and such. Because you like computers doesn't mean you don't like humanity, and vice-versa.

I like both, but humanity's one helluva lot more fun to hug :)

I guess I'm both then. I like things that are considered incredibly nerdy and stupid, but I like to socialize and be with people when I'm not in one of those moods. :|

Well, I'm both so I'm an epic win. But I'm troubled, and bisexual...so that means I'm still and epic fail.

No you're not epic win.

You are indeed epic fail though. Also bisexuality has nothing to do with whether you are epic fail/win or not.

Also, I think I'd be extremely social if I knew people my age who were actually decent people. :/ And I'd be more social if my friends were more social, but as it is we don't meet up very often.

Sociableness (new word~?) is a really grey area, I think...

Also, this is directed at nobody in particular, I'm just saying it randomly.

bisexuals get twice as large a potential dating pool ;O

but yeah- the majority of the population for people like "us" (or you or me singular... hard to pick an accurate pronoun without sounding patronizing) seems to be on the closed-minded side.

it really depends on how you talk, I think. I don't mind discussing everyday topics like how the world is, what our handwriting looks like, things maybe everybody can relate to.

I try not to reject people too fast; it's a bad habit I think I inherited from the tcod oldfags. because, damn, I was a terrible phony/idiot when I first set foot on the internets.

Back
Top Bottom