• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Language Barrier in Music

Dewgong

babababa
Ha, I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but doesn't it bother you when people disregard music as total crap because it's not in their language? I've had people at my school tell me that my music is not real music, because it wasn't in English. In fact, I've had people at my school tell me that it wasn't music at all.

It bothers me. Stupid language barrier.

Eh, I actually tend to prefer music that isn't English. I'm really not sure why...

I don't mind at all; it doesn't make it any less pretty, and if you're bothered you don't know what you're singing along to, you can look up the lyrics.

Plus, lots of translated songs are really awkward, unless their meaning gets changed almost completely, so there's no other way to listen to them.

Plus, looking up a Disney song you like on youtube in every concievable langauage is far, far too much fun X3

Ha, I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but doesn't it bother you when people disregard music as total crap because it's not in their language? I've had people at my school tell me that my music is not real music, because it wasn't in English. In fact, I've had people at my school tell me that it wasn't music at all.

what

I have never met anyone that stupid. You must be *really* unlucky.

On the whole, I prefer the sound of a song to its lyrics; thus, it doesn't really matter if it's in English, Japanese or Old Norse. As long as it SOUNDS good. :D

ok Dewgong go find a new school please

Heh, people at my school are like that as well. I'm gradually going into other languages as well, but I happened to pick up Japanese music and there are some really great Japanese musicians out there that I just wouldn't have found were I to follow the attitude of 'stick to your own country/language'. That goes for any language. Who's to say you wouldn't enjoy another language's music better?

Plus there's the whole culture aspect, I find listening to tons and tons of say, Britpop, really really boring, whereas Japanese pop has a completely different effect. And I know this would be the same whatever language you look into.

Besides, it's all music. That's like saying you're only allowed to listen to the genres your country has formed/made the most popular or something. >_> Listen to what you like, damnit.

I love Japanese pop, Austrian pop, German pop and industrial metal, Eastern European folk, Scandinavian black metal, Indian traditional and Irish traditional.

opaltiger said:
ok Dewgong go find a new school please
I wish. I know, my school has serious problems.

there are some really great Japanese musicians out there that I just wouldn't have found were I to follow the attitude of 'stick to your own country/language'.

Same. I like plenty of Japanese music, not because it's in Japanese though. There is a different thing from American bands and blah... Morning Musume is not one of them btw

I don't get the hype of Japanese pop music and personally find all of what I've heard pretty shitty but yeah that attitude is fucking terrible and intolerant.

what

I have never met anyone that stupid. You must be *really* unlucky.
This. It might be because there's a more diverse population where I live than where you live, but honestly, I've never met a soul with such a close-minded attitude. Even if I did, I certainly won't talk with them again, as most of the music I listen to is not in English.
I don't get the hype of Japanese pop music and personally find all of what I've heard pretty shitty

Try Korean pop, although it tends to be more in-between the styles of J-pop and American pop, so you might not find it any better.

But since the Japanese pop fans are already here, I'll just say this, Korean pop rules!

Same. I like plenty of Japanese music, not because it's in Japanese though. There is a different thing from American bands and blah... Morning Musume is not one of them btw

Are you saying Morning Musume isn't different fom American bands? o.o Because that's the strangest thing I've ever heard.

Korean pop... I haven't heard most of it, and the little I've heard consisted mostly absolutely terrible boy bands. XDD I'm sure it isn't all like that though.

I don't get the hype of Japanese pop music and personally find all of what I've heard pretty shitty but yeah that attitude is fucking terrible and intolerant.

I don't like most of the mainstream stuff at all, but there's a lot of good J-pop to be found that aren't as popular in Japan.

Last edited:
I listen to lots of foreign music; mostly German (because I have this huge fetish with anything everything German), but off the top of my head, I can name a few bands that sing in Norwegian, French, Spanish, Danish, Cornish (and other Celtic languages), and Latin.

Yeah, when I went to Korea I used to pump up the radio and there were these absolutely awesome and often hilarious songs, it was pretty sweet.

Oh and I need to get in on this German music thing, it's a great language. I'd also like to find some good Russian music since I have a massive hardon for it too. I've only found the anthem, some techno and a pop music video about Putin so-far.

Yeah, when I went to Korea I used to pump up the radio and there were these absolutely awesome and often hilarious songs, it was pretty sweet.

Oh and I need to get in on this German music thing, it's a great language. I'd also like to find some good Russian music since I have a massive hardon for it too. I've only found the anthem, some techno and a pop music video about Putin so-far.
t.A.T.u.?

"This video is not available in your country."
Curses!

Yeah I have one of their songs (the all-popular They're Not Gonna Get Us) but I didn't know they sang in Russian/ had forgotten they were forgotten they're Russian, hurf. I'll look into them

For some reason I'm really reluctant to listen to any music not in English, but on the other hand, I love Sigur Rós. So... I dunno.

i have no qualms listening to music in other languages. i don't really - the only music i have not in english is one eri nobuchika album, which is in japanese - but i don't think i wouldn't enjoy it if i did.

There is plenty of good music that isn't in English... I've never heard anybody say that only English music is good myself.

My dad, however, refuses to watch some foreign films because he doesn't want to have to read subtitles. I think that's pretty dumb personally because some films that aren't in English happen to be really good. :3

Back
Top Bottom