• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Calvinball 2019: The Days Are Just Packed

As an update - just one more submission left, so I should be able to tally the results and do the end-of-game reveal by the end of the weekend.

I hope that you all found the game enjoyable or entertaining at some point! A number of people have said that they didn't find the game very fun or they felt like they weren't able to engage with the game. As a host I want to try to make it a fun environment for everyone playing, and I'm sorry that it wasn't.

It's kinda hard when your entire mafia gets peeked consecutively

.............. it was me. sorry. i was moving into my new place, but i just went ahead and submitted.

fwiw i thought this game was pretty fun! i wasn't expecting it to be a super serious or even, like, playable game so it more or less met my expectations. i guess it must've been frustrating for the mafia though... sorry about that. thanks for putting this on keldeo!

Alright, the results are in. Sorry again for the late reveal, and thanks for bearing with me!

[hide=1. Which is your favorite alignment to play?]Town: 4
Butterfree
Eifie
Panini
qva

Mafia: 2
Chemist1422
Hiikaru

Third Party: 1
Stryke

Egg: 1
RedneckPhoenix

Eevee: 3
Eifie
Hiikaru
qva

Butterfree: 1
Butterfree

Pikachu: 1
Panini

Shinx: 1
Chemist1422

Voltorb: 1
Stryke

RedneckPhoenix

Mewtwo: 3
Eifie
Hiikaru
qva

Dialga: 1
Butterfree

Latias: 1
Chemist1422

Rayquaza: 1
Panini

Regigigas: 1
Stryke

RedneckPhoenix

Red: 2
Eifie
Panini

Sapphire: 2
Hiikaru
qva

Ruby: 1
Chemist1422

Pearl: 1
Stryke

Yellow: 1
Butterfree

GZZ16K0.jpg
: 1

RedneckPhoenix

Normal: 2
Hiikaru
Panini

Fairy: 1
Stryke

Ground: 1
Chemist1422

Ice: 1
Eifie

Poison: 1
qva

Psychic: 1
Butterfree

RedneckPhoenix

qva: 13
Eifie: 13
Hiikaru: 12

Panini: 10
Butterfree: 8
Chemist1422: 6
Stryke: 5
RedneckPhoenix: 5

qva and Eifie win as SHEEP champions!

Hiikaru gets a silver medal for his close second place finish, and Stryke and RedneckPhoenix get special recognition as the PEEHS winners!
[/spoiler]
Eifie: 4
Chemist1422
Eifie
Hiikaru
qva

Butterfree: 3
Butterfree
Hiikaru
qva

blazheirio889: 2
Stryke
Panini

qva: 2
Butterfree
qva

Stryke: 2
Butterfree
Chemist1422

Chemist1422: 1
Chemist1422

Keldeo: 1
Hiikaru

Mai: 1
Stryke

MF: 1
Eifie

Light: 1
Eifie

Panini: 1
Panini

RespectTheBlade: 1
Stryke

Superbird: 1
Panini

Egg: 6 (incorrect :c)
RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix

Hobbes: 4
Hiikaru
Stryke
Panini
qva

Uncle Max: 4
Eifie
Chemist1422
Chemist1422
Chemist1422

Calvin: 2
Hiikaru
qva

Calvin's Dad: 2
Butterfree
Hiikaru

Susie: 2
Butterfree
qva

Calvin's Mom: 1
Butterfree

Cop with Hat: 1
Eifie

Miss Wormwood: 1
Stryke

Mr Bun: 1
Panini

Moe: 1
Stryke

Rosalyn: 1
Panini

Ronald: 1
Eifie

RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix

Celebi: 3
Chemist1422
Chemist1422
Hiikaru

Keldeo: 3
Eifie
Eifie
Eifie

Mew: 3
Hiikaru
Stryke
qva

Meltan: 2
Butterfree
Panini

Victini: 2
Panini
qva

Zeraora: 2
Hiikaru
Stryke

Darkrai: 1
Butterfree

Genesect: 1
Stryke

Hoopa: 1
Hiikaru

Jirachi: 1
Chemist1422

Manaphy: 1
Butterfree

Melmetal: 1
Panini

Shaymin: 1
qva

Egg: 4.5 (incorrect :c)
RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix

Brave: 2
Eifie
Panini

Docile: 2
Panini
Stryke

Relaxed: 2
Butterfree
qva

Sassy: 2
Butterfree
qva

Timid: 2
Chemist1422
Hiikaru

Bashful: 1
Chemist1422

Bold: 1
qva

Calm: 1
Hiikaru

Gentle: 1
Hiikaru

Hardy: 1
Eifie

Impish: 1
Stryke

Jolly: 1
Eifie

Lax: 1
Butterfree

Lonely: 1
Chemist1422

Serious: 1
Panini

Quirky: 1
Stryke

Egg: 3 (incorrect :c)
RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix

Spinda: 4
Chemist1422
Chemist1422
Chemist1422
Panini

Banette: 3
Butterfree
Eifie
Stryke

Mewtwo: 2
Hiikaru
qva

Natu: 2
Butterfree
Stryke

Ninetales: 2
Eifie
Hiikaru

Butterfree: 1
qva

Cubone: 1
Butterfree

Lapras: 1
Eifie

Misdreavus: 1
Stryke

Pikachu: 1
Hiikaru

Scyther: 1
qva

Togetic: 1
Panini

RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix
RedneckPhoenix

Muk: 6 (incorrect :c)
Panini

Stryke: 26
Butterfree: 27

Hiikaru: 31
Panini: 31
Eifie: 31
qva: 32
Chemist1422: 42
RedneckPhoenix: 76.5

Stryke wins as the PEEHS champion!

Butterfree gets a silver medal for her close second place finish, and Chemist1422 and RedneckPhoenix get special recognition as the SHEEP winners!
[/hide]

So in the end, the winners of this game are...

Everyone won once for being converted to mafia and reviving at the end of the game!

qva won 3 times with her SHEEP and dodgeball victory!

Panini, Eifie, and Stryke won 2 times with their dodgeball victory, SHEEP victory, and PEEHS victory, respectively!

Butterfree and Hiikaru won once, and got PEEHS and SHEEP silver medals, respectively!

Chemist1422 and RedneckPhoenix won once, and took home SHEEPEEHS trophies for their reverse finish in each event!

Thank you all for playing! :D

Hosting Notes

In general, I think a big issue with this unrestricted version of Calvinball Mafia is that it seems hard to effectively balance "optimal" with "fun" in making proposals. If your goal as a Calvinball player is to win, it escalates into a competition of ideas and conditionals that isn't terribly interesting - town can give themselves infinite cops, doctors, vigs, etc. but mafia can just as easily gain godfathers/conversions, strongman shots, bulletproof vests, etc., and when both sides are "overpowered" it can lead to situations that aren't really fun for either. On the other hand, if your goal is to have fun, what is fun for you might not be fun for another player, and especially not knowing your team you are more incentivized to make self-centered proposals, or ones that might confuse people trying to win. In addition, the extended nights as a result of the proposal/condition mechanic made many of the phases become tedious. In this game, I hope the ways that I balanced proposals turned out to be interesting for everyone involved!

Some hosting errors I made were not clearly stating the lack of power roles, not stating the default handling of things like phase extensions and tied lynch votes, and not consistently keeping the phase update times and notifying people of when the phase changed. I should have made these more clear in signups and throughout the game. I also mistakenly didn't reveal the flavor for Chemist or Butterfree's deaths.

--

Quick FAQ

Who were the mafia?
Hiikaru and Chemist1422. Hiikaru recruited Eifie on Night 1. Eifie recruited everyone else on Night 3 right before the SHEEP event.

How did X die?
  • Eifie caused her own death on Night 1 (with the stipulation that she would revive on Day 3) and again on Night 3.
  • Butterfree was killed by the mafia on Night 2.
  • qva, RedneckPhoenix, and Panini died as a result of a mafia proposal that killed everyone on the leading wagon at the end of Day 3.
  • Stryke was killed by the mafia on Night 3.

Why did everyone flip as mafia?
Chemist1422, Eifie, Hiikaru, and Stryke were actually mafia at the time of their deaths. Butterfee, qva, RedneckPhoenix, and Panini revealed as mafia despite being town because of a mafia proposal to cause their nightkill and the people who were on the leading wagon at the end of the day to flip as mafia. Everyone told the truth about who they inspected, and all inspection results were accurate.

What was the porridge?
Stryke proposed that RedneckPhoenix would be informed that he was "designated a bowl of porridge" on Night 1.

Where did the post restrictions/events come from?
  • Stryke proposed the "T" restriction.
  • qva proposed the "Olde Highe English" restriction.
  • RedneckPhoenix proposed the no gifs restriction.
  • Panini proposed the Post Bingo and Dodgeball events.
  • Eifie proposed the SHEEP event.

Will there be an actual game of mafia now?
Yes! If there is enough interest, I plan to host a Sword/Shield themed game around November. It will be either all power roles or mostly vanilla depending on playerlist size and preference. And I don't know if someone else is thinking of putting some signups up later this month, or in September or October!

i did not know that you were supposed to go for a low score in the peehs event. i was really like "calvin" and "hobbes" smfh

also i won the dodgeball event by literally not doing it at all !?

Thank you for hosting Keldeo!! While it was definitely confusing to try and solve when approached from a traditional mafia point of view, it was definitely fun imo as a unique and lighthearted game!!

i did not know that you were supposed to go for a low score in the peehs event. i was really like "calvin" and "hobbes" smfh

also i won the dodgeball event by literally not doing it at all !?

Dodgeball is not about the throwing

It's about the dodging :grin:

- #1: Night 0 begins.
- #4: Day 1 begins. No one was killed; "T" and "Olde Highe English" post restrictions; Post Bingo event.
- #41: Night 1 begins. Chemist1422, Loved Mafia, was lynched; Panini wins Post Bingo.
- #44: Day 2 begins. Eifie, Mafia, was killed; Chemist1422 can post; animated GIF post restriction; Dodgeball event.
- #100: Night 2 begins. No one was lynched.
- #104: Day 3 begins. Butterfree, Mafia, was killed; Eifie is alive; Dodgeball eliminations.
- #261: Night 3 begins. Hiikaru, Mafia, was lynched; qva, RedneckPhoenix, and Panini, all Mafia, were killed; qva and Panini win Dodgeball.
- #264: SHEEPEEHS³ event. Start of post-game discussion.
- #305: SHEEPEEHS³ results. Formal game over; winners; hosting notes/FAQ.
- #316: Thread summary, role PMs, and night actions.
[hide=Chemist1422: Calvin's Dad, Mafia]

You are Calvin's dad!
plymouthrock.gif

You are Calvin!
Every night, you can propose something you want to happen. I'll either approve the proposal or give you a condition for it to take effect, and you can decide to accept or reject the condition.

Every night starting Night 1, the Mafia can send one of its members to kill another player.

Your alignment is Mafia. You know the other player aligned with Mafia is [partner]. You can talk privately at any time. The Mafia win condition is for the Mafia alignment to reach a majority of living players.
o61k3nhewi221.jpg

You are Tracer Bullet!
CalvinAndHobbes_11.gif

You are Calvin's mom!
susie-derkins-blackmails-calvin.png

You are Susie Derkins!
kls1ut7b3wi21.jpg

You are Rosalyn!
spiff01.jpg

You are Spaceman Spiff!
mood11.jpg

You are Hobbes!
Every night, you can propose something you want to happen. I'll either approve the proposal or give you a condition for it to take effect, and you can decide to accept or reject the condition.

Your alignment is Town. The Town win condition is for all threats to Town to be eliminated.
[/spoiler]
Chemist1422
I propose that all mafia members become loved D1

Accepted. The "loved" modifier will appear in role flips and other results that describe roles on d1.

Eifie
I propose that I be granted a private chat with Panini in which we may only communicate using emojis and dog gifs. Using letter emojis to construct messages is not permitted. Adding text to the dog gifs is not permitted (but gifs that already had text on them are okay). We may continue to post in this chat even after our deaths.

Accepted.

qva
i propose that all messages posted tomorrow must be in Olde HIghe English. or else.

Accepted.

Stryke
No one can use the letter "t" in any of their posts for the day. They either have to work around it or just go without it.

Accep_ed.

Panini
I'd like to propose post bingo! We all guess the names of who we think will post at a random set of post numbers 5 times and the person with the most guesses correct gets a prize at the end of the day. You may not reveal or hint at your guesses or guess your own name and mafia can't discuss this event in their private chat.

Accepted. (Since I don't know the length of the day in advance, at the end of the day, I will randomly generate 5 post numbers between the SOD post and the EOD post, not counting my own, for the event.)

RedneckPhoenix
I would like to set my house on fire and hide in the woods, killing everyone who targeted me.

Accepted.

Hiikaru
i propose a rule change that mafia kills turn people into mafia instead of killing them

Condition: You can only apply this effect to the mafia kill once.

Butterfree
I propose you tell me whether Chemist1422 is mafia.

Accepted.

Night 0 Results
- Panini and Eifie are granted private communications with restrictions.
- Butterfree learns Chemist1422 is Mafia.
- RedneckPhoenix's house burns down. Because no one targeted him, nothing else happened.
- The mafia gain the role modifier "loved" for d1, as well as a one-shot ability that will allow them to change their kill into a recruitment.
- Post restrictions for d1: People may not use the letter "t" and must write in Olde Highe English. One strike = warning, two strikes = vote for the day taken away, three strikes = proposal power for the night taken away, four strikes = death.

Day 1
- Event: Post Bingo!
- Butterfree receives a T warning for post 13.
- Eifie receives a T warning for post 16.
- Panini receives two T warnings for post 22 and post 23.
- Hiikaru receives a T warning for post 25.
- Stryke receives a T warning for post 31.
- qva receives a T warning for post 32.
- Chemist1422 receives a T warning for post 34.
- Panini wins Post Bingo with guesses of Eifie, Eifie, RedneckPhoenix, Hiikaru, and RedneckPhoenix. As a prize, she can use on Night 1 an announcer, doctor, neighborizer, or inventor action.

- Chemist1422 is lynched.

Eifie
I propose that I become a recluse or whatever it's called. my death is announced at sod2 with a full role flip or whatever you do for deaths. for the next day/night cycle I am considered mechanically dead (i.e. don't count for parity, etc.) and any proposals targeting me will silently fail. I return to the game at sod3. if I die during n1 by any other means, this proposal is voided.

Accepted.

qva
today i propose that the first time a town member accurately votes on a mafioso, it counts for double, but the first time a mafia member votes on a power role, it counts for double.

Accepted. The way I will treat this is that for each new day, the first town member to vote a mafioso will have their vote silently doubled only if it is on that mafioso - i.e. they could vote the mafia, unvote the mafia, and then revote them and the vote would still count for double at the end of the day, though they would not be informed of it and it would still show up as one vote in vote totals. The same would go for the first time each day that a mafia votes on a town who has taken an action similar to a conventional power role the previous night.

Stryke
At the end of the night phase, send RedneckPhoenix a PM that simply says "You have been designated as a bowl of porridge!". This designation is arbitrary and meaningless, and if he asks for any further detail on said PM, don't say anything.

Accepted.

Panini
I would like to play dodgeball!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zw1ejmPmXY

Each player y gets one ball a day and can privately pm who they would like to throw it at (Player x) during the day. Player x during the night phase is then told how many balls have been thrown at them. They must choose whether they want to Dodge(1), Duck, Dip, Dive or Dodge(2). Only 2 of these will correctly dodge the ball, the rest will get you hit in the face like a goober. (I don't suppose you actually have to rand which option does which it's just a 2/5 chance but like the flavour ya know).

Getting hit eliminates you from the minigame, as does dying. Last person standing gets a free win on top of their pre-existing win condition! Or an event prize, whichever way you want to do it.

Accepted.

RedneckPhoenix
i'd like to make the posting of gifs punishable by instantaneous death

Condition: This only applies to animated, embedded gifs (ones using the tag). This is mostly to make it easier for me to enforce, but will allow links to gifs.[/I][/quote]

[b]Hiikaru[/b]

[quote]proposal: chemist gains the power to post but can't do anything else

[I]Accepted. His votes won't count, though, since he's still dead.[/I][/quote]

[b]Butterfree[/b]
[quote]All right, I propose that, hear me out, you now tell me if [I]Panini[/I] is mafia

[I]Condition: On Night 2, you can't learn someone's alignment with your proposal.[/I][/quote][/spoiler]

[b]Night 1 Actions[/b]
- Hiikaru kills Eifie, applying the effect that the kill turns the target into mafia rather than killing them. (Even though Hiikaru's action was a mafia kill that was altered, Eifie's proposal was worded so that the proposal would be voided only if she died, so she was converted and then her death was announced.)
- Panini uses her doctor prize on Butterfree. I made a mistake when originally stating the prize as applying to Night 2 instead of Night 1, and checked with Panini to make sure she also meant Night 1.

[b]Night 1 Results[/b]
- Butterfree learns that Panini is not mafia.
- The first vote from a mafia onto Panini or Butterfree will be silently doubled. The first vote from a town onto a mafia will be silently doubled.
- RedneckPhoenix is told "You have been designated as a [b]bowl of porridge![/b]"
- Chemist1422 can post.
- Eifie is converted to mafia, gaining access to the mafia factional abilities.
- Eifie's death will be announced at start of day 2. She will return to the game at the start of day 3.
- Post restrictions for d2: Animated, embedded gifs may not be posted and are punished by death.

[b]Day 2[/b]
- Event: Dodgeball!
- RedneckPhoenix throws a dodgeball at Stryke and hits.
- Hiikaru throws a dodgeball at RedneckPhoenix and hits.
- Panini throws a dodgeball at RedneckPhoenix and hits.
- The following people are still in the Dodgeball game: qva, Panini, Hiikaru, Butterfree.

- No one is lynched.

[spoiler=Night 2 Proposals][b]qva[/b]
[quote]is there any way i can discover the alignment of hiikaru?

[I]Condition: on Night 3, you can’t make a proposal.[/I][/quote]

[b]Stryke[/b]
[quote]Tell Panini and Hiikaru that I think they're both super cool, but don't tell either of them it was me who said it. Just tell them that a player in the game thinks they're super cool

[I]Accepted.[/I][/quote]

[b]Panini[/b]
[quote]I'd like to make a proposal to have it be publicly declared how many members of each faction we started with and how many members of each faction are still alive at the start of the day.

[I]Condition: only the number of Town will be broadcast.[/I][/quote]

[b]RedneckPhoenix[/b]
[quote]I'd like to open a complementary dairy bar, thus figuring out Butterfree's alignment

[I]Condition: on Night 3, you can’t make a proposal.[/I][/quote]

[b]Hiikaru[/b]
[quote]I propose that Chemist may make one proposal tonight for each night that he has been dead (including this one, so he gets 2 proposals tonight). His proposals may not be interfered with by any means and should anyone try to find out the text of this proposal or either of his, they instead get a bunch of undecipherable glitch text. in return for the chemist proposal he cannot be targeted by any mafia proposals for the rest of the game

[I]Accepted. (Both of the proposals could have been combined into one proposal and used instead of this one, and would have been accepted.)[/I][/quote]

[b]Chemist1422, through Hiikaru[/b]
[quote]I propose that everyone who is voting for the leading wagon at the end of d3 shall die immediately after the lynch. These deaths cannot be prevented by any means and everyone who dies in this way will flip mafia. If d3 ends in a no lynch, a random mafia member dies instead.

I propose that if our kill succeeds tonight, the person who is killed shall flip mafia. If our kill fails, their real alignment will instead publicly be broadcast in the thread.

[I]Accepted.[/I][/quote]

[b]Butterfree[/b]
[quote]For tonight, I propose you tell me what Eifie's N1 proposal was.

[I]Accepted.[/I][/quote][/spoiler]

[b]Night 2 Actions[/b]
- Hiikaru kills Butterfree.

[b]Night 2 Results[/b]
- Butterfree's proposal silently fails due to Eifie's N1 proposal, so she doesn't learn anything
- qva learns that Hiikaru is Mafia.
- RedneckPhoenix learns that Butterfree is Town.
- Panini and Hiikaru learn: "Someone in the game thinks you're [b]super cool.[/b]"

- Butterfree dies, and as a result of Chemist1422's proposal, flips Mafia.

- RedneckPhoenix and Stryke are hit by dodgeballs and eliminated from the dodgeball game. Butterfree is eliminated, as she died. Remaining are qva, Panini, and Hiikaru.

[b]Day 3[/b]
- Everyone who is voting for the leading wagon at the end of day 3 will die after the lynch and flip Mafia.
- It is broadcast that there were 6 Town at the beginning of the game and there are 4 Town alive.
- The first vote from Hiikaru or Eifie onto RedneckPhoenix, qva, or Butterfree will be doubled; the first vote from a town onto a mafia will be doubled.

- Hiikaru is lynched. As they are voting the top wagon, qva, RedneckPhoenix, and Panini also die.
- Panini aimed a dodgeball at Hiikaru, but both of them are eliminated from the dodgeball game anyway, so it doesn't hit.

[spoiler=Night 3 Proposals][b]Eifie[/b]
[quote]I propose that I give up my life in order for Stryke, along with each person who has flipped as mafia at some point in the game, to be converted to the mafia alignment, This proposal shall not be preventable by any means and shall take effect before the accept/decline phase such that Stryke may be informed of the text of this proposal in its entirety and strongly urged to rescind his proposal should it interfere with his death in any way.

At dawn, the army of dead mafia zombies shall rise. They shall ready themselves to do battle one last time to determine the true winner of this Calvinball. The task: a tcodf-themed PEEHS, devised by the one and only Gamemaster Keldeo. Should the PEEHS end in a tie, the players in question shall enter sudden death in a manner to be decided by the Gamemaster. After the bloody battle, the winner of the PEEHS shall be crowned winner of the winners of this year's Calvinball. Everyone else shall receive a participation ribbon.

[I]Accepted. (There was no sudden death because the event took awhile so I thought it would be more fun without.)[/I][/quote]

[b]Stryke[/b]
[quote]If Eifie uses the word "wolf" twice in the same post she automatically dies

[I]Accepted.[/I][/quote][/hide][/spoiler]

Back
Top Bottom